• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: White House Plans to Have Trump Ally Review Intelligence Agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

President Trump plans to assign a New York billionaire to lead a broad review of American intelligence agencies, according to administration officials, an effort that members of the intelligence community fear could curtail their independence and reduce the flow of information that contradicts the president’s worldview.

The possible role for Stephen A. Feinberg, a co-founder of Cerberus Capital Management, has met fierce resistance among intelligence officials already on edge because of the criticism the intelligence community has received from Mr. Trump during the campaign and since he became president. On Wednesday, Mr. Trump blamed leaks from the intelligence community for the departure of Michael T. Flynn, his national security adviser, whose resignation he requested.

There has been no announcement of Mr. Feinberg’s job, which would be based in the White House, but he recently told his company’s shareholders that he is in discussions to join the Trump administration. He is a member of Mr. Trump’s economic advisory council.

Mr. Feinberg, who has close ties to Stephen K. Bannon, who is Mr. Trump’s chief strategist, and Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, declined to comment on his possible position. The White House, which is still working out the details of the intelligence review, also would not comment.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/us/politics/trump-intelligence-agencies-stephen-feinberg.html

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Yes because the one connection that the public / IC hasn't made yet are the backchannel money laundering all the Goldman Sachs folks are doing for Trump / the mob / Russia. GOOD IDEA.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure the intelligence agencies will love this.

Primus

A hedge fund manager is gonna rein in the IC? What?

oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

Mathieran

Banned
Damn these guys better work quick before all intelligence agencies get gutted. After that we will have to rely on other countries.

SerTapTap

I feel like the leaks we've had so far are less damaging because they're hoping to oust Trump with the least damage possible. I think they're going to want to drop everything they have on him right now if this is a proper danger to them. I'll admit I'm not entirely sure how this 'review' thing would work.

I wonder if there are contingency plans in place for assassinating a standing president.

aren't the IC the ones who actually topple foreign governments? they're a bit practised at this, maybe this will be used as in future training in how to topple domestic governments.

Given how apocalyptic everything is, I don't get why the IC have to leak all of this info publically to persuade congressional Republicans to investigate. Shouldn't a private sitdown with the various committee leaders have the same effect? Surely Republicans realize that rich white men also die in nuclear holocausts?

Given how apocalyptic everything is, I don't get why the IC have to leak all of this info publically to persuade congressional Republicans to investigate. Shouldn't a private sitdown with the various committee leaders have the same effect? Surely Republicans realize that rich white men also die in nuclear holocausts?

It's baffling to me that Republicans are letting this happen. You'd think they'd be desperately trying to figure out exactly how much shit they're in, but they're just ignoring it!

~Kinggi~

Banned

There is still that old decrepit story that both RNC and DNC were hacked and only the dnc shit was released. Who knows. Maybe they are blackmailing congress too.

Some pertinent news (from 2010) of Cerberus Capital Management:

Sept 22, 2010 - Cerberus purchased another 770,000 shares of satellite imaging company GeoEye (NASDAQ:GEOY). In transactions spanning from September 28th to October 12th, Cerberus purchased $31.4 million worth of the company at an average cost of $40.78, pushing its total ownership to 6,631,172 shares –a 21% stake.[2]

So what exactly has the billionaire Feinberg going “all in,” particularly at a time when the stock is already richly priced at 25x earnings?

Something is brewing. The company is suddenly moving its headquarters to Herndon, to a corporate office within a mile of the Dulles International Airport. It’s adding 100 more jobs, a near 20% increase in its head count. Recent activities surrounding GeoEye suggest that insiders are preparing either for a buyout or a new threshold of commercial success, as the niche play of geospatial imaging goes global and ubiquitous.

The satellite imaging company, best known for its Google Maps imagery
, certainly has seen its top-line gallop. Sales enjoy a five year growth rate of 54%, versus 8.95% for the defense industry as a whole. At a time when few companies saw robust top-line growth, GeoEye saw revenue jump 84% from fiscal 2008 to 2009.[3] Two quarters into fiscal 2010, TTM sales are $315 million, vis a vis $271 million for fiscal 2009.

Its recent quarter --ending June 30-- was solid. GeoEye saw an 11.4% year-over-year revenue increase and an operating income that was 30% of revenues. Its adjusted EBITDA margin was 52.3% for the quarter.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/230525-geoeye-insiders-prep-for-mega-growth
http://www.reuters.com/article/geoeye-idUSSGE62A0IP20100311

Yeah... I'm sure there's absolutely no financial or other nefarious motivations whatsoever for this guy getting involved in Intelligence...

edit 2: Whoops, didn't see this bit from the bottom of the NYT article:

Through Cerberus, his private equity company, Mr. Feinberg has strong ties to the government contracting industry. Cerberus owns DynCorp International, which has had a wide array of large contracts providing security to the State Department and other agencies. DynCorp is now locked in a major legal dispute over the fate of a $10 billion State Department contract that it previously held to provide air support for counternarcotics operations overseas.

John F. Kelly, the new Homeland Security secretary, was paid $166,000 a year as a DynCorp adviser until he was named to the new administration.

Cerberus also owns Remington Outdoor, a major firearms manufacturer.

In 2008, Mr. Feinberg also considered investing in Blackwater,
the security firm founded by Erik Prince, a former member of the Navy SEALs, before it was ultimately acquired by other investors.

edit 1: Also, its Global Investments Chairman is former VP Dan Quayle.

After Jeb failed to win the nomination, [Quayle] ultimately endorsed Donald Trump; he was later seen visiting with Trump at Trump Tower in Manhattan, NY prior to the inauguration.[41]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Quayle

"I was in the area and I stopped by to see the president-elect to offer personal congratulations to him. I talked to him recently on the phone," Quayle told reporters following his meeting. "Things are in good hands. He's moving forward and he's going to make America great again."

Quayle also confirmed he had breakfast with Vice President-elect Mike Pence this morning.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/dan-...er-personal-congratulations/story?id=43853842

Yeah, I'm sure it was totally just about "congratulations"...

As long as they believe they're amongst the rich white men that don't, they'll hold the line.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
"Mr. Trump blamed leaks from the intelligence community for the departure of Michael T. Flynn"

This is the scary part of this article. He blames the leaks for having to get rid of Flynn. So if the info didn't leak he would have been fine keeping the guy around? Trump is in deep with Russia.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Who in their right mind fucks with the IC community? Well he isn't in his right mind so I guess that question is answered.

Barring the e-mails bullshit, it's weird that our check and balances are now Legislative, Executive, Judicial, and IC Community now.

iammeiam

Given that Trump's solutions to everything so far have been "throw unqualified rich people at it", I have to assume at some point he's going to try to send Elizabeth Holmes to go fight ISIS. I no longer believe his rabbit hole of stupidity has an end.

Well that lasted a day...

Trump and his goons need to be outed fucking fast.

Please leak everything and finally take these shit holes down with something they can't wiggle out of.

"Mr. Trump blamed leaks from the intelligence community for the departure of Michael T. Flynn"

This is the scary part of this article. He blames the leaks for having to get rid of Flynn. So if the info didn't leak he would have been fine keeping the guy around? Trump is in deep with Russia.

This. It's scary as fuck.

It's insane that they are openly doing and saying that and yet they're still not busted and kicked out of the WH. This shit is cover up and treasonous.

TyrantII

I've seen the CIA invite only museum.

Good luck Trump, you better sleep with one eye open. The IC takes their oath to protect the Constitution a lot more serious than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom