• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer - Fallout 4 - First look performance analysis (XBO wins?!)

Im not sure if I'm going crazy or what but I almost swear that if you have a lot of free space in your inventory it helps with performance a tad. Probably not but it sure seemed that way for me on PS4. Mind is probably playing tricks on me. I think I might test it out when I get home.

I was constantly just staying 350/350 and I was noticing quite a few drops but when I cleared myself out down to 200/350 I could have sworn the same areas werent as bad.

These games have way too many variables to accurately compare two platforms without adhering to very controlled conditions.

You'd have to have two identical saves on both platforms and visit the exact same locations, wear the same gear, engage the exact same enemies (which is random on either platform) and basically play the exact same way with the same choices made in quests, etcetera.

This is true.

I do think the complexity of these games is something that could be reined in without hurting the experience. There is no need whatsoever to be able to pick up any and every bit of trash you see. It really doesn't add anything to the game, other than more stress on the engine. Filling your house with cheese is all well and good, but not if you have to do it at 4fps.

danowat

Banned
I feel like DF was too hasty with their performance analysis. There are just too many variables to throw up something as quickly as they did.

I am thinking the same thing, either that or DF are suffering confirmation bias, be interesting to see DF revisit it.

I don't think I'd have posted if it was in line with DF, but I think opposite views are quite important.

Don't get all the NX Gamer hate, apart from being a little monotone, his technical comparisons are worthy.

I am thinking the same thing, either that or DF are suffering confirmation bias, be interesting to see DF revisit it.

I don't think I'd have posted if it was in line with DF, but I think opposite views are quite important.

Don't get all the NX Gamer hate, apart from being a little monotone, his technical comparisons are worthy.

Yeah, I generally like DF better as they seem to be much more thorough, but NXGamer does some good stuff too.

Gurish

If DF experienced some things differently than they might suffering confirmation bias? cool.

Kayant

Can't view the analysis atm but where the same areas tested? Can only really be contradictive if it was the same areas. Also has he ever showed how he captures and analysis footage? Knowing how DF does their analysis puts them above the likes of NX gamer and VHtech in my eyes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All you people saying DF was too hasty and agreeing... how do you forget they always have a preliminary, then a more thorough one that comes after, and is yet to come?

Am I wrong here with this? dark10x can you confirm?

It is usually how they always have handled these.

People are also conveniently ignoring this game is heavily HDD cache dependent (which proved it in the Xbox One HDD FO4 thread), and it can be very variable based on HDD set up, USB 3.0 or not, defreg/Rebuild Database, suspend resume, etc etc... so it will vary from even same system to system (i.e. two different XBox's).

danowat

Banned
All you people saying DF was too hasty and agreeing... how do you forget they always have a preliminary, then a more thorough one that comes after, and is yet to come?

People are also conveniently ignoring this game is heavily HDD cache dependent (which proved it in the Xbox One HDD FO4 thread), and it can be very variable based on HDD set up, USB 3.0 or not, defreg/Rebuild Database, suspend resume, etc etc... so it will vary from even same system to system (i.e. two different XBox's).

So any technical comparison is moot then?

Swarna

Not hate, but I find a lot of his coverage regarding PC versions to be misleading or incomplete. For example, in MGS5, he shows that a 750 TI performs worse than the PS4 version while using an AMD CPU and passes it off as being due to the card when really using an i3 is way better at that price range. Passing off his shitty choice of a CPU as some sort of a valid benchmark. He doesn't overclock his 750 TI, either, (from what I can remember) which is essentially free and extremely easy to do. He'll also just say a lot of stuff that comes off as ignorant/misinformed to me in general.

I think his console coverage is still solid, though (as long as you don't pay too much attention to what he's saying outside of actual performance lol).

FFMafia

Did that HDD analysis provide results for the Xbox elite hybrid drive? I have the elite console and a 5400 rpm external drive and I have the game on the external drive and I'm wondering if I should move it to the internal drive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not hate, but I find a lot of his coverage regarding PC versions to be misleading or incomplete. For example, in MGS5, he shows that a 750 TI performs worse than the PS4 version while using an AMD CPU and passes it off as being due to the card when really using an i3 is way better at that price range. Passing off his shitty choice of a CPU as some sort of a valid benchmark. He doesn't overclock his 750 TI, either, (from what I can remember) which is essentially free and extremely easy to do. He'll also just say a lot of stuff that comes off as ignorant/misinformed to me in general.

I think his console coverage is still solid, though (as long as you don't pay too much attention to what he's saying outside of actual performance lol).
Heh, that's why thelastword eats up everything he says with a spoon.

It is indeed preliminary. The full Face-Off is coming soon.

This seems like a hard game to test due to the high variability. Seems like everyone is having a different experience.

DrkSage

ill wait a couple of patches before jumping into the fallout.

also, slightly ot but...
so now NXgamer is alright and DF isnt? lol both sides have some serious issues. That thirst to prove which plastic box runs better, DF and NXgamer threads are no longer focused on tec analysis, but more of a pissing contest

What is NXGamer? We only need one of these technical look at websites please.

thats absurd-taking only one websites 'word for it' is a horrible idea- I know myself a few of my Twitter homies have had severe framedrops and crashing on PS4-(not mentioned in the DF article iirc)

Wereroku

It is indeed preliminary. The full Face-Off is coming soon.

This seems like a hard game to test due to the high variability. Seems like everyone is having a different experience.

This game is so crazy. People are seeing a crazy range of performance that seems to change depending on how long they played, what kind of HDD they have, and even if they have turned the system off lately or just put it in rest mode. Someone was also saying rebuilding the PS4 database seemed to improve the performance.

Looking at all these videos, looks like I'm going to hold off getting Fallout 4 for a long time. And I don't plan to upgrade my PC for a long time so, I won't bruteforce more performance just to play a game now.

This time I'm tired of being easy going, I'm getting too old, who gives a damn which confirmation bias you want. Bethesda performance for Fallout 4 is some rank turd, the visuals just don't justify it at all.

Man, f*** Bethesda. Fallout 3 for the PS3 was a lesson learned for me, but Bethesda don't give a damn as there is no lesson learned for them because...what's the damn point when they make money anyway?

DrkSage

Fanboy nonsense.
yep. Seems DF is either too pro sony or too pro ms and when its not helping their console of choice they jump to NXgamer to see if he is helping them instead and vice versa etc etc.

Fallout 4 is probably going to be the only game that shows us a wide range of different outcomes, but im glad cause it shows how crazy both sides are.

Dlacy13g

So ...is DF's credibility hurt by this or is NX's credibility hurt as they really do tell two different tales in terms of performance. Can they both be correct? I would think that impossible but stranger things have happened.

dark10x

So ...is DF's credibility hurt by this or is NX's credibility hurt as they really do tell two different tales in terms of performance. Can they both be correct? I would think that impossible but stranger things have happened.
I think both are correct. It's not like the frame-rate analysis lies. It's just that Fallout 4 is just too variable.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Played Fallout 4 on Xbox One for couple of hours, didn't experience anything big drop or 0fps. I use external hdd so that's probably why.

Same here. I did get a bit of stuttering approaching Diamond City, but outside of that it's been okay.

Kama_1082

Banned
I think both are correct. It's not like the frame-rate analysis lies. It's just that Fallout 4 is just too variable.

I had a chance to play the PS4 version of FO4 and didn't get that bad of a drop where you were at, but Xbox One did and vice versa. The problems are everywhere.

Vinc

Yeah it seems like it. Can't wait for the full DF analysis, I hope it dives as deep as possible and attempts to explain some of the variation. I also hope we get performance patches for the game.

kingwingin

Also DF went further to diamond city while NX just finished the deathclaw fight and we know ps4 drops a lot more during that battle.

Head.spawn

It's a massive game, it probably needed a bit more time to see try the different systems, see the different areas to get a feel. Because, they noted the 0-fps thing was said in the article to be unique to Xbox, which I took as gospel, then the first footage someone linked me to (Giantbomb live stream of the PS4 version) had that same 0-fps bug a few times as well and the huge drops when in combat.

Then I saw my friend stream the game on Xbox and didn't see the glitch at all; but then the next day DF did the updated note about external drives, so that pointed out the problem there. Now people in here claiming its fine with stock drives too...

The game seems far to buggy and unreliable to take a simple straight forward test like other games, there seems to be too many variables to point to one specific set of performance. For instance, I thought the FPS drop during gunplay to be easily a bigger problem than the conclusion drew, that's a big difference IMO. Maybe someone else would be more affected by the drops elsewhere, so I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Either way, it would be hard to take either analysis as definitive unless they have put in 20-30 hours on each system to find all of the nuances, which isn't feasible.

Hanzaki

Neo Member
I've played 25 hours or so on PS4. I had some stuttering here and there but other than that nothing major or unplayable. Pretty consistent framerate most of the time, with some noticable frame dropps in some cases (heavy fight situations).
Maybe I'm super lucky but I'm starting to feel that some of these "PS4 is unplayable" reports are just not true...

Yeah I know I'm really far from the end and nowhere near close to check every location of the game but still.

I had several crashes during the transitions between indoor and outside areas. For me those were waaaaay more annoying than a 2-second stuttering in a 30-40 minutes or so play session...

So far for me this game is the smoothes experince from all the Bethesda game I played before (like all of them).

Seems that XB1 in general has an advantage in combat while PS4 has advantages in other areas (as demonstrated by DF). Pretty much a shit show all around.

How does PC performance hold up in the long term? Does it severely drop, even on powerful machines? Or are PC beast CPUs the saving grace?

I had the worst frame drops today on PS4 (it was the worst but not the only one, I've experienced quite a few)

https://youtu.be/ul1EfLPFdbo

Oh my god.

Yaqoub

While I think DF does a good job with their analysis, NX Gamer takes it to another level.

I really enjoy his videos. Especially the lengthy ones.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So any technical comparison is moot then?

Where did I say that?

What I did say, and dark10x proved me correct, is that people are all of a sudden dismissing DF (probably because this NX analysis fits their purchase comfort zone), when in fact, the game is variable across the board, even on two same machines.

It is a clear caching issue.

FranXico

Isn't that the truth. Which shows since how their games load in cubes still, they are very HDD cache dependent. So if the two systems have different fragmentation or clogged cache partitions, the results will vary.

This is the most likely explanation.

When all is said and done, Bethesda make From Software look like technical wizards in comparison.

Durante

The only truly valid way to do a comparison across something as obviously dependent on secondary storage as FO4 would be to run it on multiple instances of each console, with the same HDD/SSD technology each.

And then reproduce the exact same scenario. Which is probably impossible, given how many pseudorandom factors there are in a game like this.

Heh, that's why thelastword eats up everything he says with a spoon.
For some reason I doubt he's too enthused about this one though.

dark10x

While I think DF does a good job with their analysis, NX Gamer takes it to another level.

I really enjoy his videos. Especially the lengthy ones.
Not to compare, but be sure to check out the Tomb Raider video I did this week. I put a ton of effort into it but Fallout-mania caused it to become ignored. It's almost 20 minutes long!

a916

jrcKxVR.png

This is fake right?

KevinG

Not to compare, but be sure to check out the Tomb Raider video I did this week. I put a ton of effort into it but Fallout-mania caused it to become ignored. It's almost 20 minutes long!

I'll be sure to check that one out. Buying Tomb Raider for my wife here in a week or two.

Top Bottom