• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Just started toying around with Precision X(overclocking tool)....

OK quick screenie taken at 1920x1080

image1pt.jpg

+106Mhz GPU Offset in pX.

Benchmark was taken in Heaven 3.0 with everything set to max and at DirectX 11

As you can see, temps are about at 82-83C. Is this OK/safe? Or should I scale back a bit?

Also, during the benchmark test, I saw a very very VERY slight and quick(I'm talking like a millisecond) glimpse of what I think were artifacts. Only occurred a few times(like 3-4 times) but definitely there. What does that mean? Does that mean I should bump it back a just a tad?

vocab

I have to have a bad card or something. Running more test, this 680 is slower/the same performance as my 480 in most games and a little faster in a few.

What games have noticeable improvements for you? Also, did you see an improvement in 3dmark11?

I've been disappointed in my 670FTW since day one, and I'm not alone in saying that some things just run flat out worse on these series of cards.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
According to PCPer mid-range Kepler should be out in 'August' so it's going to be more waiting for those looking for the GTX 660.

Compared to what AMD has in the market no, looking at it's design and what was likely originally planned yes, GK104 was supposed to be the mid-range chip. Now whether it's the result of facing a poor financial reality or if it's collusion to bring up prices we can't really say. Only the people in the boardroom know.

Had AMD released a much stronger 7970 part you can bet that you'd be seeing the GK110 in consumer products.
Part of the problem is that the old cards are not becoming obsolete. It's not like the days when you would have to shlep by running low settings if your GPU was more than two years old. They're still perfectly viable for running modern titles at full quality.

So I'm sure AMD and Nvidia are getting together to make sure that they can attach a high price to high performance, even though these new cards are not leaps and bounds faster than their years old predecessors.

JoeFenix

Just started toying around with Precision X(overclocking tool)....

OK quick screenie taken at 1920x1080

image1pt.jpg

+106Mhz GPU Offset in pX.

Benchmark was taken in Heaven 3.0 with everything set to max and at DirectX 11

As you can see, temps are about at 82-83C. Is this OK/safe? Or should I scale back a bit?

Also, during the benchmark test, I saw a very very VERY slight and quick(I'm talking like a millisecond) glimpse of what I think were artifacts. Only occurred a few times(like 3-4 times) but definitely there. What does that mean? Does that mean I should bump it back a just a tad?

I have a 690 but I find that above 80C it feels a bit unstable so I always try to keep it under that. I would adjust the fan control to a more linear curve if I was you.

I think the fans just don't ramp up at all on these cards, atleast on my 690 I made my fan speed go up with the temp, 40C = 40% speed up to 70C where I just make the fan go to 100%. I run both my GPUs at 1200mhz and they never go past 72C with these fan settings.

You will get more noise when the fan goes full blast but on the 690 it's not bad at all honestly. Some people are more sensitive then others to that kind of stuff though.

PowerK

Nice graphics.
However, the demo doesn't seem to utilize more than 2 GPUs at the moment. GPU1 & GPU2 utilization hovers well above 95% while GPU3 and GPU4 are at 0%. Most likely this will be solved via their profile update.

Here're some screenshots at 2560x1600

iPq270QTBSpcj.png

ibhFquPLGU3TmD.png

ibvvFCM6HJqk1i.png

ibmSXdIZqS5yYh.png

ibnj27k6duyYTC.png

Orcastar

So any idea when we're gonna get actual release drivers that solve the v-sync stutter issue? I know the latest beta drivers supposedly solve the problem, but those were released ages ago...

I got my GTX 680 and boy is it fast. I do think however, that my Phenom II x4 clocked at 3.5ghz is severely hindering its speed. Guess I'll have to start pooling some cash for an Ivy Bridge build! :)

I notice that my particular model turbo boosts up to 1071mhz when needed and has never gone above 60degrees, usually staying in the low 50s when pushed. I recommend the card to anyone.

So EVGA GTX 680 installed and kicking ass!!! Was disappointed with SS3 BFE performance, but apparently that game is one of the few heavily cpu bound titles out there. Still runs good enough.

Yeah it def. run shitty. I have a 680 too, and a i7-920 oc'd to 3.8 and can't get a stable 60 fps. Though, I guess that i7-920 is a bit older?! I don't feel that my i7-920 should be bottlenecking my system especially at that clock, but it seems to be my weakest part. Thoughts anyone?

Yeah it def. run shitty. I have a 680 too, and a i7-920 oc'd to 3.8 and can't get a stable 60 fps. Though, I guess that i7-920 is a bit older?! I don't feel that my i7-920 should be bottlenecking my system especially at that clock, but it seems to be my weakest part. Thoughts anyone?

I have an I7-975 running at 4.0 and coupled with gtx 680, I can't run at 60fps under some scenes. I wonder if Serious Sam 3 will run better on Ivy or Sandy Bridge cpu's?

I have an I7-975 running at 4.0 and coupled with gtx 680, I can't run at 60fps under some scenes. I wonder if Serious Sam 3 will run better on Ivy or Sandy Bridge cpu's?

IF we have to discuss this, we should just accept it as is. If with an i7-975 @ 4Ghz and a 680 and you can't run it at 60 fps maxed, is it really worth breaking it down? It's probably better to just lower a few settings and accept it. It's a supremely fun game, it just has it quarks.

Top Bottom