• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia RTX 2080 Ti/2080/2070/2060 Offical Announcement - Gamescom Conference Live Today 6PM CEST/12PM EDT/9AM PDT:

LordOfChaos

I actually find I don't have sticker shock - they substantially improved traditional raster performance at the same time as adding a massive new logic block for RT, on a 1_nm node, it was going to be expensive.

I feel like the real game starts with 7nm, when this feature set can be sold at a smaller size/price.

I'm also wondering if AMD has a response to this - this is a whole new architecture that took years of work, and if they're going to have an RT response soon, they'd have had to have been working at it for years.

prag16

Banned
$600 for a 2070? This inflation is freaking nuts
Seriously. 970 was what, $350? Maybe slightly less than that for the base card?

That's massive inflation for the "upper mid tier" level over three generations.

well at least a 2070 for $500 is alright.
It's $499 for the 2070

Where are you guys seeing this? Was it on the stream? I can't watch the stream, but was seeing multiple reports in tech/gaming media of $599 for the 2070.

EDIT Yeah now I'm seeing some sources saying 500/700/1000 rather than 600/800/1200. Were the first couple I saw in CAD or something?

EDIT2
Founders Edition pricing.
I see.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

iu

Leonidas

In for the RTX 2070 for $499.

Won't be buying any next-gen console unless it has similar ray tracing technology.

Last edited:
Cant wait.. to buy a used 1070 when people upgrade. Not really feeling like giving nVidia money.
You're still contributing to the userbase that allows them to get away with murder.

I'm also wondering if AMD has a response to this - this is a whole new architecture that took years of work, and if they're going to have an RT response soon, they'd have had to have been working at it for years.
As far as I know, it's a Polaris refresh for 2018 and the new Navi architecture for 2019 (1080 level performance for $250 rumored).

Last edited:

Xdrive05

Wondering if the 2070 has a 1070 like memory situation with the last bit at a slower speed, since it has all the memory of the 2080 but less GPU functional units enabled.

Not that it ended up mattering all that much in the end for the 1070s price/performance, but I'm curious.

I suspect folks will investigate this ASAP considering the controversy the last time around. The same tests that revealed it on the 1070 *should* reveal it here too, unless Nvidia went out of their way to hide it. It’ll be curious to see if the bad PR from the last time around caused them to find another way to hit that yield bracket and avoid the bandwidth issue on that last unit if memory. Or maybe their monopoly says “don’t bother, don’t ask, don’t tell.”

The 2070 at $500 seems great! BUT I’m very curious to see how this entry level RTX card actually performs at real games using RTX, say, Battlefield V as demoed. I remember when DX10 cards first came out, only the highest end ones would do acceptable frames with DX10 features actually turned on, if I remember correctly. Or was that DX9 or DX11? You get the concern.

Last edited:
Seriously. 970 was what, $350? Maybe slightly less than that for the base card?

That's massive inflation for the "upper mid tier" level over three generations.

Where are you guys seeing this? Was it on the stream? I can't watch the stream, but was seeing multiple reports in tech/gaming media of $599 for the 2070.

Founders Edition pricing.

pr0cs

Some cool demos but I really need to see performance comparison against existing cards in existing games.

Was it me or was the performance drop really noticeable in tomb raider with rtx on vs off?

LordOfChaos

As far as I know, it's a Polaris refresh for 2018 and the new Navi architecture for 2019 (1080 level performance for $250 rumored).

That's what I was thinking about, Nvidia will not only introduce this RTX, but get it on 7nm and probably start moving down in price, while AMDs roadmap doesn't appear to include anything like it for at least two to three years out. Seems like it will make for an enhancement of the existing vicious cycle of AMD going for the lower margin products with no response to the top end.

Interesting times ahead at any rate. And then Intel is entering the game in 2020.

The 2070 is $732 in Europe. What a joke.

Yours includes VAT while the American price doesn't, no?
Might still be a slight overcharge after but that often seems forgotten.

Last edited:

klosos

The presentation was good and the RTX20 series seem impressive, however am holding off til i see real world results in games against the gtx10 series. If they are impressive ill bite.

$500 RTX 2070 being faster than 1080 Ti, not bad at all. Now will be waiting for 2080 benches.

Nvidia just made xbox1x and ps4pro last gen. Now not just in performance, that happened 2 years ago, but now in visuals too. I hope next box and ps5 will have real time ray tracing and GI.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Ordered a MSI 2080 Ti Gaming X. Can't wait to test it in DCS in VR. Then foveated VR hopefully soon. I wonder if more stuff can be utilized by the AI part of the GPU.

Last edited:

peronmls

That price. How can anybody say "my wallet is ready"? I can buy a used car for that much. If you are not rich you are poor. No in between.
you still give them your money you tit xD
unless it's a third party selling. They take hit's on returns.

The presentation was good and the RTX20 series seem impressive, however am holding off til i see real world results in games against the gtx10 series. If they are impressive ill bite.
Same. Hopefully the 1080ti takes a price tumble, too. If there's not a huge difference between it and the 2080 I'd go for it.

Meh3D

It says right on NVidia’s website, 599.99 for the 2070. Are these other models that people are looking at?

Vlaphor

You mean how they manned her up a bit for this game? Yeah it's stupid, but it not that bad.

No, I hate how they turned her into a whiny loser who hates what she's doing. 2013 Lara was alright, but ROTR Lara is the worst gaming protagonist of all time.

...and I do miss her figure as well.

klosos

Same. Hopefully the 1080ti takes a price tumble, too. If there's not a huge difference between it and the 2080 I'd go for it.
Ya i mean i just checked overclockers uk and they have the 2080ti at £1,049,99 for the cheapest 2080ti. Silly money for graphics card.

ffs AMD get back in the game and provide some competition.

Last edited:

llien

ffs AMD get back in the game and provide some competition.

AMD: "dear gamers, next time I have a good product, don't fall for green FUD (e.g 280(x) vs 960), it will let us invest more into R&D, instead of essentially gambling with technology".

Kamina

Golden Boy
Was waiting for a 2080 (not TI), but it seems its weaker than a 1080TI by numbers?
Can you guys give me your thoughts please?

Boss Mog

Was waiting for a 2080 (not TI), but it seems its weaker than a 1080TI by numbers?
Can you guys give me your thoughts please?
Jensen said the 2070 was more powerful that the Titan xP so the 2080 should blow the 1080 Ti out of the water so to speak.

llien

1080ti performance at nearly the same price point as an architecture that was out for over 2 years.
But this time, with "ray tracing" of sorts. Chuckle.

Jensen said the 2070 was more powerful that the Titan xP
IN RAY TRACING dude, Jesus, nVidia FUD is so powerful...

1080ti performance at nearly the same price point as an architecture that was out for over 2 years.

To be fair though, they always, clearly stated that the jump is in Ray Tracing.

But they know people will just gobble it up. They count on it.

Ecto311

The RTX thing has to be working some funny numbers. TFLops vs new flops? The 8gb card is 3gb smaller than a TI and so much more powerful? I can't wrap my head around a 1080ti being a 7th or so in power compared to a 2070? They shit all over the current line of cards on paper by the numbers in the presentation but I am waiting to see side by side comparisons. Are there many games out there using ray tracing or is it something that can be worked into existing games?

Pejo

Welp, looks like I'm holding off another year or two with my 6+ year old rig. Bummer. Like Horsemama said, will def. be keeping my eyes on used 1070s though.

The RTX thing has to be working some funny numbers. TFLops vs new flops? The 8gb card is 3gb smaller than a TI and so much more powerful? I can't wrap my head around a 1080ti being a 7th or so in power compared to a 2070? They shit all over the current line of cards on paper by the numbers in the presentation but I am waiting to see side by side comparisons. Are there many games out there using ray tracing or is it something that can be worked into existing games?
Metro, BFV and Shadow of the Tomb Raider are the only ones I can think of and they're all using nvidia's implementation which as I said earlier in the thread I don't trust for a minute. I'm far more interested in the Vulkan-based GPUOpen tech AMD showed at GDC.
https://gpuopen.com/announcing-real-time-ray-tracing/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1255...cing-for-prorender-and-radeon-gpu-profiler-12

Last edited:

J4K

We just saw the future of lighting in gaming, and y'all be angry over basically $100 bucks or so.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Looks like the first September batch of the card I ordered from my store sold out almost immediately. Now next shipping date shows October..

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
$500 RTX 2070 being faster than 1080 Ti, not bad at all. Now will be waiting for 2080 benches.

Nvidia just made xbox1x and ps4pro last gen. Now not just in performance, that happened 2 years ago, but now in visuals too. I hope next box and ps5 will have real time ray tracing and GI.
Much faster with RTX on, yes for sure......Boy, I knew this whole conference and the many references to the $68,000 DGX2 was just trying to warm folk up to a price hike probe "sans lube"....

Also, Nvidia says $500.00, but actually the card you will get on debut is going to be $599 for the Founder's Edition. Prices may even skyrocket, if there are not many to go buy come the 20th.....Also, if the cooling solution is so good, where noise is 1/5th that of a fully OC'd 1080ti, what's the need for AIB's past aesthetics anyway. This will be interesting, but we need benches to test games ourselves...

Also, some of the presentation looked really fake and exxagerated, like the balls in the cube demo, but more worrying are all those low framerate and stuttering demos with RTX on. Many of those demos were running at really low clips and there's still lots of blurriness and softness to many of their RTX scenes....

One thing is sure, "RTX ON" will run at 1fps on AMD cards, due to the crippling nature of NV tech (a la gameworks). I'm looking forward to AMD's raytracing answer and their new or (re-engineered) cards, now that NV has revealed their wares......They even have a tap into the cloud (machine learning) type neural setup for these cards, seems right up MS's alley???? XB2 is back on NV perhaps...?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Referring to wikipedia, the GTX 10-series cards were priced as follows at launch:
GTX 1060 - $249
GTX 1070 - $379
GTX 1080 - $549
GTX 1080ti - $699

Founders Edition:
GTX 1070 - $449
GTX 1080 - $699
GTX 1080ti - $699 *Launched a year after 1080

RTX 20-series cards:
RTX 2060 - *Unknown. 33% increase will give a nice $329 msrp.
RTX 2070 - $499 +31.7%
RTX 2080 - $699 +27.3%
RTX 2080ti - $999 +42.9%

Founders Edition:
RTX 2070 - $599 +33.4%
RTX 2080 - $799 +14.3%
RTX 2080ti - $1,199 +71.5% *Simultaneous launch with 2070/80 RTX cards.

I'm priced into the 2060 tier, so I'll wait to see what those cards offer. To nitpick a bit, the name change from GTX to RTX sounds weaker to me.

The marketing hype around real-time ray tracing is feeling a bit "highest quality uncompressed pixels"-ly to me.

Last edited:

scydrex

Those price is what is keeping me from building a new PC... Would love to but damn. The 970 was released at a good price but this 1070 for $500? Hell no.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Also, some of the presentation looked really fake and exxagerated, like the balls in the cube demo, but more worrying are all those low framerate and stuttering demos with RTX on. Many of those demos were running at really low clips and there's still lots of blurriness and softness to many of their RTX scenes....

It's not exactly a secret that fully ray traced apps is not going to happen this gen. The point of the implementation this time is to do rasterization but with some of the benefits of the ray tracing- and AI engine mixed in.

Last edited:

llien

Referring to wikipedia, the GTX 10-series cards were priced as follows at launch:
GTX 1060 - $249
GTX 1070 - $379
GTX 1080 - $549
GTX 1080ti - $699

RTX 20-series cards:
RTX 2060 - *Unknown. 33% increase will give a nice $329 msrp.
RTX 2070 - $499 +31.7%
RTX 2080 - $699 +27.3%
RTX 2080ti - $999 +42.9%

I'm priced into the 2060 tier, so I'll wait to see what those cards offer. To nitpick a bit, the name change from GTX to RTX sounds weaker to me.

The marketing hype around real-time ray tracing is feeling a bit "highest quality uncompressed pixels"-ly to me.
Could you include FE prices as well? Because they changed more drastically.

Top Bottom