• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GTX 1060 Overtakes 970 as most common GPU on Steam

napata

Shows you how uninformed the more casual PC gamer is when the 1060 has such a dominant marketshare advantage over the 480. The marketshare should be equal between the two as the cards are more or less equal (480 is slightly faster in modern games). Tell me Gaf, why is this not the case?

The first reason is mindshare. Nvidia is a much stronger brand so people are more prone to buy Nvidia products.

A second reason might be that casual people are actually more informed than you'd think. While a 480 is about equal with a 1060 in AAA multiplats, this isn't the case for all the games outside of the AAA space. AMD generally sucks in anything that isn't a AAA multiplat and a lot of people on Steam play non-AAA games. Take PUBG for example.

I think it's mainly the first reason though because people are indeed pretty uninformed most of the time. Though in my opinion nothing would change if people had perfect knowledge about products.

Also a 480 isn't actually faster than a 1060 in recent AAA games: https://www.techspot.com/review/1393-radeon-rx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-1060/page8.html. It's close though.

A 980 ti is about 10% behind a 1070 stock for stock: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1070/24.html. I don't think it can reach a 1080. Even most OC'd 1070s, which are generally faster than OC'd 980tis, have trouble reaching a 1080.

If you have a 980Ti that can maintain a stable 1500MHz OC it would be about on par with a stock 1080 and be at a point where a 1070 outside maybe more extreme over clockers is not going to reach.

Patrick S.

Banned
I didn't know about this data miner stuff until yesterday, but I don't understand the notion that they are "ruining the GPU market". They are consumers just like you and me, who cares that they use the GPUs for that mining nonsense and not for playing Minecraft. Blame greedy manufacturers and outlets for rising the prices.

Magwik

Banned
I didn't know about this data miner stuff until yesterday, but I don't understand the notion that they are "ruining the GPU market". They are consumers just like you and me, who cares that they use the GPUs for that mining nonsense and not for playing Minecraft. Blame greedy manufacturers and outlets for rising the prices.
Ah yes it's just that simple

Shows you how uninformed the more casual PC gamer is when the 1060 has such a dominant marketshare advantage over the 480. The marketshare should be equal between the two as the cards are more or less equal (480 is slightly faster in modern games). Tell me Gaf, why is this not the case?

Most people have owned Nvidia cards for years, they are happy with them and if it ain't broke there's no reason to try and fix it. If AMD wants bigger market share it will have to be significantly faster for the same price or significantly cheaper for the same performance.

I don't think that the hardware survey separates the mobile version from the desktop version of the GTX 1060 which as been selling like a hotcake. The 1000 series nvidia mobile GPUs are identical to their desktop variants, they just run at a slightly lower clock speeds(around 100 MHz slower). I would assume that Steam will log them as the same. Nvidia also has a better image among casual gamers. No one can deny the domination of the graphics market by Nvidia.

I have an EVGA 1060 in the PC I built last summer. I really wanted too get a 480 but they were never in stock at the time. Really happy with the 1060, though.

LMAO, this is actually why AMD is so non-existent in the market. You can't have zero mindshare and only be about as fast yet deal with having a worse reputation and using a lot more power. That's not how the world works.

The average PC gamer is like any other gamer. They want stuff that just works. Everyone has heard of Nvidia and all their friends have Nvidia and it just works. So they buy Nvidia, casual PC gamers could not give less of a fuck about GPU Wars.

Baleoce

I've got a 1060 6GB, Very happy with it. I need a better PC to do it justice though. CPU/HDD/RAM is my bottleneck atm. Anything that's purely GPU focused though just runs like a dream at 1080p.

jwhit28

Is there a way for Nvidia and AMD to gimp mining performance on consumer cards and sell a special mining version as part of their professional lines?

The RX 480 is no longer available for sale, the RX 580 has only been available on the market for 3 months vs the 1060 being available for nearly a year, and also the cryptocurrency miners have been completely buying out all stock of the RX 580 for the smart end of a month now. Take your pick.

AMD boards are too damn long, i switch to mid tower last year and love the smaller PC, i wanted to buy 480 Sapphire Nitro edition, but i have 9.8inches of room, the card was 10.8 inches, means i had to cut my case, fuck that, EVGA had smaller cards went with that..

rtcn63

Is there a way for Nvidia and AMD to gimp mining performance on consumer cards and sell a special mining version as part of their professional lines?

They've already begun dropping miner-specific variants, but there's questions over whether they'll help much since the cards have either zero or a single video output (being able to resell cards to gamers is important for many miners).

rtcn63

Hopefully Nvidia take this as a sign that the next x70 card could do with a price point closer to the 970 than the 1070 had.

Truthfully, they don't need to. The 1070 still sold well, even with the inflated prices around launch. It's just that the 1060 is pushed by the big review sites and users as "the" 1080p/60fps card, which I'm guessing makes up many if not most PC gamers.

And it's not like AMD have been giving them much to worry about.

Did you see the Vega benchmarks? Cause Nvidia saw them and jacked up the 1170's RRP another $50.

That would explain the price being kinda high still I guess.

Truthfully, they don't need to. The 1070 still sold well, even with the inflated prices around launch. It's just that the 1060 is pushed by the big review sites and users as "the" 1080p/60fps card, which I'm guessing makes up many if not most PC gamers.

And it's not like AMD have been giving them much to worry about.

Yeah true, I just kinda liked having the x70's in my price bracket. Regardless I'll be getting a massive upgrade whenever I swap out the 970 anyway so I can't really complain.

tensuke

970 still going strong, will probably upgrade once 1160/1170 come out.

Or maybe ARK will get optimized before then. Lol.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Surprised by the lack of 980 and 980Ti up in there to be honest....thought there were still pretty dang popular cards (I have an OC 980, it's still beast enough).

Hristi

Is 1060 really that good? Im planning on buying a 1070 but I only play on a 1080p monitor, is that overkill?

Soodanim

My backlog is too big for me to worry about new game performance slipping. My 970 is going to last me a long time, and I haven't even overclocked it. I'm worried about what will happen when I do though, as I'm not sure I can get as good value for money as I did with the 970.

ss_lemonade

Is 1060 really that good? Im planning on buying a 1070 but I only play on a 1080p monitor, is that overkill?

Depends on what your expectations are and what games you want to play. My 780 still plays a lot of games at high settings at 1080p while maintaining good framerates of 60 and up. Some even at max settings. I do run into a couple that give my GPU a really tough time (I'm looking at you Deus Ex Mankind Divided!).

Seeing as how the 1060 comes close to 980 performance, which is quite a big upgrade over my 780, I would imagine that you will be fine with it at 1080p

I only have a 1080p monitor, and the 1060 is great for that resolution. I get 1080p/60fps on high and high/ultra settings. The Witcher 3 looks very nice on my rig.

Turrican3

Sorry guys, new to those kind of stats.

Am I reading them right? The most popular GPU has a (more or less) 3% Steam market share?

Isn't that a bit... low?

Sorry for the (likely *extremely* noob) question, I'm trying to understand.

Guffers

Depends on what your expectations are and what games you want to play. My 780 still plays a lot of games at high settings at 1080p while maintaining good framerates of 60 and up. Some even at max settings. I do run into a couple that give my GPU a really tough time (I'm looking at you Deus Ex Mankind Divided!).

Seeing as how the 1060 comes close to 980 performance, which is quite a big upgrade over my 780, I would imagine that you will be fine with it at 1080p

I'm still happily sitting on my 780 that I bought at launch in 2013. I don't see any meaningful reason to upgrade until I finally move beyond 1080p to a 4K monitor in a year or two. I've found that I'm still getting a console beating experience in basically everything I play and have no desire to drop a chunk of money on a new card unless I'll see a really significant shift in experience. I think I've gotten pretty decent value for money for the $2200 (Australian) I spent on my system in 2013. I figure I'll do something similar next year or 2019. Buy a 4K monitor and invest in whatever the flagship card is at that point. My 4670k and motherboard will probably need to go as well.

I'm still happily sitting on my 780 that I bought at launch in 2013. I don't see any meaningful reason to upgrade until I finally move beyond 1080p to a 4K monitor in a year or two. I've found that I'm still getting a console beating experience in basically everything I play and have no desire to drop a chunk of money on a new card unless I'll see a really significant shift in experience. I think I've gotten pretty decent value for money for the $2200 (Australian) I spent on my system in 2013. I figure I'll do something similar next year or 2019. Buy a 4K monitor and invest in whatever the flagship card is at that point. My 4670k and motherboard will probably need to go as well.

For gaming only 2200 dollars per 6 years on hardware seems quite expensive.

Guffers

For gaming only 2200 dollars per 6 years on hardware seems quite expensive.

True but perhaps I made up for this by buying most of my games during steam sales? As opposed to paying for the insane cost of console games over here in Australia?

Edit. Plus I'm really comparing myself against folks who happily drop wads of cash on each new GPU every year or so.

If you have a 980Ti that can maintain a stable 1500MHz OC it would be about on par with a stock 1080 and be at a point where a 1070 outside maybe more extreme over clockers is not going to reach.

Realistically every 1080 on the market boosts to at least 1900MHz, and most good 3rd party cooled ones can reliably run at 2GHz, which is far beyond what even a heavily overclocked 980Ti can do.

llien

Am I reading them right? The most popular GPU has a (more or less) 3% Steam market share?

Isn't that a bit... low?

Despite what many gafers seem to believe ("where is 980Ti", "where is 1080Ti", $600-800 cards, you gotta be kidding me) most of steam users are neither chasing state-of-the-art GPUs, nor spend much more than $200-250 on them (if we trust Steam review, which I don't see a reason not to trust).

Does the Steam hardware survey give the response rate?
Why would you think that owners of <insert card> are less likely to participate?

Insomnium

What would be the best bang for your buck to game at 1080p atm? I'm thinking of upgrading from my 7850 due to its 2Gb VRAM. This card will go into my 2nd rig for streaming in the future (looking to pair with a Ryzen build) once I get enough cash to go all out for my main rig.

Well they are only equal in performance - everything else is better on Nvidia side. And with AMD you need overclocked i5/i7 under DX11.

Isn't that a bit... low?

First - this is everything together stat - you get both desktops and laptops in here (which shows in huge number of Intel igpu).
Second there are multiple tiers of products so the number is split among many products.
Third - people usually wait one or two generations before next upgrade so you have hardware from last few years existing in survey.

Mad Max

What would be the best bang for your buck to game at 1080p atm? I'm thinking of upgrading from my 7850 due to its 2Gb VRAM. This card will go into my 2nd rig for streaming in the future (looking to pair with a Ryzen build) once I get enough cash to go all out for my main rig.

Probably the rx580, problem is that you can't buy one anywhere for a normal price.

Darkwater

Surprised by the lack of 980 and 980Ti up in there to be honest....thought there were still pretty dang popular cards (I have an OC 980, it's still beast enough).

Just bought a used MSI 980 with a slight OC. Love it. Will do me fine for a while to come at 1080p/60.

laxu

A 980 ti is about 10% behind a 1070 stock for stock: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1070/24.html. I don't think it can reach a 1080. Even most OC'd 1070s, which are generally faster than OC'd 980tis, have trouble reaching a 1080.

Note that pretty much all reviews use a reference 980 Ti (at 1000 MHz base clock speed and only slightly higher boost clock) whereas the 980 Tis most people use are overclocked several hundred MHz right out of the box and overclocking further puts most cards at 1400-1500 MHz boost clocks. Heavily overclocked it performs fairly close to a reference clock 1080. The 10xx series doesn't overclock anywhere near as much so there is much less "free" performance to be had over the stock settings.

The 1080 is still obviously better especially when overclocked and 1070 probably runs a bit cooler and quieter but the 980 Ti is still a beast of a card. I have no desire to upgrade mine until 4K @ 144 Hz and Volta comes to the market.

I've had a 970 in my rig for the last two years. I love it as I'm all about 1080p/60. But I've been contemplating getting a 1060 6gb strictly for the increased vram. Is that a good decision?

Also, what the hell happened to GPU prices for 1060/1070/1080?! Even Nvidia.com is all sold out of the Founder cards.

Last, what is all this "mining" business and what does it have to do with GPUs?

Knurek

Last, what is all this "mining" business and what does it have to do with GPUs?

Basically this:

wp0UDqp.gif

Top Bottom