• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Nook

Find this man Detective GAF

Xs9VoPS.jpg

;)

IT WAS ME NINTENDO! I LEAKED IT!
900x900px-LL-b0948667_X6VwIze.gif

jax

Banned
I, for one, am ready to embrace the next generation handheld ultrawide oval screen future. Paired with the iPhone SE (the most powerful gaming hardware Apple has produced) I am really looking forward to Novemeber!

gafneo

Banned
Updated my theory. Overall, both systems will be nearly the same. Nintendo can go back to motion, while 2nd screen gaming can be an option if you stick to the older model or if you use NX unattached to the console.

4gq2kmf.jpg

ZOONAMI

That reflection is of the monitor and ceiling...jesus people lol

It's pretty fucking weird though that it's overhead incandescent light. I have never been in an office building that has that, unless you're the fucking ceo or an executive and you're like, fuck this fluorescent lights in my office. Install incandescent lights in my office, you peons!

Saab has you covered! From 1992.. Wonder why this didn't take off? It's so innovative, and forward thinking. (and solves a problem nobody had)

saab90002.jpg

Saab, the Nintendo of car makers.

We get it, you're in love with the d-pad and 4 face buttons. We also get that you're afraid to try anything new and that you're 100% sure Nintendo has in no way any plans for a traditional controller ala Pro controller that they released on both the Wii U and Wii. You've been beating this dead horse for literally days now.

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
So let's assume this button-less thing is real. How could it work for a game like Zelda?

I put together a basic proof of concept. In short, it could be done, but it isn't ideal and could be done better on a traditional controller. However it does make good use of the scroll wheels, which I think should be a standard because it's an awesome idea.

Oh, and because I forgot, pressing on the left analog stick puts up the shield. Again, un-intuitive. But it's what we have to work with.

VsLdJG8.png

I still don't understand the benefit of context-aware virtual buttons on something that's not in front of your face. Anything that breaks muscle memory and requires an attention shift away from the primary monitor sounds terrible in practice. Even if they nail the tactile response, what have they gained?

Nintendo's designs are traditionally rooted in gameplay function. What I'm seeing looks very non-Nintendo.

georly

So let's assume this button-less thing is real. How could it work for a game like Zelda?

I put together a basic proof of concept. In short, it could be done, but it isn't ideal and could be done better on a traditional controller. However it does make good use of the scroll wheels, which I think should be a standard because it's an awesome idea.

Oh, and because I forgot, pressing on the left analog stick puts up the shield. Again, un-intuitive. But it's what we have to work with.

VsLdJG8.png

Why wouldn't the button layout (stab, etc) be on the touch screen around the joystick? Whole point of having a screen that surrounds the joysticks is to move UI elements off the TV and onto the controller.

When's the last time a Zelda game has made you open a separate menu? Since TP (on the Wii) it's been replaced by a radial menu on consoles. I actually vastly prefer an on-screen radial menu to a touch screen as it lets me keep my eyes on the screen and feels very natural

I think this is a good microcosm for the types of arguments we can expect now and later if Nintendo is doubling down on touch. There really is no such thing as a control scheme that is objectively better in touch vs. physical buttons.

Said a different way, think of touch as a different flavor of ice cream rather than a new dessert entirely.
The person I replied to was arguing that menus are just fine.
For the Zelda games I find these add a lot to streamline the controls providing a better experience.

Boogdud

We get it, you're in love with the d-pad and 4 face buttons. We also get that you're afraid to try anything new and that you're 100% sure Nintendo has in no way any plans for a traditional controller ala Pro controller that they released on both the Wii U and Wii. You've been beating this dead horse for literally days now.

country.gif

"uh, what thread do you think this is?"

kirby_fox

Banned
Just to correct this a little bit, there has actually only been a single source that has said it's a fake, and that's that Liam guy who has been widely discredited. Worse, he's not even the source, but rather some guy in NoE. It's the equivalent of "my uncle works at Nintendo and said ___________" in terms of validity

I think this is an important point to make because this is clearly a gigantic, internet-spanning discussion, and yet we've heard no credible debunking.

What we do see are legitimate pictures, we see actual game developers and insiders being coy, and we see a lot of dots being connected

This isn't as wishy-washy as you'd think

How do we know the GI guys didn't get told this by "some guy at NOE"? You have about as much validity in either statement.

Which means, it's as wishy-washy as I think it is.

Chindogg

Wii U had both Madden and Fifa at launch. I doubt their lack of continued releases was a big reason at all.

Nobody decides they won't get a console because a single game isn't on it. General third-party support sure. But just Fifa/Madden. Also nobody bought those versions anyway on Wii U.

The Wii versions of Madden and FIFA ported to Wii U don't count. They weren't the same versions as those on Xbox 360/PS3.

Here is my final verdict:

We have no idea how this is going to work, so I will wait for the official reveal and a demonstration before thinking about this one second longer.

The Wiimote's success and accesibility fired the Wii to be one of the fastest selling consoles of all time. Not to mention it directly influenced the creation of Kinecxt and the Move and now VR is using similar controls.

Sure the games thing is I guess subjective but, I think saying a "handful" of games use the controller well is wilfull ignorance on your part.

It certainly affected and influenced the industry. However, you have to admit that Nintendo (and 3rd parties) either abandoned the tech, resulting in very few outstanding uses, or failed to even try. That tech still has so much potential. Why hasn't it been improved/perfected? So yes, there really were only a handful of games that even scratched the surface of the Wiimote's potential.

Gamepad had the same problem. Out of the gate you have ZombiU using it very well. Then we got improvement for older games (TP HD, WWHD using it as map and inventory), definitive editions because of it (Rayman Legends) and unique experiences that couldn't be duplicated without it (Splatoon, Mario Maker, Captain Toad) but like the wiimote the gamepad has really only just scratched the surface of its capabilities. The gamepad has imo more games that utilize it's specail qualities than the wiimote ever did.

Nintendo for two generations has introduced amazing new ways to play and both they and 3rd parties have failed to deliver the appropriate amount of games that use that tech. Instead of being thought of as essential and desirable the control scheme has instead been an impediment. Hopefully the NX not only changes the game but does a better job of giving us more games to enjoy the "gimmick"

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
Why wouldn't the button layout (stab, etc) be on the touch screen around the joystick? Whole point of having a screen that surrounds the joysticks is to move UI elements off the TV and onto the controller.

Because you wouldn't be able to read it on the small image I made

It's a proof-of-concept, not a game design document

The_Lump

Banned
Honestly, if this real my only concern is potential lack of a second shoulder buttons. Scroll wheels be damned I think 4 shoulder buttons is a must.

I still don't understand the benefit of context-aware virtual buttons on something that's not in front of your face. Anything that breaks muscle memory and requires an attention shift away from the primary monitor sounds terrible in practice. Even if they nail the tactile response, what have they gained?

Nintendo's designs are traditionally rooted in gameplay function. What I'm seeing looks very non-Nintendo.

I think this is my issue with the whole thing. What's the point in this? In what way does it actually IMPROVE the gameplay experience. You could have made an argument for the gamepad, but this?

It just screams being different for the sake of being different, and at the cost of ergonomics. As I've said earlier in the thread, no matter how well they do this, it'll never replace physical buttons. All they will achieve is further alienation of the very market that have continued to allude them for over a decade. One they NEED to win over at this point.

Damn, I'm so pissed off D:

VsLdJG8.png

Wait, Link's sword attacks have never been determined by specific single button inputs, but by the directional input on the left stick. It wouldn't need to be separated into different directions as different sword attacks.

KingV

It's pretty fucking weird though that it's overhead incandescent light. I have never been in an office building that has that, unless you're the fucking ceo or an executive and you're like, fuck this fluorescent lights in my office. Install incandescent lights in my office, you peons!

Well, a few other things are off with that:
1) "Warm" lighting is kind of a North American thing most other regions of the world prefer a cooler color temperature (don't really know about Sweden, per se)

2) incandescent a are harder to find abroad than in the US, the EU started phasing them out earlier.

3) kind of makes me think he is a student in the US.

kevin1025

Banned
For some reason I keep thinking that this build is just missing the handles, and that the handles will have the AB and XY on the backside of them. Playing a game on a TV and pressing the buttons on the screen without looking sounds like some magic.

But I would love to be proven wrong and see it work!

Nilaul

Honestly, if this real my only concern is potential lack of a second shoulder buttons. Scroll wheels be damned I think 4 shoulder buttons is a must.

You have up 6 (scroll up/down and press x 2 ) different inputs with 2 scroll wheels, with four shoulder buttons you have 4. However there still might be 2 smaller shoulder buttons.

Well you'd only be shifting your attention to the controller for a menu/weapon change if its like Twilight Princess. You can remember the spatial position of the buttons on the screen.

Granted, I'm not 100% sold on this concept, but we'll see how it they use it in E3.

Fredrik

That looks nice when you don't have your hands on the damn thing. The moment you start blocking buttons with your thumbs, it turns to crap.

Plus, hitting buttons repeatedly gives you muscle memory. That won't work with contextual buttons that appear on a game to game basis.
Crap compared to what? Compared to what we're used to we just get a much bigger screen than usual here.

Lets see if this works, scruffy sketches

This
JYtIpeI.jpg

compared to this
TOSBg3E.jpg

LucidFlux

For some reason I keep thinking that this build is just missing the handles, and that the handles will have the AB and XY on the backside of them. Playing a game on a TV and pressing the buttons on the screen without looking sounds like some magic.

But I would love to be proven wrong and see it work!

Great point. If the buttons are on the backside either on the handles or in the form of paddles this could totally work.

You'll have to explain why someone liking the standard controller is somehow "bad" in this case. He's certainly not the only one considering that format has been around for decades and played by tens of millions over that period of time.

TunaLover

Nintendo usually get a new gameplay idea and build a controller around this idea, I wonder what's that new idea that they got, it essentialy do the same functions as the gamepad.

Raide

Nintendo usually get a new gameplay idea and build a controller around this idea, I wonder what's that new idea that they got, it essentialy do the same functions as the gamepad.

"Shit guys, the Wii-U Controller was poorly done and clunky, let do that again...but this time make it better!"

Disregard my idea

LwdiSnM.gif

This is a lot better holy crap

I would buy this, I don't know what that makes me. But I would. I would rather they stick with the 3DS design and just make it better, but I feel like if anything Nintendo knows their handhelds.

This shit fucks with me, I want to wait until official word is out from Nintendo, but its hard not to form an opinion off of what could be a failed prototype. We aren't sure how old these photos are. Or if they are in fact real, or simply a failed prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom