• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm saying. Nintendo can't keep cannibalizing their consoles by being way too different. So here comes another console that gives devs another wall to not develop for again with it being different from the other 2 consoles, as if relations wasn't enough.

This has gotta be the handheld, where they are the only ones to dictate in what direction to go, as they have the "crown" there. That doesn't translate well on the console side where Sony and Msoft are making the moves.

Do u think Nintendo could overtake xbox with a traditional console, simply by having strong IPs, lower price, competent online, and 3rd party support, and with a controller similar to this leak but with buttons like VITA?

C'mon Nintendo, don't leave buttons out. For fuck's sake that's why I hate mobile gaming.

They aren't. It's pretty clear between the first image (which shows a B button) and the info on haptic feedback that the idea is to use digital buttons that simulate the feel of physical buttons if this is true. Whether it'll work or not is one thing we have no info on, but if it does it's completely different to what you're thinking of on mobile

Skinpop

Yes but giving this up allows for infinite control schemes tailored to each individual game.
control schemes just aren't an issue. lack of feedback is though. I would never even consider buying this unless it has some secret sauce haptic feedback that makes it feel just as good as a button.

PBY

Banned
There's absolutely no way this has no buttons. This is a prototype to show how it would run/work but there is little to no chance that physical buttons are gone.

If there is...I'm
still trying it
out and won't be happy.
They made a prototype but left the buttons out? Lol

MLH

I've tried button based games on my phone, while the responsiveness is fine including the haptic feedback, the lack of physical protrusions means I don't know where each button is without looking. Every so often I need to look at my thumbs to see if I've slipped away from the buttons. This just doesn't happen with buttons that protrude; you can rest your thumb over the diamond formation and forget about it.

This is a very worrying development and while I'm not against revolutionary controllers (I love the wii controller when it was first shown), we all know how capacitive screen buttons work and they're sub-par for gaming.

It would be bad for Nintendo to react to this leak, either with speeding up their plans or acknowledging it, as it'll set a precedent and leaks will become more commonplace. Still I would rather we get some official info now, put some fears to rest before things get out of control.
Also whoever leaked this is in serious trouble!

eggandI

Banned
😪😪

Looks like another Nintendo gen I'll be skipping out on, and probably the last too as I doubt they'll still be making hardware after this flops.

Guymelef

On one hand I'm scared, on the other, the Wii U Gamepad changed from the first time it was publicly revealed and release

17oo9662scic1jpg.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5915316/the-wii-u-gamepad-is-different-heres-how/

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/gamepad/0/3

So they are going to change the analog sticks from this NX controller, ok... still... where are the buttons?

If leaks like this are going to happen, Nintendo needs to up their reveal schedule. This needs context desperately. Denials aren't going to do any good any more.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I don't get it.... there aren't buttons? There's "on screen buttons" that give you some force feedback when you push them instead?

Okay....

I'm digging it, looks really sexy. The question is how will games work without buttons and how well are the touch substitutes implemented? I also want to see them explain the benefits of freeform display.

Aldric

l've owned every single Nintendo system with the exception of the Virtual Boy, but l think l'll pass on whatever the NX will be.

No physical buttons is a huge no no.

Wow, if these leaks turn out to be fake, fucking props to whoever put these together, but man I think I'm convinced o_O

E3 should be fun as hell this year, can't wait

Hex

Banned
Yes but giving this up allows for infinite control schemes tailored to each individual game. The sticks are surrounded by a touch screen correct? Even for gestures alone this could allow for more seamless controls. Want to throw grenades in call of duty? Flick your thumb up the right side of the control stick. Cycle thru weapons by sliding along the bottom of the control stick.

Want to introduce someone to gaming? Have the controller display button prompts. Want to learn a combo but just can't get the timing right? Have the controller show you right there on the pad.

I think there's great potential.

Oh yeah, fantastic.
So you are staring at the controller when you should be staring at the screen.
All of that can be done on screen and does not need to be on the controller.
It is like the WII U pad when it came out, everyone had visions of sugar plums and it would change gaming and let you do this and that.
It hurt the WiiU instead of any of that.

Red Hood

Banned
It looks classy, far better than the first leak. Though I have to say it looks very uncomfortable to use. I'd prefer a traditional controller.

Also, lol @ "confidential property". If anything, it makes me doubt it more.

I'm skeptical, but always willing to try out new control methods. My only concern though, is how on Earth am I playing Smash with this? I can see a Zelda being totally fine, or a Mario, but not Smash.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Haven't been able to read the thread, but does this seem like the handheld? Not sure why you need a head phone jack otherwise.

I mean, the PS4 controller has a headphone jack on it, so this being the actual console's controller isn't out of the question.

This is amazing.

If that thing is the primary controller for the NX... somehow, that's the lesson they took out of the Wii U.

That's what they came up with to follow their greatest failure.

Unreal. This thing is going to fucking bomb! Quote me mother fuckers! Add this post to your bookmarks! Less than Wii U.

This shit is NOT viable in the current console marketplace. It's just not. NO ONE is going to port their shit to this weird fucking... thing.

Millenials are cute, forgetting all about the virtual boy.

I'm not normally one to bask in salt, but my god is this thread glorious.

I have a steam controller that I've used extensively and didn't really care for the feel of it. Incredibly comfortable to hold, just kind of off.

I mean, this might be true, but I wonder if this is just a matter of getting used to it. I'm sure it won't feel exactly the same, and it might feel awful, but until we get actual impressions of its use there's no point complaining

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The thing that worries me about this design is the lack of proper grips. Haptic feedback and stuff is cool, I'm not sure how well it'll work but I'd be willing to give it a shot, but for me proper grips are necessary for gaming. I used to game on PC and one of the main reasons I had to leave it behind was because gaming on a keyboard for longer than an hour caused me a lot of pain. Same thing happened with my Vita before I got grips for it. For some reason gaming puts a lot of stress on my wrists but that doesn't happen when I have a traditional controller in my hands with the proper grips. I assume there will at least be a third party shell for it but it's a big oversight for someone like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom