• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT survey: Where Americans and nutritionists disagree on what is "healthy" food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with salt. The big problem there is the bread and sauces (with the possible exception of mayo).

Oh, and possibly artificial/pre-sliced and shredded cheese too. Just grab a block of cheddar and cut it yourself and save a useless carb of starch filler.

Also, anyone who thinks orange juice is healthier than a diet soda (in terms of nutritional impact) really has no idea what they are talking about.

Diet soda is non-caloric - it may as well be water for most people (thought some do have an insulin response to it). Juice is refined fruit (like 50 oranges to a bottle) with immediate glycemic impact and really not a lot of vitamins for the sugar content.

Well, there certainly is something wrong with salt if you have hypertension, which a large proportion of people have but do not currently realize it.

oti

Banned
Yes, but granola isn't the only thing composing granola bars. These things are loaded with refined sugar.

Don't buy them.

Definitely. You can also just make your own bars if you want to. Bananas, oats, dates, honey if you want to and so on. They will still have a lot of calories but at least you can cut out loads of sugar. Just go easy on the honey, dry fruits etc.

ampere

Orange Juice is one that I'm surprised to see so high on the nutritionists side. It's basically soda with Vitamin C... should be much lower.

And weird to see how much of the public thinks frozen yogurt is healthy. It's not a whole lot different from ice cream, just lower lactose and fat, but still tons of sugar.

I didn't realize granola was that unhealthy, but I don't really know the typical ingredients or nutrition facts. Just assumed it was closer to oats in healthiness. Not granola bars, but regular granola. Guess there's just usually too much added sugar.

Frozen Yoghurt healthy, lol.

But what's so bad about Diet Soda?

This doesn't cover all sodas, but Diet Coke for example still has phosphoric acid which is awful for your teeth and bones.

As for the artificial sweeteners and other ingredients, it may vary a bit.

I think the important thing to note here is that there are in fact experts, researchers, and people that practice science and regulate food professionally, and then there are the obese American public who refuse to listen to the experts and would rather listen to a Special K product box.

entremet

When you think about we are in a constantly fed state.

I seriously doubt we evolved under those conditions.

No famines, no periods of hunger, we eat for entertainment.

What's interesting is that they're a lot of wacky things that happens to us at cellular level when we are in fasted states. Good things! However, most people never enter those states. We're eating from sunrise to sundown.

I'll get sources later. On my phone.

Window

So the problem with granola is the sugar/sweeteners? I have honey toasted granola with 13.6g sugars (per 100g) which happens to be lower than Cheerios so it depends on the specific product I guess.

Edit: But has (much) higher fat and (much) lower sodium quantities...I'm totally ignorant on how to weigh these up to determine what's more healthy.

derder

dietitian =/= nutritionist

There is a pretty damn good reason why the license exists. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

Fury451

Banned
Cheerios don't need added sugar; they are made with starch. They are already full of carbs. They will get you fat.

Well yeah, of course they're full of carbs. They might make you fat if you're eating bowls of them multiple times a day.

If you want a cereal that's an alternative to oatmeal that doesn't include added sugars though, Cheerios are basically your best bet.

Surprised nutritionists rate eggs so highly. There is a reason the egg industry isn't allowed to use words like 'healthy' and 'nutritional' and even 'safe' in their advertising. Maybe the nutritionists have only been reading the papers funded by the egg industry.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Surprised nutritionists rate eggs so highly. There is a reason the egg industry isn't allowed to use words like 'healthy' and 'nutritional' and even 'safe' in their advertising. Maybe the nutritionists have only been reading the papers funded by the egg industry.

5K1KYlS.gif

Run this one by me.

http://nutritionfacts.org/2015/03/26/peeks-behind-the-egg-industry-curtain/

The American Egg Board is a promotional marketing board appointed by the U.S. government whose mission is to “increase demand for egg and egg products on behalf of U.S. egg producers.” If an individual egg company wants to run an ad campaign, they can say pretty much whatever they want. But if an egg corporation wants to dip into the 10 million dollars the American Egg Board sets aside for advertising every year, because the board is overseen by the federal government, corporations are not allowed to lie with those funds. This leads to quite revealing exchanges between egg corporations that want to use that money and the USDA on what egg companies can and cannot say about eggs.
For example, the egg industry wanted to run an ad calling eggs a nutritional powerhouse that aids in weight loss. The USDA had to remind the industry that they can’t portray eggs as a diet food because of the fat and cholesterol content. In fact, eggs have nearly twice the calories of anything that can be called “low-calorie.”

“Nutritional powerhouse” can’t be used either. Fine, the industry said, they’ll move to plan B, and headline the ad “Egg-ceptional Nutrition.” They couldn’t say that either because, again, given the saturated fat and cholesterol you can’t legally call eggs nutritious. So the headline ended up as, “Find true satisfaction,” and instead of weight loss they had to go with “can reduce hunger.” The USDA congratulated them on their cleverness. Yes, a food that when eaten can reduce hunger—what a concept!

They can’t even say eggs are “relatively” low in calories. Can’t say eggs are low in saturated fat—they’re not. Can’t say they’re relatively low in fat, they’re not. Can’t even call them a rich source of protein, because, according to the USDA, they’re not.

It’s illegal to advertise that eggs pack a nutritional wallop, or that they have a high nutritional content. Eggs have so much cholesterol, we can’t even say they “contribute nutritionally.” Can’t say eggs are “healthful,” certainly can’t say they’re “healthy.” Can’t even say eggs contribute “healthful components.”

Not only is the industry barred from saying eggs are healthy, they can’t even refer to eggs as safe because more than a hundred thousand Americans are food poisoned by Salmonella from eggs every year.

The egg board’s response to this egg-borne epidemic is that Salmonella is a naturally occurring bacterium. An internal egg industry memo didn’t think that should necessarily be the key message, fearing that “it may be counterproductive by implying there is no avoiding Salmonella in eggs aside from avoiding eggs altogether.”

The food poisoning risk is why the American Egg Board can’t even mention anything but eggs cooked hard and dry. No soft-boiled, no over-easy, no sunny-side up—because of the Salmonella risk. The American Egg Board’s own research showed that the sunny-side up cooking method should be considered “unsafe.”

Eggs are great. A couple of 70 calorie boiled eggs will keep you feeling full 10x as long as 300 calories of Fritos. Dietary cholesterol being unhealthy is pseudoscience.

Violet_0

Banned
seeing how 62% of the nutrionist believe that orange juice is healthy, it seems to me that their main criteria of "healthy food" is that "it contains vitamins". And fat is seemingly still the boogeyman
also lol at the cheddar and steak. I have about as much in faith in nutrionists as in brokers and wine tasters

Eggs are great. A couple of 70 calorie boiled eggs will keep you feeling full 10x as long as 300 calories of Fritos. Dietary cholesterol being unhealthy is pseudoscience.
Then could you please explain why the following literature review is 'psuedoscience'?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1534437
Mean reported changes in serum cholesterol from 27 studies in which controlled diets were supplied by a metabolic kitchen provided 76 data points, each weighted by the number of subjects in nonlinear regression. A good fit to the data (P less than 0.0005, and r = 0.617 between observed and predicted points) was given by the equation y = 1.22(e-0.00384 chi 0) (1-e-0.0136 chi) where y is the change in serum cholesterol (in mmol/L), chi is added dietary cholesterol, and chi 0 is baseline dietary cholesterol (both in mg/d).

The American Egg Board is a promotional marketing board appointed by the U.S. government whose mission is to “increase demand for egg and egg products on behalf of U.S. egg producers.” If an individual egg company wants to run an ad campaign, they can say pretty much whatever they want. But if an egg corporation wants to dip into the 10 million dollars the American Egg Board sets aside for advertising every year, because the board is overseen by the federal government, corporations are not allowed to lie with those funds. This leads to quite revealing exchanges between egg corporations that want to use that money and the USDA on what egg companies can and cannot say about eggs.

Ah, yes, the EVIL corporation wants you to eat the foods they EVILLY advertise.

Not at all like big grain and big produce. Or the government pushed by faulty metastudies, for that matter, which the following ties into:

For example, the egg industry wanted to run an ad calling eggs a nutritional powerhouse that aids in weight loss. The USDA had to remind the industry that they can’t portray eggs as a diet food because of the fat and cholesterol content. In fact, eggs have nearly twice the calories of anything that can be called “low-calorie.”

Fat and cholesterol content are meaningless for the most part. Trans fats are bad and polyunsaturated fats can be harmful depending on what kinds you eat and how you cook them, but both are important metabolic precursors and fat is a powerful energy source.

And study after study is trickling out (at a purposefully slow pace, no doubt) refuting the lipid hypotheis. The government and AHA are just hoping no one notices how wrong they are, with couched proclamations about how saturated fats and even cholesterol are "not harmful". They can't swing the pendulum too fast or they risk getting knocked on their ass.

“Nutritional powerhouse” can’t be used either. Fine, the industry said, they’ll move to plan B, and headline the ad “Egg-ceptional Nutrition.” They couldn’t say that either because, again, given the saturated fat and cholesterol you can’t legally call eggs nutritious. So the headline ended up as, “Find true satisfaction,” and instead of weight loss they had to go with “can reduce hunger.” The USDA congratulated them on their cleverness. Yes, a food that when eaten can reduce hunger—what a concept!

See above. Get out of the 80s nutritional "science" mindset.

Most of the rest of your source just repeats the same tired, disproven nonsense about saturated fats and cholesterol.

Not only is the industry barred from saying eggs are healthy, they can’t even refer to eggs as safe because more than a hundred thousand Americans are food poisoned by Salmonella from eggs every year.

I guess you would not recommend eating a salad again either, right?

Ah, yes, the EVIL corporation wants you to eat the foods they EVILLY advertise.

Not at all like big grain and big produce. Or the government pushed by faulty metastudies, for that matter, which the following ties into:

Fat and cholesterol content are meaningless for the most part. Trans fats are bad and polyunsaturated fats can be harmful depending on what kinds you eat and how you cook them, but both are important metabolic precursors and fat is a powerful energy source.

And study after study is trickling out (at a purposefully slow pace, no doubt) refuting the lipid hypotheis. The government and AHA are just hoping no one notices how wrong they are, with couched proclamations about how saturated fats and even cholesterol are "not harmful". They can't swing the pendulum too fast or they risk getting knocked on their ass.

See above. Get out of the 80s nutritional "science" mindset.

Most of the rest of your source just repeats the same tired, disproven nonsense about saturated fats and cholesterol.

I guess you would not recommend eating a salad again either, right?
Nowhere does that article imply an anti-corporation bias or use words like 'evil'. You have invented that perspective.

Take up the rest of your complaints with the USDA, whose job it is to review the entire scientific body and make recommendations based on peer-reviewed studies.

I'll take this list of stuff from the nutritionists with me to my next homeopathic life coach visit. I think this week we learn to scream at our food before we eat it to can scare away the fat demons.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What's wrong with butter? High in calories does not equal unhealthy.

Also, is cottage cheese much different nutritionally than milk?

I'll take this list of stuff from the nutritionists with me to my next homeopathic life coach visit. I think this week we learn to scream at our food before we eat it to can scare away the fat demons.

Make sure to ask about detoxifying so the butter and cholesterol doesn't clog your arteries!

Legit lol'd reading that.

Malvolio

Food companies continue to muddy the waters.

It's not the foods fault, it's that you're too lazy to work off all of our "healthy" food that you need to be cramming into your piehole all day long. /s

I wonder how the government and the AHA can monitor thousands of independent scientists and tell them, "hey, you can't publish that yet." ROFLMAO. I didn't know the AHA had such powerful editorial control over NEJM, JACC, and JAMA. I didn't know that researchers prefer to toe the line and repeat the same findings rather than become unique, contrarian and thus famous. What other wonderful insights do you have? Fold your tinfoil hat and put it back in the drawer.

120v

well, i lost 50 lbs eating mainly egg whites. for what its worth

well, i lost 50 lbs eating mainly egg whites. for what its worth
Certainly egg whites are recognised as healthier than an entire egg, though I believe there are still compelling reasons to give them up altogether. In my own anecdotal experience, my cholesterol dropped significantly after I stopped eating eggs (I was stupidly eating several a day).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Certainly egg whites are recognised as healthier than an entire egg, though I believe there are still compelling reasons to give them up altogether. In my own anecdotal experience, my cholesterol dropped significantly after I stopped eating eggs (I was stupidly eating several a day).

I've been eating six a day on and off for a couple of years and haven't run into any issues with cholesterol

I've been eating six a day on and off for a couple of years and haven't run into any issues with cholesterol
Could be many reasons for that (such as what else is in your diet) while anecdotal evidence is of course not a reliable indication for what is good for the general populace. I recommend the site I posted earlier if you want to see an overview of the research.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Not only is hummus good but it's good for you too?

BLESS! 🙏🙏🙏

singhr1

What's wrong with butter? High in calories does not equal unhealthy.

Also, is cottage cheese much different nutritionally than milk?

Type of fat. Butter is a saturated fat and oils are unsaturated fats. Saturated fats are PERCEIVED to be more unhealthy but, like almost all nutrition, there is evidence supporting both sides of the argument.

Just eat a varied diet that doesn't rely too heavily on one thing.

"So one of those egg counsel creeps got to you too, huh!"

But I'm kind of surprise granola isn't that great for you but after realizing how much sugar and calories are in a lot foods now I really shouldn't be. I remember in High School health class I put down a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread as a healthy food I ate on a regular basis, my health teacher looked at the report I made on the healthy foods I eat and laughed apparently I eat nothing but crap lol.

Then could you please explain why the following literature review is 'psuedoscience'?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1534437

Fwiw, that's from 1992. You're better off linking this meta-analysis from 2013 (which also has a far reader-friendly conclusion).

METHODS:
We systematically searched MEDLINE database through December 2012. Fixed- or random-effects model was used to pool the relative risks (RRs) and their 95% confidence intervals (CIs). Subgroup analyses was performed to explore the potential sources of heterogeneity. Weighted linear regression model was used to estimate the dose-response relationship.
RESULTS:
Fourteen studies involving 320,778 subjects were included.

CONCLUSIONS:
Our study suggests that there is a dose-response positive association between egg consumption and the risk of CVD and diabetes.

as an avid egg eater, i must admit the backfire effect was a bitch and i tried to find newer data to disregard what you previously linked. Alas, cannot turn my eye away from the facts.

which is why im now hoping in my (clogged) heart of hearts that those studies they analyzed included no folks on low carb diets. backfire effect goooo

Sesha

Perhaps mentioning teeth implied a concern regarding the pH, but what I meant was higher osteoporosis risk http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/84/4/936.full

More data is needed, but there was a correlation, at least in women, of increased osteoporosis when consuming colas (could be phosphoric acid and/or caffeine causing it)

Same thing with milk. Though more data is needed.

What's interesting is that they're a lot of wacky things that happens to us at cellular level when we are in fasted states. Good things! However, most people never enter those states. We're eating from sunrise to sundown.

I'm interested in reading that.

I can enjoy a good fast, but I wish I knew when I should do it. So far I just do it when I feel like it, which does happen.

People worry too much about starvation mode, but they don't really know what is really starvation. Our body stores a lot of nutrients, mass and energy, which it can later tap into to continue its functions normally and safely, unless you are diabetic

The debate with eggs rings similar to the debate with salt. There is evidence eggs don't increase cholesterol, there is evidence they do. The fact so far is this: High blood cholesterol is genetic; if you suffer this condition it is best to watch your consumption often and limit it in your diet. Same with salt, there is evidence sodium does not cause high blood pressure, there is evidence it does, but if you already have it you must be careful with the sodium intake.

Fwiw, that's from 1992. You're better off linking this meta-analysis from 2013 (which also has a far reader-friendly conclusion).

as an avid egg eater, i must admit the backfire effect was a bitch and i tried to find newer data to disregard what you previously linked. Alas, cannot turn my eye away from the facts.

which is why im now hoping in my (clogged) heart of hearts that those studies they analyzed included no folks on low carb diets. backfire effect goooo
Thank you for the updated analysis. I also ate many eggs and discovering that my perception of the healthiness of eggs was contrary to the science was one of the reasons (but not main reason) I went plant-based

emag

So the problem with granola is the sugar/sweeteners? I have honey toasted granola with 13.6g sugars (per 100g) which happens to be lower than Cheerios so it depends on the specific product I guess.

Edit: But has (much) higher fat and (much) lower sodium quantities...I'm totally ignorant on how to weigh these up to determine what's more healthy.

Cheerios have 1g of sugar per 28g serving, so around 4g sugar per 100g. That's way lower than your granola.

Cheerios.ashx

High carbs overall of course, but that's true of granola as well. Regular Cheerios are almost entirely oats (and the only kind of Cheerios worth considering).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom