• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

LifEndz

Or stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take pics

This and the sudden stop on a dime to gawk at yet another bug building. Oh and a group of four or more walking abreast of each other. For fucks sake, people, some of us aren't here on vacation!

Also started whistling at people who are looking down at their phone while walking towards me. It gets their attention so I don't have to try to dodge them bumping into me.

Staab

Hitting up NYC with my GF at the end of the month, thanks for all the helpful information in here guys !
I have one question relating to traveling within the city: we'll be staying in Brooklyn and will be there for 4 full days, we usually like to walk around a lot but we're bound to take the subway and/or buses. Anything you guys would recommend to save up on cash/hassle (maybe a week pass or something?)?

Cheers ;)

LifEndz

Hitting up NYC with my GF at the end of the month, thanks for all the helpful information in here guys !
I have one question relating to traveling within the city: we'll be staying in Brooklyn and will be there for 4 full days, we usually like to walk around a lot but we're bound to take the subway and/or buses. Anything you guys would recommend to save up on cash/hassle (maybe a week pass or something?)?

Cheers ;)

Here you go http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#7day. Info on the different types of passes. You also might want to look into downloading the "Lfyt" app. I think you get 50.00 in free rides (10.00 max applied per ride) in case you guys don't feel like dealing with public transportation. If you're staying near the Brooklyn Bridge, I'd recommend walking across it. Great photo op of lower Manhattan and lower Manhattan has a lot of historic buildings and areas. The ferry to Staten Island is free so you can ride it and catch a glance of the statue of liberty. There's also the ground zero memorial. Hope you guys enjoy your trip!

Avixph

1. Welllington does and I think bob_arctor lived in the South Bronx once upon a time. I have family and friends that live in The Bronx but haven't visited in any in a while. The only time I'm in The Bronx these days is to go to the Target on 225th.

2. Short answer: Yes, the interest is there so I plan to kick off the first one (unless there's any takers) for February but hope that if things go well, future meet ups will have different organizers since it's actually pretty fun organizing them.

Long answer: It seems like the general consensus is down for a board game theme or involves games in some capacity with the traditional bar hopping for everyone else who sticks around. I still haven't written the thread content and I'm still scouting locations but places I'm considering include The Uncommons, Reichenbach Hall (good to bring games to), and The Gaf (west side). I'm open to other suggestions since nothing has been set in stone.

RE: "Rude New Yorkers" myth: As long you don't clog up a busy sidewalk to take a selfie with a stick and/or walk incredibly slow, we love tourists and are happy to give directions/suggest places of interest. The easiest way to tell tourists apart from New Yorkers is if they're carrying the MTA subway map around.
Thanks.

entremet

Does anyone else live on the Bronx? Also is there going to be another NYC meetup?

I actually do. Moved here from Inwood, where they raised my rents like crazy.

I could go back to the City, but then that would mean roommates. I like living alone, so I found a cheap 1 bedroom in the Bx.

I think the Bronx is the next spot to gentrify.

I could go back to the City, but then that would mean roommates. I like living alone, so I found a cheap 1 bedroom in the Bx.

you lived in Inwood? i was just talking to Jipan about that in another thread. was born and raised there awesome!

entremet

you lived in Inwood? i was just talking to Jipan about that in another thread. was born and raised there awesome!

Yeah. Management companies are buying up a lot of the buildings up there and looking to raise rents.

I was a new tenant--from around 2009-2013--so I had a higher rate from the beginning.

I had neighbors that were in the building for decades and paying half what I was paying for multiple bedroom apartments lol. I think they're waiting for those to tenants to die honestly.
I lived right next to Fort Tryon. I really miss it. Charming neighborhood.

Yeah. Management companies are buying up a lot of the buildings up there and looking to raise rents.

I was a new tenant--from around 2009-2013--so I had a higher rate from the beginning.

I had neighbors that were in the building for decades and paying half what I was paying for multiple bedroom apartments lol. I think they're waiting for those to tenants to die honestly.
I lived right next to Fort Tryon. I really miss it. Charming neighborhood.

yep, they've been doing that for a long time. my mom's still up there and she has rent control. pays 1100 for 2 bedroom. she's a lot closer to Columbia University football stadium, like a block away. alot of tenants around grew up there and pretty much never leave. but the'yre getting older.

i'm in fort lee now, only reason i left was parking. would take me 45- to an hour to find a spot after work. so i said screw it! and moved to NJ

...most of all, i love how diverse the cultures and open minded the people are.
This is definitely an underrated aspect of living in NYC, not that we're without issues in this area because, of course, we certainly have our share. I had a friend from Texas visit and, just within my little neighborhood, he was stunned by the diversity on display (in a positive way).

Avixph

I hope not.

Penguin

So curious has anyone done or is interested in one of those lock room puzzle/games that seems to be all the rage?

Wanna do one, but always so tough convincing friends.

Pau

So curious has anyone done or is interested in one of those lock room puzzle/games that seems to be all the rage?

My boyfriend and I did one, and he's done a few more with coworkers. We really liked it but I think they'd be best working through with friends rather than just random people. They can also be expensive without discounts.

On the one hand it makes me feel like Batman. On the other I think Bats would be disappointed in my detective skills. :(

Also another idea for a potential GAF meetup.

Pau

What are those?
You're put into a themed room (an apartment, office, theatre, etc) and "locked in." There are several puzzles you need to solve to get out. A key somewhere or number/letter combinations that you find using clues around the place.

For example,
the one I went to was set up as an apartment, and there was a take out menu with a phone number. Calling the phone led to a pre-recorded message that then gave a clue for one of the lock combinations.

Does anyone else live on the Bronx? Also is there going to be another NYC meetup?

Used to live in Co-Op-City, moved (back) to Washington Heights early last year.

Some co-workers wanted to give it a try a few months back. Sounded like fun, though you have to schedule it well in advance if you don't want to get matched up with random people.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

I've done a bunch. They're great fun. Really recommend them. If some gaffers want to do one, I'd be game... depending on which one. There's a few companies in the city I haven't tried yet.

You're put into a themed room (an apartment, office, theatre, etc) and "locked in." There are several puzzles you need to solve to get out. A key somewhere or number/letter combinations that you find using clues around the place.

For example, the one I went to was set up as an apartment,
and there was a take out menu with a phone number. Calling the phone led to a pre-recorded message that then gave a clue for one of the lock combinations

Spoil tag that. :\

Staab

Here you go http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#7day. Info on the different types of passes. You also might want to look into downloading the "Lfyt" app. I think you get 50.00 in free rides (10.00 max applied per ride) in case you guys don't feel like dealing with public transportation. If you're staying near the Brooklyn Bridge, I'd recommend walking across it. Great photo op of lower Manhattan and lower Manhattan has a lot of historic buildings and areas. The ferry to Staten Island is free so you can ride it and catch a glance of the statue of liberty. There's also the ground zero memorial. Hope you guys enjoy your trip!
Thanks for that, sounds great, we're really looking forward to it.
Hopefully snow doesn't hit too hard as it seems the temperatures are dropping steadily !

Jhoan

I nominate Karka-Pau to organize the next meet up since I know nothing about group game experiences other than Escape The Room Experience which I saw on $9.99 and Sleep No More. Fantastic ideas.

All right so since it's definitely gonna be board game themed, the nominees for the places I've been looking at are (typing this from my phone so no Yelp page link until I get on the laptop):

West 3rd Common (NoHo)
The Uncommons (West Village/NYU area)
Whiskey Tavern (Chinatown)

Vote or roll a D20 die. Once that's done, the rest is smooth sailing. I'll check back tonight.

I thought entremet lived in Queens. What a surprise. I'm semi-surpised that Asians live in The Heights although hearing an Asian-Dominican dude speaking Spanish with other Dominicans at my old gym blew my mind. The area around Yankee Stadium has been gentrifying rapidly with that shopping center there.

Pau

I nominate Karka-Pau to organize the next meet up since I know nothing about group game experiences other than Escape The Room Experience which I saw on $9.99 and Sleep No More. Fantastic ideas.

All right so since it's definitely gonna be board game themed, the nominees for the places I've been looking at are (typing this from my phone so no Yelp page link until I get on the laptop):

West 3rd Common (NoHo)
The Uncommons (West Village/NYU area)
Whiskey Tavern (Chinatown)

Vote or roll a D20 die. Once that's done, the rest is smooth sailing. I'll check back tonight.

I thought entremet lived in Queens. What a surprise. I'm semi-surpised that Asians live in The Heights although hearing an Asian-Dominican dude speaking Spanish with other Dominicans at my old gym blew my mind. The area around Yankee Stadium has been gentrifying rapidly with that shopping center there.
Kark's not a huge fan of meet ups but I'm down to organize a room puzzle meet up.

Spoil tag that. :\
Sorry, that I thought that one was closed recently or closing soon! :(

entremet

yep, they've been doing that for a long time. my mom's still up there and she has rent control. pays 1100 for 2 bedroom. she's a lot closer to Columbia University football stadium, like a block away. alot of tenants around grew up there and pretty much never leave. but the'yre getting older.

i'm in fort lee now, only reason i left was parking. would take me 45- to an hour to find a spot after work. so i said screw it! and moved to NJ

Dude you had a car in Inwood?!

Big mistake lol!

The neighborhood is heavily Dominican and Dominicans love their cars, man. I'm Dominican and I can say that lol. But I'm hyper Americanized and my Spanish is awful. Most of the bodega owners thought I was a Southeast Asian and addressed me in English.

I never understood having a car in NYC. Parking is a nightmare, unless you wanna be 300 dollars a month poorer and pay for a garage.

GiJoccin

I never understood having a car in NYC. Parking is a nightmare, unless you wanna be 300 dollars a month poorer and pay for a garage.

i have a car and live a block from astor place, and almost never have trouble finding parking...

although, my schedule seems to fit perfectly with the parking rules around here, and about once a week i have to do the whole street cleaning thing

finding spots is only bad friday/saturday night, and even then, people are pulling out of spots left and right

Dude you had a car in Inwood?!

Big mistake lol!

The neighborhood is heavily Dominican and Dominicans love their cars, man. I'm Dominican and I can say that lol. But I'm hyper Americanized and my Spanish is awful. Most of the bodega owners thought I was a Southeast Asian and addressed me in English.

hahahaha, i was born and raised in the same building @ Inwood, everyone knows each other in the neighborhood. There's an unspoken code not to steal from the neighborhood since we all grew up together. (we fought alot of people coming up from Dyckman ahh so many memories back in the days) It's funny, my block is all Irish and across the street one building is all Dominican, we're all chill,
we know the neighborhood skanks to avoid; who try to have baby to keep you and made fun of our friends who fell for it. wild times...

I'm not there anymore as my job requires a car. anyways, regarding parking, a year after grad school in MA, i tried living their and parking was horrible. moved to L.I. then later to NJ. ahh so much space to park...

I come back to the neighborhood occasionally to visit my mom and it's as you described, management companies trying to buy up all the buildings. a lot of upper middle class commuters now. There's an Inwood community watch now and they had Columbia keep their football stadium light on @ night for visibility.

whenever i come back, i get rice and beans /w pigeon peas and oxtail. if i meet a Korean girl that knows how to make that i'd die and go to heaven...

entremet

hahahaha, i was born and raised in the same building @ Inwood, everyone knows each other in the neighborhood. There's an unspoken code not to steal from the neighborhood since we all grew up together. (we fought alot of people coming up from Dyckman ahh so many memories back in the days) It's funny, my block is all Irish and across the street one building is all Dominican, we're all chill,
we know the neighborhood skanks to avoid; who try to have baby to keep you and made fun of our friends who fell for it. wild times...

I'm not there anymore as my job requires a car. anyways, regarding parking, a year after grad school in MA, i tried living their and parking was horrible. moved to L.I. then later to NJ. ahh so much space to park...

I come back to the neighborhood occasionally to visit my mom and it's as you described, management companies trying to buy up all the buildings. a lot of upper middle class commuters now. There's an Inwood community watch now and they had Columbia keep their football stadium light on @ night for visibility.

whenever i come back, i get rice and beans /w pigeon peas and oxtail. if i meet a Korean girl that knows how to make that i'd die and go to heaven...

Oh I wasn't' talking about car thefts--I have no idea since I've never owned a car--but general parking there is horrendous. I knew a dude that had a similar story to yours--spending 40 minutes per day to find parking.

Eff that. I don't want more stress already lol.

Oh I wasn't' talking about car thefts--I have no idea since I've never owned a car--but general parking there is horrendous. I knew a dude that had a similar story to yours--spending 40 minutes per day to find parking.

Eff that. I don't want more stress already lol.

^hahaha yeah to both =)

but the A and 1,9 are right there so it's convenient.

I forgot to move my car and got a ticket. Woo.

my street was mon-thurs , opposite side was tuesday-friday. such a pain moving the car =(

if you drive around the city often, a tip is to familiarize yourself w/ the red light ticket camera intersections. usually Waze has them alerted.

Jhoan

Kark's not a huge fan of meet ups but I'm down to organize a room puzzle meet up.

Sorry, that I thought that one was closed recently or closing soon! :(
Fantastic and no worries. Aren't you gonna be swamped with school work though or is this gonna be a light semester for you?

As a sidenote: what happened to the biography comic idea of your father's kidnapping that you were working on with your friend?

Oh and as for the meet up, West 3rd Common will be the place for the inaugural meet up of the year for the 20th of February. The thread will be up by this weekend since I have a rough banner idea that I sketched out last week. If anything, I'll pump out a bare bones thread tonight if not tomorrow. I might include some kind of mystery box prize ala Toronto GAF's meet ups since I'm still sitting on a load of swag from last year's NY Comic Con.

And there might be a small impromptu meet up brewing this weekend which I may or may not organize in case some of you are free and cannot wait until February. A few peeps already posted in that thread but here it is again: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170344

Oh and my older bro has a car but I think him and his wife are one of the few people who store the car in a garage IIRC and they live in Dyckman/Inwood. When we were driving back from Queens on New Year's, I saw two drivers driving and texting on the FDR Drive sadly.

Pau

Fantastic and no worries. Aren't you gonna be swamped with school work though or is this gonna be a light semester for you?

As a sidenote: what happened to the biography comic idea of your father's kidnapping that you were working on with your friend?
It'll be an average semester.

I've put it on hold for various reasons, including time and just not feeling comfortable exposing my dad to the backlash from idiots who think that he deserved what happened to him.

Welcome the biggest motherfucker that ever lived on land to New York City!

PLgSyZi.jpg

XRLU5er.jpg

CR4BAKW.jpg

3DEs1V3.jpg

Mega

Banned

Slowly but surely it will, similar to Brooklyn it won't be all of the Bronx just the parts that easily accessible to the city like south Bronx. You see how Brooklyn has changed but they don't dare go to east ny right?

There are very concentrated efforts that have been underway for at least the past year to gentrify the South Bronx. "The Piano District" after the weak "SoBro" effort in the early 00s. It's basically a done deal. They already got the South, East and West adjacent areas of Manhattan. It was only a matter of time til the big money set its eyes on the North. The commutes into Manhattan there are even faster than ultra expensive parts of Brooklyn.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Anyone hear about Play Fair?

Looks like they're capitalizing on Toy Fair and just making a weird concurrent festival out of it. Might bring my niece just to see what it's all about.

There are very concentrated efforts that have been underway for at least the past year to gentrify the South Bronx. "The Piano District" after the weak "SoBro" effort in the early 00s. It's basically a done deal. They already got the South, East and West adjacent areas of Manhattan. It was only a matter of time til the big money set its eyes on the North. The commutes into Manhattan there are even faster than ultra expensive parts of Brooklyn.
They just gotta deal with MTA slow asses now lol

unless they already got them in their pockets :O

johnsmith

remember me
Thinking of taking a last minute trip in early/mid February for the first time ever. Is this a horrible idea? Hotel prices are like a fraction of what they'd be the rest of the year and I'm used to the cold, it seems like it's the same as where I live, 30-40 degrees. Or should I go during a nicer time of the year and use Airbnb.

Mega

Banned
Like January, February is still pretty miserable with the cold and ice on the ground. April and September-October are pleasant and outside travel season so it should not be as expensive.

Thinking of taking a last minute trip in early/mid February for the first time ever. Is this a horrible idea? Hotel prices are like a fraction of what they'd be the rest of the year and I'm used to the cold, it seems like it's the same as where I live, 30-40 degrees. Or should I go during a nicer time of the year and use Airbnb.

It's cheap for a reason, NYC is a city which requires being outdoors a lot and February could be miserable. It will take away from the simple enjoyment of just walking around he city

Like January, February is still pretty miserable with the cold and ice on the ground. April and September-October are pleasant and outside travel season so it should not be as expensive.

It's cheap for a reason, NYC is a city which requires being outdoors a lot and February could be miserable. It will take away from the simple enjoyment of just walking around he city

Not that I disagree entirely with the above but the benefits of the flip side-- that it's somewhat "offseason" can be pretty compelling. If you don't mind the cold and walking around in the cold, you'll have a much easier time seeing everything that you may want to see and doing everything you may want to do. Not to mention that it could be significantly cheaper to do it. I'd go for it, myself.

Top Bottom