• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NWR: Wii U's Compared to GameCube, Wii (Spoiler: It's ugly)

Blues1990

I'm really curious to see how the numbers pan out for the other two systems once they're the same age. They definitely are selling better now at least, but this disparity is just mind blowing. Has Nintendo seriously misstepped THAT badly, is it reflective of the current state of the industry/economy, or a mix of both?

It's a multitude of factors, from the structure of Nintendo's Online eShop being more like Blackgate than iTunes, designing a product that is unappealing to the general public, to the lack of interest in Nintendo's available software line-up & (relatively speaking) archaic architecture & toxic relationship towards most 2nd & 3rd Party Developers. But the biggest strike is that Nintendo realizing that it cannot maintain a closed-garden ecosystem. Whenever they like it or not, they had created a lot of their own problems, and even if they do everything to make the system more appealing, it's over for the system. Nintendo will still continue to support it through it's run, and they might be able to break even in the end, but there isn't anything they can do in the present to cater towards two distinct groups who play video games. They can prepare for what's to come, but I honestly don't know how they will be able to get out of this mess.

Taker666

That depends on whether or not the consumer market is already aware of the Wii U and just doesn't find it to be an appealing product.

I can see that being true at first with the initial confusion around the Wii U but after Mario 3D World not gaining traction for sale increase numbers, throwing that $50,000,000 towards more advertisements does not seem like a better alternative compared to making the console price more appealing to consumers.

But perhaps Mario Kart 8 can make a difference.

I don't currently think a Wii U at $99 would be appealing to consumers at present. Marketing, branding, hype and the right software is what's needed to sell it...a low pricepoint will do little.

You named a half dozen games. That's not much. At all.

Also being a fan of Nintendo games shouldn't require the understanding of a companies inability to get with the times. It's dumbfounding that Pikmin, Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong TF do not have an Online functionality.

Also your list includes a tired, boring 2D sidescroller. I can't be less interested in that game. Monster Hunter is for a pretty limited audience and it's not an exclusive game to the console, either is Rayman.

So you've got about 5 first party games, outside of W101 all are sequels, some are tired and none have online support. What great software :/

It's insulting that none of these really sell the systems functionality as to why I need the screen on the controller. Also lets not forget Donkey Kong. The fucking controller does nothing, the screen is literally off.

Also Zombi U is not a good game, it was an okay launch title at best.

Stop this Nintendo fanboy BS i see on here where we list a handful of games and pretend that those interested just don't get it.

We get it, we all do. Many of us would love to Play 3D world, DKTF and Pikmin easily the best and most attractive games on the system. The problem is there has yet to be more than a few games released, very far between one another.

Beyond this problem, I still am not sold on the controller as a necessity when only one player can sue it, and it hasn't changed the experience. The problem isn't the Mainstream market. The problem is Nintendo has yet to show us why anyone would want to drop 300$ on something they won't use more than a handful of times a year during the few new releases.

I'm not going to deny that some of the titles like Pikmin can have a limited appeal, but boring 2D sidescrollers? Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is AMAZING, and I didn't even want to play it at first, I became a believer when I played the first level, what a game. I haven't even played Rayman and Mario/Luigi U because just as you, I'm not big with 2D sidescrollers, but I've heard that they are pretty good.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate only has online on the Wii U and I'm surprised at how I never experience lag or any trouble, the game is fantastic and I'm still not done with it after around 200 hours of playing it.

It's great software imo, I don't really care if they are sequels as they are so good and aren't just copy paste of old games, Pikmin 3 blew my fucking mind and I thought 3D Land was going to be a poor man's Galaxy, I was so wrong.

I don't really feel like debating much, I agree that Nintendo has not shown a compelling use of the screen even if I love Off TV play and they could use some more online games(which don't matter for me but I know they do for others).

Hugstable

Banned
You named a half dozen games. That's not much. At all.

Also being a fan of Nintendo games shouldn't require the understanding of a companies inability to get with the times. It's dumbfounding that Pikmin, Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong TF do not have an Online functionality.

Also your list includes a tired, boring 2D sidescroller. I can't be less interested in that game. Monster Hunter is for a pretty limited audience and it's not an exclusive game to the console, either is Rayman.

So you've got about 5 first party games, outside of W101 all are sequels, some are tired and none have online support. What great software :/

It's insulting that none of these really sell the systems functionality as to why I need the screen on the controller. Also lets not forget Donkey Kong. The fucking controller does nothing, the screen is literally off.

Also Zombi U is not a good game, it was an okay launch title at best.

Stop this Nintendo fanboy BS i see on here where we list a handful of games and pretend that those interested just don't get it.

We get it, we all do. Many of us would love to Play 3D world, DKTF and Pikmin easily the best and most attractive games on the system. The problem is there has yet to be more than a few games released, very far between one another.

Beyond this problem, I still am not sold on the controller as a necessity when only one player can sue it, and it hasn't changed the experience. The problem isn't the Mainstream market. The problem is Nintendo has yet to show us why anyone would want to drop 300$ on something they won't use more than a handful of times a year during the few new releases.

You say you don't even own the system and yet you go on to bash all the games without really having even played them. Why does every game need to have online these days? Are people that interested in online? Most of the time I hear groaning about tacked on multiplayer games hurting the single player campaign. Have you actually played ZombiU to claim it's outright bad or are you just play gamespot scores. All because a system sells bad doesn't mean the games that are on it are outright crap.

Well, maybe you shouldn't buy it. Or wait 2-3 years until all the games are out.

I see this on GAF a lot and it's confusing to me. If you're already complaining about your future enjoyment of a product that you don't own yet, then you probably shouldn't get it, especially when it's hundreds of dollars of an investment. Since only one game appeals to you. That way we don't end up with regretful LTTP threads.

I know the Wii U is garbage in a lot of ways. I also knew I'd enjoy it a lot. So I got one.

Not to be too critical, but I see this a lot and it's weird to me. Wii U will probably be cheap in a couple of years and there will be a better picture of the software. Maybe with more online games.

I have been waiting, the thing is Nintendo is asking us to wait far longer than before.

Pay attention to what is going on here. Look at the software support. Nintendo is falling behind themselves. They don't have the games to compel owners, compare it to Wii. They had far more great games 1st and 3rd party in the same time period. There is no excuse.

Have you played any of these games? You said you don't own the console, correct? I didn't expect to like Pikmin 3 or SM3DW that much and I was proven wrong. Numerous people swear by ZombiU. Have you played it?

As others have said, if you're not interested, don't buy it. But don't try to pass off all the games as objectively average/bad, especially if you haven't or have barely played most/all of them. That's all.

I not only have played most of these games, moinus MHU ( would call my time very short so I won't even count it.) but I love them.

The problem is there are so few. I'm not passing them off as bad, I said 3 in particular I really want to own and play but that's not enough when there are no more games coming out.

There's only two games I can actually name coming out between now and winter that look good. Mario kart U and Smash. That's it.

Stop lying to yourselves. Nintendo is simply NOT supporting the console in software, and the third parties are doing the same.

Just look at what the Wii had in the same amount of time. From Launch to the end of Apr 2008. 18 months.

Wii Sports
Twilight Princess
Red Steel
Excite Truck
Elebits
Wario Ware
Wii Play
SSX Blur
Cooking mama
Super Paper Mario
Mario party 8
Big Brain Academy
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Mario Strikers
Metroid Prime 3
Zack & Wiki
Battalion Wars 2
Lego Star Wars
Super Mario Galaxy
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Trauma Center: New Blood
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
Endless Ocean
No More Heroes
Bomberman Land
Super Smash bros. Brawl
Okami
Mario Kart Wii

Look at that list, and tell me how the Wii U stacks up and compares. Then tell me that the problem with the Wii U isn't availability of great new games. You can't because it's just not true. A few incredible games isn't enough, it never was. There was always at least something else on the way with previous nintendo consoles, and far more available.

So the Wii U is selling at about half the rate of the Gamecube in the US? And from the sounds of things the situation might be even worse in other markets?

Bad... very very bad.

idlewild_

Weren't Mario Kart and Smash both released at this point for Gamecube and Wii?

GC:
Smash yes, came out a couple weeks after launch
MK no, came out holiday 2003

Wii:
smash yes, equivalent month would have been this March
MK sort of, equivalent month would be this month

I just now realized that Brawl and MKWii came out like 1.5 months apart from each other in the US, crazy.

Not surprised. I remember having a good amount of friends with Gamecubes, and the people that didn't own one at least knew what the hell they were! I have not once ever met someone that had any idea what I was talking about when I mentioned my Wii U. The marketing for the system was just freaking abysmal. Though I may have fallen moreso in the target audience when the Gamecube came out, it's still crazy that not a single person I know has ever looked at me with anything but confusion when I mention my Wii U. And some of these people love Nintendo!

It really is a bummer, I freaking love the console (though the VC is frustrating to say the least). When it's all said and done, I wont ever regret my purchase. 3D World alone is enough to justify buying a used Wii U on craigslist, not to mention WW HD, Earthbound (which costs more than 1/3 of the price of the console for SNES), upcoming Smash, MK 8, etc.

EDIT: Holy shit, just looked up Earthbound on Amazon and Ebay. Why has the price has dramatically risen since it was rereleased!? Might be a good time to sell my cart...

tengiants

I'm not going to deny that some of the titles like Pikmin can have a limited appeal, but boring 2D sidescrollers? Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is AMAZING, and I didn't even want to play it at first, I became a believer when I played the first level, what a game.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate only has online on the Wii U and I'm surprised at how I never experience lag or any trouble, the game is fantastic and I'm still not done with it after around 200 hours of playing it.

It's great software imo, I don't really care if they are sequels as they are so good and aren't just copy paste of old games, Pikmin 3 blew my fucking mind and I thought 3D Land was going to be a poor man's Galaxy, I was so wrong.

I don't really feel like debating much, I agree that Nintendo has not shown a compelling use of the screen even if I love Off TV play and they could use some more online games(which don't matter for me but I know they do for others).

There's no convincing much of GAF that the Wii U is a great console. There's a lot of people who work in the industry here that have monetary interests in pushing western games. Wii U is on visitor turf here and has to lose, even if Nintendo is playing another game entirely.

I'm not going to deny that some of the titles like Pikmin can have a limited appeal, but boring 2D sidescrollers? Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is AMAZING, and I didn't even want to play it at first, I became a believer when I played the first level, what a game.

I called NSMW U boring. it's been done so many times, there is nothing compelling about that game anymore. It's very very tired.

DKCTF was almost enough to get me to buy the damn thing. if they had a bundle available with DK I would own it. I never said it was bad, I said it was one of the few games worth getting because it's great.

Look at the list I posted. There is a huge glaring software problem that you just can not ignore with the Wii U.

You say you don't even own the system and yet you go on to bash all the games without really having even played them. Why does every game need to have online these days? Are people that interested in online? Most of the time I hear groaning about tacked on multiplayer games hurting the single player campaign. Have you actually played ZombiU to claim it's outright bad or are you just play gamespot scores. All because a system sells bad doesn't mean the games that are on it are outright crap.

Why assume I have yet to play them? you're wrong.

i also did not bash on all the games. I called out the fact that two of them are not console exclusive, which matters when you only have half a dozen to rattle off after 18 months.

Second are you delirious. Yes, people are interested in Online. Where have you been?

The only game I even "bashed" was NSMW U because it's a dull tired concept that they did multiple times on 3 consoles in a short period of time. It is in no way a system seller. It's a quick game they could pump out because they had so little software to show for the system to begin with.

KoopaTheCasual

Uh why should they hold back from moving on for a fanbase that isn't significant enough to keep the console afloat. Its time to let go.
6 million of their really diehard core base is definitely nothing to scoff at. They need to make sure those same people will always be there day one to invest

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
There's no convincing much of GAF that the Wii U is a great console. There's a lot of people who work in the industry here that have monetary interests in pushing western games. Wii U is on visitor turf here and has to lose, even if Nintendo is playing another game entirely.

5e6116694147369871eda4b177afec9ad0dce249c30070c34952716e7d639098.jpg

Stop killing the Wii U GAF!

Thought you meant the system itself was ugly lol

On topic, quite depressing honestly, it's much better of a system then most make it out to be

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Hey all. I'm the dude who wrote this article. Entirely our fault on having the 2004 GameCube numbers (14.5 million) instead of the 2003 (9.5 million). Thanks for being one of the many who pointed it out. It was a stupid, dumb mistake.

However, it doesn't change the way I see things or how badly the Wii U is doing compared to the GameCube that much.

Thanks for updating the article at least. I still hate to see misinformation. The Wii U is doing worse than the GC and everyone knew that. 2/3rds of the GC is much better than less than half you know...

I called NSMW U boring. it's been done so many times, there is nothing compelling about that game anymore. It's very very tired.

DKCTF was almost enough to get me to buy the damn thing. if they had a bundle available with DK I would own it. I never said it was bad, I said it was one of the few games worth getting because it's great.

Look at the list I posted. There is a huge glaring software problem that you just can not ignore with the Wii U.

Why assume I have yet to play them? you're wrong.

i also did not bash on all the games. I called out the fact that two of them are not console exclusive, which matters when you only have half a dozen to rattle off after 18 months.

Second are you delirious. Yes, people are interested in Online. Where have you been?

The only game I even "bashed" was NSMW U because it's a dull tired concept that they did multiple times on 3 consoles in a short period of time. It is in no way a system seller. It's a quick game they could pump out because they had so little software to show for the system to begin with.

NSMBU topped SMB3 and SMW for me, it's the best 2D Mario. I didn't think nearly as highly of the previous entries. They did a great job with NSMBU.

irishcow

I assume he meant "worth playing" and not shovelware. The 3D0 also had more than 20 games, but not more than 20 anyone wanted to bother with.

I own a wii u so I would love to know the twenty games they are talking about. Nothing multiplatform please I already own those on pc.

I have to say... what? GAF is very Eastern-minded if anything. The front page at any given time has half a dozen links about jRPG's with another half dozen about Square games. The front page as I right this has about 1/3 of the topics centered around Eastern titles, with a majority of those being about Nintendo. The only major Western titles I see are Diablo 3, Dragon Age, and Infamous--with a few others sporadically mentioned but those 3 are the ones with staying power.

6 million of their really diehard core base is definitely nothing to scoff at. They need to make sure those same people will always be there day one to invest

You'd be silly to think those 6m diehard fans wouldn't buy their next console no matter when it's released. I know a handful of people that bought the Wii U at launch just because it was a Nintendo console and they wanted HD Zelda, Smash, and MK. Every single one of them has traded the system in by now because those games haven't surfaced and the third party support is non-existant.

A lot of people are overly negative about the Wii U and can't seem to grasp that it has a decent stable of exclusive compelling software, with more to come. But on the other hand there are people who shout to the heavens about how amazing the system is but don't really acknowledge the very real issues the system has like a lack of third party support, a controversial controller, a questionable value proposition and the very real possibility of the machine dying prematurely.

It's also a matter of opinion. For some people the Gamepad is the best controller ever made, and the system is a haven for platformers. But for others the software isn't exciting. It is natural to have variances of opinion, and some people surely do have their heads in the sand... but implying there is some sort of conspiratorial anti-Wii U agenda being pushed here is a bit rich for my tastes.

TaiKH92

Banned
So the Gamecube was 9.55 million and the WiiU is 5-6 million?
The difference is not that big, anyway I still think the Wii U will at least equal the Gamecube sales, not like that's a big achievement...

tengiants

A lot of people are overly negative about the Wii U and can't seem to grasp that it has a decent stable of exclusive compelling software, with more to come. But on the other hand there are people who shout to the heavens about how amazing the system is but don't really acknowledge the very real issues the system has like a lack of third party support, a controversial controller, a questionable value proposition and the very real possibility of the machine dying prematurely.

It's also a matter of opinion. For some people the Gamepad is the best controller ever made, and the system is a haven for platformers. But for others the software isn't exciting. It is natural to have variances of opinion, and some people surely do have their heads in the sand... but implying there is some sort of conspiratorial anti-Wii U agenda being pushed here is a bit rich for my tastes.

I didn't say there was a conspiracy. There's just people who post here who make money on videogames, and because it's an english forum, there's expected to be a majority of western interests here. There is nothing wrong with that and there is no conspiracy.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The difference is not that big anyway I still think the Wii U will at least equal the Gamecube sales, not like that's a big achievement...

Wii U was very front-loaded on the back of the Wii, it has flatlined since.

GC sold 5 million in the next year, Wii U will just fall further behind. It's very unlikely to reach 20 million, especially as they can't match the price cuts the GC had.

I think you are looking at 12-15 LTD, which is a complete disaster for Nintendo.

ironcreed

Banned
Why does Nintendo even bother with this console?

Well, people are still buying it. It is doing abysmally bad, no doubt. But a year and a half is just really getting a console cycle started.

Hell, it is finally becoming attractive to me and many others, not to mention the people who have one. So they can't just destroy what good will they have left and pull the plug with so many great games left in the oven. Not to mention owners out there who might as well have just used their money as toilet paper if Nintendo with all of their money curls up and feebly call it quits so early. That is, unless they have no future plans to ever release another console and are not worried about pissing people off and destroying their confidence in any future systems. Which would be sad.

What's funny is not many would miss them until they were gone. I obviously can't speak for everyone else, but I have come to realization that I don't want 3 systems doing the same things and sharing most of the same games. Two doing that is enough and that is what makes this system so attractive. It's just a damn shame that developers and gamers alike don't want to give something different a chance because it is not as powerful as the other two. Even though we finally have gorgeous Nintendo games in HD and the system is plenty capable to make great games on, that is apparently not enough. *shrugs* It is what it is, but I know I finally want one.

emb

I initially looked at the list and thought it was unfair. The Gamecube's Mar. 03 data, vs U 2014? That's not nearly as long for the W- Wow, it makes me realize how long the Wii U has been out. The library is building up slowly, but it's ridiculous how long it's taking. I love some of the games, but I wish the poor little box could get some more support. :(

TriGen

I expect their next console by 2017, it's going to be pretty interesting, I'm really excited about the Nintendo OS they want to share between their next handheld and console.

2017 may be possible for their console, but their handheld should be in 2016, and since Iwata said they want both to share architecture so games could be ported between them -- that means any 'big' game that launches on their handheld also effects their new console lineup. I think that will make things interesting, as we could possibly see more console-like stuff that maybe would of wound up on the Wii U in 2016 (or maybe some 2015 stuff) get moved to their handheld, because that way they could strengthen their new handheld and their new console lineups at the same time.

The difference is not that big, anyway I still think the Wii U will at least equal the Gamecube sales, not like that's a big achievement...

it's less than 2/3 of the Gamecube's sales at the equivalent time, and it'll almost certainly finish with less than 2/3 of Gamecube's LTD in the end

I initially looked at the list and thought it was unfair. The Gamecube's Mar. 03 data, vs U 2014? That's not nearly as long for the W- Wow, it makes me realize how long the Wii U has been out. The library is building up slowly, but it's ridiculous how long it's taking. I love some of the games, but I wish the poor little box could get some more support. :(

Yup. It's been out for a long time and their software library is very disappointing.

Hatchtag

Banned
You'd be silly to think those 6m diehard fans wouldn't buy their next console no matter when it's released. I know a handful of people that bought the Wii U at launch just because it was a Nintendo console and they wanted HD Zelda, Smash, and MK. Every single one of them has traded the system in by now because those games haven't surfaced and the third party support is non-existant.

That's definitely me. Bought Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U at launch (well, Christmas, but whatever.) Wii U's the only one I've traded in, and I have no regrets about it. And I know damn well I'm probably not the only one.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I didn't say there was a conspiracy. There's just people who post here who make money on videogames, and because it's an english forum, there's expected to be a majority of western interests here. There is nothing wrong with that and there is no conspiracy.

Yes, you are talking conspiracy nonsense.

zruben

Banned
I'm fucking glad it's selling so poorly. Nintendo deserves to be punished.

We, the consumers, spoke with our wallets, and we finally released the industry hand-break that Nintendo imposed over the years with their shitty overpriced and outdated hardware.

I'm glad they are going straight to hell. Finally, the whole industry won't be held back by Nintendo's presence. Finally, videogames will achieve what we are all wanting from years ago; the "art" status.

We fucking did it bros. Let's keep the threads rolling, we can keep the sales low enough for the WiiU to die.

Edit: JK, I love Nintendo

Cse

Banned
The system has decent titles now, too. The library is arguably better than what the PS4 and Xbox One can currently offer, especially with MK8 releasing next month.

I wonder if Nintendo is going to continue going all in with the Wii U, or if they're already redirecting resources and potential projects to their next console.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wii U was very front-loaded on the back of the Wii, it has flatlined since.

GC sold 5 million in the next year, Wii U will just fall further behind. It's very unlikely to reach 20 million, especially as they can't match the price cuts the GC had.

I think you are looking at 12-15 LTD, which is a complete disaster for Nintendo.

3rd Year on the Market (1st three months)

Nintendo 64 (January 1998 - March 1998)
0.53 million

GameCube (January 2003 - March 2003)
0.41 million

Wii (January 2008 - March 2008)
1.43 million

Wii U (January 2014 - March 2014)
0.20 million

While the Wii U is doing terribly, keep in mind that the GC managed to sell 5m that year despite hitting 0.41m in 3 months.

0.53 million

0.41 million

1.43 million

0.20 million

While the Wii U is doing terribly, keep in mind that the GC managed to sell 5m that year despite hitting 0.41m in 3 months.

the 5 million figure is WW, Aquamarine's numbers are NPD

The vast majority of people who post here are just gamers with no connection to the industry whatsoever. I actually think most of the people here who are completely closed off to the Wii U are immature fanboys not industry insiders, but who knows really!

tengiants

Yes, you are talking conspiracy nonsense.

Bias that occurs naturally because of the environment and conspiracy are completely different things. One of them is malicious, one of them isn't. I don't believe anyone is conspiring or that anything malicious is happening.

Mory Dunz

I'm fucking glad it's selling so poorly. Nintendo deserves to be punished.

We, the consumers, spoke with our wallets, and we finally released the industry hand-break that Nintendo imposed over the years with their shitty overpriced and outdated hardware.

I'm glad they are going straight to hell. Finally, the whole industry won't be held back by Nintendo's presence. Finally, videogames will achieve what we are all wanting from years ago; the "art" status.

We fucking did it bros. Let's keep the threads rolling, we can keep the sales low enough for the WiiU to die.

Edit: JK, I love Nintendo

Ahh, you edited. I thought it was real too.
I was hoping for another meme post. "straight to hell" was so quotable...

...I'm not the only one to notice that Wii U sales according to Media Create/Famitsu still haven't hit their shipped totals as of their last fiscal report, am I

Damaniel

Banned
It's a shame really, Nintendo is in a league all their own at a software level.

They can't carry the system alone, though - and with only one major third party (Ubisoft) supporting them, the system's already a dead console walking. The Gamecube had a far better set of games (including some stellar launch window titles) and it still flopped. It shouldn't have, but it did.

I own one, but I'm not expecting much of a future for it after Smash (which I really don't care about) and MK8. I'm still not convinced we'll ever see Bayonetta 2 or X in America (though I'll buy both if and when they come out).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

0.53 million

0.41 million

1.43 million

0.20 million

Over double the Wii U, and GC was very cheap by this point which helps its holiday sales. Nintendo are unable to drop the price of the Wii U anywhere near that.

Nothing points to Wii U being able to catch the GC, next year is especially ominous.

ironcreed

Banned
The system has decent titles now, too. The library is arguably better than what the PS4 and Xbox One can currently offer, especially with MK8 releasing next month.

I wonder if Nintendo is going to continue going all in with the Wii U, or if they're already redirecting resources and potential projects to their next console.

It has been out longer, so of course. But it still holds true. I just realized last week that it was more appealing to me than PS4. It just suddenly struck me like a bolt of lightning.

I mean, just a year and a half in? Shitty sales or not, it is finally coming into it's own and deserves a huge push.

Top Bottom