• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXOE Monthly Updates |OT| OS features for the pre-season, games for the Holidays!

Trying not to be irritated that I'm in 'the small group' - realize we are helping them test, but really want to be able to hide things from the download list again.

Hopefully not in that 'small group' for all future preview releases now!

wowzors

The new update causes my watch tv to go blue when I switch inputs on my receiver and come back.

Like if I switch to DVD on the receiver to play ps4 and comeback to cable/sat on the receiver to go back to watching tv which is running through the Xbox one. The screen will be like bright blue.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I've noticed the "My Games and Apps" tile images are now all cached, so when you switch between "Games", "Apps", and "Queue", it's fast and smooth since all the images are already loaded.

I've noticed the "My Games and Apps" tile images are now all cached, so when you switch between "Games", "Apps", and "Queue", it's fast and smooth since all the images are already loaded.
Good eye! That's the kind of smoothness I expected from NXOE. Feels good.

This isn't terribly on topic, but can anyone speak on the overall performance difference between having the Xbox One plugged directly into the wall vs a power strip? That seems to be a pretty common response to people posting about game and app performance issues on Reddit, but I haven't seen anyone break down what the performance degradation is when on a power strip. So is it just a myth, or is there significant truth to it? I'm not in the position to easily test it out myself, but I'd make it happen if, hypothetically, it would improve the Metal Gear Solid V stutter or frame dropping during video streaming.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Good eye! That's the kind of smoothness I expected from NXOE. Feels good.

This isn't terribly on topic, but can anyone speak on the overall performance difference between having the Xbox One plugged directly into the wall vs a power strip? That seems to be a pretty common response to people posting about game and app performance issues on Reddit, but I haven't seen anyone break down what the performance degradation is when on a power strip. So is it just a myth, or is there significant truth to it? I'm not in the position to easily test it out myself, but I'd make it happen if, hypothetically, it would improve the Metal Gear Solid V stutter or frame dropping during video streaming.
Power strips are fine, I believe the issue is with surge protectors. The XBO power brick already has a surge protector, and if you plug it into another it might mess something up with the power draw, in which case you should just plug into a standard socket.

Forsythia

Trying not to be irritated that I'm in 'the small group' - realize we are helping them test, but really want to be able to hide things from the download list again.

Hopefully not in that 'small group' for all future preview releases now!

It's a bit weird it's taking so long, I guess we'll get the new release when non-preview members get it too. ;)

etta

my hard graphic balls
One should be in the wall? I may have to fix mine then.
I really, really doubt that there's a performance impact if you plug it into a power strip.
That would be a monumentally poor design oversight.
The power supply normally draws as much power as is needed before feeding it to the motherboard.

mcrommert

Banned
I really, really doubt that there's a performance impact if you plug it into a power strip.
That would be a monumentally poor design oversight.
The power supply normally draws as much power as is needed before feeding it to the motherboard.

My understanding is that since there is a surge protector built into the block it can cause weird interference issues with certain power strips

no performance issues...it either works or it doesn't

That's what I thought. Seeing people mention it so surely many times made me curious, but at the same time it also seemed like people were just parroting something they heard as fact with no one explaining themself. I was skeptical. Thank you for the informed responses!

sniffy

Neo Member
I have to vent. I convinced a friend to grab an Xbox One as we were both interested in Halo 5 co-op and online. We're setting up his console and lo and behold, issues I experienced myself BACK IN 2014 ARE STILL ISSUES. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

We queued up MCC and Halo 5 and let them sit. We come back and both installations had stopped, and his NAT was moderate. We restarted the console, go away again and when we come back the installations had moved 3% and 9% respectively before stopping. His NAT had again dropped to moderate. He is also complaining now about Instant On causing issues if he doesn't reset the console every few days.

HOW. IS. THIS. STILL. HAPPENING. IN. 2016.

NXOE is just as big of a pile of crap as the old UI. I thought the issues persisting on my Sunset Xbox One were just the result of NXOE being installed over the top, but his brand new Xbox One is demonstrating the same issues the console had years ago.

How can the biggest OS developer in the world be so incredibly incompetent? NXOE was nothing more than a facelift obviously because the fundamental codebase and all it's flaws is still present.

Meanwhile, my PS4 only ever is restarted after a patch and can go months without a single OS bug.

Rant over.

TheKeyPit

Banned
^wireless?

---

FarCry just launched on its own. Prior to that I wanted to submit feedback and there was a problem with the preview app itself.

Kingbrave

New update tonight. 369mb.

HOW TO GET IT:
If your console is in Instant-On mode and you were selected to receive the update, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
NOTE: Once the update is available to you (today a majority of Preview users will receive this update but a small group will not), you can manually begin the update by navigating to Settings > System and selecting System Update.
If your console has been selected to receive the update and hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PST 2/14/2016, you will be prompted to do so at that time.
DETAILS:
OS version released: th2_xb_rel_1602.160210-2122
Available: 6:00PM PST 2/12 (2:00AM GMT 13/2)
Fixes:
Game DVR. Fixed an issue in which game clips would sometimes reappear after being deleted.
Parties. Fixed an issue which could cause users to be removed from a party with no notification after sharing content or launching profile selection.
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_a...review_forums/nxoe_1602/f/5578/t/2120592.aspx
(This link will only work for preview members)

Head.spawn

I have to vent. I convinced a friend to grab an Xbox One as we were both interested in Halo 5 co-op and online. We're setting up his console and lo and behold, issues I experienced myself BACK IN 2014 ARE STILL ISSUES. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

We queued up MCC and Halo 5 and let them sit. We come back and both installations had stopped, and his NAT was moderate. We restarted the console, go away again and when we come back the installations had moved 3% and 9% respectively before stopping. His NAT had again dropped to moderate. He is also complaining now about Instant On causing issues if he doesn't reset the console every few days.

NXOE is just as big of a pile of crap as the old UI. I thought the issues persisting on my Sunset Xbox One were just the result of NXOE being installed over the top, but his brand new Xbox One is demonstrating the same issues the console had years ago.

How can the biggest OS developer in the world be so incredibly incompetent? NXOE was nothing more than a facelift obviously because the fundamental codebase and all it's flaws is still present.

Meanwhile, my PS4 only ever is restarted after a patch and can go months without a single OS bug.

Rant over.

Aren't NAT issues almost always down to the router?

Also, I've been on instant-on since it was labeled beta; no related issues.

Fucking finally.

Aren't NAT issues almost always down to the router?

Also, I've been on instant-on since it was labeled beta; no related issues.

I think so. My NAT has been open since I forwarded the correct ports on my router. Some games might report otherwise, but the Xbox One network settings always says open.

I've also been instant-on since it was a beta feature. Maybe there's an issue with it keeping the setting when you change it?

Gwyn

Rant over.

I disabled Teredo-Filter on my router + set "Exposed Host" for xbone so all ports are open and never had any problem with NAT.

dity

I swear one of the recent automatic uodates for the NXOE caused my console to go crazy. It flooded my network and I was getting like 800ms ping across my network (including slowing my Internet to a crawl). I called my ISP because I thought it was a problem on their end, and it all cleared up when I unplugged it from the wall. Neither I nor the guy on the phone could figure out why it was doing it - I'm not even in the beta program.

I skipped the latest update so that I could save and quit my game, and now the whole fucking thing is fucked up. It refuses to go online and there is literally no way for me to restart the update. Going to settings shows that now update is available. This is fucking incredible. Literally nothing is fixing it - soft reboots, hard reboots, resetting the WiFi, yanking the power.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I skipped the latest update so that I could save and quit my game, and now the whole fucking thing is fucked up. It refuses to go online and there is literally no way for me to restart the update. Going to settings shows that now update is available. This is fucking incredible. Literally nothing is fixing it - soft reboots, hard reboots, resetting the WiFi, yanking the power.
Have you tried to clear cache?
Hold power button on the console for 10 seconds, wait another 15, then boot it normally.
Edit: Some say Live is down, so maybe that's the problem?

Having troubles with the Twitch app since the last update. When I open it, everything works fine, with previews of my followed channels, etc. showing up great. The minute I want to watch a stream and click one, though, the image turns solid black. I can still see the chat going, but can't actually watch streams.

I have tried hard resets + doing a "restart console" from the guide with no luck.

Any tips friends?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Having troubles with the Twitch app since the last update. When I open it, everything works fine, with previews of my followed channels, etc. showing up great. The minute I want to watch a stream and click one, though, the image turns solid black. I can still see the chat going, but can't actually watch streams.

I have tried hard resets + doing a "restart console" from the guide with no luck.

Any tips friends?
Delete and reinstall the app.

Chris1

Just received a message from xbox live telling me I can get a code for Gigantic beta in the Beta Games and Apps app.

Limited number of codes.

Chris1

Is there a reason I still hear people in multiplayer even though I create a party to avoid that?
There's an option to switch to party chat but sometimes it doesn't really work for me.. I just assumed it was down to being the only person in the party but yeah it's annoying in games where you can't mute others :(

mcrommert

Banned

Rant over.

It's your router...xbox uses an ipv6to4 tunnel so nat issues are magnified

Try different firmware or get a new router

What are you using anyways

ryan299

There's an option to switch to party chat but sometimes it doesn't really work for me.. I just assumed it was down to being the only person in the party but yeah it's annoying in games where you can't mute others :(

I do it all the time but haven't had a problem until this past month.

malfcn

Found a silly bug and reported it.

Tried to comment on s community post from Quantum Break, with a question.

There is no question (?) mark.
On the keyboard there was an exclamation (!) and pressing lt showed another exclamation (!).

While reporting it in the preview app, the keyboard was correct and had the question mark.

How long has this slipped through the cracks?

Never mind.
Using shift changes the mark.
Just weird seeing the mark on two screens.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Found a silly bug and reported it.

Tried to comment on s community post from Quantum Break, with a question.

There is no question (?) mark.
On the keyboard there was an exclamation (!) and pressing lt showed another exclamation (!).

While reporting it in the preview app, the keyboard was correct and had the question mark.

How long has this slipped through the cracks?
Probably because no one goes to Activity Feed on Xbox One to ask questions. ;P

Anyone else having issues with the achievements in the console social app and Xbox app on Windows 10? Random achievements lists do not show up, and there are randomly ones from 2011 mixed in between games I played in August last year.

I have played well over 800 titles on my account, but the list only shows around 200-300 games. When comparing games with friends, the list shows 0G for games not showing up until I actually click on the game. All achievements show up fine on the website and on smartglass, so I'm guessing this is an issue with their servers for the Xbox app.

Before I had this issue with only Xbox One games, but now it also affects 360 titles also.

Chris1

Anyone else having issues with the achievements in the console social app and Xbox app on Windows 10? Random achievements lists do not show up, and there are randomly ones from 2011 mixed in between games I played in August last year.

I have played well over 800 titles on my account, but the list only shows around 200-300 games. When comparing games with friends, the list shows 0G for games not showing up until I actually click on the game. All achievements show up fine on the website and on smartglass, so I'm guessing this is an issue with their servers for the Xbox app.

Before I had this issue with only Xbox One games, but now it also affects 360 titles also.

Yes, I've noticed it for a few people who don't have an xbox one yet who's achievements don't show at all.

Using the Xbox app on win 10.

I seem to have found the achievement issue. The Xbox/Social app is only reading what is in the most recent list and does not display anything beyond even when switching to the Xbox One or Other tabs. I played a game that was previously not showing up and now a game that was showing at the bottom of the list is no longer there.

What I still don't understand is why about 50 games I have not played since 2011 are showing up in between games I played in August/September 2015.

Would the preview forums be the best place to report this issue or would it not be a preview issue since it is also affecting the Windows 10 app?

Do I have to opt-in to the Preview Program again even if I was in it previously? If so how, as my Preview Prog App is still fucked - and has been for a while - where it can't instal/update. My notification bar is 11+ messages of 'failed to install'.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Do I have to opt-in to the Preview Program again even if I was in it previously? If so how, as my Preview Prog App is still fucked - and has been for a while - where it can't instal/update. My notification bar is 11+ messages of 'failed to install'.
Err, no, not unless you switched consoles.
Unless you de-enrolled, at which point I don't think you can rejoin.

Err, no, not unless you switched consoles.
Unless you de-enrolled, at which point I don't think you can rejoin.

Nope, still using the same day-1 console.

Like I say, my preview app if it is still in use with the quests and stuff fucked up about 3/4 patches before the preview-NXOE app.

PaulLFC

I hope proper dts hd audio updates come..

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/253802-home-settings/suggestions/6029319-proper-hd-audio-support

I didnt know it wouldnt pass any bluray dtshd through.. So im using 7.1 uncompressed but still.. Doesnt seem right. Gah...
On a vaguely related note (AV) I wish it'd do video passthrough when the console is off. I've avoided the TV functions because the console has to be on in order to watch TV at all - whereas if I plug the box into my AV receiver, it will feed the signal to my TV if the box is switched off for whatever reason - so I don't actually need it switched on in order to get a video signal (although it's hardly ever switched off, unlike the XB1).

On a vaguely related note (AV) I wish it'd do video passthrough when the console is off. I've avoided the TV functions because the console has to be on in order to watch TV at all - whereas if I plug the box into my AV receiver, it will feed the signal to my TV if the box is switched off for whatever reason - so I don't actually need it switched on in order to get a video signal (although it's hardly ever switched off, unlike the XB1).

Yeah sometimes i re-think my set up. I have it going through the xbox right now but with info that the audio output is somewhat limited, kinda sours me. I was hoping that the uncompressed 7.1 would allow my receiver to decode the signal correctly for any dts-hd/dolby hd codec and etc. It just always sits in multi-channel in. yaaaaaayyyy..

EvB

It doesn't have the required hardware to enable that, plus half of the point of running the TV through it would be lost as you'd no longer have the Xbox EPG etc available.
You could buy some kind of hdmi auto switch for a tenner and it would do what you describe

I hope proper dts hd audio updates come..

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/253802-home-settings/suggestions/6029319-proper-hd-audio-support

I didnt know it wouldnt pass any bluray dtshd through.. So im using 7.1 uncompressed but still.. Doesnt seem right. Gah...

In general I hope Microsoft does some work to audio. I've set the machine to output in stereo, but it still forces Netflix to output in 5.1.

Its weird as hell, and makes me super paranoid that it also happens in games and I'm missing out on audio.

(oh and they should add HDMI CEC if it's even possible)

Top Bottom