• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyko Power Pak triples Wii U gamepad battery life

Finally. No word on release date yet.

Some bullet points:

• Triple the capacity and play time of the original GamePad
  • Includes mini screwdriver for easy installation
  • Works with the existing Nyko and first party charging solutions
  • Fits entirely into the existing GamePad Battery compartment – no additional bulk
  • CE and EL certified high quality lithium polymer battery

WiiU_PowerPak_product_new.jpg

Source

Good stuff :)

Thank god. That other shit they were releasing was hideos.

Parallacs

I have the Nyko 3DS battery grip:

It cost $5
It makes the 3DS slightly fatter and easier to hold. Still fits in front jeans pocket. It also has a quality velvet rubber feel that I like. I only have to charge the 3DS once every few days. I play sparingly and keep wifi on always.

Due to this, I can probably recommend the WiiU battery. I am very wary of 3rd party batteries however.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So how come Nintendo didn't do this? Costs too much?

I guess so. Nintendo are selling the Wii U at a loss, and it was recently revealed that Reggie was misquoted and it takes more than selling just one game for them to recoup the profit.

honestly the booster should be something out of this world to cover a whole european apartment.

my living room is divided into two parts by a wall that crosses just half the width of the room.
that wall is already enough to kill the signal

yeah, it's clear they didn't think of European / British homes when they designed off tv play.

it's fixable though, but are they interested in doing so? I hope they are and this, even if it is from a third party, makes me hopeful it's in the works or at least in the planning stages.

Opps my mistake thought you were only talking about the console.

no worries. I should have stated I was talking about the gamepad.

I actually don´t know that. The only thing i know is they claimed to sell at a loss. Leaves the question how that´s possible with this hardware.
To make something in 2012 only as powerful as an Xbox360 (with a significantly smaller TDP) is going to take more money than something more powerful at a slightly higher TDP.

It's really crazy. Honestly.

I really do think it's tied to their development goals of marginally increasing development costs. On a class of hardware others would spend $100 million Nintendo didn't want effective budgets to be higher than $15 million.

Which is why a good chunk of Nintendo titles look like higher fidelity Wii assets at a higher resolution with a few snazzier effects.

AOC83

Banned
To make something in 2012 only as powerful as an Xbox360 (with a significantly smaller TDP) is going to take more money than something more powerful at a slightly higher TDP.

It's really crazy. Honestly.

I really do think it's tied to their development goals of marginally increasing development costs. On a class of hardware others would spend $100 million Nintendo didn't want effective budgets to be higher than $15 million.

Which is why a good chunk of Nintendo titles look like higher fidelity Wii assets at a higher resolution with a few snazzier effects.

If they really wanted to keep the development costs low wouldn´t they try to avoid bottlenecks like the horrible CPU or the ridiculously slow ram?

Fox Mulder

Why does Nintendo's battery not even fill the entire cavity in the controller?

because they cheaped out on the stock battery, but probably wanted the ability to offer larger ones of their own.

I'll buy this, why not. The stock battery life is laughable.

If they really wanted to keep the development costs low wouldn´t they try to avoid bottlenecks like the horrible CPU or the ridiculously slow ram?
Honestly if you're using marginally improved Wii assets... nothing about the system will be that big of a bottleneck.

JimboJones

Well obviously they set a goal that the controller shouldn't go over because if they didn't the could have ended up with a brick. Still having held a Wii U controller, this won't make a very noticable difference unless you have some kind of hand weakness.

Yeah I agree, I guess they to draw a line somewhere with regards to weight, they could have been offering official batteries from the start for users concerned about battery life but I guess it wasn't a top priority for them and just left it to 3rd parties.

honestly the booster should be something out of this world to cover a whole european apartment.

my living room is divided into two parts by a wall that crosses just half the width of the room.
that wall is already enough to kill the signal

i can get through 3 walls (and about 8 metres) to my toilet

Dave Long

Banned
Whether it was weight or cost, it does run out awfully fast. This is a good solution to that "problem" with the gamepad. I'm ok with it as an aftermarket add-on. Most people aren't going to notice it runs out as fast as it does because they don't play as long as the hardcore will (the people on this board specifically) at one sitting.

So for me, this is a good $25 add-on. Now... when?

I´m giving them the benefit of the doubt that they won´t do that with all of their games. ;-)
I wouldn't knock them for doing so. They can make 8,000 poly models look spectacular. Skyward Sword probably should have been a WiiU launch title. At a higher res with more advanced lighting and shadowing. Maybe a few more polygons wasted on the trees. I swear, some of them you can count the planes displaying the leaves.

big_erk

I wonder if it was their intention to leave it like this, maybe we will see official XL batteries crop up at some point.

This is what I always thought. Why leave the extra space if it was never planned on being used. I think they wanted to make the controller as light and inexpensive as possible at first, and allow those that don't mind the extra weight and expense to upgrade later.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
About friggin time.

Even though my Nyko experience with wiimote rechargeables has been iffy - there were two battery packs bundled in with the charger cradle, and one of them died prematurely but the other works to this day. Anyway, price is right, so I'm willing to bite. Good job, Nyko.

Rich!

Too good to be true.

Yeah, that's what I thought about the 3DS powerpak until I bought it. Man, that thing DELIVERED.

Also, for people interested in this who live in the UK:

The 3DS nyko powerpak is unavailable in the UK - however, it is available on amazon.com. This Wii U battery will be the same, most likely. But fear not! I ordered my 3DS one from amazon.com, it arrived within two weeks and shipping was dirt cheap. Games themselves cannot be bought from amazon.com to the UK, but accessories are fine!!

antonz

The original battery also fits well into Nintendo's need to be your nanny. The constant reminders of playing too long ,shouldn't you take a break etc. Was the best way for them to practically force a break short of limiting game sessions themselves.

gururoji

The original battery also fits well into Nintendo's need to be your nanny. The constant reminders of playing too long ,shouldn't you take a break etc. Was the best way for them to practically force a break short of limiting game sessions themselves.

Why are people who need to play Wii U for so long in one sitting ignoring, incapable of or unwilling to accept just connecting the damn power cable to the gamepad? It's smaller and lighter than most if not all of the cables one would use to "play and charge" already on 360 and PS3.

I have a feeling that Nintendo will come out with their own battery. Why else leave that much space? I had no problem with buying a new battery for my PSP. I am still iffy on going outside of first party for accessories.

Why are people who need to play Wii U for so long in one sitting ignoring, incapable of or unwilling to accept just connecting the damn power cable to the gamepad? It's smaller and lighter than most if not all of the cables one would use to "play and charge" already on 360 and PS3.

Because Nintendo. Everyone also seems to be forgetting about the Pro controller's (or whatever it's called) amazing battery life.

deviljho

Dear Nintendo,

If you gave me a cheaper, lighter, low-life battery with my Gamepad with the idea of selling better batteries by yourself or through third parties later, it would have been nice to not require that I unscrew the cover every time I wanted to switch one out.

Sincerely,

deviljho

P.S. OMFG, 'tendo, did you see Kamiya kicking ass and taking names on twitter?

deviljho

Hi. I like unplugging the AC adapter from the back of the cradle, plugging it into my Gamepad and then back into the tiny port in the back of the cradle every time I am done playing.

I also like passing my Gamepad to my young nieces and other friends when playing Nintendo Land... you know, a game where the central tenant of multiplayer is to pass the Gamepad around. Lifting the cable so the little guy can duck under it is soo cute.

Watching football from my "TV watching spot" and using TVii with a wire suspended mid-air to help trip my wife when she's bringing me a sandwich is hilarious. Mayo on her face and in her hair... priceless!! Paging David Jaffe.

Totally agree with your post, brah. Why don't people just plug it in.

Top Bottom