• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times - Okami Lovefest

dyls

review

The game, from Clover Studios, is everything I was hoping for, a visually dazzling, imaginative action-adventure game that stands apart from the crowd.
The game is very reminiscent of the Legend of Zelda series, and is at least as good as those games.
But over all, this game is so visually striking, so original and so well done that most other game designers should look at it and then hang their heads in shame. It is proof that the important thing in game design is not the graphical processing power of the game console but the power of the designer’s imagination.

Also, an interesting view into the more casual observer's opinion on the direction of games.

I saw hundreds of games in development at E3, and they all looked pretty much alike. There were a bunch of first-person shooters I couldn’t tell apart, strategy games that looked the way strategy games always look and cartoony action adventures that looked like the previous year’s crop. Public relations people were praising the improved graphics of the brand-new Xbox 360, boasting that you could see the players’ sweat in a sports game, but to me the 360 games were just slightly sweatier versions of the games that had come out the year before.

Nothing too new, just reiteration that the opinions of GAF rarely reflect the world at large.

AniHawk

360 games were just slightly sweatier versions of the games that had come out the year before.

Yeah, but imagine what Okami could've been on a next-gen console with improved physics and lighting. That's where the true next step in game design is, not "imagination"

bud

Musashi Wins! said:
Awesome. And true.

I wish this game wasn't going to bomb.

Well, it did about 250k in japan (i think) and a total of 500k worldwide would be pretty good for this game.

gconsole

Bud said:
Well, it did about 250k in japan (i think) and a total of 500k worldwide would be pretty good for this game.

In fact it only did around 130k in japan :(
hopefully the world will get more attention to this game.

Ryun1

They are hit and miss when it comes to game-related stuff.
On the NYT's new Tech Talk podcast dated yesterday, the reporters, obviously reading from a press release, express dismay over the Wii’s nunchuk attachment.

J.D. Biersdorfer: “It also comes with a nunchuk controller. I guess there’ll be some kind of martial arts thing, perhaps”

Tom Holcomb: “Oh, boy. I’m not sure that’s a great idea.”

J.D. Biersdorfer: “Yeah, I guess it depends on the age of your kids and whether you want them nunchuking each other on the head.”

Tom Holcomb: “Remember what Bruce Lee did to teenagers with those nunchuks.

J.D. Biersdorfer: “It can be a little aggressive, perhaps, but they’re also encouraging community.”

Starts at 4:43 in the podcast
http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/podcasts/techtalk.xml

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ryun1 said:
On the NYT's new Tech Talk podcast dated yesterday, the reporters, obviously reading from a press release, express dismay over the Wii’s nunchuk attachment.

J.D. Biersdorfer: “It also comes with a nunchuk controller. I guess there’ll be some kind of martial arts thing, perhaps”

J.D. Biersdorfer: “Yeah, I guess it depends on the age of your kids and whether you want them nunchuking each other on the head.”

J.D. Biersdorfer: “It can be a little aggressive, perhaps, but they’re also encouraging community.”

christ that's so stupid

Ryun1 said:

*headdesk*

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
beelzebozo said:
because they're not condescending.

yeah, screw those hoity toity ny times movie critics with their "insight" and their "individuality" and their "signs of cognitive activity." it's like they think they're better than me.

i dunno -- i guess i only read the arts section and the book review, but i expected an ny times piece about okami to be...you know...interesting.

Ranger X

I thought those opinions up there (except maybe the 360 related one) was pretty much what we hear on GAF.
Personally i have to agree with the opinions in question.

at least I can sleep at night as a gamer with the knowledge that I've done what I can to support this beautiful game (i.e. I bought the damn thing)

dyls

drohne said:
yeah, screw those hoity toity ny times movie critics with their "insight" and their "individuality" and their "signs of cognitive activity." it's like they think they're better than me.

i dunno -- i guess i only read the arts section and the book review, but i expected an ny times piece about okami to be...you know...interesting.

Yeah, they're game reviews (and general coverage) aren't nearly up to the standards of the rest of the 'Arts' sections. I tell you, games don't get no regard, none at all. No esteem either.

We need Manhola Dargis reviewing games.

Teleporter

Saturday ill be playing this masterpiece! Nice...
Oh anyone knows if this game supports widescreen and Progressive Scan 512p?

Thanks!

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Hopefully we see Okami 2 next gen. In fact, lets being the campaign!

In an interview the big Clover Studios guy was talking about how new IPs keep things fresh, not sequels. So I dunno if they have plans on sequel-izing it.

Solid

Teleporter said:
Saturday ill be playing this masterpiece! Nice...
Oh anyone knows if this game supports widescreen and Progressive Scan 512p?

Thanks!
No WS. I saw some people cry about it in the official thread.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
DarknessTear said:
In an interview the big Clover Studios guy was talking about how new IPs keep things fresh, not sequels. So I dunno if they have plans on sequel-izing it.

Not sequelizing? Capcom? :lol

They've already run Viewtiful Joe into the ground.

Though Okami would be a different matter, I think...

Teleporter

Solid said:
No WS. I saw some people cry about it in the official thread.

No progressive scan them? No "hold X button on boot screen stuff?" ... Too bad!
I bet it still looks amazing though!

Oblivion said:

He actually mentioned how VJ2 was unsuccessful compared to VJ1.

DarknessTear said:

i really hope Capcom takes care of this series as well as Nintendo does with Zelda.

This game makes me feel "good"

Oblivion said:

Don't ban me, but with the amount of chatter for how this game should go to the Wii, I wouldn't put it out of our minds for a sequel on that console. However, with the current state of cel-sading in games like Trusty Bell, I would totally love a full blown sequel on the PS3 and/or 360. Make it happen!
DarknessTear said:
I can see that.

Put it on Wii. It'll get a few more sales, even if it doesn't outsell the PS2 version. It should really fit in well with who you'd assume the early adapters of Wii will be.

Cronox

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yeah, but imagine what Okami could've been on a next-gen console with improved physics and lighting. That's where the true next step in game design is, not "imagination"

Too bad they'd never raise the budget for a game like this on 360 or PS3...

TheGreatDave said:
Put it on Wii. It'll get a few more sales, even if it doesn't outsell the PS2 version. It should really fit in well with who you'd assume the early adapters of Wii will be.

Already been talked about before, they say it won't work on the Wii because it's an action game designed for the PS2 controller.

Baker

Banned
Teleporter said:
No progressive scan them? No "hold X button on boot screen stuff?" ... Too bad!
I bet it still looks amazing though!

Not according to the Gamespot review. No 480p and no 16x9.

Branduil

DarknessTear said:
Already been talked about before, they say it won't work on the Wii because it's an action game designed for the PS2 controller.

what6dj.jpg

Branduil said:
Oh Christ. Clover specifically designed it for the Dual Shock controller. This is the exact reason why the only way we might find this on the Wii is through a sequel, where they'd have to create a whole new engine for the mechanics.

Branduil

Mr. Spinnington said:
Oh Christ. Clover specifically designed it for the Dual Shock controller. This is the exact reason why the only way we might find this on the Wii is through a sequel, where they'd have to create a whole new engine for the mechanics.

The Dual Shock is an extremely generic controller. From what I played of the demo the game is great, but I don't see how it's use of the Dual Shock was so unique as to make it unportable.

Solid

Thats one of the things I like most about Clover. They seem to go for original games. Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand etc. Keep it that way please.

mugwhump

AniHawk said:
... I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. X|

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
Okami takes cues from Zelda but so far it is NOTHING compared to Zelda. Whoever thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

I ****ing think otherwise, and I'm not fooling myself either. You're starting to sound bitter.

White Man

Himuro said:
Okami takes cues from Zelda but so far it is NOTHING compared to Zelda. Whoever thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

This is by a decent margin better than any of the 3D Zeldas.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Himuro said:

Woah. Weren't you hyped to hell on this game?

White Man said:
This is by a decent margin better than any of the 3D Zeldas.
Well, unless at the very middle it makes you go on the best fetch quest ever, you're wrong.

Top Bottom