• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPost: How Jon Stewart helped make wrestling more popular than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Wrestling fans always say that. Product is pretty good right now since wm30. Better than the late 00s certainly.

While true, most of them don't even watch anymore, outside of the big PPVs. If you knew these guys, you would know how much that means to them, to not even watch. They say poor storylines and poor characters (charisma?) are the biggest issues. I haven't watched in years so I don't know myself.

There aren't people and stories to emotionally invest in. Brock Lesnar's their biggest star because he's the final boss of wrestling now, but I don't want to watch anyone but him and Kevin Owens. I'd put Cesaro here too if they ever got behind him. It's weird seeing a company publicly not give a shit about their best talents.

Opiate

Social Media engagement. Did you know that WWE's Facebook page has more likes than MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS?

Okay, this is a real tangible that I think matters. It's difficult to tell how this compares to social media engagement for WWE in the early 2000s, however, because social media didn't exist then. It's a start, regardless.

Guzim

There aren't people and stories to emotionally invest in. Brock Lesnar's their biggest star because he's the final boss of wrestling now, but I don't want to watch anyone but him and Kevin Owens. I'd put Cesaro here too if they ever got behind him. It's weird seeing a company publicly not give a shit about their best talents.

I watched Lesnar-Rollins-Cena from the 2015 Royal Rumble a few weeks ago. That match is so good. Lesnar is fantastic in it.

Okay, this is a real tangible that I think matters. It's difficult to tell how this compares to social media engagement for WWE in the early 2000s, however, because social media didn't exist then. It's a start, regardless.

FYI, he was making a joke about WWE's constant bragging about their social media presence.

JustinBB7

Only good thing in WWE right now is Brock. Him only being used part time actually gives them a big fight feel too so it works out for everybody. But yea when Brock is gone..

wmtm.jpg

Trump has made the crossover to promote the WWE

now it's Vince's chance to do Donald right.

Vince McMahon should stump for the Donald (maybe Vince will become Vice President of the USA one day...................... then President)

Lol.

Perspicacity and bean breath are working you right now, brother.

Anyway, this article is ridiculous. WWE's ratings are historically low, they're struggling to keep anyone on their network and resorting to using free months to keep their numbers inflated, their biggest attraction only wrestles a few times per year, they have no believable contenders for "top guy" on the current roster, they've shed several of their biggest stars due to burn out and injury, they've become beholden to a model where they flood the market with free content, an arrangement VERY hard on their talent, they sank a ton of money into a training center that doesn't seem to be paying many dividends as of yet, advertisers want nothing to do with them, and they're still reliant on stars and creative approaches that were stale a decade ago, let alone in 2015. Getting a soon to be retired late night comedian on their show is hardly going to be their savior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom