• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Not that I disagree entirely with the above but the benefits of the flip side-- that it's somewhat "offseason" can be pretty compelling. If you don't mind the cold and walking around in the cold, you'll have a much easier time seeing everything that you may want to see and doing everything you may want to do. Not to mention that it could be significantly cheaper to do it. I'd go for it, myself.

Even during peak times it's not exactly hard to see anything, again, if the savings are dramatic enough and the person doesn't mind being out in the cold all day I say go for it. But I tell my friends and family to wait till it's warmer to visit

Mega

Banned
Winter is worse for seeing and enjoying a lot of things in NY than any wait during peak travel times. It's too cold to spend the day walking through Central Park, you can't do outdoor dining, sightseeing will be limited as you rush to warmth from one indoor place to the next, there's freezing cold winds along the waterfronts, good luck enjoying a ferry ride when it feels like 5 degrees on the water, outdoor stuff like Shakespeare in the Park isn't around, the Bronx Zoo and NY Botanical Garden (huge grounds) have many closed attractions and feel bleak in the dead of winter, etc.

The tradeoff is not worth it. Look for deals in March and April, maybe early May. This is outside of the crowded and more expensive peak travel season. Adults who went on vacation in the holidays are still accruing vacation days for the late spring-early summer, but most important of all... kids are still in school!

Jhoan

Anyone hear about Play Fair?

Looks like they're capitalizing on Toy Fair and just making a weird concurrent festival out of it. Might bring my niece just to see what it's all about.

My boyfriend and I are going.

He better let me put up my superhero action figures after this. :p

And I'm going to be volunteering there since I submitted the application last week and expecting to easily get accepted. Once I hear back from them, I'll post what times I'll be there but I picked afternoon shifts. Never heard of it before so looking forward to going back to the Javits Center before NYCC.

Meetup thread is now live after much delay.
Feels good man.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Passed by the Nintendo World Store while getting lunch and they're renovating the store. It'll reopen on Feb 19.

Just an FYI, if any gaffers were going to visit and ask about it.

Jhoan

You should have seen the frozen foods section in the Bravo Supermarket in my neighborhood yesterday. The frozen foods section was wiped clean save for a lone bag of frozen raspberries. The ice cream section that was right next to said frozen food secton was full in comparison. At this rate, most of the things will be cleaned out by tomorrow and it's gonna be crowded.

Pau

I'm dumb and haven't been to the grocery store yet. Will have to go tomorrow morning and hope for the best.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pretty fast. It's very important to us that people get to where they need to be.

Good luck if you have a car though. That shit gets buried.

Jhoan

this is my first winter in NYC, how quickly does the city clean up after a snow storm?

I'll sum it up for you with this one GIF and only applies if you don't have a car and don't have to shovel:

usy4D1g.gif

We're so damn spoiled living in the city. Boston was a mini Antarctica when I was there for PAX East last year and the wind chills were brutal. There was so much snow that it didn't melt until either May or June. The worst thing de Blasio did during last year's snowstorm was shut down the MTA which cost the MTA millions of dollars for the one day it was shut down. It was a terrible mistake since it was overhyped.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I remember that "snowstorm".

It was 10 inches tops, if that.

Kilrathi

this is my first winter in NYC, how quickly does the city clean up after a snow storm?

NYC is pretty good about cleaning up snow. LIRR and the island not so much. I am so glad the storm is this weekend and not next weekend as global jam game happening then.

Depending on when the storm hits I might be able to get out to the stables to see my horse.

Mega

Banned
No one really worries about most NY snow "storms" except to use it as an excuse for running late to work or not coming in at all. :)

Jhoan

If it's pics folks wanted, here's what the view looks like from my window:

Cars have been occasionally passing along the Hudson Parkway down below so it's not deserted. The street directly below my window is empty though. If the gym is open, I'll snap a few pics on my way later.

Pau

Pups in sweaters. :3 Poor thing.

My sister wants to head over to Central Park.

*curls up under blankets*

Going to try and go to either Leif Ericsson park in bay ridge or hoof it to prospect park! Woo! Snow!!!
Will try to take some pictures of the Verrazano. It's a good exercise to walk from my house to the bridge.

Jhoan

I want to go take some cool pictures in the snow, any recommendations? I'm thinking the Brooklyn Bridge.
If you're close to the bridge then you may as well. I'd be curious to see what City Hall and South Street Seaport look like. Saw a few pics of Central Park in the blizzard thread and it looks like a lovely day for a picnic.

I'm feeling crazy enough to go photograph the GWB more properly.

I went out for a stroll and it wasn't so bad. Thankfully the minute I got back inside, it started up again. Xpost from dgaf:

that last pic looks like riverside dr.

i used to have to hunt for parking around 110-116th right after street cleaning =) look at those cars =|

I'm feeling crazy enough to go photograph the GWB more properly.

crazy man.. i'm looking out the window now at the GW from NJ, really low visibility from here, barely can see the bridge

Schmitty

Wish I lived in Manhattan to be able to take walks on a day like today.

It doesn't seem as bad as I thought it might be but I haven't been outside since 1. I'm going out for a walk now around Astoria and check it out.

So glad I dont have a car to deal with.

Jhoan

A drunk Mexican guy just fell down the stairs of the 181st 1 train entrance. I burst out laughing. Terrible human being I know. His friend helped him up. As I said in the blizzard thread, I'll post a crap ton of pics I took once I get home. There's still people out right this moment as I type this. It's been pretty meditative being able to walk through the streets. The GW had cars coming and going now and then since I was on it.

Mega

Banned
I went outside and the streets are empty. Would've stayed out longer but eh, I realized I hate the snow.

I went downstairs earlier today to take out the trash. Felt that cold draft. Stayed home all day. Don't care, too cold!

I'll head out tomorrow if the wind eases up.

hoggert

Seeing a giant louis vuitton series 4 Lightning display in Bloomingdale's foyer was even weirder. I would love to hear non-video game playing people's opinions on the colab lol

Top Bottom