• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NR: Russian state news goes hilariously overboard in spinning flight MH17 crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but again my point was that the stuff depicted in the series is largely a modernization of what were in the books. The books have faked deaths. There weren't planes, so the books don't have planes. There were corrupt governments, but they took a different form. Zeroing in on the spoiler without recognizing that the tropes themselves are a part of pop culture for an incredibly long time and familiar to anyone who has ever had an interest in the character sort of suggests that the anger about the spoiler is dramatically outsized to the actual priming effect it'll have on someone's enjoyment when they do choose to watch the show. Especially since the nature of the actual spoiler appears to be "Just like in Sherlock! Woah!" rather than anything that actually explains how the episode unfolds, which episode it is, etc.

The thing with spoilers is that, I think generally people would agree that there's a certain 'grace period' where it's a bit mean to tell some a surprise twist or ending, especially when its a popular book or show that hasn't been made available in some territories. You seem to agree with this because the main thrust of your post seemed to be "Those books have been out for a long time" (see also your Snow White thing). And you seemed to be under the impression that the spoiler under discussion was "Sherlock Holmes fakes his own death".

Yeah, I'd say the grace period for that spoiler has long gone, as well as Snow White, Darth Vader etc. but for the spoiler we're actually talking about from the modern Sherlock series it's a little bit more debatable.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Oh my god, it's just like that one guy on NeoGaf said. This is all a conspiracy! THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW!

Edit: Nevermind fellow humans. It is not a conspiracy at all. Haha what was I thinking. Return to your normal lives like I did, everything is fine and okay.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I know its about as profound as the wandering tinfoil mind of a stereotypical pot smoker with dreads, but when you think about it there are a LOT of things that WE can be getting misinformation on as well. We are rarely there at the scene.

Imagine how bad it will be when more countries start runnin their own internet pipes. Keep things isoated.

ЯAW;122136199 said:
Sad to see where Russia is heading. What is even sadder is the fact Putin still has massive support from the people of Russia.

This. Putin has like an 83% approval rating supposedly. He's really fired up a weird combo of Nationalism, nostalgia, and victim complex.

Pedrito

And he's starting to get quite a following in the West too. Libertarians, especially, seem to eat up whatever RT feeds them. Of course, they tend to be quite vocal so maybe there aren't that many of them, but they're in every comment sections of every media outlets, big and small, repeating the same stuff ad nauseam.

Azih

Instinctively, I feel like someone who would believe this theory is suffering from mental illness... but I don't know what living somewhere like that is like. They still have the internet in Russia though, so I hope enough people spend time to double check facts.

Really though, this sort of shit is embarrassing. I don't know how the Russians can take being assumed a fool by the government.

It's just an extreme version of a large number of Americans truly believing that Iraq had WMDs. Admittedly it is an incredibly extreme version of it.

ЯAW;122136199 said:
Sad to see where Russia is heading. What is even sadder is the fact Putin still has massive support from the people of Russia.

Should mention this now. People supporting Putin doesn't automatically mean they love Putin. Some probably support him only because the alternatives are much worse.

Didn't lots of Russians learn to ignore the state media when it was the Soviet Union because they all knew it was lies. And perhaps in a weird twist of fate, they now believe the media because they are no longer the Soviet Union but it is still a bunch of lies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Didn't lots of Russians learn to ignore the state media when it was the Soviet Union because they all knew it was lies. And perhaps in a weird twist of fate, they now believe the media because they are no longer the Soviet Union but it is still a bunch of lies.

tumblr_n1xunm14sr1qbl2f1o1_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom