• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer - Fallout 4 - First look performance analysis (XBO wins?!)

sora87

I was talking about this to a friend who's playing it on Xbox One whilst I'm on PS4, we've both had pretty big FPS drops so I think both versions are capable of being just as poor as the other.

Nobody wins except Bethesda, both versions are losers. That said it have been pretty fine for me on the PS4. I had the game freeze for a couple seconds.

viHuGi

Banned
That´s almost solid, some patches will put it into solid 30fps, Witcher did it so shouldnt be a problem.

With that said, will buy it next year lol

omonimo

Banned
Well ps4 seems to have frequent issue during the fire shot sequence. That's not encouraging. After The Witcher 3 I will never buy again a game before their patches. Lesson learned.

CloudWolf

Yeah, it's weird. I, for instance, encountered a pretty big FPS drop when I arrived at Diamond City playing on Xbox One, but nothing like the complete pauze in gameplay that happened to DF on different XONE consoles.

Gurish

Well ps4 seems to have frequent issue during the fire shot sequence. That's not encouraging. After The Witcher 3 I will never buy again a game before their patches. Lesson learned.
But will Bethesda will even bother fixing it like CDP did? Pete Hines denials aren't encouraging...

Markew001

I'm just curious if those experiencing the really terrible frame drops are using the Pip Boy app? I was trying it out last night for the first time and noticed that when I was in the local map view it was stuttering every couple of seconds, both on the map and in-game. When I pulled it out to the world map it wasn't quite as bad but still noticeable. I'm not sure if this is due to my router/ps4/phone configuration or if this is something that everyone is experiencing.

KevinG

I've had a smooth experience on Xbox One. Haven't experienced a single hitch like what has been presented by DF.

Things have gotten hectic on several occasions, but no frame drops, at least not noticeable.

Majanew

Banned
I've had a smooth experience on Xbox One. Haven't experienced a single hitch like what has been presented by DF.

Things have gotten hectic on several occasions, but no frame drops, at least not noticeable.

I'm sorry, but I just can't believe that. At all.

VGA222

Banned
I've played both versions for a few hours now. The Xbox One version doesn't seem to lock to 20fps unlike the PS4 version, but can have a lower average frame rate at times. In saying that though, the Xbox One version seems to stutter more often and I have encountered a couple of instances of macro stutter. However, as of right now, I really do feel that YMMV really is the best answer to which platform performs better.

Kssio_Aug

I feel like DF was too hasty with their performance analysis. There are just too many variables to throw up something as quickly as they did.

I do aswell. In their analysis they never mentioned indoor areas for example. It seems to me they spent more than half of their analysis showing up how XB1 can drop to 0 fps in some places, and even that is strange since lots of people played for hours and said that have not experience such an issue yet (my friend included and he doesnt have external HD).

Mikey Jr.

On ps4, after installing the game, I rebuilt the database.

I have about 10 hours clocked in the game, and I can honestly say it runs pretty well. I can't complain too much.

I'm probably going to do this every 20 hours or so.

Maybe it's a placebo effect, maybe I haven't reached far enough, I don't know. But as of right now, it is pretty ok.

Elios83

I don't know who has won but I'm not happy with how the PS4 version performs.
Game is solid 30fps only when you're exploring the empty evinroments
The frame rate is not good when there are gunfights and becomes relly bad when there are gunfights+ intense graphical effects (explosions).
The game code is clearly not optimized, Bethesda is just brute forcing things.
Hopefully they'll care to improve/fix it with all the money they're getting.

-griffy-

Banned
Damn. So is DF blindish? Thats pretty darn close to 0fps if not 0 to me in my eyes. Or were they running a better HD in there PS4?

The more likely explanation is the game is fucked in such a way that it provides highly variable performance due to any number of variables, and DF simply didn't experience something like that in the footage they captured for their Performance Analysis article.

Mastperf

I think dark10x mentioned something about NX Gamers software not counting frames correctly when there's tearing. Is there screen tear in Fallout 4? Could that be the reason why DF's results are different?

Damn. So is DF blindish? Thats pretty darn close to 0fps if not 0 to me in my eyes. Or were they running a better HD in there PS4?

Maybe they didn't go in that area of the game (I had several other frame drops in this area) or maybe it's because I tend to put the PS4 on suspend mode rather than switching it off. it's a "YMMV" kind of thing since the world is pretty vast.

I feel like DF was too hasty with their performance analysis. There are just too many variables to throw up something as quickly as they did.

There is still a full thorough face-off coming from them. The test they did was just a quick preliminary one.

Doesn't matter. They already did the damage with the initial analysis.

Damage? At no point did they say that was their final analysis.

Gurish

Maybe it's pretty rare on PS4 while it happens often on XB1 and that's why they didn't capture it.
This game is just a hot mess, I think there are too many variables and it's hard to know which shitty version is less shitty than the other.

Bethesda are just the worst.

Please go to the car factory and outside of the car factory an benchmark that on both consoles. I see only beginning areas are benchmarked in these videos.

Wabba

Seriously i hate the mentality of developers today. They ship something that they know is not good but playable and then they can just release patches later and adjust. In some cases it takes 6-8 months before the game is up in an ok state, and imo Bethesda is the worst.

I have played Fallout 4 (PS4) for 30 hours and i have had 3 crashes to the PS main screen, a bunch of framerate drops (drops down to 10-15 FPS) and two quest destroyed because of bugs, the last on make it impossible to finish the
Brotherhood of Steel
missions because everytime i open the door to the police station the game crash and i fall under the ground.

VGA222

Banned
I think dark10x mentioned something about NX Gamers software not counting frames correctly when there's tearing. Is there screen tear in Fallout 4? Could that be the reason why DF's results are different?

There's no screen tearing on PS4 or Xbox One.

-griffy-

Banned
Doesn't matter. They already did the damage with the initial analysis.

Oh come on now. They didn't do anything but provide analysis of footage they captured. Any "damage" is solely caused by people's irrational and non-sensical reactions to that analysis, by not thinking rationally about the process DF goes through and jumping to conclusions before a full technical Face-Off can be completed. When people jump on each new piece of video as the One True Analysis® that immediately wipes out any previous video then they are only damaging themselves.

KORNdoggy

most likely reason...it's random. it's as simple as that. the game just chokes sometimes no matter what platform or area...some might not experience it much at all, maybe some have it all the time?

it needs to be patched whatever the case.

RedRum

Banned
I'm starting to like NX more. Especially if it provides another analysis instead of just going by one. I mean.. what if IGN was the only reviewer to go by. :)

Putty

I think it's fair to say both can be as bad as each other in regards to performance. I've had a number of past few hours of play but nothing that has affected my experience, and they are sporadic that it probably 99% 30fps, and 1% sub 30.

c0de

I'm starting to like NX more. Especially if it provides another analysis instead of just going by one. I mean.. what if IGN was the only reviewer to go by. :)

I often don't like when he talks too much about technical terms but the video footage is there. dark10x said he has issues when it comes to tearing but otherwise it's just additional data source with objective data (when it comes to framerates).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What is NXGamer? We only need one of these technical look at websites please.
What? His stuff is great and having multiple places covering this stuff is helpful as sometimes he tackles things slightly differently. You wouldn't just want ONE review site, right?

Kikorin

I'm playing it on X1, 4.30h in and I think framerate is fine. Far from solid 30 in a lot of situations, but never really bad for now.

Top Bottom