• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia CEO: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 Shortages To Last Until 2021

Reindeer

So they were just trying to get ahead of AMD then? It was true all along, SamDung 8nm has terrible yields and will have limited supply. AMD will probably have way more stock and be better prepared. Big Navi FTW.

Last edited by a moderator:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So they were just trying to get ahead of AMD then? It was true all along, SamDung 8nm has terrible yields and will have limited supply. AMD will probably have way more stock and be better prepared. Big Navi FTW.
Would not really count on that based on what kind of yields are now on Consoles.

NBNW13

Neo Member
That’s actually the opposite of what those terms mean in economic nomenclature. Demand issues revolve around a lack of demand for a thing, supply issues (which is what we have here) are issues surrounding the amount of the thing produced (ie not enough to meet the demand).

giphy.gif

Don't know how many times I've had one in my cart and then checkout always bugs out. At least 4 or 5 times. Honestly? Kinda past being excited. I have a 1080ti that has done well by me. At this point I just want a better card for 3440x1440. Whoever get's their first before Cyberpunk 2077 whether that's AMD or Nvidia will get my money. I just want to play CP2077 as closed to max as possible with 60+fps.

cucuchu

Paper launch confirmed. AMD it is then.

I'm confident AMD will have similar issues and sell out in seconds.

But lets look at things with some perspective:

NVIDIA 3080/90's are launching months ahead of everything else. People are obviously itching to spend their money, so yes, the 30 series are going to get swarmed with demand because they are the only 'next-gen' thing to buy as it stands.

What can gamers buy early October:
NVIDIA 3080
NVIDIA 3090

Now lets look at the situation mid-November

NVIDIA 3080
NVIDIA 3090
NVIDIA 3070
AMD NAVI2 GPU'S
PLAYSTATION 5
XBOX ONE SERIES X
XBOX ONE SERIES S
ZEN 3

Yes, there might not be overlap between some of the potential customers between all of those but regardless, there will be at least SOME overlap. People will have many more options of gaming technology shit to throw their money at and I can gurantee that 3080's will be much easier to purchase as a result.

AGRacing

Fantastic. If I decide I want to switch to AMD there will be plenty of people willing to buy my 3080 Founders at cost :p

WakeTheWolf

Typical to blame the buyers when this has been proven to be a supply issue. Overclockers only getting 10 - 30 cards a shipment says everything. Dig a deeper hole Nvidia

MH3M3D

I'm confident AMD will have similar issues and sell out in seconds.

But lets look at things with some perspective:

NVIDIA 3080/90's are launching months ahead of everything else. People are obviously itching to spend their money, so yes, the 30 series are going to get swarmed with demand because they are the only 'next-gen' thing to buy as it stands.

What can gamers buy early October:
NVIDIA 3080
NVIDIA 3090

Now lets look at the situation mid-November

NVIDIA 3080
NVIDIA 3090
NVIDIA 3070
AMD NAVI2 GPU'S
PLAYSTATION 5
XBOX ONE SERIES X
XBOX ONE SERIES S
ZEN 3

Yes, there might not be overlap between some of the potential customers between all of those but regardless, there will be at least SOME overlap. People will have many more options of gaming technology shit to throw their money at and I can gurantee that 3080's will be much easier to purchase as a result.

AMD's biggest problem is mindshare. Convincing long time nVidia users to give Radeon cards a shot. Doesn't help that nVidia are 100x better at marketing than AMD is.

thelastword

Banned
So in other words Nvidia was not ready for launch, they just wanted to beat AMD to the launch punch, so people could spill their benjamins before AMD came to the party......So to maximize revenue and profit, they launched with a 10Gb Ampere card at $700 to rake in coin, whilst they leave their higher vram versions as a catapult to combat RDNA 2....

Even then, you can see the cards were rushed, lots of crashing issues, which the techtubers gave little coverage of.....Lord knows if this was AMD having those crashing issues......High power consumption, guess what, many techtubers don't care about power consumption anymore, Jayztwocents and the lot....My, how times have changed. The Nvidia cards don't have much legroom for overclocking......So three areas where Nvidia always excelled and everybody and their grandma's told us were the reasons NV was the best, but no problem here......All people see now are these shortages and they blame demand, but fail to realize that these 10GB cards are not the cards taking priority at production for NV now, they made limited numbers of these 10Gb cards, NV's focus is to ramp out the 20GB, 16, 12GB ampere cards to fight AMD's RDNA2......

So in other words Nvidia was not ready for launch, they just wanted to beat AMD to the launch punch, so people could spill their benjamins before AMD came to the party......So to maximize revenue and profit, they launched with a 10Gb Ampere card at $700 to rake in coin, whilst they leave their higher vram versions as a catapult to combat RDNA 2....

Even then, you can see the cards were rushed, lots of crashing issues, which the techtubers gave little coverage of.....Lord knows if this was AMD having those crashing issues......High power consumption, guess what, many techtubers don't care about power consumption anymore, Jayztwocents and the lot....My, how times have changed. The Nvidia cards don't have much legroom for overclocking......So three areas where Nvidia always excelled and everybody and their grandma's told us were the reasons NV was the best, but no problem here......All people see now are these shortages and they blame demand, but fail to realize that these 10GB cards are not the cards taking priority at production for NV now, they made limited numbers of these 10Gb cards, NV's focus is to ramp out the 20GB, 16, 12GB ampere cards to fight AMD's RDNA2......

Market leader for so long. Expect a bunch of diehards to stay mum. There will never be an even playing field for laggards like AMD until they outwork the competition for a sustained period of years (which eventually turns hearts and minds).

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I mean, yeah? Lol. Primary reason why when people told me to wait for the 3000 series I laughed. I wanted to have an RTX card for Cyberpunk, I refused to wait. Got a used and reliable 2080 for a good price, so I can't complain.

regawdless

Banned
I mean, I get it. Doesn't make sense to invest a lot of money (additional production lines, hire more people, manage more shifts etc) to be able to produce an obscene amount of cards for a short time, just for it to normalize in a couple months. And then have a big drop off in sales.

The cards will sell either way. Earlier or later. Of course AMD will happen, but Nvidia doesn't seem too concerned.

Still sucks, because I want that damn card. My 1080ti can't do that raytracing bro.

thelastword

Banned
Market leader for so long. Expect a bunch of diehards to stay mum. There will never be an even playing field for laggards like AMD until they outwork the competition for a sustained period of years (which eventually turns hearts and minds).
I think they are finally on that path. Ryzen's success will also boost the GPU division, they now have the revenue from Ryzen to boost the Radeon Technology Group. They also have the talented engineers from Ryzen to boost the GPU division. As a matter of fact, it's the Ryzen engineers who were tasked to work on RDNA 2 and get it transformative just as Ryzen has become.....Navi 1 was excellent, it was fast.....RDNA 2 is where they should make inroads into performance and marketshare. It's where they will make their name in the GPU space, just as they did with Ryzen....

I also think, it's great AMD has taken their time and have kept specs and perf under wraps, they have also prepared for launch and they are launching on an advanced and mature 7nm node from TSMC......They are in pole position here for production. So if NV is struggling to manufacture through Samsung's 8nm......All RDNA 2 has to do is to bring the perf, bring the low wattage, deliver a good supply of these cards at launch and do well in benchmarks......They will have no problems making inroads......AMD said that RDNA 2 won't be a paper launch.........That much is certain...

Pagusas

Elden Member
I think they are finally on that path. Ryzen's success will also boost the GPU division, they now have the revenue from Ryzen to boost the Radeon Technology Group. They also have the talented engineers from Ryzen to boost the GPU division. As a matter of fact, it's the Ryzen engineers who were tasked to work on RDNA 2 and get it transformative just as Ryzen has become.....Navi 1 was excellent, it was fast.....RDNA 2 is where they should make inroads into performance and marketshare. It's where they will make their name in the GPU space, just as they did with Ryzen....

I also think, it's great AMD has taken their time and have kept specs and perf under wraps, they have also prepared for launch and they are launching on an advanced and mature 7nm node from TSMC......They are in pole position here for production. So if NV is struggling to manufacture through Samsung's 8nm......All RDNA 2 has to do is to bring the perf, bring the low wattage, deliver a good supply of these cards at launch and do well in benchmarks......They will have no problems making inroads......AMD said that RDNA 2 won't be a paper launch.........That much is certain...

We will see, MS said they wouldn’t screw up their launch and pre-orders... and they did. Sony screwed up theirs. Nvidia screwed up theirs. And AMD is telling us they won’t screw theirs up? I hope you are right, would love to see them be competitive and get more money for R&D. But the trend this year isn’t for companie coming through...

thelastword

Banned
We will see, MS said they wouldn’t screw up their launch and pre-orders... and they did. Sony screwed up theirs. Nvidia screwed up theirs. And AMD is telling us they won’t screw theirs up? I hope you are right, would love to see them be competitive and get more money for R&D. But the trend this year isn’t for companie coming through...
The trend I've seen in recent times are companies who have had the monopoly have become laid back and stagnant.....Hungry companies who innovate will take over....Success will belong to those pushing the envelope....

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Man, all the bullshit of bad economy and people not spending...... Then suddenly people are fighting to spend $1000s on entertainment devices and graphics card.
A lot of these are being put on credit cards. A lot of which will probably be cancelled if the economy goes south. In fact word is out credit card companies are closing a lot of accounts.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So when AMD’s cards are all sold out till 2021 also, will some of you be mad at them as well?

Depends on if they bring a super competitive card that I would want to buy or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great Hair

Banned
"The 3080 and 3090 have a demand issue, not a supply issue," said Huang.
"Too many want one, we got not enough though" said Huang

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Im really happy this happened. Makes me happy to wait for the 20Gb version OR if by some miracle RDNA 2 is awesome.

I wonder if this "shortage" is a cover to fix the capacitor defects on them.

That's actually not a thing. That was a theory that was tossed around in tech circles for a few days but has since been debunked.

Turns out it was a driver issue and was solved a week later ... with new drivers.

Last edited:

magnumpy

this all just part of the conspiracy :(

:messenger_confounded: :messenger_loudly_crying:

rushed launch and possibly covid limited supplies. effectively a paper launch with very limited quantities. perhaps 2021 will see a greater supply. maybe 3060 won't be so limited in supply. 3060 seems much more exciting to me anyway, jenkies how many freaking cuda cores do you really need anyway :(

Top Bottom