• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Siri

Banned
No offence whatsoever, but the "narrative" in your post is a little bit weird considering that 3090 is on average (even according to Nvidia themselves) about 10% faster than a 3080.. But yes in some cases of course the difference will vary and perhaps HZD is one of them.

If you’re even considering buying a 3090 then clearly money isn’t an issue for you.

So, money aside, if you’re gaming at 4K with an RTX 2080 TI then those problematic games in which you’re down around 40-45 frames per second can be ‘fixed’ with a 3080 - but barely. Based purely on the benchmarks a 3090, however, will really put you over that hump.

I’m talking solely about problematic games at 4K here. When you’re struggling to reach that all-important 60 FPS mark then 7-10 frames is huge.

DeaDPo0L84

I knew the 8k gaming was going to be a gimmick and GN review was legit funny. I've always gamed at 1440p on PC and currently have a 2070s. Although the performance increase from the 3080 to the 3090 isn't drastic it does seem when I decide to jump to 4k the 3090 will be great in that respect.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
If you’re even considering buying a 3090 then clearly money isn’t an issue for you.

So, money aside, if you’re gaming at 4K with an RTX 2080 TI then those problematic games in which you’re down around 40-45 frames per second can be ‘fixed’ with a 3080 - but barely. Based purely on the benchmarks a 3090, however, will really put you over that hump.

I’m talking solely about problematic games at 4K here. When you’re struggling to reach that all-important 60 FPS mark then 7-10 frames is huge.

True that. Don't get me wrong I'm definitely not looking down on people who want to spend ~1000 USD more to get the absolute best, because I'm usually one of these guys myself and understand that driving force. I guess I just wanted to point out the amusing fact that even Nvidia now admits it's a niche card, at least when it comes to gaming performance value.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
The difference isnt impressive compared to RTX3080, but compared to 2080ti it's another story :p (55% average).

red-dead-redemption-2-3840-2160.png

80% more performance in Avengers compared to 2080ti.
Screenshot-20200924-170712-You-Tube.jpg

In "Control" RTX3090 with RTX on has similar fps like RTX2080ti without RTX. 3090 is definitely good upgrade for 2080ti owners.

control-rtx-3840-2160.png

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
I knew the 8k gaming was going to be a gimmick and GN review was legit funny. I've always gamed at 1440p on PC and currently have a 2070s. Although the performance increase from the 3080 to the 3090 isn't drastic it does seem when I decide to jump to 4k the 3090 will be great in that respect.
I'm sure RTX3090 will run many games at 8K with console like settings. Titan RTX could do it already and RTX3090 is 50% faster.

Iorv3th

I didn't get a 3080 yet, but those new drivers really screwed up frame rates on my 1080 for some games. Had to roll back.

Siri

Banned
True that. Don't get me wrong I'm definitely not looking down on people who want to spend ~1000 USD more to get the absolute best, because I'm usually one of these guys myself and understand that driving force. I guess I just wanted to point out the amusing fact that even Nvidia now admits it's a niche card, at least when it comes to gaming performance value.

If I didn’t own an RTX 2080 TI, but, say, a GTX 1080, then I’d want the 3080, and wouldn’t even consider a 3090 - but I already have this nice 2080 TI in my case.

Only the 3090 will get me past 60 FPS in the games that my 2080 TI is really struggling with. If I do buy a 3080 it will only because of HDMI 2.1.

It would have been a lot easier if there had been a 3080 TI, quite frankly.

rofif

Banned
Sold my rtx 2070 msi armor 8g (not super) for 395usd. That a good deal or not ?
I just need to sell my quest and I am golden... with no vr and no gpu... and no 3080 in stock never again probably. And I don't have any shit gpu to pun there for time being lol

DeaDPo0L84

I'm not fond of the cable convertor that comes with the fe cards. Is there a better looking cable that will work with both the 3080/3090? I have a 750w evga supernova g3 psu if that matters.

ITsameBS

Neo Member
Got up at 530am PST for the 3090, refreshed the Nvidia website at 6am immediately saw Sold Out on the Nvidia website, 15 minutes of refreshing I got a Add to Cart button, selected Check Out and it just froze and eventually went back to the website on its own without anything in the cart.

Started to watch the YT reviews while refreshing and came to the conclusion to hold off and wait for a 3080. Thanks Nvidia you are going to save me money but in return you just lost a 3090 sale. Pretty sure I am not the only one with this experience.

llien

On the other hand, 3090 is a Titan class card, according to Huang himself.
Turing Titan costs $2500 and barely beats 2080Ti.

3090 is (relatively) dirt cheap, it pwns 2080Ti and is 1.5-2 times more effective at heating your room, as a nice bonus. Unlike 2080Ti it also can use tiny new proprietary power connector, making cable management easier than ever.

Senua

Gold Member
Steve just shat on all the tech youtubers that sucks Nvidia's dick

This video is great and I fucking love Steve!!!

GN is king. Steve my boi

At this point it seems criminally irrational not to wait until all reviews / GPU models are out and priced correctly. So much stuff going on since last thursday. 3080s having problems, LG OLEDs not working as advertised, 3090 perf increase disappointing, Big Navi probably quite competitive given AMDs recent history and so on.
Rationality is not common among tech enthusiasts lol

Last edited:
At this point it seems criminally irrational not to wait until all reviews / GPU models are out and priced correctly. So much stuff going on since last thursday. 3080s having problems, LG OLEDs not working as advertised, 3090 perf increase disappointing, Big Navi probably quite competitive given AMDs recent history and so on.
It's not that the performance is disappointing. You go back a week on this thread and see that some of us were saying that we weren't expecting the card to be more than 10%-15% at best and that's exactly how it played out more or less. It's that people's expectations were too high and that falls solely on the shoulders on Nvidia and how they marketed the thing. IF you have been in the game a while, you'd know exactly what to expect from a Ti/Titan/90 level card compared to the xx80 card. It's been like this for years with only a few outliers with better performance.

Welp, said fuck it an bought a EVGA 2080 Super. Once it arrives I'll use the step up program to a 3090. I'm over looking at this unfinished build and want it up and running now.

Are you sure you can step that up? I've only used the step up program twice, but I could have swore you only step up to something higher in the same series, not into a completely different series. So, 2080---->2080ti, not 2080ti---->3080. I could be wrong, but I could have swore that's how it worked when I did it.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Tbh does it even matter how the cards do? They're gonna be constantly sold out anyway. I hate these stupid stock shortages.

Meh.

Welp, said fuck it an bought a EVGA 2080 Super. Once it arrives I'll use the step up program to a 3090. I'm over looking at this unfinished build and want it up and running now.

Make sure it's an authorised reseller. Was looking at it last night too but that's an important caveat.

Last edited:
Tbh does it even matter how the cards do? They're gonna be constantly sold out anyway. I hate these stupid stock shortages.

Meh.

Make sure it's an authorised reseller. Was looking at it last night too but that's an important caveat.

I feel ya. I feel like I'm one of the original guard from the beginning of this thread that has yet to get one. I think though that if I stay vigilant enough I'll secure one within the week.

GHG

Gold Member

Verify that's actually possible with EVGA before you do that.

baphomet

Verify that's actually possible with EVGA before you do that.
100% sure

Yup, sold and shipped by Newegg. Good looking out though.

Are you sure you can step that up? I've only used the step up program twice, but I could have swore you only step up to something higher in the same series, not into a completely different series. So, 2080---->2080ti, not 2080ti---->3080. I could be wrong, but I could have swore that's how it worked when I did it.
Nope, you can step up to anything they offer in the Step Up Program as long as it's within the 90 days (From an authorized dealer, and also do the warranty info within 14 days of purchase).

The Linus review was just as informative as the Jesus one. Is this Jesus guy the big new schwep?
200.webp

How dare you compare that little twerp Linus to Tech Jesus.

Nope, you can step up to anything they offer in the Step Up Program as long as it's within the 90 days (From an authorized dealer, and also do the warranty info within 14 days of purchase).

Good to know. I don't know why I was under the impression that it wasn't the case. Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
looks like there are some 3090 cards in stock in the store nearby. and by nearby, I mean an hour drive away. wondering if I should go try my hands on getting those after work in 4 hours (if there's still any left) even thou I just want a 3080.

duhmetree

I'll wait on the 3080ftw3. I'm in no rush, I would like it before November though for Cyberpunk.

Playing Destiny as well at 1440p with a 1080ti. The extra boost would be nice to maintain 165fps.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Nvidia needs to raise the prices for these cards... and just keep raising them until there’s almost no demand... and then gradually start lowering the prices. Let the market sort this out.

Top Bottom