• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Jhoan

Man this area has got some grit to it. You don't see this stuff back in Manhattan. I'm digging the art and all the industrial stuff.

Ahasverus

So, I'm visiting for two weeks and just arrived one day ago. How does it feel to live in a movie? Jesus Christ, everything is turned up to 11 here.

I love it. Congratz for living the life you guys.

Lulubop

I've never been outside of Manhattan for more the a week. I have no idea what outside world is like, and I'm probably fucked in the head

Jhoan

I've never been outside of Manhattan for more the a week. I have no idea what outside world is like, and I'm probably fucked in the head
You start locally. Take a bus ride upstate to see the mountains, go to an area of the city that you've never been to on a whim, consider taking a trip to Canada via Megabus and book a package, etc. Give yourself permission to act like a tourist once in a while whether it's a museum or join a meetup group that dedicates itself to that stuff. I don't feel bad for not having been past the western hemisphere so it's a one at a time thing. I'm thinking about going to Canada alone for at least two weeks some time in the spring/early summer and visit Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and try to squeeze in Quebec City.
So, how was the thing?
It was solid. The night session was much more chill than the morning and afternoon sessions. Greenpoint Brewing Company's blonde ale was my favorite beer of the bunch followed closely by Sixpoint's Old Dog (I think?) and Darwal (?). It was pretty lame that one had to pay for the food but it was cheap all things considered. These type of events draw loads of attractive women.

I woke up with a slight headache around 5am and couldn't fall sleep for an hour and a half. My room is a sauna with that damn heater turned on all the time and there's no way to turn it down at all since I've tried. I had to sleep on the floor with two pillows and a fan hitting my head. I don't want to consume beer for a couple of days since the thought of alcohol is making me nauseous.

Gazele and Penguin mentioned that they're going to a Giant Bomb Wrestlemania viewing party that one Dan Ryckert is organizing. It's from 7pm-11pm at McHale's but space is limited. The RSVPs are already full but I'm going to try show up later after a date. Also a bit of a note to self: I need to go check out the Church of Sweden's cafe since I always forget to do so. They have some really good cinnamon buns or so I've heard.

Lastly, the next GAF meetup: Let's shoot for the 25th of February because my next three Fridays/Saturdays are booked. The place and time are locked in stone.

Penguin

So, how was the thing?

It was nice for the most part

Only 6 breweries or so, but decent pours and got a chance to sample most everything there.

Afterwards, Gazele mucked about Brooklyn with some of my HS friends. Some really cool bars. One think would be nice for GAF meet-up over the summer... except think cash-only.

Jhoan

Welp, some dude got kicked out the bar. It was infinitely more interesting than the Cruiser Weight fight. I heard a commotion from him yelling "Why are you kicking me out?!" and thought it was fake for a moment. Dude tried to fight the security guards/manager, then I saw that he got pinned down on the sidewalk before he awkwardly ran off down the block to Broadway but a cop car pulled up and went to go track him down. It was so worth coming out for that alone Dan Ryckert and the atmosphere aside.

gazele

Banned
Welp, some dude got kicked out the bar. It was infinitely more interesting than the Cruiser Weight fight. I heard a commotion from him yelling "Why are you kicking me out?!" and thought it was fake for a moment. Dude tried to fight the security guards/manager, then I saw that he got pinned down on the sidewalk before he awkwardly ran off down the block to Broadway but a cop car pulled up and went to go track him down. It was so worth coming out for that alone Dan Ryckert and the atmosphere aside.

Lol, wish I had come, would have loved to see that, are you watching with ryckert?

Jhoan

Lol, wish I had come, would have loved to see that, are you watching with ryckert?
You can still come since it's not crowded at all. It's more upstairs that's crowded with Giant Bomb fans. There's only standing room. Ryckert is all the way in the back of the bar a couple of feet away from me. I'm chillin with Phil's crazy ass (a banned GAF member).

Xun

Be careful with AirBNB, short-term stays without the primary resident at home are illegal. I don't think you'll get in trouble, but it could turn into a bit more of a hassle than it's worth.

B-Dubs is correct about Airbnb. Have you tried hotels that are outside of Manhattan, like some of the other boroughs? You could even try something in New Jersey.

That's fine. There's nothing super special going on around that time but you'll see stuff for sure. I'll agree with everyone else that you should look into staying in a hotel the outer boroughs or in New Jersey but close enough that you're within reasonable distance of Manhattan. I would also add to look into hostels since it's usually cheaper via hostelworld.com. When I went to Boston last year, I stayed at a hostel and the rates were very reasonable.
Thanks for the advice guys! I much appreciate it.

Hotels are simply far too expensive for one person and that includes outside of Manhattan, unfortunately. They all seem to charge based on 2 people staying in a room, so for a solo traveller it's a bit too much.

A hostel is feasible, but to be honest I may just hold off on my visit until I can convince a friend to go with me.

Jhoan

How soon is too soon for next meet-up thread?

As in if you made a thread today for something that would happen this weekend. I usually like to give it a one month buffer so ideally if you're shooting for the end of the end of the following month, you would make the thread ASAP. When do you have in mind?

Xun said:
Thanks for the advice guys! I much appreciate it.

Hotels are simply far too expensive for one person and that includes outside of Manhattan, unfortunately. They all seem to charge based on 2 people staying in a room, so for a solo traveller it's a bit too much.

A hostel is feasible, but to be honest I may just hold off on my visit until I can convince a friend to go with me.
My pleasure! That sucks to hear that they charge for two people staying in one room but it's definitely more fun when a friend is along for the ride. When looking into a hostel, make damn sure it's got good reviews so you don't end up getting bed bugs. That's always something that scares the hell out of me whenever I do an out of state convention since they're annoying to get rid of.

I went to go check out Harlem Public last night per Lulubop's recommendation and it was a pretty small, cozy bar that had a homely feel to it with the fireplace in the corner. The patrons were very friendly. It seems to attract a younger crowd of Columbia students but I also saw some older couples. I had a raspberry cider that was so good and I would have had another one had my date got another one as well. It seems like the bartenders are comprised of Columbia students as well.

My only beef with it was that the corner that wraps around the end of the bar got a bit too claustrophobic when it got more crowded because there are stools by the window as well. Otherwise, it was worth the trek. I'll definitely be back again in the future since they do indeed have a solid beer selection.

Penguin

Can it be like, right now? Would love to catch some great gaffers, especially you Penguin pal.
Ha
Well maybe we can do something small this weekend if folks are around

As in if you made a thread today for something that would happen this weekend. I usually like to give it a one month buffer so ideally if you're shooting for the end of the end of the following month, you would make the thread ASAP. When do you have in mind?

Oh well I was thinking the weekend of the 18th since 5 years since the Evilore meet-up

Jhoan

Ha
Well maybe we can do something small this weekend if folks are around

Oh well I was thinking the weekend of the 18th since 5 years since the Evilore meet-up
I would think that it would be more ideal to watch the Super Bowl at a sports bar on Sunday since one of my friends wants to do that. I only like to tune into the Super Bowl for the Half-Time show. Although the Royal Rumble outing took a small bite out of my credit card last weekend so I would go to into frugal mode.

I would probably be able to make it on the 18th since I'm scheduled to work at Toy Fair from 9am-6pm and would probably be free afterwards. I know I'm definitely going to be tired for sure. However, I wouldn't be able to stay out late because I need to be back in the Javits Center the next morning to do it again.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
any good chicken places you like in the city?

I basically just go to Bonchon if I have a hankering. There's a place in Hell's Kitchen (Hell's Chicken) that I keep meaning to try.

I had a favorite spot a few years ago, but they had a ton of fire damage from a neighboring building and never reopened in the city.

Just how dangerous is it to walk between moving subway cars?

I hate getting stuck in the crowded middle of the train because I didn't have enough time to walk down the platform.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
First time in new york, i will be visiting the city, next week, any good jazz club recommendations?

Any of the big name places will suit you fine, e.g., Birdland, Blue Note, etc. The last one I visited, and one I can recommend if you want a smaller, more down to earth spot, is Smalls (https://www.smallslive.com/). There are a million spots, hard to go wrong.

Just how dangerous is it to walk between moving subway cars?

I hate getting stuck in the crowded middle of the train because I didn't have enough time to walk down the platform.

Don't ever do this. Every year there's a story of someone who gets hurt/killed doing this.

Fuchsdh

Any of the big name places will suit you fine, e.g., Birdland, Blue Note, etc. The last one I visited, and one I can recommend if you want a smaller, more down to earth spot, is Smalls (https://www.smallslive.com/). There are a million spots, hard to go wrong.

Don't ever do this. Every year there's a story of someone who gets hurt/killed doing this.

Those public announcement placards they have in stops about the number of people getting hit and killed by trains always seem staggering. Hundreds of people are killed each and every year? Are they all the homeless, because it seems really high otherwise given what gets reported.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Those public announcement placards they have in stops about the number of people getting hit and killed by trains always seem staggering. Hundreds of people are killed each and every year? Are they all the homeless, because it seems really high otherwise given what gets reported.

Suicide mostly, if I had to guess. There was one this morning on the 2 train, delayed everything. I hope the person survived.

Lulubop

nycGAF i'm hungry... i think i will get mamoun or get some korean fried chicken.

anyone ever try Boka at St. Marks?

Boka is pretty good, I think their chicken is better than Bonchan but Bonchan got dem fries. There's also a turntable (Korean Chicken) in the East Village,but I haven't been.

For southern style, I think Bob White is the best in the city when it comes to taste. Sweet Chick is alright, and Root and Bone is better than that. There's Pie and Thighs, which I'm not a fan of and the Commode which we been to. Overall I would always recommend the Commodore over any of the rest. It's just the best bang for your buck, and the chicken is fantastic anyway.

I prefer Korean to Southern, so I'd say Boka is worth it.

FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKING FUCKING TAXES!!!!
tumblr_mrdk0jtN9m1srb4uqo1_500.gif

raw

giphy.gif

gazele

Banned
Boka is pretty good, I think their chicken is better than Bonchan but Bonchan got dem fries. There's also a turntable (Korean Chicken) in the East Village,but I haven't been.

For southern style, I think Bob White is the best in the city when it comes to taste. Sweet Chick is alright, and Root and Bone is better than that. There's Pie and Thighs, which I'm not a fan of and the Commode which we been to. Overall I would always recommend the Commodore over any of the rest. It's just the best bang for your buck, and the chicken is fantastic anyway.

I need to try all of these

I basically just go to Bonchon if I have a hankering. There's a place in Hell's Kitchen (Hell's Chicken) that I keep meaning to try.

I had a favorite spot a few years ago, but they had a ton of fire damage from a neighboring building and never reopened in the city.

Pies and thighes have the best batter i ever tried in brooklyn, but the chicken breast inside is so dry, so im a bit conflicted.

thanks guys for the opinions. and yes that commodore chicken sandwich was amazing.

i need to check out bob white at some point.

Lulubop

Bob White also has the best Tenders. But yea, I like chicken. The only real notable spot I haven't checked out yet is Peaches in Bedstuy.

I should add, Amy Ruth is pretty good too. Better chicken then Sweet Chick, but a worse Waffle.

Futureman

Will be in NYC 2/9 through 2/12.

My GF has some stuff planned out but we have a hole in the schedule on Friday 2/10 until the evening.

any suggestions? We like art, food, movies, music, museums, etc.

we are both vegetarian... I know there's this famous veggie burger that "bleeds" in NYC. Worth checking out?

Top Bottom