• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

gazele

Banned
Will be in NYC 2/9 through 2/12.

My GF has some stuff planned out but we have a hole in the schedule on Friday 2/10 until the evening.

any suggestions? We like art, food, movies, music, museums, etc.

we are both vegetarian... I know there's this famous veggie burger that "bleeds" in NYC. Worth checking out?

YES, momofuku nishi, the superior burger, best vegetarian burger I've ever had

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Bob White also has the best Tenders. But yea, I like chicken. The only real notable spot I haven't checked out yet is Peaches in Bedstuy.

I should add, Amy Ruth is pretty good too. Better chicken then Sweet Chick, but a worse Waffle.

Have you had Charles' Pan Fried Chicken? Where does it stack up?

Hey guys, do any of you know of video game stores that break release date? Preferably in the Bronx or Manhattan? My thirst for Nioh is strong...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
New renderings for Javits' expansion:

yPs1MQW.jpg

C6tlfgl.png

Jhoan

New renderings for Javits' expansion:
So that's what's going to replace the North Concourse building? Not sure how I feel about the glass building. It looks like it's meant to be consistent with design of the Crystal Palace section of the Javits Center. I think it looks awful with multiple levels but then again, it's New York: tall buildings eclipse everything. I'm liking that green roof though.

Here's more info on it:

The expansion will include 90,000 square feet of new, permanent exhibit space, 45,000 square feet of “state-of-the-art” meeting room space, a 55,000-square-foot ballroom, and a green roof terrace and pavilion for outdoor events, among other upgrades.

When Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced plans for the expansion last year, he indicated it would cost around $1 billion. Empire State Development has since put a $1.5 billion price tag on the project.
Source.

That's a whole lot of money coming out of taxpayers' pockets.

They went back to Chinatown?
No, they're still in the same place they've been for the past two years: on 40th and 6th.

There's a Nazi Punching Film Festival happening tomorrow night at Verso Books (20 Jay street Ste. 1010). It's free and starts at 8:15pm. There will also be free punch. Here's a quote:

Ava Kofman, one of the organizers of the night and an editor at The New Inquiry, told Gothamist in an email that "Fash Bash Bash is a film screening of clips from movies in which people are resisting and protesting fascism. A dozen or so friends and contributors of the magazine will be selecting the clips from film history and introducing them briefly."
More info here.

Also the Rego Park Library is hosting its own mini comic con tomorrow from 10am-4pm with local artists found on Craigslist:

The artists range in genre from dark comics to balloon type art which exaggerates people’s facial expressions, the library said.

During the event, representatives from various New York City comic stores as well as comic book artists and illustrators will discuss and display their work.

There will also be a slideshow running throughout the day featuring various popular characters, the library said.

More info here.

Jhoan

When you go into the art supplies store to buy a bunch of supplies and come out 80 bucks poorer. I call it an investment. ;_;

Been walking through Columbia University. This stuff reminds me of Harvard Square/Cambridge a lot. I heard great things about their comics library which I want to check out another time.

I didn't know there was a park behind Columbia. I learned that accidentally since I took the C to 116th instead of the 1. Strangely enough it doesn't have that pretentious vibe walking through it but damn if it doesn't have history.

Penguin

Target First Saturday at the Brooklyn Museum of Art is what I would go check out. You can always go catch a show at The PIT.

Thanks for the rec

Swore I been to the museum before, but it was apparently my first time.

Nice vibe. Crowded, but not bad.

Some cool exhibits.

Jhoan

Thanks for the rec

Swore I been to the museum before, but it was apparently my first time.

Nice vibe. Crowded, but not bad.

Some cool exhibits.

My pleasure! I'm glad you enjoyed it. The only one time I was there was about 3 years ago around this time by happenstance when I saw the Kahinde Wiley exhibition and Judy Chicago's permanent installation of The Dinner Party. They also had an African art exhibition going on at the time. I've never been to the First Saturday but I heard good things about it and want an excuse to go. What stood out to you in particular?

Auctopus

Hey NYC-Gaf,

I'm gonna be in Manhattan next week for around a week, anything going on right now I should check out besides the normal stops? I was last in NY about 8 years ago.

I'm in to architecture, art, music/guitar/vinyl, food (duh) and video games, of course. I also wanna check out Brooklyn this time as well with a possible visit to Rough Trade, is that easily doable?

All suggestions/advice is super welcome, thanks.

Penguin

[Agent]ZeroNine;229880885 said:
Hey, peeps. Long time no see (been focused on career related studies). Did I miss any Meetups recently? Any upcoming meetups?

There's a meet-up in a week and a half at The Gaf on the 18th

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What are some bars that don't card? Preferably in the city. I'm guessing around NYU? Lost my damn ID and want to get my drink on.

Kisaya

So I might be booking an emergency flight for Friday. I know the snow storm is tomorrow, but is there a chance I'll have trouble coming in?

What are some bars that don't card? Preferably in the city. I'm guessing around NYU? Lost my damn ID and want to get my drink on.

Brooklyn will have a handful of places. My favorite underage drinking spot was in Red Hook.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There's one in Manhattan on the West Side around 22nd street. For the life of me I can never remember the name.

Fuchsdh

I actually love it. The streets are quieter, fewer people are out. Quieter around the office. It's also nice to look at. I'm having a ball.

Yep. Then the days after the snow gets black, slushy, and terrible. But when it's snowing? It's great.

Doesn't hurt I work from home anyhow, so no reason to go out. And they suspended parking rules.

Top Bottom