• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer - Fallout 4 - First look performance analysis (XBO wins?!)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not to compare, but be sure to check out the Tomb Raider video I did this week. I put a ton of effort into it but Fallout-mania caused it to become ignored. It's almost 20 minutes long!

It was a fantastic video. Makes me look forward to the PS4 one. Too bad a year away, lol.

majik13

Only problems I notice is that third person is noticeable less smooth than first. Controls and camera seem sticky, or its frame drops. Hard to tell, so not sure. Playing on PS4. It kinda makes third person unplayable most of the time unfortunately.

Head.spawn

Where did I say that?

What I did say, and dark10x proved me correct, is that people are all of a sudden dismissing DF (probably because NX fits their comfort zone), when in fact, the game is variable across the board, even on two same machInes.

It is a clear caching issue.

My only issue with DF is that they claimed something to be "unique" to Xbox and it has turned out to not be the case. Tons of people around the internet and anywhere gamers discuss such things are stating DFs conclusion as confirmed fact now.. That's not cool at all.

FX-GMC

This is fake right?

No. He's clueless...

5suFZD4.png

...and rude to boot.

ZKcZHTC.png

So "holds 30 fps as a general rule" = "solid 30 fps" to him.

pixelbox

I think with all of the persistent data the engine controls; it seems the developers are afraid of using a proper streaming engine for fear of losing the persistent data. The engine is completely un-optimized, retaining outside environment data indoors and in general drawing unnecessary objects that could have been phased out in the distance.

thelastword

Banned
How are alpha effects used in the PS4 version compared to the Xbone? It seems like they are the biggest problem.
The only thing I'm seeing here is a higher precision lighting on the PS4, there's definitely a difference between PS4 and XB1 lighting, but no tech spot have touched on it yet.

Agreed, I was thinking the same thing, but I guess that's just the way the internet is, if you want the clicks, you gotta get your content out fast.

I like NX-Gamer, I've watched many of his technical analysis videos and he appears to know his stuff. I hope he gets more recognition for his work and I'd also like to see a couple of more professional technical review sites. I don't like DF being the end-all-be-all (so to speak).
And it's good that they are not the be all end-all too. DF has a habit of just posting conclusions without going into detail. For example, what are the console presets, how are they proving the console presets they say are matched in their pc comparisons. Very small samples of frame-gauged gameplay, yet they draw conclusions based on these, which have been proven wrong before, like in FC4.

That´s almost solid, some patches will put it into solid 30fps, Witcher did it so shouldnt be a problem.

With that said, will buy it next year lol
Witcher 3 is not close to being a solid 30fps, look at any video after patch 1.11, W3 still falls to the low 20's often.

Yeah, I generally like DF better as they seem to be much more thorough, but NXGamer does some good stuff too.
That's strange, usually it's NXgamer that's more thorough. DF missed the unlocked framerate in Unity, they missed the denser grass in GTA5, they missed HBAO in rivals. The things NXgamer comments on, usually DF never catches on or even comments on them.

All you people saying DF was too hasty and agreeing... how do you forget they always have a preliminary, then a more thorough one that comes after, and is yet to come?
They may add more text, but usually the conclusions are the same, I've seen many final DF faceoffs where there's no new or more thorough framerate test from the initial 3-5 minute run.

DrZeus

I was hyped for this on ps4. With the varied experience i might just wait till i can build a pc to run it proper.

dcb2821

Seems like people are getting mixed results, Ill hold my judgement until I play it myself tomorrow. I thought Unity played just fine, so that shows how high my standards are lol

Gurish

Not to compare, but be sure to check out the Tomb Raider video I did this week. I put a ton of effort into it but Fallout-mania caused it to become ignored. It's almost 20 minutes long!
It was a great video man, your work isn't ignored!

Wereroku

Anyone running into major hitching based on the file size of their saves yet?

No from what I have seen it seems to have more to do with length of play session instead of save files. Shorter play session with complete system shutdowns in between seem to be best performance wise but even that is not entirely true. Small differences in HDD and OS installs seem to actually affect game performance. I wonder if a factory reset console would perform the best for this. Isn't that what game studios usually assign to testers?

Hey Dark is there a way for you to test the frame rates on factory reset and formatted drives with no other games loaded?

tuxfool

Banned

We liked it. Also remember you'll have another two chances to shine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No from what I have seen it seems to have more to do with length of play session instead of save files. Shorter play session with complete system shutdowns in between seem to be best performance wise but even that is not entirely true. Small differences in HDD and OS installs seem to actually affect game performance. I wonder if a factory reset console would perform the best for this. Isn't that what game studios usually assign to testers?

Hey Dark is there a way for you to test the frame rates on factory reset and formatted drives with no other games loaded?
I'll ask and see. I'm not the one testing Fallout 4 (only have it on the PC myself).

Ploid 3.0

Man this game runs like shit on both consoles and it's the most outdated next gen only game on consoles, how the hell is it possible?
I would expect a game that looks like this to run at 60.

Did Bethesda said anything about patches?

I'm still not sure if it's current gen only. I'm actually going to google search it because I haven't even followed the game enough to know. Weird indeed. Maybe they planned it to be cross gen and just scrapped it (ugh a pun).

Percy

Banned
also, slightly ot but...
so now NXgamer is alright and DF isnt? lol both sides have some serious issues. That thirst to prove which plastic box runs better, DF and NXgamer threads are no longer focused on tec analysis, but more of a pissing contest

Pretty much, I can still recall when NXgamer citations were being dismissed offhand on Neogaf and NXgamer threads looked like this cringeworthy mess.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My only issue with DF is that they claimed something to be "unique" to Xbox and it has turned out to not be the case. Tons of people around the internet and anywhere gamers discuss such things are stating DFs conclusion as confirmed fact now.. That's not cool at all.

But that was their experience. How does that change?

Hence why there is different variables and sites. And their final one will come out as well.

The game is FUBAR with caching, etc.

ill wait a couple of patches before jumping into the fallout.

also, slightly ot but...
so now NXgamer is alright and DF isnt? lol both sides have some serious issues. That thirst to prove which plastic box runs better, DF and NXgamer threads are no longer focused on tec analysis, but more of a pissing contest

Pretty much, I can still recall when NXgamer citations were being dismissed offhand on Neogaf and NXgamer threads looked like this cringeworthy mess.

It is whatever fits certain people's purchase or mental narrative.

ill wait a couple of patches before jumping into the fallout.

also, slightly ot but...

Haha

Please watch the video guys, it's great.

Agreed on both.

thelastword

Banned
Ha, man that NXgamer hate was strong. I find it funny that some are less combative against him in this particular faceoff.

I do think Bethesda will have to patch this, that is, disregarding Hines "there's nothing to see here, there are no problems" IraqGeneral.Gif..........it will be patched in typical fashion where the PS4 sees the advantage in framerate across the board. This release is even funnier, seeing that they are both 1080p with the same AA and AF solution minus some lighting differences, yet the PS4 version is running worse in what looks like GPU bound scenes. So the PS4 can hold a superior framerate at 1080p vs the XB1 at 900p, but this game is unique?

I'm not convinced that the CPU is the problem here as I never did in many other cases prior to, but we'll see how this plays out as things unfold.

th4tguy

Ha, man that NXgamer hate was strong. I find it funny that some are less combative against him in this particular faceoff.

I do think Bethesda will have to patch this, that is, disregarding Hines "there's nothing to see here, there are no problems" IraqGeneral.Gif..........it will be patched in typical fashion where the PS4 sees the advantage in framerate across the board. This release is even funnier, seeing that they are both 1080p with the same AA and AF solution minus some lighting differences, yet the PS4 version is running worse in what looks like GPU bound scenes. So the PS4 can hold a superior framerate at 1080p vs the XB1 at 900p, but this game is unique?

I'm not convinced that the CPU is the problem here as I never did in many other cases prior to, but we'll see how this plays out as things unfold.

If NX gamer is correct, they would have worked primarily on the xbone version using direct x and ported the game to PS4, not optimizing anything and giving it more of an overhead to contend with. I still suspect that this can be fixed through patches but I have no idea how big of a task that would be.

Xyrmellon

I almost didn't buy Fallout on Xbox due to the 0fps hysteria, but now, six hours or so in, add me to the list of folks that it's running perfectly fine for. I'm sure it's dropped some frames here and there, but I've not noticed.

Top Bottom