• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Next Generation GPUs With Up To 7552 Cores Benchmarked 40% Faster Than TITAN RTX

Senua

v3USAgy.jpg

qPMCBOo.jpg

Definitely worth the frame rate hit. Ray tracing is amazing. Just wow!
A great example, thanks!

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Raytracing looks great nobody is denying that. The only problem is the FPS hit on it which makes it a hard sell. If the 3000 series can salvage that where FPS hit is like 10% over the normal performance and the normal is fastly superior towards the older cards and the price is right, raytracing will be adopted by any high end gamer as standard in a gen of cards pretty easily.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Screamer-RSA Screamer-RSA
These screenshot look terrible next to what Sony is doing in a 7870 level GPU.

Sure thing, John.
It's me "not liking it" that causes less than 1% of games to support it and even 2080 owners to disable it in settings.

Yeah, imagine what we'll get with DLSS 3, I bet it will be photorealism+, with stuff looking even more realistic, than real stuff, chuckle.
Not in every game Turing owners turn off RT. For example it doesnt make sense to turn off RT when DLSS works so great in wolfenstein 2 youngblood.

Old games arnt using these turing features, but I'm not talking about old games. More and more new games already offer RTX support and next gen consoles also will use RT (both MS and Sony have confirmed HW RT). Cant you understand the implications? You think XSX / PS5 games will not use RT, AI upscaling, VRS just because some people on PC dont like it, or dont have hardware for it? People who bought Turing GPUs will not play next gen games with maxed out settings (people will probably need Ampere or RDNA2 GPUs to play next gen porta with max settings), but at least they will be able to play these games with somewhat comparable settings.

Last edited:

llien

More and more new games already offer RTX...
Reminds me the way commies talked about our path to communism.
User base is minuscule, devs need to be bribed to add support for it.
When RT gets massive, it will be highly unlikely for current gen support in Turing to matter, it will be an outdated throwaway tech.

You think XSX / PS5 games will not use RT
If support is there, they will use it.
Not necessarily the same way they'd use it on overpriced NV cards.

AI upscaling
Buzzwords.

Is a big deal, with major benefits to pretty much anything GPU constrained.

Last edited:
Reminds me the way commies talked about our path to communism.
User base is minuscule, devs need to be bribed to add support for it.
When RT gets massive, it will be highly unlikely for current gen support in Turing to matter, it will be an outdated throwaway tech.

If support is there, they will use it.
Not necessarily the same way they'd use it on overpriced NV cards.

Buzzwords.

Is a big deal, with major benefits to pretty much anything GPU constrained.
Resolution and texture size can only go but so big. There have been newer techniques that have added better SSAO, AO, HBAO, SSR, etc. Raytracing is the next level thing. I would much rather game at 2k or even 1080p, with raytracing, than just upping the resolution and stopping there.

Pretty sure everyone can agree they would rather have this "throw away" tech, than not having it at all, like AMD for instance. There is no high end gpu I can purchase right now. So that kills your entire argument.

ZywyPL

Banned
More and more leaks suggesting that Ampere will indeed pack a whopping 7-8k cores, so what are we effectively looking at? 8K 120FPS, and still barely 60 at 1080p with RT on?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Raytracing looks great nobody is denying that. The only problem is the FPS hit on it which makes it a hard sell. If the 3000 series can salvage that where FPS hit is like 10% over the normal performance and the normal is fastly superior towards the older cards and the price is right, raytracing will be adopted by any high end gamer as standard in a gen of cards pretty easily.

There will always be a large gap between RTX and non-RTX, because it's just vastly more complicated. The question is can they get RTX performance to a point where that drop is acceptable. Right now, it's iffy, although the improved DLSS helps.

To use a very extreme example of what I am talking about, Quake 2 on my laptop runs at like 600fps. With RTX it's like 50-60. Q2 RTX is a bit of a gimmick, of course, but that's an acceptable performance level even though it's a ~90% drop.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
There will always be a large gap between RTX and non-RTX, because it's just vastly more complicated. The question is can they get RTX performance to a point where that drop is acceptable. Right now, it's iffy, although the improved DLSS helps.

To use a very extreme example of what I am talking about, Quake 2 on my laptop runs at like 600fps. With RTX it's like 50-60. Q2 RTX is a bit of a gimmick, of course, but that's an acceptable performance level even though it's a ~90% drop.
You still have to shoot insane amount of rays even in low poly game like quake 2.

RT cores in 2060S have enough power only for around 1080p at 60fps, so if game runs around 1000fps without RT, then with RT enabled performance will go down to around 60fps because CUDA cores will be a serious bottleneck. However if game runs already around 60fps at 1080p then RT cores will not bottleneck framerate that much.

hGydTlm.png

Only 5fps difference at 1080p on 2060S.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I thought it was obvious that with the RTX cards we were only getting a glimpse into the future as far as ray tracing is concerned.

The technology is clearly amazing - and in another two or three generations it will be a staple in all our games. It was super cool seeing the first implementation of ray tracing in Control and Exodus - but it was really just a small first taste.

This is how it’s been for decades now. I can still remember all the talk about ‘double bump mapping’ and how it was going to revolutionize gaming. Ambient occlusion was another big thing back in the day. Hell, I can even remember anti-aliasing being a big deal. None of this stuff happened immediately.

Ellery

I agree. What RayTracing can bring to our games shouldn't be judged based on Nvidia's RTX implementation and what hardware Nvidia thought enough to give us in order to have RayTracing effects running.

I think the little we have seen of RayTracing looks amazing and there is a lot of room left. I genuinely hope Nvidia (and AMD) increase the dedicated RayTracing hardware core count a lot and I also hope that both next gen consoles have enough of it.

TheMan

Look at the screen shots I provided. Night and day difference to the ones you cherry picked to change that narrative.

The problem with RT as it stands now is that faked lighting became so good it's pretty hard to tell the difference unless you closely scrutinize comparison shots. That alone tells you that the difference may not be worth it yet when you consider the performance hit. Plus, when you're really into the game, it will be hard to notice those kinds of minute details.

Not saying that RT isn't the future, but right now it just feels like a nice a thing to have that doesn't add much in the end. Maybe that will change in a few years.

The problem with RT as it stands now is that faked lighting became so good it's pretty hard to tell the difference unless you closely scrutinize comparison shots. That alone tells you that the difference may not be worth it yet when you consider the performance hit. Plus, when you're really into the game, it will be hard to notice those kinds of minute details.

Not saying that RT isn't the future, but right now it just feels like a nice a thing to have that doesn't add much in the end. Maybe that will change in a few years.
Can't really tell the difference unless you know what to look for...
Idk, maybe it's just me, but it's a night and day difference. Especially in motion. It's one of those things, that once you experience it, you want EVERY game to implement it. In games like control, when you enter a hallway, the reflections against the glass, floor, and objects are so accurate and detailed. The shadows and all the little details add up. You can switch between it on and off, and can see how outdated new games look that don't implement it. In earlier games like battlefield, it wasn't implemented as well as more recent games, and future games.

Raytracing is much more of an amazing feat, than the resolution bump to 4K. Now once we can do 4K, even more complex raytracing, AND hold 144fps.... I'll be in heaven (maybe literally)

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Idk, maybe it's just me, but it's a night and day difference. Especially in motion. It's one of those things, that once you experience it, you want EVERY game to implement it. In games like control, when you enter a hallway, the reflections against the glass, floor, and objects are so accurate and detailed. The shadows and all the little details add up. You can switch between it on and off, and can see how outdated new games look that don't implement it. In earlier games like battlefield, it wasn't implemented as well as more recent games, and future games.

Raytracing is much more of an amazing feat, than the resolution bump to 4K. Now once we can do 4K, even more complex raytracing, AND hold 144fps.... I'll be in heaven (maybe literally)

Not sure if the links below work, but checking it out in an image slider tool makes it a lot more obvious.

Image Slider 1

Image Slider 2

Then again my previous comment was probably a bit too critical, as I tend to be dazzled by games for like 5 minutes, and then it falls into the background with everything else.

Look at the screen shots I provided. Night and day difference to the ones you cherry picked to change that narrative.

Lol what? Cherry pick? I made those myself, they are right there in the starting section of the game, Central Executive control point. If you want to talk cherry picking can we talk about your super high res, cleaned up pics that is in essense bullshotting?

Did you even play the game?

pawel86ck

Banned
Lol what? Cherry pick? I made those myself, they are right there in the starting section of the game, Central Executive control point. If you want to talk cherry picking can we talk about your super high res, cleaned up pics that is in essense bullshotting?

What are you trying to prove. Not every surface has reflections in control, so not all screenshots will show big difference

Digital Foundry shows much better examples (13m05s), and IMO these differences are really big. BTW. your screenshot shows REALLY low framerate even considering RTX. What card was used and what settings? RTX should cut performance in half, but your screenshots shows much bigger performance impact.

Last edited:

CuNi

I hope Performance is the only thing that goes up by 40%..
I planned on shelving the fucking 1.3k € to get a Ti and be done for the next 4-5 years.
I care about raster performance though. Need to feed the 240hz monster somehow.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Can't really tell the difference unless you know what to look for...
in those images raytracing is only a beefed up form of screen space reflections which i feel is what consoles will be limited to. basically, it's just improved reflections for glass/water/metal surfaces.

global illumination raytracing is much more noticeable and impressive. i don't know all the games that use it but Metro Exodus has it and Cyberpunk 2077 will too.

Last edited:

Pretty disingenuous to take screens from that area, as I do own the game, and do know that is the only part of the game that has little to no reflections. I can take my own screens if you'd like as well, to prove my point even further. If you scrolled up some, it would be beyond obvious I not only own the game, but it's one of my personal favorite games and glimpse of what raytracing will be in the near future. And it seems you aren't using an RTX card. My frames never drop in an increment like that! Can't be a 20xx card for sure.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
in those images raytracing is only a beefed up form of screen space reflections which i feel is what consoles will be limited to. basically, it's just improved reflections for glass/water/metal surfaces.

global illumination raytracing is much more noticeable and impressive. i don't know all the games that use it but Metro Exodus has it and Cyberpunk 2077 will too.
Control has it too and so has Dying Light.
Control also has contact shadow RTX.

This is how you know all those comparison pictures showing absolutely no difference are fake.

Last edited:
Pretty disingenuous to take screens from that area, as I do own the game, and do know that is the only part of the game that has little to no reflections. I can take my own screens if you'd like as well, to prove my point even further. If you scrolled up some, it would be beyond obvious I not only own the game, but it's one of my personal favorite games and glimpse of what raytracing will be in the near future. And it seems you aren't using an RTX card. My frames never drop in an increment like that! Can't be a 20xx card for sure.

Ah so you know the game doesn't look like the screenshots you posted.

Last edited:
So I'm guessing you haven't used photo mode during an explosion before? Or are you implying the game has no difference like the screen shots YOU provided? And it's been asked before, what gpu are you using? Framerate doesn't tank like that, at ALL.
Listen buddy, I don't have to prove anything to you. I'm sorry the first place I spawned and took a pictures doesn't show your precious ray tracing in a good light.

Listen buddy, I don't have to prove anything to you. I'm sorry the first place I spawned and took a pictures doesn't show your precious ray tracing in a good light.
When anyone posts things on the internet, there are several people who will see it. There are probably some people on the fence about raytracing, and those screen shots are doing a HUGE disservice to is implementation in games. I have nothing against you, and I'm not trying to make an issue out of it, as we are both pc gamers. I just didn't think they were the best area to display "Raytracing at max settings". Walking right outside of the executive branch, would provide a night and day difference to those screens is all I'm saying.

pawel86ck

Banned
Because you are refusing to answer very simple question I'm assuming it's either not your screenshot or you are running this game on pascal GPU because RTX performance hit on "your" screenshot is just too big.

Because you are refusing to answer very simple question I'm assuming it's either not your screenshot or you are running this game on pascal GPU because RTX performance hit on "your" screenshot is just too big.

Your mom's ATI 1050Ti

Last edited:
The game looks good, and the accuracy is nonparallel to non raytracing games. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th screenshot really show how the lighting moves, depending on where the camera angle is at. Yeah dev's can fake this effect, but not on this level, or in real time.

screenshot_00002.png
screenshot_00003.png
screenshot_00004.png
screenshot_00005.png
screenshot_00006.png
screenshot_00007.png

pawel86ck

Banned
If Remedy could take back Max Payne, and add in raytracing.....HOLY SHIT. Take my money! Bullet time would never have looked so good.
Great idea. We would probably see Max reflections on the bullets :p. I think real PC enthusiasts should be happy when games use new and amazing graphics effects. It's almost like in Geforce 3 era when shaders were introduced.

Specification looks insane (8192 cores, 48GB VRAM) but that's still GPU build for professional use. I wonder when Ampere series build for gaming will launch (Q4 2020?) and how many CUDA cores 3080ti will have.
I'd imagine at least 5800 for consumer use. Probably around 1.6ghz base clock, boost up to 1.9ghz, and 2.2ghz AIB OC. Just a guess, but man this card will kick some serious ass!

Kenpachii

mk9YNV5.jpg

I think it should be RTX 2080 replacement. I would expect 3080ti to feature at least 16GB.

Yikes that's bad, nvidia aint pushed by AMD it seems like.

12gb of v-ram only 65-70% faster then a 1080ti. Yea that aint the 3080ti for sure. 12gb is way to low specially if amd pushes 24gb.

Last edited:

Try shooting the floor where those pretty lights are.

At best you'll get a low res 'bullet hole' textures on the ground that will disappear after 10 seconds! Quite pathetic really, how under-the-hood game engine things have not changed barely at all but superficially things have advanced super fast.

Physics, AI etc need to be advanced not just prettier lights and textures ad infinitum.

Even the NVIDIA CEO GTC keynote live stream has been cancelled. It got transformed into a joint event consisting of news announcements and a public investor call.

NVIDIA said:
NVIDIA today announced that, in light of the spread of the coronavirus, it is deferring plans to deliver a webcast keynote as part of the digital version of its GPU Technology Conference later this month.

The company will, instead, issue on Tuesday, March 24, news announcements that had been scheduled to be shared in the keynote. This will be followed by an investor call with NVIDIA founder and Chief Executive Officer Jensen Huang, which will be accessible to other listeners.

The call will begin at 8am Pacific time and will be accessible at investor.nvidia.com.

Xdrive05

Call me they release $200 GPUs from this new generation that outperform their previous generation’s $200 GPUs by 40%. Or same point about their entry level RTX line.

Until then it’s all wankery for niche market big spenders.

Top Bottom