• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

paskowitz

come on MSI, where is the Lightning.

My thoughts as well. That and the Asus ROG Matrix Platinum. What I really want to see is a custom single slot block with an included AIO cooler BUT with the option to go closed loop (IE AIO cooler attaches into closed loop fittings). No fans on the card.

Other features:
- LCD read out of clock and voltage ON the card FROM the card
- Interchangeable color accents
- Copper block
- Full color spectrum LEDs
- 140 or 240mm AIO (60mm thick option on "extreme version")
- AIO w/included Noctua PWM fan (2 fans on "extreme version")

Basically, a card that is as fast as possible for those without a customer loop or the desire to do LN2 cooling but with the ability to accommodate both the latter without compromise.

come on MSI, where is the Lightning.

Did they ever announce one? Is there any guarantee they'll actually do a 980TI?

I don't really follow MSI's products all that much so I don't really know what advantages they have, but it seems kinda silly to wait this long after all the other cards have been released.

Tovarisc

Ordered Gigabyte 980Ti G1 from local HW store last week and got it today, order was under MGSV promotion. On top of MGSV code they also apparently put in Batman as added bonus, can't complain.

Now to wait for Skylake release so I can order last parts for rig into which this GPU goes.

So upgrading to windows 10 have borked my performance on my 980ti.

3dmark graphics scores:

Win8.1: 20344
Win10: 19883

This is after upgrading, with drivers wiped clean and reinstalled anew.

Not really happy. Hopefully updates from MS and Nvidia remedies this somehow. Seeing that most of you have a performance bump.

Or I will just say fuck it and reset my whole damn game/work station. Not really fancy that though to be honest.

How many times have you run it? My results are right in the same ballpark as my 8.1 results. Sometimes higher and sometime lower.

So upgrading to windows 10 have borked my performance on my 980ti.

3dmark graphics scores:

Win8.1: 20344
Win10: 19883

This is after upgrading, with drivers wiped clean and reinstalled anew.

Not really happy. Hopefully updates from MS and Nvidia remedies this somehow. Seeing that most of you have a performance bump.

That amount of difference is almost within the normal range of variance from benchmark to benchmark :p Nothing that I would be bummed out about. If my graphics score went from 21,800 to 21,300, I would just run it again like 3 more times...

I don't really follow MSI's products all that much so I don't really know what advantages they have, but it seems kinda silly to wait this long after all the other cards have been released.
I'm in no real rush to replace my 970's, but I do want to see MSI's halo GPU before I pull the trigger on a 980 Ti. Past Lightnings have been best in class.

dEvAnGeL

Well, after calling EVGA to rma my card because it wasnt even stable on stock speeds i installed the deiver nvidia released yesterday i believe, the lne for windows 10, im on w7 and it has made my card rock solid on stock and also OC speed, witcher no longer crahes after playing for 4 hours, is the longest I've played the game since it released without any issues

PFD

The MSI 980 Ti Gaming just came back in stock at NCIX. It should arrive by Tuesday. Can't wait to see how it compares to my GTX 770 @ 1440p

How many times have you run it? My results are right in the same ballpark as my 8.1 results. Sometimes higher and sometime lower.

That amount of difference is almost within the normal range of variance from benchmark to benchmark :p Nothing that I would be bummed out about. If my graphics score went from 21,800 to 21,300, I would just run it again like 3 more times...

Yeah, I should have clarified.

Back when I was still on 8.1, I ran firestrike at least 10 times. No score ever went below 20k.

On 10, 7 runs so far, still no score can break 20k.

So yeah, I know there must be a range, but this is pretty clear that something is not right.

The bids for my EVGA 980TI on ebay seem to have stopped at $550. Think people are just waiting to jump on that sucker last minute? I don't really have a lot of experience selling stuff there but I figured it would go for more than that.

Ordered Gigabyte 980Ti G1 from local HW store last week and got it today, order was under MGSV promotion. On top of MGSV code they also apparently put in Batman as added bonus, can't complain.

Now to wait for Skylake release so I can order last parts for rig into which this GPU goes.
I am doing the same, just waiting for Skylake motherboards and cpu

Afro

The bids for my EVGA 980TI on ebay seem to have stopped at $550. Think people are just waiting to jump on that sucker last minute? I don't really have a lot of experience selling stuff there but I figured it would go for more than that.

Don't worry, there will be a few last second snipe bidders. Very rarely does a new product sell for that much under MSRP.

Smokey

Particular reason why you are selling it?

Erudite

The MSI 980 Ti Gaming just came back in stock at NCIX. It should arrive by Tuesday. Can't wait to see how it compares to my GTX 770 @ 1440p

Just did this upgrade today. The Witcher 3 and Dying Light run noticeably better, even after cranking the settings past what I had for the 770.

Lexxism

Anyone got a nzxt h440 and gigabyte 980 ti? Is the noise noticeable? Or did the case do an excellent job concealing it?

longdi

Banned
got my classy with stock rom. I like how it is a short card by 'custom' standards. :D

Rv2b.jpg

With a +12mv i benched clear at 1502
tried flashing custom rom, seems less stable.

Particular reason why you are selling it?

I originally bought the EVGA SC+ and had it for about a week. Then I was like "hmmm, I want another card to SLI with this sucker." So I went looking and none were in stock. But the Gigabyte G1s were in stock. So I bought 2 of them instead and now I have the EVGA needing a new home.

If anyone's running Win10 and having the window flickering and mouse cursor corruption issue in 4K/60hz, it seems that turning Pointer Trails on in Mouse settings works around it. You get uhm Pointer Trailing when you do this but at least it works for the time being. Hopefully Nvidia addresses this soon, the Nvidia Forums are currently exploding with bug reports with everything from memory leaks crashing games to SLI and Surround simply being non-functional in Win10. New OS releases are so exciting for video card drivers.

Amazon has to get their shit together. Bought a gigabyte 980 ti and never got the code for msg v. Called customer service and they have no clue about it. Tjlhe guy helping me said they will investigate and get back to me within 2 days. What a ***** pain I was on the phone for over one hour.

badb0y

I originally bought the EVGA SC+ and had it for about a week. Then I was like "hmmm, I want another card to SLI with this sucker." So I went looking and none were in stock. But the Gigabyte G1s were in stock. So I bought 2 of them instead and now I have the EVGA needing a new home.

Don't worry, the bids usually come in the last minute. Literally the last minute.

Also I threw my GTX 980 Ti under water and now I can OC to 1500 Mhz with my GPU at 42 degrees under full load. Come at me now Witcher 3.

Stolen Sheep

Neo Member
Amazon has to get their shit together. Bought a gigabyte 980 ti and never got the code for msg v. Called customer service and they have no clue about it. Tjlhe guy helping me said they will investigate and get back to me within 2 days. What a ***** pain I was on the phone for over one hour.

In the same boat. I talked to them on the chat on Monday last and they had no clue about the offer. Said they'd pass the info on to their 'internal team', didn't promise to get back to me, though. Keep us updated on your progress if you can.

In the same boat. I talked to them on the chat on Monday last and they had no clue about the offer. Said they'd pass the info on to their 'internal team', didn't promise to get back to me, though. Keep us updated on your progress if you can.

bought mine from newegg and it was a digital code :O

Arkhanor

I want to get a 980 ti, but can't decide between a EVGA GTX 980 ti SC (ACX 2.0), MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G, ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1.

I'll probably get the EVGA one
(or the MSI one...or the ASUS one...oh god!)

Rolfgang

I managed to sell my reference GTX 970 for 300 euros. That was really unexpected, since you can get a brand new one for 340 euros :p

I want to get a 980 ti, but can't decide between a EVGA GTX 980 ti SC (ACX 2.0), MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G, ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1.

I'll probably get the EVGA one
(or the MSI one...or the ASUS one...oh god!)

Get the Gigabyte :p

Apparently not all card models are elegible for the free game. The Nvidia website is deceiving because it's says:

For a limited time, get the latest mega hit from Kojima Productions, METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN, with the qualifying purchase of a GeForce® GTX™ 980 Ti, 980, 970, or 960 GPU or 980/970M notebook.

However when you click on the participating retailers below only a handful of cards are elegible... At Amazon the only gtx 980 ti elegible is the MSI...

They won't give me a code because my Gigabyte isn't listed

Glip_Glop

Apparently not all card models are elegible for the free game. The Nvidia website is deceiving because it's says:

For a limited time, get the latest mega hit from Kojima Productions, METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN, with the qualifying purchase of a GeForce® GTX™ 980 Ti, 980, 970, or 960 GPU or 980/970M notebook.

However when you click on the participating retailers below only a handful of cards are elegible... At Amazon the only gtx 980 ti elegible is the MSI...

Amazon gave me a code and I purchased an EVGA model.

Funny you should say that. Techreport.com just did a comparison between these four cards

http://techreport.com/review/28685/geforce-gtx-980-ti-cards-compared

Interesting. About the only thing that remains consistent between these cards is the performance of the coolers. The performance can vary depending on how good the sample is that's used for the review. But here are some pictures from the comparison:

4K overclocked performance

Temperatures when overclocked

Noise levels when overclocked

The Gigabyte G1 cooler tends to be the coolest, but also the loudest.

The Asus Strix tends to be the quietest, but also the hottest.

Their overclocking results chart is also kinda weird...

My Gigabyte boosts to 1526mhz, but theirs only boosts to 1361mhz? I'm guessing they're not reading the actual clock speed that the card is boosting to under load, which is annoying. It would be nice to know that.

kuYuri

I bought the 980ti from microcenter 2 weeks ago. Their return policy is 30 days. Does anyone know if I'll be able to go in and get a code for mgs v?

Yes, you should be able to just walk in and they can re-do the transaction so that you will be eligible to receive the code.

Stolen Sheep

Neo Member

Best bet I've found is messaging them on the live chat, that's how I got my Batman code. I heard people say it's the luck of the draw so if the first rep gets prickly and doesn't give you a code try again with a new rep. I'm going to give it a go now myself and see how I get on this week.

EDIT: The transcript:

You're now connected to Jayapriya from Amazon.co.uk
Me: Hey,
This regards ORDER # Blah - an nVidia computer card I ordered. nVidia are currently running a game promotion for qualifying cards (mine is one) where you get a redemption code for Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain. I didn't get any code and I was wondering could you get me mine for me?
Jayapriya: Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.
Jayapriya: I can understand your concern.I can help you with this.
Me: Thank you
Jayapriya: May I place the chat on hold for a minute or two while I check this for you?
Thanks.
Me: Yeah, no problem
Jayapriya: I am sorry we didn't have any code for this item.However you can directly contact the manufacturer for the code to this item.
Me: Oh, ok. I'll do that. Thanks Jayapriya
Jayapriya: All the codes are available with the manufacturer only.
I am really sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced with us.

Anyone know where I'm supposed to email nVidia to get the code?

Glip_Glop

Best bet I've found is messaging them on the live chat, that's how I got my Batman code. I heard people say it's the luck of the draw so if the first rep gets prickly and doesn't give you a code try again with a new rep. I'm going to give it a go now myself and see how I get on this week.

EDIT: The transcript:

You're now connected to Jayapriya from Amazon.co.uk
Me: Hey,
This regards ORDER # Blah - an nVidia computer card I ordered. nVidia are currently running a game promotion for qualifying cards (mine is one) where you get a redemption code for Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain. I didn't get any code and I was wondering could you get me mine for me?
Jayapriya: Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.
Jayapriya: I can understand your concern.I can help you with this.
Me: Thank you
Jayapriya: May I place the chat on hold for a minute or two while I check this for you?
Thanks.
Me: Yeah, no problem
Jayapriya: I am sorry we didn't have any code for this item.However you can directly contact the manufacturer for the code to this item.
Me: Oh, ok. I'll do that. Thanks Jayapriya
Jayapriya: All the codes are available with the manufacturer only.
I am really sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced with us.

Anyone know where I'm supposed to email nVidia to get the code?
Guys, these codes are coming from Amazon, not nVidia. Here is the email received from Amazon, I bought an EVGA 980Ti last week

Amazon Email Thank you for purchasing from Amazon.com. Your recent order entitles you to a promotional code. Your promotional code: Promotion details: Your new NVIDIA graphics card purchase just earned you a redemption code for a free game download of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Get yours at [url said:
https://redeem.geforce.com[/url]. Sign in or create an account, and follow the instructions to redeem your offer with promo code provided.

Additional information on this offer can be found here.

This offer is subject to Terms and Conditions.

Thanks again for shopping with us.

Amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection

Stolen Sheep

Neo Member
Guys, these codes are coming from Amazon, not nVidia. Here is the email received from Amazon, I bought an EVGA 980Ti last week

I got on the chat again when I saw your message. I told them someone I knew had gotten a code from them and after a bit of waiting they offered to fill in a 'spare code form' and email me a code for the game in 24-48 hours, I assume when nVidia send them an extra code or whatever. Really seems to be luck of the draw when it comes to customer reps at Amazon.

Glip_Glop

I got on the chat again when I saw your message. I told them someone I knew had gotten a code from them and after a bit of waiting they offered to fill in a 'spare code form' and email me a code for the game in 24-48 hours, I assume when nVidia send them an extra code or whatever. Really seems to be luck of the draw when it comes to customer reps at Amazon.
Hope so, get that code!

They told me the same thing and I got an answer explaining what I told you on my previous post. Only qualifying cards are elegible for the code, each online retailer has a handful of cards getting the free game. When you click on the retailers listed on the promotion page, you can see which cards are elegible from each website..on Amazon only the MSI 980ti is eligible, which is stupid since Newegg is covering all 980 tis

Stolen Sheep

Neo Member
They told me the same thing and I got an answer explaining what I told you on my previous post. Only qualifying cards are elegible for the code, each online retailer has a handful of cards getting the free game. When you click on the retailers listed on the promotion page, you can see which cards are elegible from each website..on Amazon only the MSI 980ti is eligible, which is stupid since Newegg is covering all 980 tis

Well mine happens to be an MSI 980 ti, so we'll see if they can wriggle out of that one too. You should keep trying, though.

Well mine happens to be an MSI 980 ti, so we'll see if they can wriggle out of that one too. You should keep trying, though.
I'm gonna call again because Newegg is giving the code to all 980tis. I will tell them that if I don't get the code I'll return it and buy it from newweggt
Edit :Newegg os not giving the code to gigabyte 980 ti...

Two Words

I got my new system set up with this card. I have left all speeds at stock so far. I'm playing at 1440p and getting nearly 60 fps with everything but hairworks turned on Witcher 3. However, my card is running at 83C on this game at clock speeds. That seems pretty high. Should I be worried about this?

gblues

Banned
I had to wait until today due to a minor paycheck hiccup (switching banks, direct deposit change is still pending so I had to wait for the manual check). Pleasantly surprised to see the Batman: Arkham Knight offer replaced with MGSV:TPP. I went with the ZOTAC ZT-90503-10P since it was only $10 above the $649 base price and has better cooling than the reference boards. I was a little leery because I haven't heard of ZOTAC before, but it's got solid reviews, so I'ma risk it.

Even splurged on 3-day shipping, so I'm hoping to have it by Friday. :)

Odrion

Banned
I got my new system set up with this card. I have left all speeds at stock so far. I'm playing at 1440p and getting nearly 60 fps with everything but hairworks turned on Witcher 3. However, my card is running at 83C on this game at clock speeds. That seems pretty high. Should I be worried about this?

Modern video cards have temp limits written into their bios. Whatever temperature is too hot for it, it won't hit.

Top Bottom