• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Ally1987

guys, currently this is my oc settings
H73b.jpg

but if I go +290 on core it will only crash, and I know I can push it more, but I dont how. can anyone help me with that?

guys, currently this is my oc settings

but if I go +290 on core it will only crash, and I know I can push it more, but I dont how. can anyone help me with that?

Actually you don't know if you can push it more. Once you start crashing, the only other thing you can do is start adding voltage. But there's no guarantee that adding voltage will actually help, as these cards do not scale all that well with it.

To do that, go into your MSI AB settings and unlock voltage control (it's in the general settings). You'll probably have to restart AB.

Then move the voltage slider all the way to the max and see if you can go any higher on the core without crashing. Just keep in mind that adding more voltage will also add more heat.

Ally1987

Actually you don't know if you can push it more. Once you start crashing, the only other thing you can do is start adding voltage. But there's no guarantee that adding voltage will actually help, as these cards do not scale all that well with it.

To do that, go into your MSI AB settings and unlock voltage control (it's in the general settings). You'll probably have to restart AB.

Then move the voltage slider all the way to the max and see if you can go any higher on the core without crashing. Just keep in mind that adding more voltage will also add more heat.

core voltage all the way up to max? isn't that too much? I'll try that if you say so,,

and I just should let memory clock slider be as it is?

core voltage all the way up to max? isn't that too much? I'll try that if you say so,,

and I just should let memory clock slider be as it is?

Rather than just using AB to up voltage, I'd flash with a custom BIOS to do that and increase power limit to 137%. You'll need to figure out the best BIOS to use based on suggestions from other users with your card. If you need help finding the resources, let me know.

+290 core is crazy, by the way. No matter the card, you will absolutely not be stable anywhere near that. I don't even think I've seen +200 stable.

Memory is where you can do things like +290 (and higher).

Which 980Ti do you have?

Ally1987

Rather than just using AB to up voltage, I'd flash with a custom BIOS to do that and increase power limit to 137%. You'll need to figure out the best BIOS to use based on suggestions from other users with your card. If you need help finding the resources, let me know.

+290 core is crazy, by the way. No matter the card, you will absolutely not be stable anywhere near that. I don't even think I've seen +200 stable.

Memory is where you can do things like +290 (and higher).

Which 980Ti do you have?

Ok, I see... but I dont know anything about custom BIOS, im just gonna stick with default BIOS.

Im using a Msi referance card, but I just recently installed the hybrid kit from evga on it. I haven't seen it go over 50C yet.

Ok, I see... but I dont know anything about custom BIOS, im just gonna stick with default BIOS.

Im using a Msi referance card, but I just recently installed the hybrid kit from evga on it. I haven't seen it go over 50C yet.

I was a little hesitant to use a custom bios at first too. It's not very difficult, but the benefits are.... minor at best. At least on air cooling. For now, stick with stock and see how high you can go.

I always max out the power target first, and then increase voltage. The maximum voltage allowed in Afterburner is completely safe.

Im using a Msi referance card.

Oh, I guess I should have asked this before talking about the +290 clock. I'm too used to people having the custom cards which are like 11-something factory so I figured +290 over was like fucking 1400mhz haha.

So 1290 gpu clock. On a hybrid that should definitely be possible. My stable max on gpu is 1288.

I was a little hesitant to use a custom bios at first too. It's not very difficult, but the benefits are.... minor at best. At least on air cooling. For now, stick with stock and see how high you can go.

I always max out the power target first, and then increase voltage. The maximum voltage allowed in Afterburner is completely safe.

Custom BIOS helped me with some throttling and was a two minute job so I'm a fan, and I enjoy getting that max number and trying different things but, yeah, the gains are fairly small.

paskowitz

I thought it was the other way around? I am pretty sure TPU's GPU-z says that lower ASIC leads to higher clocks under LN2/water etc.

Yeah... that is what I thought as well... but apparently for "technical reasons" this is not the case for Maxwell and the 980 ti KP. The Kingpin overclocker dude had a post on it...

Well, 1550+ on boost, stable, in demanding games, is not just a "really good overclock", it is an incredibly rare overclock. The owners' threads show this to be true. A Ti that pulls that off will need a custom BIOS and water or hybrid cooling and still I can't imagine it'd get more than a few FPS over the SLI if the 980s are reference and stock clocks.

Anyway, obviously go for what performs better but I'm surprised you're not going to try and open this card up and test it with some extra voltage and clocks (or did you?)

I looked over a couple review site benchmarks and there seems to be roughly a 10-20 lead for 980 SLIs over the ti in the majority of games. I stand corrected.

jambo

Has anyone used the Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 in an Antec Nine Hundred (first model)?

I just realised the 980Ti is going to be about 4-5cm longer than my 670s =S

Sevenfold

So I was weak and bought a Gigabyte G1 and love it coming from a 780ti Classy. So quiet and just stomps all over games I hate OC guru though, Precision X was so much better. Can I ditch it for anything else? Sometimes it opens with no values for anything and I have to mess with each individual entry to 'wake' them. Most annoying and I fear for overclocking because of it.

roOWZzrm.png

Also having to manually start the program is a pain.

So I was weak and bought a Gigabyte G1 and love it coming from a 780ti Classy. So quiet and just stomps all over games I hate OC guru though, Precision X was so much better. Can I ditch it for anything else? Sometimes it opens with no values for anything and I have to mess with each individual entry to 'wake' them. Most annoying and I fear for overclocking because of it.

roOWZzrm.png

Also having to manually start the program is a pain.

Use the OC Guru 2 software to change your led colours then close the program. Stick with MSI Afterburner for setting up overclocking profiles + monitoring.

And if your after a custom bios try here

http://www.overclock.net/t/1544574/gigabyte-gtx-9xx-g1-gaming-h2o-air-bios-tweaking

Are there any recent benchmarks of the 980 TI running Witcher 3 with hairworks on? I was wondering what it looks like after a couple game patches + driver update.

laxu

People, please stop posting pics of your settings in MSI Afterburner or whatever. It's absolutely useless because +100 core on a reference card vs custom card is completely different and even then it tells nothing about how high the card boosts.You might as well put +1000 core in there and it will still only boost to something like 1300 if you are voltage, temp or power limited.

Look at the graphs to see how high you are boosting and whether it's stable or throttling down when pushed. You can also see where your limits are.

Also 3DMark results are a poor indicator of overclock performance on these card. You can run 3DMark, Heaven or Valley at much higher settings than real games. GTA V, Witcher 3 or Far Cry 4 are much better benchmarks as they tend to crash on unstable overclocks.

On these cards you won't get much above 1500 even with the best cards. I have a watercooled MSI 980 Ti and that's where my clocks are even though there is no throttling and temps are cool. Voltage is the biggest limitation and that's something that cannot be modded above a certain point with BIOS.

It's not really worth paying extra for a card that has higher stock clocks. The only thing worth extra is if it has a better cooler that is quieter and allows for higher clocks. I'd say of the EVGA Hybrid is the best choice as it comes with an AIO cooler from the start and thus is most likely to get you high overclocks. I mounted the NZXT G10 bracket and Corsair H55 AIO cooler on my MSI and it made a big difference in how high stable clocks I can get while keeping my system quiet.

laxu

Are there any recent benchmarks of the 980 TI running Witcher 3 with hairworks on? I was wondering what it looks like after a couple game patches + driver update.

I don't have numbers to give you but I run a 980 Ti with hairworks on (though at the MSAA x4 setting as I don't feel x8 gives much improvement) and it runs very smoothly. I do have a G-Sync display though so any framerate fluctuation is harder to notice.

harz-marz

I don't have numbers to give you but I run a 980 Ti with hairworks on (though at the MSAA x4 setting as I don't feel x8 gives much improvement) and it runs very smoothly. I do have a G-Sync display though so any framerate fluctuation is harder to notice.

1440P or 1080P?

I'm running the game at 2560x1440p with everything on Ultra except for Shadows/Foliage Distance at High, Hairworks at MSAA x4 and Hairworks set to Low. My Min framerate is about 57fps but usually averages around 70-80 depending on where I am. My monitor is the acer XB270HU so G-Sync enabled.

Vercimber

Guys, in case it runs through the thread quickly, I just posted a WTT or WTS for a beautiful, like new Gigabyte Gaming 980Ti in case anyone is interested. Beautiful card, but actually far beyond my needs in terms of power.

Kinda disappointed they are not going for a built in water cooling route. The benefits from doing a custom PCB are marginal on air.

I read Corsair and MSI are teaming up for a hybrid card but haven't heard anything for a while and I think the release was supposed to be this month. No idea what happened to it and don't see any more info.

PFD

Same here. Hairworks is smooth @ 1440p

paskowitz

In case anyone is wondering, an overclocked 980 ti (1500/8000Mhz) can play pCARS at 4K at 60fps at Le Mans, with a 56 car grid, weather and full TOD cycle with max settings except... AA (FXAA medium), reflections (high) and grass (medium). Lowest I saw was 41FPS. Average was around 63FPS. Honestly, amazing.

Ally1987

In case anyone is wondering, an overclocked 980 ti (1500/8000Mhz) can play pCARS at 4K at 60fps at Le Mans, with a 56 car grid, weather and full TOD cycle with max settings except... AA (FXAA medium), reflections (high) and grass (medium). Lowest I saw was 41FPS. Average was around 63FPS. Honestly, amazing.

How do you get it to 1500mhz? my card ain't stable if I go above 1488mhz

scoobs

Anyone else getting TDR crashes in Witcher 3? I'm OC'd to 1450MHz core, and even bringing the OC back to 1400 I'm still seeing this shit. Its only in Witcher 3 too. Grrr going back to stock clocks for one game is super annoying.

paskowitz

How do you get it to 1500mhz? my card ain't stable if I go above 1488mhz

Well, I have had one crash at 1500Mhz so I can't claim perfect stability (GTAV). Although I think that crash was due to high temps (IDK). My card seems to like 1500/8000Mhz (+96/496 boost/memory) with +30mV. I have an EVGA Classified so my power target can go to 141% on the second bios, so that is never an issue. My card then boosts to 1515Mhz at 1.212V and then downclocks to 1501Mhz when the voltage dips to 1.2V. I can hit 1535 in 3DMark and stupid high numbers (1560Mhz) in Valley... but those are not representative (and likely not stable after 30 minutes).

Every card is different so you can't expect the same results with the same settings. The difference between 1488 and 1501 in game is not noticeable.

Anyone else getting TDR crashes in Witcher 3? I'm OC'd to 1450MHz core, and even bringing the OC back to 1400 I'm still seeing this shit. Its only in Witcher 3 too. Grrr going back to stock clocks for one game is super annoying.

If resetting to stock clocks actually works, that unfortunately means the overclock wasn't actually stable. Witcher 3 more than most games, will expose an unstable overclock.

scoobs

If resetting to stock clocks actually works, that unfortunately means the overclock wasn't actually stable. Witcher 3 more than most games, will expose an unstable overclock.

Its interesting because I've tested stability on Heaven, Burntest, furmark, 3dmark, etc. for hourrrssssss and never failed a test even at 1450MHz. Witcher 3? Lucky to play at 1400Mhz for an hour. Other games? No problems to speak of.

Granted, I can play at stock speeds no problem, its just kind of ridiculous to me that this one game just refuses to fucking let me OC.

paskowitz

Its interesting because I've tested stability on Heaven, Burntest, furmark, 3dmark, etc. for hourrrssssss and never failed a test even at 1450MHz. Witcher 3? Lucky to play at 1400Mhz for an hour. Other games? No problems to speak of.

Try GTAV. That also exposes instability. Run it at higher than average settings. From my limited experience, it seems benchmarks are more tolerant than games. I can get 1535 in 3DMark and Valley but if I try that with GTAV... instant crash.

GHG

I'm not doing 4k but I'm downsampling from 2048x1152 to 1080p with SMAA ultra as my only AA setting (everything else max) and it's 60fps in pretty much all scenarios apart from the race intro and sometimes the start grid dependant on the weather.

I freaking love this card, it's an absolute monster.

paskowitz

I'm not doing 4k but I'm downsampling from 2048x1152 to 1080p with SMAA ultra as my only AA setting (everything else max) and it's 60fps in pretty much all scenarios apart from the race intro and sometimes the start grid dependant on the weather.

I freaking love this card, it's an absolute monster.

I am using DSR as well (still game renders 4K). What I love is if I do 1080p and limit the frame rate to 61 my card barely heats up. Like 65c-ish. I could imagine if one had a 1080p 144hz monitor you would be at 144fps pretty much the whole time. 1440p would stay at least above 100fps.

I bought the EVGA 980ti Classified in hopes of overclocking, but I have been really disappointed. Anything more than a ~40MHz core overclock results in crashes in Witcher 3.

I'm running the game at 2560x1440p with everything on Ultra except for Shadows/Foliage Distance at High, Hairworks at MSAA x4 and Hairworks set to Low. My Min framerate is about 57fps but usually averages around 70-80 depending on where I am. My monitor is the acer XB270HU so G-Sync enabled.

Same here. Hairworks is smooth @ 1440p

Thanks! I'm hoping to run it at 1440p and just had no idea what to expect. I was guessing ~45fps average so I'm pleasantly surprised to hear it gets around 60fps as a min!

Welcome to the party, seems Witcher 3 simply does not enjoy any type of OC'ing

I didn't realize other had issues with Witcher as well. I've even had crashes with synthetic tests, too. I replicated the Heaven test in this review, where they were able to easily get a 1300 MHz base clock. If I get anywhere close to 1300 I get crashes.

PFD

For some reason The Witcher 3 is completely stable on my +135 core overclock (MSI Gaming 6G), but 3DMark crashes every time at that clockspeed.

Well, I have had one crash at 1500Mhz so I can't claim perfect stability (GTAV). Although I think that crash was due to high temps (IDK). My card seems to like 1500/8000Mhz (+96/496 boost/memory) with +30mV. I have an EVGA Classified so my power target can go to 141% on the second bios, so that is never an issue. My card then boosts to 1515Mhz at 1.212V and then downclocks to 1501Mhz when the voltage dips to 1.2V. I can hit 1535 in 3DMark and stupid high numbers (1560Mhz) in Valley... but those are not representative (and likely not stable after 30 minutes).

Every card is different so you can't expect the same results with the same settings. The difference between 1488 and 1501 in game is not noticeable.

What's your Firestrike score? out of curiosity

Currently looking to pick up a 980 Ti or two. It'll be my first time doing SLI. Currently juggling/reading up on brands (mainly MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA and ASUS) and so far I'm leaning toward the MSI card.

Just for reference I currently have a Dell U3415W (3440x1440) and EVGA 780.

OraleeWey

Currently looking to pick up a 980 Ti or two. It'll be my first time doing SLI. Currently juggling/reading up on brands (mainly MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA and ASUS) and so far I'm leaning toward the MSI card.

Just for reference I currently have a Dell U3415W (3440x1440) and EVGA 780.
980 ti hybrid! Look into it

My 650w power supply may be holding me back as I can't hit 16000 on fire strike with it OC'd and a 3770k at 4.5. I've got just the basic EVGA ACX 2.0 version

My 650w power supply may be holding me back as I can't hit 16000 on fire strike with it OC'd and a 3770k at 4.5. I've got just the basic EVGA ACX 2.0 version

650 is plenty for a single card.

What's the graphics score? That's really the only score that matters. Are you overclocking the card at all? Without overclocking, this is what I was getting on the EVGA SC+

After overclockocking it a bit....

kitch9

Banned

Granted, I can play at stock speeds no problem, its just kind of ridiculous to me that this one game just refuses to fucking let me OC.

That specific game might be hammering the one specific transistor on your gpu that can't keep up with the rest where as everything else doesn't.

Top Bottom