• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT survey: Where Americans and nutritionists disagree on what is "healthy" food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulik2

Peanut Butter has so many calories it shouldnt be considered healthy. Its my favorite food but when peanut butter has more calories then an equal serving of frosting its not healthty.

Fury451

Banned
Peanut Butter has so many calories it shouldnt be considered healthy. Its my favorite food but when peanut butter has more calories then an equal serving of frosting its not healthty.

It comes down to that debate as to whether all calories are equal.

Window

Had no idea about granola. What's a good healthy breakfast cereal (if there is such a thing) or rather what's a healthy breakfast in general?

The rule of thumb should be:

A colorful, diverse, mostly-plant-based whole foods diet containing a moderate amount of calories per day will make and keep you healthy.

entremet

Had no idea about granola. What's a good healthy breakfast cereal (if there is such a thing) or rather what's a healthy breakfast in general?

Oatmeal if we're talking about the same type of category. It's a whole grain, has good fiber, and is relatively tasty. Use fresh fruit instead of sweeteners, though.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
To be fair,

Sushi is only good if it isnt stuffed with Avocado and Cream Cheese.

That may account for the difference in opinion between normals and nutritionists.

Servbot24

Banned
My diet is pretty much all oatmeal, spinach, carrots, peppers, almonds and eggs. Chart works for me! Surprised by coconut oil though.

Window

To be fair,

Sushi is only good if it isnt stuffed with Avocado and Cream Cheese.

That may account for the difference in opinion between normals and nutritionists.

I didn't know sushis with cream cheese is a thing. What's wrong with avocados?

10g of sugar is considered 20% of a healthy days diet? I don't think 50g of sugar would be healthy for anything

That is 10 teaspoons

50g of sugar is a good limit that the body can efficiently use for energy. Any more is directly stored as fat and wrecks the body. Of course you can also do without it. It just needs to be made clear for everyone that 50g is the limit, and absolutely no more should be consumed.

ROSdhD2.png

I could live on this diet (with some additional fruit and veg).

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I'm surprised that there was a percentage of nutritionalists that felt Diet Soda was healthy.

Aiustis

The only thing that surprised me is popcorn (I only eat it sprinkled with pepper and popped from the loose kernel.

Not surprised by people thinking frozen yogurt and granola are healthy; they are advertised as such but both are pretty much as sugary as candy.

Edit: As much as I love sushi...I refuse to eat the kind with cream cheese. That stuff is nasty imo.

Fuchsdh

It's easy to think a granola bar would be healthy but man are they loaded with sugar

Not all that surprising. Granola tastes like ground up twigs and bark unless you give it some sort of flavoring and/or sugar.

It's always seemed like a key problem with people trying to diet is that they *add* "healthy" foods to their diet instead of substituting. So if you aren't swapping juices for sodas and granola bars for candy bars, all you've done is add more sugar to your diet.

Yes. Hardly any added sugar.

The multigrain variations are also pretty low in sugar, if you absolutely can't stomach plain ones.

Probably because steak is a hunk of meat and hamburgers are a little bit of meat in between two huge pieces of bread, with salty cheese, salty pickles and salty sauces.

Nothing wrong with salt. The big problem there is the bread and sauces (with the possible exception of mayo).

Oh, and possibly artificial/pre-sliced and shredded cheese too. Just grab a block of cheddar and cut it yourself and save a useless carb of starch filler.

Also, anyone who thinks orange juice is healthier than a diet soda (in terms of nutritional impact) really has no idea what they are talking about.

Diet soda is non-caloric - it may as well be water for most people (thought some do have an insulin response to it). Juice is refined fruit (like 50 oranges to a bottle) with immediate glycemic impact and really not a lot of vitamins for the sugar content.

10g of sugar is considered 20% of a healthy days diet? I don't think 50g of sugar would be healthy for anything

That is 10 teaspoons

One can of soda, one slice of pie / cake, one dessert....

it's really not as much as you think based on the number. Is it good? Fuck no. Does it make much difference on the common carb-ridden diet? Not really, no.

It's better to focus people on going for fats in general and just avoiding all sugar-based or added foodstuff than it is to focus on the arbitrary number.

Similar to how lowering calories doesn't mean you're eating healthy. 1200 calories of pure carb is still going to wreck your shit (insulin response forces it into fat, vitamins are used up during the process, nothing gets replenished and your body starts eating muscle instead of fat), and probably even on turbo-speed compared to 2500 calories of mixed intake or a focus on fats over carbs (lower to no insulin response, vitamins are used but also replenished, muscle power gets replenished -albeit at lower rates- , body stays in 50-50 mode of burning fat and eating muscle, but at least also builds some back).

Healthy eating shouldn't be about the food or the numbers, but about the process and WHEN you eat. Or rather how much and how often. There is no harm in eating 2000 calories in one meal if the other 23 hours are actually spend fasting. There is harm in eating and snacking 500 calories every 4 hours, particularly if each snack contains sugar.

But anyway, the only thing that you can really read out of these graphs is the power and influence of marketing. Yes, you, coconut oil (actually no, that one at least appears legit). Wine, granola bars (hahahaha), frozen yoghurt, and fucking orange juice (WTF) on the other hand...

Futureman

The only thing that surprised me is popcorn (I only eat it sprinkled with pepper and popped from the loose kernel.

What is surprising about popcorn? Looks mixed leaning to healthy. That's what I would have guessed... depends on how you prepare it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I thought granola was supposed to be good for you?
On its own, sure. But to make it a palatable snack, they load granola bars with so much sugar that it's pointless as a health option. Not even talking about the ones with chocolate chips etc. because... I mean come on.

Also, anyone who thinks orange juice is healthier than a diet soda (in terms of nutritional impact) really has no idea what they are talking about.

Diet soda is non-caloric - it may as well be water for most people (thought some do have an insulin response to it). Juice is refined fruit (like 50 oranges to a bottle) with immediate glycemic impact and really not a lot of vitamins for the sugar content.

Yurp. Wish they'd asked about aspartame, just to see how the answers compared to diet soda's position.

HariKari

It's pretty dense calories wise, with all the stuff they usually load into it. Combine that with people thinking it's healthy and it's easy to overeat.

Most of the foods on the list aren't even inherently bad, they're just easy to overdo.

I imagine Soylent would sit alone at the top-left corner.

tumblr_o08scjPJ2d1r54qfqo1_r1_400.gif

No sugared drinks ever, dessert maybe once a week. Imagine how much less diabetes and obesity we would have if everybody in North America simply adhered to that guidance.

I think the average person is starting to get that picture though. Looking at that chart at least, everybody already seems to agree it's not healthy.

I think my main problem with hummus isn't that I think it's unhealthy, it's just that I end up eating way more of it than I'm supposed to. Shit's addictive.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'll eat what I want you goddamn hippie vegan bastards *munches on buffalo leg*

I only wear black and listen to music that would make hippies pee their pants, thank you very much.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Coconut oil is fine. Most likely the nutrionists are behind on debunking of the "saturated fat menace".

Coconut oil has a great lipid profile, just like butter.

Taken in conjunction with a typical American diet it isn't. Taken with someone doing a low carb diet that is careful with what they eat it is.
Coconut oil has become just another marketing scheme.

The problem with classifying foods as bad/good is that it ignores behaviors and reinforces negative ones like binging and yo-yo dieting.

Greasy hamburgers with mayo, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, mustard is good for my mental health and I find that to be just as important.

lenovox1

It's very calorie dense with most of those calories coming from added sweeteners like honey, sugar, brown rice syrup, agave nectar, etc.

There are 230 calories in a half cup of common, popular granola brands vs. 79 calories in a half cup of prepared oatmeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom