• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA to release GeForce Titan

Momentary

Banned
So is the Titan the GTX 780 essentially? Or is it the Titan, within its own naming convention and the GTX 780 is coming out down the line?

Titan is it's own thing. 700 series will be released in the 4th quarter of 2013 and probably pushing Maxwell to a 2015 release.

From what I've been reading the new line of single GPUs in the 700 and 8000 series won't be as powerful as the titan. The Dual GPU cards from those series will be more powerful though.

COME ON NVIDIA! Please give me a release date.

FACE

Banned

iJbqClMbz42rA.gif

To me it sounds like the Titan is a sort-of show project between 6xx and 7xx, based on their render GPUs, so it'll probably compete with even the best single 7xx.

Like an early 7xx high-end preview at a premium price

Apparently it's supposed to be out this month, so probably not.

Titan is it's own thing. 700 series will be released in the 4th quarter of 2013 and probably pushing Maxwell to a 2015 release.

From what I've been reading the new line of single GPUs in the 700 and 8000 series won't be as powerful as the titan. The Dual GPU cards from those series will be more powerful though.

Thanks guys.

Trying to convince myself that I can wait until the end of the year. I have a GTX 580 so it's hardly as though I'm suffering. But hearing of new GPUs makes one's fingers twitch.

Mononoke

Banned
Count me in.

Like a fool, I threw my money at a 2gb GTX 680 SLI set up. And because I game at 2560x1600p, my 2gb memory is not cutting it. I really wish I would have just gotten two 4gb 670's initially.

I hope this doesn't come out at the end of Feb though. Had to pay for Coachella + Comic Con this month.

I could still be tempted by Titan. Just worried the GTX780 might pop up later this year and spank it for considerably less money.
680 Titan will probably beat the 780 easily in performance. Since Nvidia uses x90 for dual gpu cards and the rest of the numbers are reserved. Titan x80 and Titan x90 will probably be the highest end cards from now on.

Appleman

Thanks guys.

Trying to convince myself that I can wait until the end of the year. I have a GTX 580 so it's hardly as though I'm suffering. But hearing of new GPUs makes one's fingers twitch.

I'm in the same boat, especially since I started gaming at x1600 after I bought mine and <2GB isn't really cutting it.... Definitely wish I'd bought the 3GB version or had waited for the 680...

twisted89

I'm in the same boat, especially since I started gaming at x1600 after I bought mine and <2GB isn't really cutting it.... Definitely wish I'd bought the 3GB version or had waited for the 680...

Or maybe the 7970 6gb ghz edition? I decided it was worth the cost for future proofing! Should handle 4k video too.

Mononoke

Banned
Or maybe the 7970 6gb ghz edition? I decided it was worth the cost for future proofing! Should handle 4k video too.

I've considered switching back to AMD. But generally, I've found that the Kepler GPU's: I. Run cooler. II. Less power consumption.

And (this is purely subjective), but I like the Nvidia control panel more, and think their driver updates are more timely, and more consistent. I gamed on AMD cards for 3 years, and have been gaming on Nvidia cards for 2 years (since the 680).

But in terms of price and performance, you are right. You could get two 6gb models of that for the price of a Titan + $300 change. Save yourself close to $600 (terrible at math, so someone slap me if I'm off). It's really tempting.

Edit: titan will be 899+ 899, so 1,800 vs 540 + 540 = 1,080. So you would save closer 800 lol

DocSeuss

I wasn't even going to sell my 680's.

Maybe I'll just give them away to someone for free.

How can people afford to do this? Here I am, trying to figure out how in the hell to budget a new graphics card to replace my aging 260, when I've got to worry about paying for a new set of tires, a replacement car part, keeping a roof over my head, groceries, medical bills, and school.

What I would do for a decent income.

680 Titan will probably beat the 780 easily in performance. Since Nvidia uses x90 for dual gpu cards and the rest of the numbers are reserved. Titan x80 and Titan x90 will probably be the highest end cards from now on.

Yes - it all comes down to transistor count - 780 will use same 28nm process as 680 so the gains at most will be in gtx 480->580 area (probably less since 480 was restricted by bad heat problems)

Mononoke

Banned
How can people afford to do this? Here I am, trying to figure out how in the hell to budget a new graphics card to replace my aging 260, when I've got to worry about paying for a new set of tires, a replacement car part, keeping a roof over my head, groceries, medical bills, and school.

What I would do for a decent income.

That post was douchey, I apologize.

I was originally going to say something else, but lost my train of thought. Given the time this is coming out, I'll probably have to sell my cards. I was going to save up for this (was expecting April-July release).

when did nvidia say the 700 series is coming at the end of the year? I thought it was getting released around April

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't particularly like nvidia but the concept behind this card is so awesome... too bad i will probably stick with my 4830 for a loooong time :(

Jason2slow

Neo Member

Is this confirmed? I've read elsewhere that the 700 series will be released in march of this year?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I would rather buy a PS4 & 720 for that price.

If I can afford/justify buying a ps4 and 720 then I'm sure I can rationalize bundling in a geforce titan as well. What I'm trying to get at is that if you only have $899 on your account then I'm sure gpus and consoles won't take precedence over other stuff.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Holy shit, that's expensive. I'm still truckin' along with a 5850. That was a pretty good value at the time.

What is supposed to be the good value/performance card this time around?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Holy shit, that's expensive. I'm still truckin' along with a 5850. That was a pretty good value at the time.

What is supposed to be the good value/performance card this time around?

I think the 'Ti' cards are still top of the line with regards to price/performance, so perhaps the 660 ti ?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think the 'Ti' cards are still top of the line with regards to price/performance, so perhaps the 660 ti ?

Hm, yeah that one seems like a pretty decent value. Makes me wonder if I should upgrade sooner or later. The only thing that's on the horizon is SimCity, and my setup ran the beta just fine.

Arucardo

Count me in.

Like a fool, I threw my money at a 2gb GTX 680 SLI set up. And because I game at 2560x1600p, my 2gb memory is not cutting it. I really wish I would have just gotten two 4gb 670's initially.

I hope this doesn't come out at the end of Feb though. Had to pay for Coachella + Comic Con this month.

No, just no. The extra 2gb wouldn't practically make any difference. Even at those resolutions the performance of the 670 is almost identical between the 2gb and 4gb cards (with SLI too)

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/14/asus_geforce_gtx_670_directcu_ii_4gb_sli_review/1

They have comparisons of the 2GB vs 4GB models too and quite frankly it's a waste of money. I always see people recommending the card with more ram but right now the people buying these high end cards end up buying a newer card by the time the extra ram actually starts to count, if it ever will that is. 2GB cards won't be running out of ram any time soon.

I don't know of many situations where you wouldn't be CPU bottlenecked 95% of the time with this GPU. Guess we'll see when the reviews start rolling in.

Top Bottom