• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA to release GeForce Titan

mkenyon

Banned
120Hz, always and forever.

This fella means I get to do that in more games with graphics turned up without taking that one frame of input lag from SLI.

Deadstar

It looks great. I'm going to wait until these hit the market and then all other cards get dropped in price. Right now I've got a GTX 570 and it is good for the most part but I can't always crank everything full and have a solid 60+ framerate.

mkenyon

Banned
It looks great. I'm going to wait until these hit the market and then all other cards get dropped in price. Right now I've got a GTX 570 and it is good for the most part but I can't always crank everything full and have a solid 60+ framerate.
Not going to happen. Maybe in the used market, but definitely not for MSRP of the other cards.

This isn't a new generation, and even then, it takes about 6 months after a new gen releases to have any meaningful price drop.

FACE

Banned
Take my damn money already, release 'em!

i2WVMUS55t5a9.gif

Replace the duck's head with NVIDIA's logo.

Im becoming less and less convinced with the "2 gb is enough" arguement with each passing day.

It's not enough. I'd recommend that anyone who isn't dealing with slideshows right now wait for the next generation of cards. they'll likely be 3GB minimum, and you'll be in much better position to enjoy the games that are bound to show up over the next 2 years.

Only problem is that there's currently no game on the market that will make effective use of so much power - unless you've got a a dual or triple monitor setup. Why not wait a year and get something better for less money?

I can easily afford this too, I've got a bad case of gearlust in general, but still ... since I'm gaming on a 1080p HDTV I won't see much difference when I'm already getting more than 60fps in every game with a GTX 680.

Yeah, you're right. And I have a bad case of gearlust, that's the point.

Waiting another year is the right thing to do.

I'm gaming at 1080p too, even though more often than not it is 720p (projector, sometimes in 3D) or 1050p on my desktop. My gtx480 has been rarely put to the test (I can still play all games in 3D at a better framerate than any console game with an absurd amount of AA).

I wanted to gift my Oculus Rift devkit a new card xD

I'm gaming at 1080p too, even though more often than not it is 720p (projector, sometimes in 3D) or 1050p on my desktop. My gtx480 has been rarely put to the test (I can still play all games in 3D at a better framerate than any console game with an absurd amount of AA).

Don't be ridiculous. If you're only gaming at 1080p (not 120hz 3D or triple-monitors), this is a moronic purchase.

Lol, 1080p and 900 USD card.

Don't waste money just to sound cool on an internet gaming board.

grendelrt

Lol, 1080p and 900 USD card.

Don't waste money just to sound cool on an internet gaming board.

What is up with this mentality, just because a game wouldnt push it right this second at 1080p doesnt mean upcoming games would not. Crysis 3 requires a 690 to max, so who is to say upcoming games wont push this card at 1080p in the next six months. When I bought my 5970 people said the same crap, and its lasted 3 years in my current rig, but now it stumbles on lots of games at 1080p.

What is up with this mentality, just because a game wouldnt push it right this second at 1080p doesnt mean upcoming games would not. Crysis 3 requires a 690 to max, so who is to say upcoming games wont push this card at 1080p in the next six months. When I bought my 5970 people said the same crap, and its lasted 3 years in my current rig, but now it stumbles on lots of games at 1080p.

This thing will not push Crysis 3 to max anyway, it's slower than a 690 and clearly overpriced, it may be interesting in a SLI configuration (not his case).
He's better waiting the new cards or using that money for a better monitor/dual 680.

Lulubop

This thing will not push Crysis 3 to max anyway, it's slower than a 690 and clearly overpriced, it may be interesting in a SLI configuration (not his case).
He's better waiting the new cards or using that money for a better monitor/dual 680.

It will max out Crysis 3 quite easily, in any case you shouldn't concern yourself on what he cares to purchase.

It will max out Crysis 3 quite easily, in any case you shouldn't concern yourself on what he cares to purchase.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't provide good advice. This would be a fucking moronic purchase for anyone just gaming on a regular 1080p display. There are no 2 ways about it. He could get a 660Ti *right now* for his simple 1080p setup, then get something more powerful than the Titan a year and a half from now when there are games that could actually leverage the power, while spending less money in total.

There are specific use cases where this purchase makes sense. His is not one of them. What is the value of a discussion board if not to discuss pros and cons, perspectives and to offer advice? If discussion ended at "oh hey that's cool!" it serves no purpose at all but some weird form of masturbation. Fuck a circle jerk; I want people to pull me off the ledge if I'm about to do something fucking stupid when there are better options for me available that make more sense for my setup or goals and to point me in the right direction.

I have a GTX 480 (which has 480 CUDA cores) and I like to do a lot of video editing, and Adobe Premiere CS5/CS6 take very good advantage of those CUDA cores to speed up rendering and scrubbing.

Does anyone here know if the Titan's 2688 CUDA cores can all be used by Premiere CS5/CS6, or does that program have a cap on how many CUDA cores it can utilize for scrubbing/rendering? I want to imagine nearly instant renders of my scenes with the Titan.

Perkel

Banned
Doesn't mean we shouldn't provide good advice. This would be a fucking moronic purchase for anyone just gaming on a regular 1080p display. There are no 2 ways about it. He could get a 660Ti *right now* for his simple 1080p setup, then get something more powerful than the Titan a year and a half from now when there are games that could actually leverage the power, while spending less money in total.

There are specific use cases where this purchase makes sense. His is not one of them. What is the value of a discussion board if not to discuss pros and cons, perspectives and to offer advice? If discussion ended at "oh hey that's cool!" it serves no purpose at all. Fuck a circle jerk; I want people to pull me off the ledge if I'm about to do something fucking stupid when there are better options for me available that make more sense for my setup or goals.

His money not yours. Repeat with me again. Also some people want to play games above 60FPS especially games like C3. Also techdemos. Not only gamers want to have better GFX.

I think there will be a lot of people buying it just to test new mark2013.

I have a gtx680 and I play the beta at 1080p@max settings with 4x AA

The game is smooth as butter....

You don't need more than a GTX680 to max Crysis 3 at 1080p

His money not yours. Repeat with me again.

As if I don't know that? That's my advice to him. If you don't like it...I don't really give a shit, because I wasn't offering it to you. You can go fly a fucking kite, but the truth of the matter is that it would be a waste of his money for his setup, no more no less.

You don't even have a point to argue other than the sake of arguing itself. Herp derp. Letting someone spend a grand on a part that won't give him a better experience on his rig is irresponsible as someone who knows better in the first place. But maybe you don't know any better either. Either way, I know for damn sure who I wouldn't go to for advice. If I need a "yes man", however, you'll be the first person I PM.

Metal-Geo

I have a GTX 480 (which has 480 CUDA cores) and I like to do a lot of video editing, and Adobe Premiere CS5/CS6 take very good advantage of those CUDA cores to speed up rendering and scrubbing.

Does anyone here know if the Titan's 2688 CUDA cores can all be used by Premiere CS5/CS6, or does that program have a cap on how many CUDA cores it can utilize for scrubbing/rendering? I want to imagine nearly instant renders of my scenes with the Titan.
Can't say I've ever heard of (rendering) software with a fixed maximum GPU core support. I don't think that's something to worry about. ;)

Since when was 1080p not enough?

PCs are always pushing the boundaries, one way or another. Still remember back in the day maybe 10 years ago visiting the widescreen gaming forums to try to find hacks to force non-widescreen games to 1680 * 1050 and 1920 * 1200

mkenyon

Banned
]This thing will not push Crysis 3 to max anyway, it's slower than a 690 and clearly overpriced[/B], it may be interesting in a SLI configuration (not his case).
You've seen the reviews already!? Please do share your sources for this amazing data!
Doesn't mean we shouldn't provide good advice. This would be a fucking moronic purchase for anyone just gaming on a regular 1080p display.
Some people like playing with the newest hardware to just play with it. Buying PC parts doesn't *always* have to be about price:performance. Value is incredibly subjective, and because someone wants something for X reason doesn't mean that it's moronic.

You're right though, if you are aiming for 60hz 1080P, it serves no *gaming* purpose. The compute power could be huge for rendering videos, the benchmark capability could be outstanding, and the amount of hits you get to a build log in order to get more free parts increases dramatically.

16.7ms of input lag on top of your display and USB is unacceptable to me for any sort of fast paced shooter. Gimmie dat 120hz/8.3ms.
Since when was 1080p not enough?
Having low frame latency has always been a priority for enthusiasts. Shit, back in the days of Quake and Q3A, you always wanted to get your frames above 120. 16.7ms/60FPS used to be the "does the game run well?" answer. It was the baseline of what was acceptable. Only in the last 8 years has this regressed to optimal, which still bewilders me.

grendelrt

Its a good thing Crysis 3 is the last PC game that will ever push graphics then and there is no next gen of consoles around the corner. The point was, if Crysis 3 is close, then there is probably something around the corner that will take advantage of the power, some people also dont buy cards just to upgrade 6 months later.

Don't be ridiculous. If you're only gaming at 1080p (not 120hz 3D or triple-monitors), this is a moronic purchase.

I am playing at 120hz 3D, though. And I do have three monitors, even though I don't use them for gaming.

I was just saying I want to buy it even though I know I don't need it. What's so bad about it?

Dennis is right xD

And jokes aside, I already said that waiting one more year is the right thing to do. No need to get salty.

Metal-Geo

I can't max out Crysis 3 on my 690 at 2560 x 1440. I need TWO Titans!
Huh? Are you using the beta driver? And making sure SLI works? I got horrible horrible framerates with my GTX 690 until I found out it wasn't using SLI. After some fiddling in Nvidia inspector I'm running the beta at 2560x1600, very high and 1xSMAA with a whopping 60fps. :)

ZaCH3000

I'd say we're like years away before a developer targets the performance of a Titan with their game.

I'd give it two years. There are probably developers targeting or at the very least researching ways to achieve efficient and effective ways to reach Titan levels of performance.

angelfly

Waiting a bit to see real world performance and reviews from users.

I thought about waiting for benchmarks but considering the rumor about the Nvidia and AMD delaying their next set of cards (AMD confirmed their delay) I think these are going to be sold out quickly.

Zeth

I wouldn't mind one for gaming at 1080P. Downsample from 3200x1800 in super-demanding games and enjoy incredible image quality. I'm personally trying to convince myself to hang on to my 660Ti until I can get more than a 680 for the current price of a 680. Hope it doesn't take until Q4.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'd be concerned about putting down this much cash so close to a new console generation. The prices on high end GPUs typically drop when the performance they offer is no longer considered high end.

Azzurri

I'd be concerned about putting down this much cash so close to a new console generation. The prices on high end GPUs typically drop when the performance they offer is no longer considered high end.

The console power will not be as nearly as powerful as this card. SO I doubt it will drop.

Top Bottom