• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GTX 1060 Overtakes 970 as most common GPU on Steam

How much could you buy a 970 for these days, if there wasn't a bitcoin mining craze going on?

I'm looking to build a computer for around 800 bucks that can do 1080p 60 fps gaming, and the 970 sounds like the cheapest option capable of doing that.

I got my 970 back in 2015 and it's pretty damn steady as a rock. The only issue is most of my other computer parts are starting to go. So I may just get a whole new PC with a 1070.

llien

I lives in a dorm with free electricity
That is not the case anymore.
Now I'm back home. We have solar panels on the roof. "free electricity"

But I'm still not sure if one card to run is efficient with the rest of the pc have to run, too.
On the other hand my pc is on most of the time anyway.

Can you still browse and do normal stuff while mining?
Have a good site i should read?
I know my card is best for etherum and sucks for bitcoins

I don't mine myself, this should get you started:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8208/ethereum-mining-guide-part-basics-set-up/index.html

lol more people play on intel graphics than AMD.

i really hope AMD can get it together. i love my 1070 but nvidia need serious competition.

AMD has quite competitive 580, very competitive 570 with quite notable adaptive sync (FreeSync) bonus, but many buy green no matter what.

GavinUK86

Xbox One X really is a monster at only $499 beating many people's rigs and also beating the most popular GPU used in people's PC's

giphy.gif

Not with Jaguar it won't.

this will come up in every single argument about the Xbox One X power

Ryzen is just ~ 70% more IPC than Jaguar
A 8 Core Zen based SOC running at 2.8GHz is just two times the CPU power of a 2.3GHz 8 core Jaguar based SOC

Jaguar isn't as weak as many might think (me included)
or Zen is not as strong as many might think

jwhit28

My brother's hand me down 7870 died a few weeks ago. I tried to get him a RX 570 or 580 but they were sold out. A 1060 is the same price a 1070 was a few months ago. I ended up getting him a 1050 Ti as a stop gap and telling him to wait until gpu prices and availability stabilize to get something long term.

Lister

Banned

A 8 Core Zen based SOC running at 2.8GHz is just two times the CPU power of a 2.3GHz 8 core Jaguar based SOC

Doesn't ZEN run at like 3.7 Ghz stock @ turbo though? And I'm going to go out ona limb and say that single threaded performance is probably more than twice what a jaguar can manage.

Risette

A Good Citizen

this is some Scott Steiner-tier math

MazeHaze

Banned
I lives in a dorm with free electricity
That is not the case anymore.
Now I'm back home. We have solar panels on the roof. "free electricity"

But I'm still not sure if one card to run is efficient with the rest of the pc have to run, too.
On the other hand my pc is on most of the time anyway.

Can you still browse and do normal stuff while mining?
Have a good site i should read?
I know my card is best for etherum and sucks for bitcoins

I'm pretty sure you won't make much money with just one computer, and you won't be able to really play games or anything while mining.

I remember someone on a podcast saying it takes about 6 months to break even from the initial cost of the computers youre using. People don't really mine with one PC, they buy dozens. That's why all the cards are gone. Mining with just one PC seems like a waste of time imo.

Doesn't ZEN run at like 3.7 Ghz stock @ turbo though? And I'm going to go out ona limb and say that single threaded performance is probably more than twice what a jaguar can manage.

Desktop at 65+ Wattage, sure
but we shouldn't expect those frequencies in a console SOC at all
Jaguar was also running at up to 2.5GHz on Desktop / Laptops
Ps4 and Xbox One are 1.6 / 1.75GHz

I had a 1060 6gb and it was perfect for 1080p gaming. It's hard to justify the 1070 at UK prices unless you own a 1440p monitor when the 1060 performs so well on the 1080p monitors most people are using.

But when will people be able to buy 1060s for normal prices again?

Holyshit i thought were were joking, didn't realize prices are that crazy now...Mining is fucking the normal consumer over, I got my 1060 back in March for $248 lol, now i am on Newegg seeing $400, $500, $600, even $700, DAMN fucking crazy...

Gbraga

Bought one to play Nier, really happy with it so far.

But then again, before Nier I was still happy with my 680, so I'm not exactly hard to please.

Darksim

What? No. They match the 1070 if you heavily overclock them, pretty sure the 1080 remains out of reach.

I bought one instead of a 1070, because it was a lot cheaper for roughly the same performance, but you have to admit that they're loud and power hungry. Can't blame people for picking the newer card tbh

No, they beat overclocked 1070s with what most would consider an underwhelming overclock (1400 mhz or higher). Mine at 1430mhz was roughly 4-5% faster than my friend's 1070 at 2050 mhz in every dx11 game we tried, and something like 10% faster in Doom vulkan, which is the game where an overclocked to 1450 mhz+ ti will beat a stock 1080. Gears 4 is the only game we tried that favors the 1070, where the async support lets the card make up the typical 4-5% difference. Some people have magical cards that reach the mid 1500s, and at that point it probably does come very close to if not matching stock 1080 performance. You are very right about the noise and power consumption though, particularly when heavily overclocked.

Yeah except:
That is if the game use up to 8 cores.
That is if the console allows the 8 cores to be used.
That is if you compare with a downclocked Zen CPU.

Picked the EVGA 1060 6GB SC for my new PC, didn't think paying £450 for a 1070 was reasonable will upgrade to 1080 when the price comes down a bit or on sale.

RK9039

Literally in the middle of building a new PC, I got 6GB version of this card. Pretty big jump I think from a 2GB GTX 680.

Sulik2

I bought a 1060, its a spectacular card. Perfect for all things 1920 x 1200 on max. Fantastic card for the price.

"Just two times". When a 40% difference is big, two times is ridiculous.

And who's talking about downclocked SOC? He's comparing a Jaguar machine to a PC, I'm talking about 4790ks, 7700ks, 5280ks, 6700ks, 6900ks, 1700x, 1800x, not a downgraded Zen. All running at speeds much higher than 2.8GHz.

that stuff will NEVER make it into any console
and especially not at desktop clock speeds

Blam

I bought a 1060, its a spectacular card. Perfect for all things 1920 x 1200 on max. Fantastic card for the price.

It's actually amazingly priced, if you get the ACX2.0 which is literally just one less fan it's even cheaper. Which is the best part.

Xyber

Is it the 3gb or 6gb that you have? (looking to buy a video card in the near future)

Do not buy a 3GB GPU in 2017, that's extremely silly and you will regret it almost right away. A 1060 is a great GPU for 1080p gaming, but 3GB VRAM easily holds back many games today and it definitely won't get better in the coming years.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I can't believe that so many people with Nvidia cards still haven't tried DSR in 2017.

ss_lemonade

Isnt the gtx 960m a little weaker than the 970m far as laptops go?

AFAIK it's quite a bit slower than the 970m (and the 970m is quite a bit slower than something like a 780 if you wanted to know where that sits in the GPU pyramid). Price wise though, 960m laptops were much more affordable.

Do not buy a 3GB GPU in 2017, that's extremely silly and you will regret it almost right away. A 1060 is a great GPU for 1080p gaming, but 3GB VRAM easily holds back many games today and it definitely won't get better in the coming years.

I definitely recommend the 6 GB. the 3 GB not only has less ram but also has 10% less cores.

Thanks for the information, guess I'll go with the gtx 1060 with 6gb.

It is constantly supply constrained, AMD really messed up the production for that one (plus cryptocurrency miners snatch everything off the market instantly, which is crazy on its own).

I am glad I got a 470 for like $230 back in August, cant find anything equivalent below $300 right now.

Holy hell I didn't realize that AMD cards were so short in supply, glad I got my 480 8GB last year.

Sold my GTX 780 last year and refreshed my PC with a GTX 1060 (6 GB )and added a 512 GB SSD. For 1080p gaming on my TV it's about perfect for me. I love being able to upgrade whenever I feel like it too.

Since I started gaming on PC again back in 2014 it has saved me the hassle of worrying about the Xbox and PS4 ecosystems and their console cycles. If I feel newer games aren't running good enough for me I just upgrade PC parts. I probably will build a new rig in 2018-2019 and give the one I am using now as a hand-me-down for my son.

Patrick S.

Banned
Holy crap, my MSI 1070 hasn't dropped in price since I bought it, it's even gotten €100 more expensive, or is sold out in most places :O

Just now learned about the reason for this being that people are buying them to use them as processors to compute some sort of virtual currency. Crazy world we live in...

Reallink

Surprising that the 1070 is so high considering NV upped the cost/tier on all the cards. The 1060 is basically the new 970 and the 1070 the 980. AMD cards are also really low, which is weird considering the price to performance.

1070s gains are recent, seeing a big up tick after they dropped the bottom tier msrp to $349. Even more recently, a lot of people are probably doing periodic gaming on their crypto mining box. The pre-cryto boom $449 era 1070 wasn't represented much better than the XX80 tier. After the initial shortage furvor, the 1080 and 1070 were reportedly both sales disappointments short of Nvidias expectations, which was why they did the price drops despite AMD having no real market presence or competing product.

Top Bottom