• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: God of War: From PS2 to PS4 A god amongst Playstation returns

R_Deckard

That was a quality review of the series and tech. The detailed section on the new god of war has me really looking forward to what they can do on with the PS4.

Zedark

Great video, really interesting discussion of the tech developments along with a great, more in-depth discussion of the newest God of War game!

I just finished GOW3, and I have to say what struck me is the low quality textures on non-important characters. Random people and even some gods look rather bad (Hera and Aphrodite, for example) while Kratos looks great, and for example Hefaistos does as well. The new God of War seems much more consistent in that regard, at least from what we've seen so far.

Shin-Ra

"... increased the PSP's CPU frequency by 33%"

*50%

I'm not sure what's being said at 6:36 before MLAA. Farminoccy?

boinx

Aaahh now I wanna play all the games again. Well maybe leave ascension out but yeah all the ones that came before that.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Aaahh now I wanna play all the games again. Well maybe leave ascension out but yeah all the ones that came before that.

I loved Ascension, best combat in the series, some spectacular fights as well.

Where is my PS4 remaster!?

NXGamer

Great video, really interesting discussion of the tech developments along with a great, more in-depth discussion of the newest God of War game!

I just finished GOW3, and I have to say what struck me is the low quality textures on non-important characters. Random people and even some gods look rather bad (Hera and Aphrodite, for example) while Kratos looks great, and for example Hefaistos does as well. The new God of War seems much more consistent in that regard, at least from what we've seen so far.
Yes I agree, I think it was Hephaestus that had a really low quality skin, normals etc which looked quite bad in the game. But, as you say, others were really high and the quality varied, such an impressive title though, when I played it for the first time I just kept think, "nah, this cannot be topped" then the Cronos battle happened...

"... increased the PSP's CPU frequency by 33%"

*50%

I'm not sure what's being said at 6:36 before MLAA. Farminoccy?
As I recall it was 222mhz up to 333mhz, so a clean 3rd increase.

Sorry, my accent strikes, I said they farmed of the MLAA to the SPU's rather then the Gpu.

VDenter

Banned
Man i am still impressed by how good Ascension looks. It was a hugely missed opportunity not to pack the single player from that game into the God Of war 3 Remastered for PS4. I mean they always packed in two games when they made the HD remasters of the first two God of War games and the PSP games on the PS3.

So I'm playing ascension for the first time right now and I'm shocked that the series on ps3 doesn't look nearly as good as I remembered and the ps4 one is such a huge jump

Ascension looks great overall though but it shows how far this gen has come

Mameshiba

Neo Member
Yes I agree, I think it was Hephaestus that had a really low quality skin, normals etc which looked quite bad in the game. But, as you say, others were really high and the quality varied, such an impressive title though, when I played it for the first time I just kept think, "nah, this cannot be topped" then the Cronos battle happened...

As I recall it was 222mhz up to 333mhz, so a clean 3rd increase.

Sorry, my accent strikes, I said they farmed of the MLAA to the SPU's rather then the Gpu.

That is a 50% increase though :p

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
there is no doubt in my mind with each entry God of War improved from both visual and gameplay but also the story got worst.

one thing love about the first game no matter how much he thinks gods trick him at end of the day he was the one decided to sell his soul to Ares in order to survive. he was spartan commander, it should have been honour to die in battle but he got scared and beg Ares save at cost of his soul. But later game they try make BS excuse for him that he wasn't at fault and gods were corrupted by fear.

NXGamer

That is a 50% increase though :p
Lol, I am a muppet, indeed. I meant the reduction from its actual speed, sorry.

Dynamic Camera is the thing im gonna miss the most going forward in the series.

I know exactly what you mean, but we can see they still use it at points, I feel they have kept much back from show...and I applaud that.

I don't remember seeing this environment in the trailers I've watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8rkchXIFUs#t=14m30s

I've just seen the 2 E3 showings I believe. Did I miss some footage? That's the type of environmental variations I want to see.
Yes, this was from the latest trailer, the variety in the game looks to be pushing onwards with a good selection of locales.

This is running on a standard PS4...This is running on a standard PS4...I might end up believing it!
Indeed it is, native 1080 and running well. I do think it will be a capped 30 upon final release with the Pro having an uncapped option..or maybe both will as before with Pro having Vsync engaged always.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This comparison blew me away. I knew it looked better but it blows away the last gen model which I thought looked next gen when i played it last week.

eGuLzPI.jpg

That said, i like the original reveal version of Kratos better. He had a thicker beard and a rounded face. Why change it???

E2KRl16.png

Better lighting helps, but he looked much better last year.

Have we heard much about the boss fights, yet? With the change in gameplay, I've been curious as to how it'll affect huge encounters like that.

@ NXGamer great vide. Keep the good work.
Small correction: GOW3 debut wasn't in 2009 but at the end of 2008 at VGA we got a small early rushed teaser.

GOW2 was also a technical achievement for PS2 at that time, not just for the pure graphics and details but also it had a secret mode you have to unlock by pressing certain buttons at the title screen which unlocks a HD mode on PS2, yes on PS2, but with sacrificing FPS.

Since GOW3, the series had great muscle deformations and flexes, either nose or biceps or chest etc... The cyclops had jiggly bellies too and mush more. Since the game doesn't use LOD, you can still see Kratos' muscles flex even from far away camera point when a titan was holding him and looking like an ant.
Guts and intestines were modeled inside enemies and they were jiggling inside of them until you cut their bellies and expose them.

I don't think GOW on PS4 uses the same old but refined engine from the previous installments but rather a new engine. In fact Cory said that they have been working on this for more than 5 years now.
Cory said at the E3 panel that before having their hair tech, Atreus was going to be bald, but Cory didn't like the look of him, that is why he pushed his team to develop a hair tech to get him hair. Since the hair tech was so nice, they added a full beard to Kratos.
GOW PS4 doesn't look better thanks to better textures or more polycount or increased resolution only but also the integration of PBR made the game more life-like.
You mentioned it in your vidoe about the casutics casting on Kratos at the cave.
Water caustics don't cast on him there only but also at the beginning and on the boat too.
In case some of you don't know how the trick was used before in some games for caustics: generally devs never use real water caustics physics to get reflections but settle for a trick to simulate the effect of it on the surroundings. They use dynamic textures which emulate that effect. Since those aren't real reflections, you only see the caustics on surfaces of the surroudings only and not on characters. Most of the games that ever used it are FPS games like Dear Esther, since you don't have a main character to cast caustics refelctions on but third person games who used it had the surfaces displaying that effect but not on characters like in MGS2 at the battle against Vamp.
Here in GOW, it seems water caustics are used as real light sources and if a character is obstructing them they cast the caustics on him and on other moving objects similar to any ligth source but it here it is dynamic that is why you see them on Kratos and on the moving boat.

ss_lemonade

@ NXGamer
GOW2 was also a technical achievement for PS2 at that time, not just for the pure graphics and details but also it had a secret mode you have to unlock by pressing certain buttons at the title screen which unlocks a HD mode on PS2, yes on PS2, but with sacrificing FPS.
HD mode? I remember it just being a full 480p framebuffer mode or something, nothing close to 720p

HD mode? I remember it just being a full 480p framebuffer mode or something, nothing close to 720p

It was a 720i mode on the US version but it had FPS hiccups since it was very demanding. For the EU version, SSM toned it down to 576p but it was more optimized and ran better. It also ran well on the plasma screens of that time since HD TVs weren't that widespread at that time.
IGN talked about it in depth at that time.

Wake me up when he's killing God's from modern religions. Sucks that we'll have to probably wait a few centuries until society as a whole is comfortable with something like that.

You are correct. The "HD" mode just increased the back buffer size to match the output buffer, so there was no scaling in the rendering. It did this at the cost of some texture streaming memory, and didn't receive enough testing to be enabled by default.

This comparison blew me away. I knew it looked better but it blows away the last gen model which I thought looked next gen when i played it last week.

eGuLzPI.jpg

That said, i like the original reveal version of Kratos better. He had a thicker beard and a rounded face. Why change it???

E2KRl16.png

Better lighting helps, but he looked much better last year.

maybe they lied about not having sex games in the game

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Would have liked much more on God of War III instead of time spent on PSP Remasters as it's still to this day one of the most ridiculous showcases of hardware I've ever seen, especially the first hour.

Overall still a good video though. Keep up the good work NX!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Ascension can be still mistaken for a current-gen game. I am surprised Sony didn't release a remaster for it on PS4. It didn't flop that hard tbh, to be neglected to such extent.

What's really puzzling is that GoW3 was ported quickly by a tiny studio with only a few employees IIRC, I just assumed Ascension would follow 6 months later.

It's better looking than many PS4 games, could only imagine how good a 4K version could look

Great video!
I think God of War was the first game as a kid that made me really start getting interested in video game technology due to it's sheer technical prowess, so this was a great comparison retrospective.

What SSM are achieving on PS4 is ridiculously impressive, it's the best looking PS4 game out there for me.

In my mind, I always think SSM and ND are trying to outdo each other to the nth degree because no 1st party studio churns out technical achievements consistently like them on PS.

Edit: I actually remember an ND interview at E3 where someone basically hinted that SSM came to them for guidance to figure out how to do Atreus' AI thanks to their experience crafting Ellie for TLoU. So it's also great to know they also help each other out.

Top Bottom