• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

knguyen

Guys, what sites should I keep my eyes on if I want to grab a 3060 on Feb 25th? Bestbuy, Amazon, neweggs, or those manufacturers' sites?

kiphalfton

Guys, what sites should I keep my eyes on if I want to grab a 3060 on Feb 25th? Bestbuy, Amazon, neweggs, or those manufacturers' sites?

Create and account on EVGA website, and check everyday at 6am PST leading up to February 25th. Then sign up for the queue by clicking "Notify Me" as soon as your fingers can input your email associated with your EVGA account. This is the best way. Don't bother with trying to get it on Best Buy, Amazon, etc. ad you will lose to bots.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I keep seeing reddit posts not to update uefi with rtx 30xx card if You have x570/zen 2 or 3.
Any idea what's up ?

Armorian

Banned
I keep seeing reddit posts not to update uefi with rtx 30xx card if You have x570/zen 2 or 3.
Any idea what's up ?

There is something weird with that, i updated mb bios and after that there were 3 beeps every time I booted up the system, but everything was working fine. I flashed my palit gaming pro bios with newest oc version and it fixed those 3 beeps. So it's gpu bios issue or and chipset bios issue

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Can’t believe they’re adding a fourth card to the mix when they can’t make enough 70, 80 and 90s. This is going to slow down production even more.

Maybe this has already been posted elsewhere, but might as well post it here:

I've read an article that Nvidia is purposely nerfing the 3060's for crypto; I think something like 50% less efficient for crypto. So hopefully there will be less demand from miners for the 3060 and gamers can actually get their hands on 3000 series cards.

Nvidia is coming up with a "CMP" (Crypto-Mining Processor) specifically for crypto. More here:

TriSuit666

Banned
So MSI says they have Re-size BAR (SAM) support for 30xx cards but Nvidia says it's coming soon?

Or does "ready" mean they are set and just waiting for Nvidia?
It’s already in the bios for certain boards, please understand this only works if your Windows setup is configured for UEFI operation only. It’ll crash to fuck if you have the CSM setting enabled.

kiphalfton

Can’t believe they’re adding a fourth card to the mix when they can’t make enough 70, 80 and 90s. This is going to slow down production even more.
5th card, not 4th

There's already:
3060 Ti

Also I wouldn't doubt it if they release 2 more low-end cards and "Super" versions of the top 3 cards. I foresee Nvidia keeping Ampere around for 2-3 years before moving on to something new. So get comfortable.

looking at a pre-build rig since apparently you can't get anything anymore, not just graphic cards.

Intel® Core™ i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8 core
32GB 3200 RAM
512GB NVMe SSD
RTX3090
750W power supply
Wifi 6

this would run $2950 or so plus tax. wondering if I want to sink that kinda money on it or not. any suggestions?

Robot Carnival Robot Carnival , any specific need for 32gb of memory? Could you go 16gb and maybe get an 850w PSU and/or 1tb NVME?

to be honest, I still have a 1000W PSU at home and the 512GB NVMe is mostly for the OS. I would get another NVMe for storage/gaming. as for the RAM, it's just kinda future proof and for having more stuff running at the same time. I could probably go down to 16GB without much issue, but it'll only cut down on the price for about $100 so not a big difference.

Last edited:
I'm starting to wonder if by the time these cards are reasonably available, if I will have lost interest in "future proofing" my PC for current and future gen games. I think I might just be content with my current games catalog, which can be comfortably supported with my GTX 1070 Ti.

I have lived through various gaming-related scarcities before (hell, even stuff like the Majora's Mask 3DS...) and this has got to be the most ridiculous one yet.

regawdless

Banned
One of the most fun things about getting a new, way more powerful GPU, is to actually go to the backlog and discover older games that just run absolutely great on it.

I'm currently playing Dishonored 2 for the first time. With some reshade, at 4k maxed, it runs at around 70-80 fps in general on my 3080. Looks very good and is a ton of fun.

It was such a pain to hunt one down without paying extra, but seeing how shitty the situation still is... Those weeks of being glued to the phone have been worth it.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
One of the most fun things about getting a new, way more powerful GPU, is to actually go to the backlog and discover older games that just run absolutely great on it.

I'm currently playing Dishonored 2 for the first time. With some reshade, at 4k maxed, it runs at around 70-80 fps in general on my 3080. Looks very good and is a ton of fun.

It was such a pain to hunt one down without paying extra, but seeing how shitty the situation still is... Those weeks of being glued to the phone have been worth it.

Ya not super old but I first played Doom Eternal on my 1080, it ran pretty well but Im waiting for the second DLC to release so I can play all the DLC on my 3080

Durask

looking at a pre-build rig since apparently you can't get anything anymore, not just graphic cards.

Intel® Core™ i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8 core
32GB 3200 RAM
512GB NVMe SSD
RTX3090
750W power supply
Wifi 6

this would run $2950 or so plus tax. wondering if I want to sink that kinda money on it or not. any suggestions?

IMHO buying a premade PC is the only way to get a new video card these days. Plus you can put nicehash on it and make your money back in less than a year.

Loke

After 4 months of waiting it finally arrived... :lollipop_smiling_hearts:

JPkfyzd.jpg

Note that HU didn't even bother to test with RT or DLSS and the results are still stark. The AMD card does not hold up well even with traditional rasterization only.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I continue to lose daily at the Newegg shuffe. Hopefully the evga queues that I signed up for start moving again :(

so, got a bit of good news for myself. I've been doing ok with the games I play but since I'm using a pretty old PC with i7 quad core CPU and a 780 GPU, it's been long overdue for an upgrade. but of course, GPU market being the way it is, making it impossible. last month, I found a deal for iBuyPower PC and figured I'll get a custom pre-build instead since after the discount it's only a little under $200 overprice than if I pay for all the parts myself from Newegg if they're available. thou when picking the parts for the PC they said for the CPU (Ryzen 9 5900) and the GPU (Nvidia RTX 3080) there might be a lead time of up to 12 weeks. I'm not really in a hurry so just made the purchase. they did gave me an update at around 2 weeks saying that they're still waiting for parts so I didn't think much of it. but the day before I got an email from them saying that they got all the parts now and are putting together the PC. they notified my after they did the QC and burn-in test too and seems like now it's just waiting to be pack and ship.

I know pre-build isn't suitable for everyone's situation, but I think if you are in the market for a whole new PC and not just upgrading parts or if you're replacing a lot of the parts, maybe consider pre-builds and look into good places to get them. as long as the price difference isn't too big from what you pay for parts yourself, maybe under $200~300, I feel it's basically the best option at the moment for some people. thou I personally would avoid Alienware and others that do custom parts. Alienware with their "innovative" way of placing the PSU and those questionable motherboards is a major offender, not to mention they're usually $500 or more overpriced than when you get the parts yourself. I think you should definitely find a seller that allows you to pick all the parts yourself.

anyway, just want to share some good news. plus, if they can get the parts in 1 month, maybe the shortage is getting better. just stay hopeful.

so, got a bit of good news for myself. I've been doing ok with the games I play but since I'm using a pretty old PC with i7 quad core CPU and a 780 GPU, it's been long overdue for an upgrade. but of course, GPU market being the way it is, making it impossible. last month, I found a deal for iBuyPower PC and figured I'll get a custom pre-build instead since after the discount it's only a little under $200 overprice than if I pay for all the parts myself from Newegg if they're available. thou when picking the parts for the PC they said for the CPU (Ryzen 9 5900) and the GPU (Nvidia RTX 3080) there might be a lead time of up to 12 weeks. I'm not really in a hurry so just made the purchase. they did gave me an update at around 2 weeks saying that they're still waiting for parts so I didn't think much of it. but the day before I got an email from them saying that they got all the parts now and are putting together the PC. they notified my after they did the QC and burn-in test too and seems like now it's just waiting to be pack and ship.

I know pre-build isn't suitable for everyone's situation, but I think if you are in the market for a whole new PC and not just upgrading parts or if you're replacing a lot of the parts, maybe consider pre-builds and look into good places to get them. as long as the price difference isn't too big from what you pay for parts yourself, maybe under $200~300, I feel it's basically the best option at the moment for some people. thou I personally would avoid Alienware and others that do custom parts. Alienware with their "innovative" way of placing the PSU and those questionable motherboards is a major offender, not to mention they're usually $500 or more overpriced than when you get the parts yourself. I think you should definitely find a seller that allows you to pick all the parts yourself.

anyway, just want to share some good news. plus, if they can get the parts in 1 month, maybe the shortage is getting better. just stay hopeful.

Good news for you indeed, happy for you. Even though you said you're not in a rush, I hope you get a shipping notification soon!

I also wanted to highlight just how positive, optimistic, and helpful your post is. We need more of that around here.

Cheers! 😀

Good news for you indeed, happy for you. Even though you said you're not in a rush, I hope you get a shipping notification soon!

I also wanted to highlight just how positive, optimistic, and helpful your post is. We need more of that around here.

Cheers! 😀

haha, thanks. figure we could use some good news, even if it doesn't really apply to a lot of people. I have a friend who placed an order on the shopBLT.com site for an ASUS TUF 3080 back in Feb or something also got an email back saying his order would be in stock next week and they'll charge his card once it's shipped out. the price of the card did go up from $900 to like $1150 now or something thou, which is understandable seeing that ASUS themselves had jacked up the price. so yeah, looks like if you can't get lucky with snagging a card on Best Buy restock or Newegg shuffle, maybe order from one of these sites that would actually let you order and ship your card according to your place in line. it's not going to be soon but at least it's something. thou make sure to find one that allow you to change or cancel order if you need to just in case.

so I finally got my machine, and there might be an interesting twist/surprise in store for me. nothing bad but I'll need to confirm things first before I share it. I still need to switch out the CPU fan too so once I've done that I would post a picture of the finishing product. why am I switching out the CPU fan? because I don't like water cool and their options were mostly water cool with some subpar fans. I got a bequeit! Dark Rock Pro 4 fan that would work nicely once I get that in.

now, for an unrelated rant. it'll be a wall of text and pretty boring, so I'll just spoiler it. only read if you're interested in reading misery via Fedex.

I got the email for the shipping notice and all that last Saturday. the tracking info over at Fedex didn't update at all, but it's the weekend, so I figured it's either not been pick up yet or Fedex had not update yet. called on Monday and confirmed that their shipping department generated the shipping number but it was not picked up over the weekend. since I WFH and can't really answer the door when I'm working, and they require in person signature to release the package, I called Fedex customer service asking if they can make the delivery in the afternoon after I'm off work. customer service told me they'll put it in and even asked me for my phone number so "the driver can call me if need to". on Tuesday, I was still working and suddenly got a text telling me that the driver had already attempted delivery and left and will arrange for another try the next day. this was about more than 3 hours before what I was told the delivery time would be. so I called Fedex to ask about it, and was told that I can sign the door tag that was left on my door and the driver would release it when he comes around the next day. so I did that, but sure enough, Wednesday comes and the driver came and gone again without leaving the package, thou at least he tried ringing the doorbell this time. but like I said, I can't answer the door while working, so when I got another text about the driver made another attempt and left without leaving the package, I was PISSED. called Fedex again and asked for the supervisor right away. was told the package in fact CAN NOT be release unless sign in person, even thou the on first door tag the box next to the "sign to release" section was clearly checked by the driver and the customer service from the day before told me I can sign it to get it release. so I asked the supervisor to arrange for it to be hold at the station and pick up the next day instead of trying to delivery it again. the lady gave me an address which doesn't sound like the station they said it's at. I tried to confirm with her on the address and when would it be available for pick up, and she had already hung up on me. I assume it's because I was complaining very loudly on how terrible this overall experience is with Fedex. I called back and confirmed with the customer service again on the address, and it's the same as what I was given, so things seems to be in order. that should be it right? nope. the next morning I got a text saying the package is ready for pick up, so I drove over to the address they gave me, which is a little over 30 minutes away from my place. got there, waited for about 10~15 minutes for them to find my package, and was told by the nice folks that work on the ground that the package was not at that place but at a station 5 minutes or so from my home. so I waste another 30 minutes drove back in morning traffic, and during that drive I got a text notifying me that the package is "out for delivery", again. I don't know if that really is the case or not but there's not much I can do. I arrive at the station near my home and told them I'm there to pick up the package. the young lady who answered the call told me that the log shown that the package had been placed on a truck and since it's 8:30am at that time, she have to go check and see if it had left already. I had to remind myself that she didn't mess this up and just working there like any other folks on the ground so I won't yell at her in frustration. in any case, after waiting around a little, she brought the box out and gave it to me. I thanked her and went home with my new PC. like I said, it's just a rant on how terrible Fedex is that's all. the folks who work on the ground in the stations were nice, polite and all but their customer service department left a lot to be desire.

so, over the weekend, I brought the PC to my friend's place and have him help me swap out the CPU fan and the power supply. and by help me I mean he's doing all the work and I occasionally hand him something he needs since I'm terrible at these sorta things :messenger_tears_of_joy: . there was an issue with the motherboard and I ended up driving an hour to get another one. but once that's in, everything went pretty smooth. originally I was going to put 2 more sticks of RAM in and bump it up from 32 to 64, but after some stress test we decided that mixing 3200 and 3600 RAM is not really all that good, so I removed the 3200 that came with the system and left the 3600 I have in there. here's some pictures of the whole thing after it's done.

now, for the twist in this story. this might trigger some folks so I apologize ahead of time. like I mentioned before, I purchased and paid for a system with a RTX 3080. and initially after I got it, I didn't really look too closely and just did some downloading and run some test. but at the end of the 3DMark test, there's something that caught my eyes before I shut down the system. under GPU, it says RTX 3090. I thought surely it's just me seeing things. so I check the Device Manager to confirm, and sure enough it says RTX 3090 also. I even open up the case and check the card and even thou there's no marking or number that I can see, the small piece of sticker on it does say 3090. so it looks like I got a free upgrade.

Last edited:
so, over the weekend, I brought the PC to my friend's place and have him help me swap out the CPU fan and the power supply. and by help me I mean he's doing all the work and I occasionally hand him something he needs since I'm terrible at these sorta things :messenger_tears_of_joy: . there was an issue with the motherboard and I ended up driving an hour to get another one. but once that's in, everything went pretty smooth. originally I was going to put 2 more sticks of RAM in and bump it up from 32 to 64, but after some stress test we decided that mixing 3200 and 3600 RAM is not really all that good, so I removed the 3200 that came with the system and left the 3600 I have in there. here's some pictures of the whole thing after it's done.

now, for the twist in this story. this might trigger some folks so I apologize ahead of time. like I mentioned before, I purchased and paid for a system with a RTX 3080. and initially after I got it, I didn't really look too closely and just did some downloading and run some test. but at the end of the 3DMark test, there's something that caught my eyes before I shut down the system. under GPU, it says RTX 3090. I thought surely it's just me seeing things. so I check the Device Manager to confirm, and sure enough it says RTX 3090 also. I even open up the case and check the card and even thou there's no marking or number that I can see, the small piece of sticker on it does say 3090. so it looks like I got a free upgrade.

Why would it trigger anybody!? Everybody should be happy for you. I am!

That's amazing dude! Enjoy your awesome 3090, theoretically it should last you this whole generation.

Why would it trigger anybody!? Everybody should be happy for you. I am!

That's amazing dude! Enjoy your awesome 3090, theoretically it should last you this whole generation.

haha, thanks. and yeah, this should be able to last me for at least 7 to 10 years. was running a few games for test last night, include ones I can't run before like Doom Eternal. the graphics are just gorgeous and things are running butter smooth even in high tier settings. coming from a 780, the difference is just night and day. now I just need to put some time on the side to digging into these games. glad to be a member of the next gen finally.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Still on a 1080 over here. It works surprisingly well. Dont have to do much compromise at 1440p60. I'm not playing your assassins creeds or your cyberpunks mind you but it's still kicking ass in most titles. Gears 5 I played maxed and got a steady 60

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Still on a 1080 over here. It works surprisingly well. Dont have to do much compromise at 1440p60. I'm not playing your assassins creeds or your cyberpunks mind you but it's still kicking ass in most titles. Gears 5 I played maxed and got a steady 60

ya i had the same until i managed an upgrade. Played doom eternal at 1440p and about 90fps. my only mistake was selling the 1080 too early after getting the 3080, if i had kept it for like 6 more months i could have gotten a couple hundred more probably.

I'm still on a 1070 Ti, and it's serving me very well at 1440p.

Like you said, it's not like I'm playing the latest games on it -- not that I have a desire to, honestly, since modern game design is often not to my gaming tastes.

The only reason I want a 3000 series card is so that I can max out stuff running in Capcom's RE Engine games (RE2, RE3, DMC5, etc). The one modern game I do want to get, though, is Red Dead Redemption 2, since my nephew keeps telling me it's one of the most awesome things since sliced bread.

so, with the official announcement of the 3080TI and 3070TI, there might be another chance my fellow card seekers to get a card again. it'll still be hard but at least it's a chance. keep an eye out on the Nvidia sites and other ones. and maybe try and see if anyone can wipe up a script or something for you. if going through Best Buy, maybe create an account and fill in all the payment info and stuff first to make it as fast as possible to checkout. and of course, EVGA's waiting list would also be a great idea if you don't mind waiting for a while. good luck.

mango drank

Wow. A whopping 2 gb extra VRAM on the 3080 Ti vs the 3080. :messenger_neutral: Even the Ti versions of the older 1080 and 2080 had an extra 3 gb VRAM over their base versions. Nvidia is really trying to sell you the 3090 instead.

Xdrive05

The 3060 @ MSRP is the only one actually in my price range. Are those in particular any easier to come by these days? Or is it still hopeless for now?

The 3060 @ MSRP is the only one actually in my price range. Are those in particular any easier to come by these days? Or is it still hopeless for now?

sadly, as far as I know, the answer is no. if anything, 3060 is probably even more of an hot item due to it's price. best bet is to keep an eye out for Best Buy restock or get in line on EVGA's site.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just curious if anyone here managed to get an RTX 3080 Ti from the evga queue yet?
I'm 10 minutes away from getting a card (7:44) so I'm hoping to get an order email this week or next.

Top Bottom