• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

i thought this was supposed to be the handheld, since the reddit thread says "controller" then this should be for the NX console?
Most likely. Then is there an NX Handheld? And if so, will it basically be the console's controller with CPU/GPU/RAM/etc. & an cartridge slot?

jonno394

That scares me for price. I wonder if the controller will be a seperate purchase? One that works with NX and plays your games on the go, but the NX system actually includes a controller without the screen? I am just speculating.

This is what I'm thinking too. Standard controller included with NX console or NX handheld can be used if you buy that.

Maniel

Banned
Why would they do this when the whole reason the Wii u couldn't drop in price was because of the tablet controller

I don't like the idea of the top buttons being similar to a scroll wheel on a mouse. So far, with it's current design and lack of actual buttons, I am not feeling it. Didn't care for the Wii U's GamePad and to me this looks worst then that. I will have to reserve final judgement until it's official unveiling though.

Brinbe

The thing about all these gimmicks is that they're cool and different for all about a second and then you realize that all of this would be about a billion times better and easier with a traditional controller. There's a reason why that has worked perfectly well for decades.

And I'm all for pushing the boundaries and trying new things but only when you show a true commitment to making them work naturally and effectively. They always just half-ass those gimmicks, whether it's on their hand-helds or consoles and mostly forget about them halfway through the cycle anyway. It just bites them in the ass every time.

DOWN

Banned
so you have to look at the controller like a baby boomer to play games with it. great nintendo. your gimmicks really nail our needs.

Otnopolit

I can't take the senseless speculation and the madness, I'm going to do my mental health a service by not reading this thread until we get some official word...

It's a bit weird just how much they're showing in that picture. LIke, not the device, the actual location.
The keyboard isn't a traditional english one so it's probably easier to find out where the studio is. You can see the brand of TV, the table, and the windows as well. I'm pretty sure studios need to keep that in a enclosed room too.
So if real it's pretty easy to find out which studio is to blame and no "I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be leaked" since there's a sticker that says confidential property right there
Can we figure out what country the leaker is from based on that keyboard setup?
Nintendo can probably find out the studio fairly easily.

Itd be super cool if this had paddles. Two paddles, 4 shoulder buttons.

The scroll wheel is a godsend IMO.

Next gen controllers to me must all have paddles and scroll wheel

Mr Git

So the scroll wheel stuff that appeared aeons ago might end up being a reality then. It still doesn't look good to hold but we'll see (and even if it's real).

Why do I even bother going into NX threads when it's only "Nintendo isn't doing exactly what I want them to therefore the console/company is doomed to fail"

For real. Nintendo bread and butter is 2D and 3D Mario. Platformers are their bread and butter. There's no way they wouldn't have a solution to make great controls if they were planning on getting rid of physical buttons.

Guevara

Part of me thinks this looks awesome and super futuristic.

Part of me thinks it's a dumb idea for a bunch of practical reasons.

I still don't think it's real, but if it's a handheld, I think it'd possibly be great. As a controller for a console though, it's tough to envision it working well.

Draft

stewie__s_head_by_bl00db47h.jpg

The expression :lol

Fact is Nintendo is never going to beat Sony at being the mainline console that plays PC games for people too scared to build a PC. Rather than chase a market leader they can never catch, Nintendo should figure out a way to be profitable selling hardware that mostly plays their games and a smattering of third party support.

najehe

Banned
Man the outrage/interest is real with the controller. Fuck not having any physical buttons though. There better be a pro controller packed in.

I'm just now realizing that the folks wanting this but with physical buttons had something fairly similar for a while now.

If the NX takes off, the Vita's grave could not be more desecrated. Poor thing.

Not gonna lie, for a controller with a better ergonomic design and shoulder buttons, I would take it. OLED Vita controller on PS4 was fun if the control scheme was tailored made.

maxcriden

They're stuck with a screen...if for nothing else the Zelda U cross platform launch.

Not necessarily. Simply because the game might not rely strongly on the touchscreen, in which case a Wii U version could have that version whilst the NX version lacks it. Just to play devil's advocate here, not that I'm convinced that's the case. Just think of WW vs. WWHD or OOT vs. OOT3D. They're both playable with/without the touchscreen. (It wouldn't be unprecedented for the Wii U version to look worse but be considered by some to be the better version of the game--as we saw with Twilight Princess GCN/Wii.)

Dinda

Oh god this was real? God damn i want real buttons!
Touch/virtual buttons/pads are the worst thing that ever happend to controls....(if they are not just an additional thing, like the ds4 pad)

otakukidd

I'm actually thinking this is the portable. I take 2 things from these pictures. 1 one there's a audio jack in it with regular headphones so it has it can out put TV audio like the ps4 xbox one or its the portable and that's normal. And 2, what was that hdmi hooked into? Does it maybe have a hdmi port?

Honestly, assuming this is real, I don't think it's worth getting worked up about until we get hands on impressions of the technology. "NO REAL BUTTONS!" strikes me as a very reactionary concern from people unwilling to accept any type of change, since if properly implemented I think haptic buttons could offer a ton of really cool and useful benefits that would be impossible with physical buttons (For example: Don't like the default button layout? Want them closer together or farther apart? Higher? Lower? All these things would be theoretically customizable with haptic buttons. You could also do stuff like change the number of available buttons for certain games that need more forms of input. Obviously this is all dependent on how well the tech actually works, but a picture won't give us that anyways)

Nimby

Banned
Wouldn't the handheld system be a successor to the 3DS, therefore be a literal RPG machine? That lack of face buttons doesn't deter me in that regard, but I'd like to see how they handle platformers before sending the thing to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom