• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

That's classified.

yes. Better OC potential, but both are fine choices

There isn't anything particularly special about the Classified unless you plan on doing extreme cooling (water or LN2). The Gigabyte is a longer card, while the Classy is wider. The Classy probably has a higher POTENTIAL overclocking ceiling, but it is all up to the silicon lottery. Both cards definitely produce and dump a lot of hot air into your case, so keep that in mind. IMO the Classy is one of the best looking cards when in a case. ATM the best 980 ti you can get is the EVGA K|NGP|N which will consistently clock above 1500/8000Mhz... but it is $850 and not really worth it at a $200 premium.

Thanks.

Still on the fence about the 980 Ti. Maybe I'll wait till the next year.

PSA for anyone running desktop resolution higher than 1080p: the Win10 drivers are kinda fucked right now, flickering windows everywhere and mouse cursor corruption. I feel like I'm using AMD Catalyst lately, ugh.

3440x1440 + 2560x1440 monitor user here - I've not experienced any of these problems.

I had some flickring on my alternate monitor, but the latest Nvidia drivers fixed that.

First run on Firestrike with my 980Ti's in SLI:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5545946?_ga=1.126629325.1373233084.1426383991

Um2b.jpg

Went with the MSI, as I had a good experience with the 780 Twin Frozr and the reviews were positive. Very happy with that decision.

Before I could use it: the back of my case was too short. No rotary tool and it's late at night, so I said fuck it, undid all the cable management and pulled out cables so I could slide the tray out and plug in. Stock performance amazing, as I expected. 78.4% ASIC.

Ordered rotary tool at 1am for delivery same day (fuckin Amazon!). First cut was ugly as hell but I cleaned it up. Card now slides in and out easily. Redid the cable management.

Looks great in the case, day and night

First run. Stock BIOS with slight overclock. Think it was +132 core and +295 memory.

Flashed with custom BIOS: 1.237v, 134% power limit, 375W, and aggressive fan profile.

Second run

Third run. Lower overall but higher graphics:

Few more tests and it looks like I've hit the ceiling right there. Fucking +700 on memory! Max temps upper 70s in FireStrke and low to mid 70s in games at load.

Now I can max GTA V, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Project CARS, Far Cry 4, and it's fucking great. Enabled DSR to play at slightly higher resolutions in those more demanding games and much higher in less demanding ones like Mortal Kombat X (3840x2400) and Payday 2 (4434x2771). Silky smooth. Fuck yes.

Great card; would recommend.

Uhhhh.... wut? Your clocks must be crazy because mine are boosting to 1520mhz core and +700 memory and I'm not getting anywere close to that graphics score.

Can you run that without SLI? Or maybe Firestrike ultra?

For reference, my best normal firestrike SLI run:

And single card:

Damn. My single cards are scoring higher, but your scaling crushes mine. Processors make a huge difference in SLI. I gotta drop this 3770k.

We'll see what happens after Pascal arrives.

JayDub

True, altough some settings these days (like Hairworks and some of the options in GTA V's advanced settings) will butcher your framerate, while offering almost nothing in return. Oh and I only disable Hairworks in TW3, not foliage. I only dial down the draw distance of foliage in GTA V a bit, so it won't render foliage in the game where I can't even see it.

For example, I also ran TW3 with Hairworks on and still achieved 60+ FPS, but I don't think it's worth to run those settings and I can hardly notice the difference, especially when riding, running or fighting.

When you say "with ease" I'm thinking Source-games level of performance (110fps, absolutely maxed). What you described isnt that.

paskowitz

Newegg has the option to backorder (which I don't know how it works really)

And someone from evga said they'll have some good quantity next week

Pretty good stock means you will have no more than 60 seconds (from the time the buy button goes live) on EVGA.com and probably around 5 minutes on 3rd party retailers. It's crazy out there.

Argh, I'm getting 15.5k on Firestrike 1.1 with default clock speeds. I hope that isn't low.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5539851

Also if anyone is on Win 10, does GPUZ show CUDA unchecked?

Better than mine. For some reason, even overclocked to almost 1400 mhz, my card gets a graphical score of 18,625. I'm thinking there might be something wrong with the thing.

Do you guys leave it on auto select in the Nvidia control panel for Physx?

ZOONAMI

Better than mine. For some reason, even overclocked to almost 1400 mhz, my card gets a graphical score of 18,625. I'm thinking there might be something wrong with the thing.

Do you guys leave it on auto select in the Nvidia control panel for Physx?

If you're clocks are set higher than the card can handle you might actually hurt performance. Gotta find the sweet spot.

OraleeWey

Pretty good stock means you will have no more than 60 seconds (from the time the buy button goes live) on EVGA.com and probably around 5 minutes on 3rd party retailers. It's crazy out there.

Shit man! that's crazy. I have some other parts waiting to be installed alongside the 980 ti hybrid... I just want to buy it now!

Edit: Just how often do these people hit refresh?

Lexxism

I can't run 3Dmark to check how it will do on windows 10. I wonder what's wrong? Never had any problem with my other software.

I am fairly new to Firestrike and overclocking in general. I only really started messing with it all in the last 6 months or so. I figured I'd post my results, I think these are in line with where they should be with a little OC on my single card. Obviously my CPU (hurry skylake!) is holding things back a touch, but I'm not too concerned.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5546897

I am fairly new to Firestrike and overclocking in general. I only really started messing with it all in the last 6 months or so. I figured I'd post my results, I think these are in line with where they should be with a little OC on my single card. Obviously my CPU (hurry skylake!) is holding things back a touch, but I'm not too concerned.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5546897

Your CPU won't really hurt the graphics score until you get into SLI apparently. A better CPU will improve SLI scaling it seems. But your card is definitely putting out what I would expect from a modest overclock. You should be happy with that :)

To get over 21,000 graphics you need to hit the memory OC pretty hard and get an above average core clock.

353.62 seems to have broken DSR for me. I can't see my additional resolutions in-game and I can't switch to them from my desktop....

EDIT: A DDU clean + fresh driver install fixed it. Turned off the automatic thinger...

Your CPU won't really hurt the graphics score until you get into SLI apparently. A better CPU will improve SLI scaling it seems. But your card is definitely putting out what I would expect from a modest overclock. You should be happy with that :)

To get over 21,000 graphics you need to hit the memory OC pretty hard and get an above average core clock.

Thanks for the clarification and info.

I think I'm happy with my overclock settings, they give me a good little boost (average of about 5 more frames) and are seemingly rock solid. I just spent half an hour flying around The Witcher 3 at 5120x2880 with hairworks maxed out and was unable to get any crashes, or above 75 degrees which is good considering my rig is only air cooled and could probably have better airflow too.

Yeah okay, so the problem isn't with UI embiggening, it's with refresh rate. This bug is weird. If I set the refresh rate to 30 hz, the weird seizure-inducing flickering and mouse cursor corruption goes away. If I set it to 60 hz, it comes back. Sometimes Nvidia drivers baffle me. I hope they figure this bug out and fix it soon because it makes using the Windows desktop a seizure-inducing experience.

BlurredNotions

Neo Member
I can't decide between the ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte and Palit.

The Palit Super Jetstream is the only 3 slot card (better cooling performance?), but has "only" one 8-pin and one 6-pin power connector, whereas ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte feature two 8-pin connectors. I don't know if that makes any difference.

I love the way the Palit looks. But at the end of the day, what I want and need is performance. OC potential would be nice too.

If anyone could shed light on this "problem" of mine, I'd highly appreciate it.

The Palit Super Jetstream is the only 3 slot card (better cooling performance?), but has "only" one 8-pin and one 6-pin power connector, whereas ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte feature two 8-pin connectors. I don't know if that makes any difference.

I love the way the Palit looks. But at the end of the day, what I want and need is performance. OC potential would be nice too.

The 8&6 pins of the palit means the maximum power it can draw is less than what the other cards can with 8&8 pins can. This may mean a bigger limit to OC potential. This, however, is not really a very big problem as some of the reviews found as the palit seems to oc just as well as the others in most cases, only slightly worse in some.

Out of the box, it has the lowest core clock oc and no mem clock oc. This obviously makes it the slowest card out of the bunch but by a very small, insignificant margin.

My palit has around 19500 firestrike score out of the box. A 100mhz oc on core pushed it up to around 20200. I haven't really tried to push it to the max yet though.

The card at max load goes up to 70 degrees, and not very loud.

The reason I went with palit is because it is much cheaper than the others are where i am, so it makes it the best value one.

So just go with whatever is the best value for you. Performance may vary but it won't be in any way significant enough to think about.

vocab

Id look at the price, tempes, and how much factory overclock they get out of the box.

I don't think any of these cards really guarantee more overclocking potential. Even the Classifieds can fail to break 1500mhz on air (but these are meant to be run on water\LN2).You're going to be subject to the silicon lottery no matter what.

So the Nvidia site says "Minimum System Power Requirement: 600 W". I have a 600 W power supply. Is this enough to power the card or do I need to count other things like CPU's and hard drives' power usage too?

The power requirements take into count that stuff and generally over compensate for people who might have shitty, poorly efficient power supplies so as long as you have a good PSU it should be fine.

I don't think any of these cards really guarantee more overclocking potential. Even the Classifieds can fail to break 1500mhz on air (but these are meant to be run on water\LN2).You're going to be subject to the silicon lottery no matter what.

Theoretically though, maximum power draw is a limit.

But yes, in this case, the lottery is what counts. The difference in anything else is too small to consider.

aku:jiki

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask for help but it seems to be the de facto 980Ti OT so I'll give it a shot.

I picked up an MSI Ti yesterday and I'm having some trouble with how it's rendering non-game graphics. Games look fine to me, awesome even, but I'm having some trouble with how it's rendering other graphics. I'm pretty new to this and this is my first ever GPU swap (switching from an MSI 780), so I'm confused as to why it's doing this and I'm probably making some rookie mistake here...

I tried to capture two screenshots to illustrate, one rendered at home with the Ti and one rendered at work with the shitty onboard graphics: my computer and work laptop.

Why is the Facebook logo a blurry mess on my machine?

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask for help but it seems to be the de facto 980Ti OT so I'll give it a shot.

I picked up an MSI Ti yesterday and I'm having some trouble with how it's rendering non-game graphics. Games look fine to me, awesome even, but I'm having some trouble with how it's rendering other graphics. I'm pretty new to this and this is my first ever GPU swap (switching from an MSI 780), so I'm confused as to why it's doing this and I'm probably making some rookie mistake here...

I tried to capture two screenshots to illustrate, one rendered at home with the Ti and one rendered at work with the shitty onboard graphics: my computer and work laptop.

Why is the Facebook logo a blurry mess on my machine?

Have you tried to use DDU to wipe the driver and reinstall?

Have you tried to use DDU to wipe the driver and reinstall?
I did use DDU to prepare for the new GPU using its "clean and shut down" function, but now I'm stuck at work and can't try any new things for the rest of the day. I will try it but that sounds strange to me, how can a driver install fail in this very oddly specific way?

(Having to go to work when you're in the middle of trying to solve a problem at home is the worst thing! I can't focus on my menial job tasks at all...)

I did use DDU to prepare for the new GPU using its "clean and shut down" function, but now I'm stuck at work and can't try any new things for the rest of the day. I will try it but that sounds strange to me, how can a driver install fail in this very oddly specific way?

(Having to go to work when you're in the middle of trying to solve a problem at home is the worst thing! I can't focus on my menial job tasks at all...)

Now that I have time to take a closer look at your 2 screenshots, I cannot see much difference at all, the image compression doesn't help either. So not sure what the problem is.

But either way, it doesn't hurt to use DDU to wipe everything and reinstall again.
I sometimes run CCleaner after DDU and before driver installation too.

Now that I have time to take a closer look at your 2 screenshots, I cannot see much difference at all, the image compression doesn't help either. So not sure what the problem is.

But either way, it doesn't hurt to use DDU to wipe everything and reinstall again.
I sometimes run CCleaner after DDU and before driver installation too.
The Facebook logo in the bottom left, you really don't see one as blurry and ill-defined and the other as sharp and crisp? That's not the image compression ruining the blurry one, it's the problem I'm trying to illustrate. That blur is actually exactly how it looks on my screen...

The Facebook logo in the bottom left, you really don't see one as blurry and ill-defined and the other as sharp and crisp? That's not the image compression ruining the blurry one, it's the problem I'm trying to illustrate. That blur is actually exactly how it looks on my screen...

Yeah, now I see it. I was concentrating on the image above.

That is most likely driver problem. So yeah, just try again with DDU.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1ukudc.jpg

alright lets do this

I didn't think your CPU could affect the graphics score at all with a single card.

Is that the stock settings with no additional OC? Because then that graphics score would be inline with what most of these cards get out of the box.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Figured it was the i5.

And stock MSI OC settings. As in, I've added none of my own.

Top Bottom