• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Unveiled For $349 US – 1920 Cores, 6 GB GDDR6 Memory, Faster Than GTX 1070 Ti

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Can you upgrade a laptops GPU?
:messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:
Sure, through MXM, or even PCMCIA. The question is if its worth the effort. MXM is more usable on mini PC's, i reckon.

I mean if you want to lose like half your frames for slightly better light.....sure?
Raytracing is expensive, but can bring in new ways of gameplay. Atomic Heart is more of a showcase title than BFV in that regard.

Dude you can't just assert that the RTX 2060 is future proof because it can use some new features that MAY BE implemented.
It is indeed a question if Raytracing the Nvidia way catches on, but the fact it has all that hardware built in does make it futureproof, for Nvidia's Way, that is.

Those feature may be useless for the 2060 due to not enough compute power and/or not have enough RAM.
Sees playable framerates in BFV. Admittely only on medium rays.

1070 (non TI) already performs better than the 2060 at 4k in Wolfenstein 2.
You got that from DF?

Its an outlier anyway. In more scenario's than not it handily beats the 1070 pretty consistently, usually at Ti levels of performance, often even breaking into 1080 territory.

sol_bad

And here I was joking about upgrading laptop GPUs, I had no idea it could be done. Would it be safe to say all GTX1070s in laptops are MXM?

Thanks for the knowledge peeps.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
And here I was joking about upgrading laptop GPUs, I had no idea it could be done. Would it be safe to say all GTX1070s in laptops are MXM?

Thanks for the knowledge peeps.
Only on high end laptops MXM form factors are used. On others, its just a chip on the PCB.

nkarafo

If this card performs better and is $350 for a Founders, that means it will probably be £350 in the UK because conversion doesn't exist. And that still makes it cheaper than a 1070Ti and it's better?

Or am I completely missing something here?
It's more expensive than the 1060 when that card was released. And the 1060 is almost on par with a 980.

So the price is higher and i'm not sure if the upgrade is as good as the 960 to 1060.

Meccs

I am still not sure if I should go Vega 56 or 2060 for 1440p (budget) gaming now that Nvidia supports Freesync and Navi is at least half a year away. I would wait but I want to buy a new card in the next one or two months.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I am still not sure if I should go Vega 56 or 2060 for 1440p (budget) gaming now that Nvidia supports Freesync and Navi is at least half a year away. I would wait but I want to buy a new card in the next one or two months.
Here you go....

You don't even need to buy a Vega 56, which performs admirably, buy a Vega 64....It's $400 and you get three games with it, unreleased....(Division 2, DMC5, Re2)....Vega will outperform the NV cards in these games by a fair bit.....Not only does the 56 and 64 beat the 2060 here, RTX performance in the lone BFV game is appalling, you have to put RTX on low and lower the textures for half the framerate and rez.....Not only does Vega perform better in some DX11 titles, but even in NV sponsored titles too......

Yet I always tell folk, don't just look at the average framerate...In other videos I've linked elsewhere it clearly shows that you get much smoother gaming performance on Vega than any RTX card or equivalent, the graphs are just smoother on Radeon.....Besides, that 6GB is not going to do you any favors for lots of games now and truckload of them this year.....If you want lots of stutter go with the RTX 2060, but I guess the video speaks for itself....

Ivellios

I am in the same situation, but i think i will go through with RTX 2060.

In the long term its cheaper because it has a far better TDP, and in performance it is very similar to Vega 56, unless you do heavy overclocking on it.

With heavy overclocking the Vega 56 performs better, but since i dont plan to do that i think the RTX 2060 is better for me.

Source: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...-founders-edition-review-benchmark-vs-vega-56

I think that if future games end up supporting DSLL than the increase in performance will be way better on the RTX 2060 as well. Maybe even ray tracing will be playable if games are better optimized.

Vega 56 does offer 8gb vram though instead of 6gb, so maybe that ends up making it better in 1440p. Personally i think RTX 2060 features are worth more than a 2gb vram increase with such high TDP.

Top Bottom