• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

PFD

The DSR+GSync+SLI limitation has become very frustrating and it is even worse now because at one point I was able to enable all 3 and as long as I was playing at the native resolution, Gsync would be enabled but if I wanted to downsample, I could change it to a DSR resolution and all it would do is disable Gsync. Now they've blocked DSR completely if you have Gsync and SLI enabled so I don't even have the chance to pick and choose what I want. This will be less of an issue when I replace my 1080p monitor with a 1440p monitor but for now, I'm playing Alien Isolation with a machine that is getting 250-450 fps when I completely uncap the framerate at 1080p. What a waste.

Have you tried GeDoSaTo?

R3TRODYCE

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a EVGA 980ti SC to replace my 980. I wasn't too happy with the 980's performance so I hope this fares better.

The DSR+GSync+SLI limitation has become very frustrating and it is even worse now because at one point I was able to enable all 3 and as long as I was playing at the native resolution, Gsync would be enabled but if I wanted to downsample, I could change it to a DSR resolution and all it would do is disable Gsync. Now they've blocked DSR completely if you have Gsync and SLI enabled so I don't even have the chance to pick and choose what I want. This will be less of an issue when I replace my 1080p monitor with a 1440p monitor but for now, I'm playing Alien Isolation with a machine that is getting 250-450 fps when I completely uncap the framerate at 1080p. What a waste.

But you can still use DSR + SLI right? Then I would just recommend doing 4k DSR in Alien Isolation, I was able to get a smooth 80 fps with just one 980Ti.
Gsync wont be necessary when the framerate is so high.

But you can still use DSR + SLI right? Then I would just recommend doing 4k DSR in Alien Isolation, I was able to get a smooth 80 fps with just one 980Ti.
Gsync wont be necessary when the framerate is so high.

Yeah, I can just go ahead and disable Gsync compleetly while playing. It's not the biggest deal, just an annoying frustration to have to manually turn it on and off when playing a game when I can easily disable gsync in the games profile. However, they disable DSR completely when Gsync is enabled, period. Application profiles have no ability to reenable DSR even if you have Gsync explicitly disabled in the profile. It makes a shitty limitation even worse. In the past, that was not how it worked but here we are now.

laxu

I hear you. Also the lack of MFAA for SLI is a bummer. They make all these great techs but don't bother making them work on SLI or even giving a simple "oh you have G-Sync, we'll not show you the DSR option if G-Sync is enabled but you can disable it to use DSR".

One of the reasons for going from 970 SLI to a single 980 Ti for me was being able to use MFAA and DSR as well as not having to worry about SLI issues. In hindsight it was not that good a move as I had to ship a Gigabyte G1 back on my own dime since it was way too loud and the MSI I got I bought an AIO cooler for it which put the price above what I was planning.

I'm not happy with the stock coolers on any of the 980 Ti models to be honest. It seems the best stability and overclock is achieved with a cheap AIO cooler and the G10 bracket. On air coolers the cards just run damn hot or alternatively too loud. The MSI is the perfect platform for AIO watercooling as it requires no shims and has a separate VRAM plate and VRM heatsink.

I actually hope that Pascal cards coming next year are just slightly faster and more efficient versions of 970 and 980 at first so that I can keep the 980 Ti longer without its value completely plummeting.

Qassim

You can use DSR + SLI but when I still had SLI even disabling G-Sync in the control panel couldn't make the DSR options appear, no matter what I did, it seemed the presence of a G-Sync monitor would completely disallow DSR. Unless that has changed, but with my 2x 780s (prior to my 980Ti), I couldn't get the DSR options to show at all no matter my G-Sync configuration.

You can use DSR + SLI but when I still had SLI even disabling G-Sync in the control panel couldn't make the DSR options appear, no matter what I did, it seemed the presence of a G-Sync monitor would completely disallow DSR.

That's just the buggy interface, I believe. Disabling Gsync alone won't re-enable the option, but it should. However, if you disable, Gsync, then disable SLI and then re-enable SLI, that refreshes the interface in a way that re-enables the DSR options.

Qassim

That's just the buggy interface, I believe. Disabling Gsync alone won't re-enable the option, but it should. However, if you disable, Gsync, then disable SLI and then re-enable SLI, that refreshes the interface in a way that re-enables the DSR options.

Ah, I had a suspicion that may be the case as I did have it show up for me once or twice - but I thought that may have been unintentional.

Vertti

Tried to overclock my new shiny MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G. Asic is 74.9. Got +140 on the core w/o artifacts. Temps rose to 80 celsius degrees. It's pretty warm in my apartment so that't not too bad. I could always add an another fan if needed.

Didn't keep the overclock. Don't need them right now. But pretty happy what I got.

Fredrik

Tried to overclock my new shiny MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G. Asic is 74.9. Got +140 on the core w/o artifacts. Temps rose to 80 celsius degrees. It's pretty warm in my apartment so that't not too bad. I could always add an another fan if needed.

Didn't keep the overclock. Don't need them right now. But pretty happy what I got.
I went with the Gigabyte 980 Ti and tried the factory OC with good results but did the same thing and went on without overclocking instead for now. Not the best game to judge the performance, but still, it can do Ultimate on Tomb Raider at 60+ fps with triple screens at 6010x1080 without overclocking, it's not exactly silent but it's a beast of a card for sure.

Glip_Glop

Here's my 980Ti OC'd a little bit, pretty happy with the card overall (haven't OC'd the CPU yet) I know I can push it further, right now I'm satisfied.

lIDDBZM.png

I'm running the free (trial?) Steam version. I just choose the third option, since the top two are greyed out for me. I don't make any changes to the settings at all.

However, my monitor is 2560x1440 and the OSD isn't resized when playing the benchmark like it often does when the screen is forced into a non-native resolution. For example, if a game were to run at 1080p, my OSD would be noticeably larger in font size.

Two Words

So I'm already at 1200 Mhz on a reference cooler MSI 980 GTX Ti. My temperature has been around 76C with the fans at 100%. Can I risk going any higher on overclocking? When should I ever mess with voltage? Is increasing the memory clock speed good for performance?

paskowitz

So I'm already at 1200 Mhz on a reference cooler MSI 980 GTX Ti. My temperature has been around 76C with the fans at 100%. Can I risk going any higher on overclocking? When should I ever mess with voltage? Is increasing the memory clock speed good for performance?

Seems like your card gets hot pretty easily. You probably won't have a lot of overclocking room. 100% fans on the reference cooler is pretty loud so, that can't be ideal. If you want to get those temps and noise under control, get the EVGA Hybrid kit (works on any brand reference card). It is just a little hard to find in stock. Also make sure your card is getting good airflow (no cables blocking vents).

Voltage. Ideally, leave it be. Given your situation, definitely, If you get the Hybrid Cooler then maybe start messing with the volts. Not all cards like increase in voltage, so you may not actually get better performance.

Memory clock does increase performance, but not as much on a per Mhz basis as core clock. It mostly helps at higher resolutions.

laxu

so will the pascal cards next year destroy the 980tis?
I'd say no. We will most likely see replacements for 970 and 980 first. A single 980 Ti is roughly 2x970 so they'd need quite a performance boost. I think we will just see a 10-15% boost over 970/980 with 4 GB VRAM as HBM2 comes out Q2 2016.

Late 2016 is the earliest we will see cards that surpass the 980 Ti.

badb0y

I'd say no. We will most likely see replacements for 970 and 980 first. A single 980 Ti is roughly 2x970 so they'd need quite a performance boost. I think we will just see a 10-15% boost over 970/980 with 4 GB VRAM as HBM2 comes out Q2 2016.

Late 2016 is the earliest we will see cards that surpass the 980 Ti.
Ah, no way. HBM2 + die shrink + Pascal architecture.

I am expecting the successor of GTX 980 to beat the titan by 10-15% minimum.

If it's too much you'll get artifacts or a crash; it's not really a risk. But on a reference I can't imagine you're going to get much higher than that.

I would only mess with custom BIOS/voltage changes on a reference if you were to go water or replace stock cooler with a custom air cooler (so basically, if it were to become a non-reference). Good news is there are plenty of affordable options for the latter (many have added Kraken G10s + Kraken X41 with great results). Overclock.net forums are a great resource with dedicated threads for 980 Ti owners (and specific manufacturer 980 Ti owners) with all the info.

So far not as good as my 980's were in SLI. Here is my 3dMark results with a 50mhz OC on the core and Memory. Kept crashing if I went much higher. Valley Benchmark was a bit over 3900

pn3Xw7l.png

Well that's ok as there's no 980Ti on this planet that will perform better than 980 SLI. That graphics score in FS stock BIOS is on the higher end so looks great, but I've reached over 21500 on my MSI and your card is arguably better suited for OC'ing than mine.

Since you got a Kingpin, I assume you're into OC'ing, so if you haven't already, check out these threads at overclock.net (I must sound like I'm shilling for the site at this point but it's reeeeally useful for 980Ti owners):

980 Ti owners club: http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club

K|NGP|N owner's club: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411500/official-evga-classified-k-ngp-n-owners-club

Not sure if you've messed with custom BIOSs before, but I highly recommend you flash your card with one (you can easily flash back to stock). You should have links to everything you need in these threads. That'll open up the power limit and allow you to add some real boosts to the core and memory.

These Maxwells can be pushed quite a bit and, again, you have what is essentially the quintessential overclocker's card.

I have a MSI Gaming 6G and with a custom BIOS I'm running +142 core and successfully ran Firestrike at +799 memory! It's not stable in games, unfortunately, but I can still push +600 on memory for games and keep temps in low 70s.

BNGames

Well that's ok as there's no 980Ti on this planet that will perform better than 980 SLI. That graphics score in FS stock BIOS is on the higher end so looks great, but I've reached over 21500 on my MSI and your card is arguably better suited for OC'ing than mine.

Since you got a Kingpin, I assume you're into OC'ing, so if you haven't already, check out these threads at overclock.net (I must sound like I'm shilling for the site at this point but it's reeeeally useful for 980Ti owners):

980 Ti owners club: http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club

K|NGP|N owner's club: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411500/official-evga-classified-k-ngp-n-owners-club

Not sure if you've messed with custom BIOSs before, but I highly recommend you flash your card with one (you can easily flash back to stock). You should have links to everything you need in these threads. That'll open up the power limit and allow you to add some real boosts to the core and memory.

These Maxwells can be pushed quite a bit and, again, you have what is essentially the quintessential overclocker's card.

I have a MSI Gaming 6G and with a custom BIOS I'm running +142 core and successfully ran Firestrike at +799 memory! It's not stable in games, unfortunately, but I can still push +600 on memory for games and keep temps in low 70s.

To be honest I was so underwhelmed with the performance I'm selling the card to my buddy who needs a upgrade and I'm going back to my 980's. Ill just OC these 980's and wait until Nivida drops their next series. Im planning a Mobo/cpu upgrade anyway.

Im getting much better performance out of my 980's in SLI than the Kingpin alone. Overclocked on both ends.

Well yeah! Why would you expect a single Ti to outperform 980's in SLI? There's never been a single benchmark that would suggest that a 980 Ti was capable of anything like that. What you should've done is gotten two 980 Ti Kingpins in SLI :).

BNGames

Well yeah! Why would you expect a single Ti to outperform 980's in SLI? There's never been a single benchmark that would suggest that a 980 Ti was capable of anything like that. What you should've done is gotten two 980 Ti Kingpins in SLI :).

That was a bit more than I was wanting to spend. I thought if it came at least close id run with one card to get around some SLI issues and have that 6gig memory buffer instead of four. Oh well, like I said, I'm not losing much here, my Buddy needed an upgrade so its going to go to a good home regardless.

paskowitz

Not to be pedantic but, stock (particularly reference) SLI 980s can be overtaken by a single 980 ti with a really good overclock (1550+ Mhz). This is more true of FS Ultra (and/or games with 4K res) Not exactly apples to apples or common, but it is possible.

To be honest I was so underwhelmed with the performance I'm selling the card to my buddy who needs a upgrade and I'm going back to my 980's. Ill just OC these 980's and wait until Nivida drops their next series. Im planning a Mobo/cpu upgrade anyway.

#SiliconLottery

Seriously, I have seen 72% ASIC K|NGP|Ns out perform 80%+ cards (on air). It is all luck of the draw. The 80%+ starts having a greater effect with extreme cooling though. Even if you didn't have your friend who was interested you would be able to at least break even (or better) on eBay.

With that said, it might be worth contacting EVGA. It is unlikely that there is something wrong with the card, but I remember reading a couple posts on their forum where people had terrible cards (would overclock like 5% or unstable at stock settings) and they got replacements.

badb0y

Not to be pedantic but, stock (particularly reference) SLI 980s can be overtaken by a single 980 ti with a really good overclock (1550+ Mhz). This is more true of FS Ultra (and/or games with 4K res) Not exactly apples to apples or common, but it is possible.

#SiliconLottery

Seriously, I have seen 72% ASIC K|NGP|Ns out perform 80%+ cards (on air). It is all luck of the draw. The 80%+ starts having a greater effect with extreme cooling though. Even if you didn't have your friend who was interested you would be able to at least break even (or better) on eBay.

With that said, it might be worth contacting EVGA. It is unlikely that there is something wrong with the card, but I remember reading a couple posts on their forum where people had terrible cards (would overclock like 5% or unstable at stock settings) and they got replacements.

I thought it was the other way around? I am pretty sure TPU's GPU-z says that lower ASIC leads to higher clocks under LN2/water etc.

Not to be pedantic but, stock (particularly reference) SLI 980s can be overtaken by a single 980 ti with a really good overclock (1550+ Mhz). This is more true of FS Ultra (and/or games with 4K res) Not exactly apples to apples or common, but it is possible..

Well, 1550+ on boost, stable, in demanding games, is not just a "really good overclock", it is an incredibly rare overclock. The owners' threads show this to be true. A Ti that pulls that off will need a custom BIOS and water or hybrid cooling and still I can't imagine it'd get more than a few FPS over the SLI if the 980s are reference and stock clocks.

Anyway, obviously go for what performs better but I'm surprised you're not going to try and open this card up and test it with some extra voltage and clocks (or did you?)

BNGames

Well, 1550+ on boost, stable, in demanding games, is not just a "really good overclock", it is an incredibly rare overclock. The owners' threads show this to be true. A Ti that pulls that off will need a custom BIOS and water or hybrid cooling and still I can't imagine it'd get more than a few FPS over the SLI if the 980s are reference and stock clocks.

Anyway, obviously go for what performs better but I'm surprised you're not going to try and open this card up and test it with some extra voltage and clocks (or did you?)

I tried various overclocks, it wouldn't hold stable at 100Mhz+. I really don't want to mess with the voltage to much either. I don't plan on going water block until I build my new cpu/mobo, by then the GTX 1080 will be out. Based on the numbers, its highly unlikely this card will be able to touch the SLI 980's.

What? lol.

Is this a trolling attempt or just a bad joke?

Im getting much better performance out of my 980's in SLI than the Kingpin alone. Overclocked on both ends.

I thought this was trolling too...

I just can not fathom why someone would buy a kingpin card and run it on air cooling. You can get cards $200 cheaper that will probably perform similarly if not better (like my Gigaybte G1s). It's not even worth reselling to a friend unless THEY plan on running it with LN2. They could spend less money and get a different 980TI.

Sounds like you purchased the most expensive 980TI out there with very little to no information whatsoever, especially if you were expecting it to outperform 2 980s in SLI.

Top Bottom