• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the point - building enthusiasm and product awareness for a console is important for a hell of lot more factors than ultimately the end consumer.

I mean they already fucked this up with the WiiU. People didn't even know what the hell it was, hell some people STILL don't.

How can you fuck it up twice in five years?

mishakoz

Just watched 2014 The Game Awards gameplay.

Auonuma "and you're sure it will release next year?"

Miamoto: "yes"

Welp.

Also that footage still looks really bad.

Nanashrew

Banned
E3 was their blowout, the system reveals were nothing, a few tech demos and "Look this exists".

E3 is how you market your product in the games industry. Period. It's THE TIME where you get the most mind share of the country at large.

If it's not there then they fucked up. Horribly. And it's going to backfire, horribly.

E3 is losing its relevancy and losing publishers and attendance. It is no longer a place for Christmas gifts and never should have been in the first place. Look at every other industry and how little they rely on a single convention but instead on multiple and social media announcements.

Nintendo should really do a live press conference now.

*Reggie walks on stage*

"Let's look at this 2 minute Zelda trailer!"

*Everyone claps*

"Have a great E3!"

Also what version of Zelda are we gonna see at E3? The inferior Wii U version that most won't care about? Or the NX version that they promised to show us at this year's E3?
It has to be NX, why would they show us a dumbed down version... ARGHHH NINTENDO 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Kaisos

E3 is how you market your product in the games industry. Period. It's THE TIME where you get the most mind share of the country at large.

E3's relevance has been fading for a long time now.

Not the point - building enthusiasm and product awareness for a console is important for a hell of lot more factors than ultimately the end consumer.

See, I see those reveals as Sony essentially lying for the sole purposes of building marketing hype. Honestly, I don't see The Last Guardian coming out -at all-.

Bishop89

god, this is probably going to be the worst platform year I can think of.

What the hell does nintendo have this year for the wii u? :/

E3 is losing its relevancy and losing publishers and attendance. It is no longer a place for Christmas gifts and never should have been in the first place. Look at every other industry and how little they rely on a single convention but instead on multiple and social media announcements.

E3 was the biggest social media event in gaming last year. You're missing the point.

ReyVGM

Did they specifically say no NX at E3 meaning no playable NX at the show floor, or no NX reveal conference/Direct at E3?

E3 was their blowout, the system reveals were nothing, a few tech demos and "Look this exists".

If it's not there then they fucked up. Horribly. And it's going to backfire, horribly.

So is E3 expected to be on Spike like last year or is it just going to be internet streams of conferences from Sony and Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA, and Activision?

ultrazilla

183d49p0dftr8gif.gif

jdstorm

Banned
Looks like Nintendo is going all in with Mobile and old platforms this year. I hope it turns out well for them. Despite the rough start and almost constant game droughts 4.5 years of Wii U support from Nintendo has more then made me happy to want to buy the NX at Launch. Whatever it is.

Hopefully this delay is Zen/Pascal related

Bluth54

Pretty surprising news, both the system and Zelda being pushed back to 2017 as well as no NX at E3. I imagine most Nintendo development has moved on to the NX and we're going to get a pretty boring E3 from them aside from Zelda footage.

jariw

So:
* Those rumors that NX will absolutely be launched at the end of this year are false.
* The rumors/speculations that Zelda will be a simultaneous released title on NX and Wii U are false.
* The statement from Iwata that the NX was hinted too soon was true.

Meaning that:
* The rumors that Paper Mario and Zelda are the last major Wii U games might as likely be false at this point.
* The statement that Kimishima made regarding the want to release a Mario Maker/Splatoon kind of title for the Wii U for the upcoming financial year might be true.

No NX whatsoever on E3? If true that blows major ass! As if Nintendo had enough to show for WiiU as it is! It's ridiculous that come June the NX is going to be 10 months from launch and they're not ready to show anything? Something's very wrong here.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
OH MY GOD.

So much crow to serve for who thought it was a 2016 Thing.
including me. :p

Though, no show NX at the E3, that's a bullshit... -_-

dex3108

Just because some of the publishers are not at the convention center it doesn't mean that they are not there. All devs and publishers are still in LA at E3 and they are still doing stage shows.

Somewhat a blessing is disguise for me. I was debating between PS4K or NX for this year and I'm happy that I don't have to choose. It's wierd for Nintendo to missed the Holiday sales, so maybe something might had happened that's not going as well.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Did they specifically say no NX at E3 meaning no playable NX at the show floor, or no NX reveal conference/Direct at E3?

No NX at all. If you want to see it wait until E3 2017.

takoyaki

sounds like they will do a full unveil at an event like Sony did with the PS4

from Nikkei:

任天堂は27日、新型ゲーム機「NX」を2017年3月に国内外で発売すると発表した。特徴や価格、同時発売するソフトのラインアップなどの詳細は年内にも発表するとしている。

the features/specs and price of NX as well as details about the launch games will be unveiled this year.

source

sappyday

E3's relevance has been fading for a long time now.

See, I see those reveals as Sony essentially lying for the sole purposes of building marketing hype. Honestly, I don't see The Last Guardian coming out -at all-.

Has it? It's where all the biggest companies still reveal their heavy hitters. Even companies like Bethesda is jumping into the fray. The only ones who have backed off is Nintendo. Those reveals aren't lies lol. Shenmue 3 literally took people's money in order to get made, Final Fantasy VII remake has had footage and clear goal.

Frodo

Schrödinger's cat;202002711 said:
I'm in no particular hurry to buy a new console - I've plenty to play for the next year on my current gaming machines.

So, with that in mind, I'm fine with this. I would *much* rather see a console launch in the best possible way than make some sort of stumble that could plague it for years. If that takes extra time, so be it.

I've no doubt that, when the time is right, we'll be blitzed with details of what it does, how it does it, who is supporting it, what to expect at launch etc.

But GAF wants news of it at E3. And a live conference. Don't forget a live conference.

I much rather this than situations like Sony uncountable E3s of promises that are never fulfilled. See games like, Rhyme, The Last Guardian, Agent, Final Fantasy vs XIII and whatnot. Now, why GAF thinks that they would be better managing Nintendo when they have no idea of what is going on behind the scenes is silly. Just not as silly as thinking that if Nintendo doesn't "win" E3 this year it spells run to its fortune, though. Whatever winning a live conference means, anyway.

I much rather have a proper launch in March, with details coming whenever they are ready than rushing everything and having a half baked launch that ends up being more frustrating than anything. Also, they have been super secretive until now, they will not open their mouths now so far ahead of launch just to appease a few people feeling in gaming forums.

sounds like they will do a full unveil at an event like Sony did with the PS4

from Nikkei:

They really have no idea what they are doing.

How are they going to market it after the reveal when E3 has come and gone and only enthusiasts are going to go out of their way to watch Nintendo stuff (since I'm sure they won't even do Gamescom or something)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom