• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia responds to GTX 970 memory issue

holygeesus

Banned
Well he'll mostly be using it for exclusives or older games, since he'll be buying most new multiplats on his PS4 to play together with friends.

That really sucks though. Do a lot of recent/upcoming PC games use all 4GB of VRAM?

You can't play Dying Light maxed out because it is a horribly optimized game pumped out by a horribly inept studio. I wouldn't use that game, this early in it's life, as any kind of benchmark at all.

Marlenus

I wouldn't have. A 980 costs a whopping 70% more for about 20% more performance. And an extra 0.5GB....

I mean, fair enough if you would have, but I'd still have gotten a 970 even if I knew about this beforehand. Its still a powerful ass card.

Granted, I wasn't planning on keeping this card for years and years, though.

I agree. The issue is not really about the card but the fact NV were not upfront about the card configuration.

If you play at 1080p then it is still a good card for the money. What sucks are those who purchased 2/3 for SLi @ 4K.

dr_rus

Let him play something new like Dying Light. High textures results in VRAM usage up to 4GB.

I didn't really care for the whole thing, till today. I can't play Dying Light maxed out with 2 GTX970 because of the VRAM problem.

So presumably 980 owners can, right?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My brother just bought a GTX 970 for his first custom built gaming PC...

He's only going to be using it to play 1080p games though, so he shouldn't be too effected by this, but it's still a bit disconcerting knowing that it may not last as long as he would've liked. =/

1080p is a waste of that card for most games. Has he heard of DSR yet?

1080p is a waste of that card for most games. Has he heard of DSR yet?
You mean downsampling? He's not the most technologically knowledgeable person, so I'm the one who's been researching all these hardware specs and stuff. I've only done a little bit of research on it so far though.

Is the Nvidia DSR better than something like GeDoSaTo?

Well, at least you won't have any stuttering I suppose?

If what you are saying about the 970SLI in this game is true, we should do a testbetween two users (you with 970s) and a user with 980 SLI to see if the stuttering is actually occuring due to the 3.5GB partition.

You mean downsampling? He's not the most technologically knowledgeable person, so I'm the one who's been researching all these hardware specs and stuff. I've only done a little bit of research on it so far though.

Is the Nvidia DSR better than something like GeDoSaTo?

GeDoSaTo only works for DirectX 9 games (so most new games don't work), and isn't the easiest to setup. DSR works for all games.

If I game works with GeDoSaTo I prefer to use it instead of DSR, as it provides better scaling algorithms and even higher resolutions to sample from than DSR. It also works with stereo 3D while DSR doesn't.

pestul

All this talk of future proofing makes me chuckle. You know what you are getting into with PC gaming. If you expected a £270 GFX card to be future-proof you are deluding yourself. Just play the games available NOW and worry about the future when it arrives. Hell, if I get a couple of years out of mine, I'd consider it money well spent, and I've already had a fair chunk of that, enjoying games for what they are, not losing my hair running benchmarks, worrying about what might be.
I got 5yrs out of my crossfire 5850s. Is it really too much to ask for a couple of good years with the 970?

heringer

Worse case scenario you will have to lower your textures from Ultra to Very High in future games. And if you are sensitive about this, shouldn't you be moving on to a more powerfull card anyway when the problem arrives?

No. Its a hardware problem.

Hmm, well that sucks.

I bought my MSI 970 Golden Edition before I heard of these issues. I suppose if I'm relegated to run with High/Very High textures instead of Ultra textures it wouldn't be the end of the world as I'm personally not that much of a graphics enthusiast.

I'm very impressed with the card otherwise.

Marlenus

No. Its a hardware problem.

Technically it is not a problem but working as intended.

The issue is that it was not communicated in an open way before or on the launch. The initial wave of reviewers were given false information concerning the specs of the card and the official specs had no indication that it was an odd configuration.

It is all rather deceptive and I think that anybody who purchased the card and wants a refund should get one. That is not to say the card is bad because it is not, it was sold under false pretenses. Now that information is out there consumers can make an informed choice and for 1080p or 1440p the card is still very good but it does lose a bit for those who went SLi and 4k due to the memory limitations.

The other issue revolves around the reliance of drivers to ensure the fast 3.5GB is used before the slow 512MB. As we have seen with Kepler cards once a new architecture is released the driver improvements for the old architecture slow right down and performance relative to its peers goes down. With a card that requires even more finessing than usual it might end up being a lot worse off in the next year or so. People who wanted a bit of future proofing and thought they were getting a genuine 4GB card were totally mislead here.

dr_rus

Well, at least you won't have any stuttering I suppose?

That's what I'd like you to find out before saying that this is because of 970's memory thing and not just a problem of running out of 4 GB of VRAM in general or NV's drivers being bad in general or game's code being crap.

Saying that some game stutters on 970 because of the 970's memory architecture needs some proof you know. The easiest way is to find out how the same game perform with the same settings on a 980.

bootski

That's what I'd like you to find out before saying that this is because of 970's memory thing and not just a problem of running out of 4 GB of VRAM in general or NV's drivers being bad in general or game's code being crap.

Saying that some game stutters on 970 because of the 970's memory architecture needs some proof you know. The easiest way is to find out how the same game perform with the same settings on a 980.

what do you mean? if you pushed a card with 4GB VRAM to 4GB, you'd experiencing stuttering and other gfx issues right? it's been shown pretty handily on posts all over the internet now that the 970 behaves as it if has a 3.5GB VRAM cap and the performance seems to be the same as hitting a 4GB cap on a real 4GB card.

New frametimes testing in Watch Dogs from pcgameshardware.de (at the bottom of the page). 970 vs a downclocked 980 and a 290X.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Geforce-GTX-970-Grafikkarte-259503/Specials/zu-wenig-VRAM-1149056/

This doesn't look good...
AJ652x0.png

uj6IZnN.png

XAzRtWP.png

FtsH

Rehosted/fixed your images.

Thanks. I'll update my post.

Google translate from the article:

The frametimes be far more uneven compared to the GTX 980 (which, incidentally, may approve about 70 MiB more still) and it shows not only in the diagram, but sensitive natures can do this in a direct comparison in the game notice.

well...that 970 frametimes over 3.5G is definitely something abnormal....

but...but how could 290X frametimes dramatically improved with increased VRAM using? Should 290X user always fill the VRAM to get better gaming experience?

The game just runs really bad on AMD GPUs. I remember it was used as the posterchild for the "Gameworks is out to ruin games for AMD GPUs" crusade a little while ago.

bootski

but...but how could 290X frametimes dramatically improved with increased VRAM using? Should 290X user always fill the VRAM to get better gaming experience?

6Cmb.jpg

it's because they zoom the graph out twice as far to accommodate for the frametime increase expected from a halving of framerate. the left image is still better than the right. although, you're right, the 290 shows an unsually high amt of spiking on the left.

The Llama

6Cmb.jpg

WTF is up with the 290x in the first benchmark? Surely there was something going on there, given how much better it looks in the 2nd one?

Edit: So wait, the left one is 1080p Ultra but right is 4k with High textures (ultra other things), right? I remember reading how Ultra textures caused microstuttering in Watch_Dogs, I guess that's whats going on? Weird, since IIRC it seemed to affect nVidia GPU's too (I remember 780 owners complaining, though maybe the 3GB VRAM had something to do with that).

Question my systeam uses 400mb of vram on its own, why with drivers would it not be possible to allocate this to the slower memory pool and keep the 3.5gb vram for gaming thereby still using 3.9gb vram?

bootski

Question my systeam uses 400mb of vram on its own, why with drivers would it not be possible to allocate this to the slower memory pool and keep the 3.5gb vram for gaming thereby still using 3.9gb vram?

excellent question. i've wondered about different software methods nvidia could use to mitigate the issue as well with this seeming like the most sensical one. however, you'd still potentially run into the issue of windows trying to access its partition during gametime resulting in the happenings although theoretically, it'd be a lot less pronounced that the current situation.

potam

Banned
well. if they can work some magic, I'll be *very* happy to keep the card. I just want a little more peace of mind.

Well... that's something, isn't it? Sounds like a good thing to me.

Honestly sounds like PR bullshit to me. "Hey guys we had this great system in place we were hoping you would never notice. But don't worry, it's state-of-the-art and just as good as full 4GB!"

"Oh btw, since you guys figured it out, that old system was complete shit. But don't worry! We're implementing a new workaround which will be awesome!!!"

norm9

How big a deal is this really? It's a good card at a good price.

I purchased a 970 and have been able to do ultra or very high for most games at pretty good frame rates. At some point it won't and I'll keep lowering settings till it's acceptable.

Honestly sounds like PR bullshit to me. "Hey guys we had this great system in place we were hoping you would never notice. But don't worry, it's state-of-the-art and just as good as full 4GB!"

"Oh btw, since you guys figured it out, that old system was complete shit. But don't worry! We're implementing a new workaround which will be awesome!!!"

I would ordinarily agree, but their rep is on the line now.

They don't want to burn bridges or push people to the competition. That's what would happen if they fuck this up further.

Mr Swine

Banned
excellent question. i've wondered about different software methods nvidia could use to mitigate the issue as well with this seeming like the most sensical one. however, you'd still potentially run into the issue of windows trying to access its partition during gametime resulting in the happenings although theoretically, it'd be a lot less pronounced that the current situation.

I wonder if they can do it, it would probably be hard if not impossible to make sure that the amount of cram windows is using goes into the slower part of the ram. If they can somehow fix it would be great news!

potam

Banned
I would ordinarily agree, but their rep is on the line now.

They don't want to burn bridges or push people to the competition. That's what would happen if they fuck this up further.

I doubt they'll fuck it up further, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to say, "Hey, don't worry, we're going to continue to improve performance through software updates," when this is clearly a hardware issue, and not software.

With that being said, if they do manage to cook up some coding wizardry and do negate the hardware issue, then I'll be happy.

So this could be why my games stutters so much @ high VRAM usage?

If that's the case I'll confront my retailer about a refund for these cards. This is not acceptable.

I wonder if they can do it, it would probably be hard if not impossible to make sure that the amount of cram windows is using goes into the slower part of the ram. If they can somehow fix it would be great news!

This isn't something that can be fixed. It's broken by design. It's a question of whether they can miracle up a solution that makes it all but unnoticeable in real world gaming applications now and in the future.

So this could be why my games stutters so much @ high VRAM usage?

If that's the case I'll confront my retailer about a refund for these cards. This is not acceptable.

depends on what game you're referring to. very few games are going to push above 3.5GB of ram right now.

Grief.exe

biggest news of that is it seems Nvidia will help you get a refund.

edit: nm, just reread it and it appears he may be addressing just that one dude who bought the 970 last month.

142a.jpg

I think I will find myself pushed towards a refund once the 1070 comes out.

Gruso

How big a deal is this really? It's a good card at a good price.

I purchased a 970 and have been able to do ultra or very high for most games at pretty good frame rates. At some point it won't and I'll keep lowering settings till it's acceptable.
My opinion is that today, it's not much of an issue for me. I don't even own a game that will max the VRAM of this card without performing some OTT and unrepresentative experiments. But I'm also someone who generally goes a few years between upgrades, and with some of the hefty titles on the horizon I'm a little nervous. Will I need to start gimping settings 12 months into the life of this thing? I don't need to run Ultra textures, but what happens when High demands 4GB?

potam

Banned
Just looked back at some of my old AC:U screenshots that I was able to find links for, and I noticed that most of them show memory usage hovering around ~3.5GB. Then, there is this shot from inside one of the churches, and I specifically remember getting horrible frame drops/stuttering right here:

Note it is using 3.8 GB there. I had always assumed it was some weird engine bug, but I guess it makes sense now. Point is, I play at 1440p and am already experiencing situations that take it above 3.5GB, and I'm suffering for it.

I realize a single screenshot and an anecdote is hardly conclusive evidence...but I just figured I'd throw it out there.

Just looked back at some of my old AC:U screenshots that I was able to find links for, and I noticed that most of them show memory usage hovering around ~3.5GB. Then, there is this shot from inside one of the churches, and I specifically remember getting horrible frame drops/stuttering right here:

Note it is using 3.8 GB there. I had always assumed it was some weird engine bug, but I guess it makes sense now. Point is, I play at 1440p and am already experiencing situations that take it above 3.5GB, and I'm suffering for it.

I realize a single screenshot and an anecdote is hardly conclusive evidence...but I just figured I'd throw it out there.

That section runs (at least used to run) like shit on any computer

I think I will find myself pushed towards a refund once the 1070 comes out.

Hopefully PeterS@Nvidia will be around at time to help me get a refund >_>

norm9

My opinion is that today, it's not much of an issue for me. I don't even own a game that will max the VRAM of this card without performing some OTT and unrepresentative experiments. But I'm also someone who generally goes a few years between upgrades, and with some of the hefty titles on the horizon I'm a little nervous. Will I need to start gimping settings 12 months into the life of this thing? I don't need to run Ultra textures, but what happens when High demands 4GB?

I'm a pretty casual player, so as far as I'm concerned, I bought it with the expectation that it'll hold tight for a good five years, and I think it'll be true. Advancements are slowing down, optmizations will make things work. Hopefully.

Also, things look pretty good now. COmpanies just need to work on frame rates on consoles and pc. They'll optimize. I believe.

Top Bottom