• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obduction |OT| Explore, uncover, solve, decide in a Mysterious world

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
header05uvi.jpg

about3yubx.png

From Cyan, the indie studio that brought you Myst and Riven comes a whole new adventure that will become your world.

As you walk beside the lake on a cloudy night, a distant thunderclap demands your attention. A curious, organic artifact falls from the starry sky and inexplicably, without asking permission, transports you across the universe. You’ve been abducted from your cozy existence and added into an alien landscape with a stereotypical Kansas farmhouse, a white picket fence, and a rather bizarre little ghost town - well… almost ghost town. Adding to the oddity, you discover a strangely kluged kiosk that reassuringly welcomes you to Hunrath.

The new worlds of Obduction reveal their secrets only as you explore, coax, and consider them. And as you bask in the otherworldly beauty and explore through the enigmatic landscapes, remember that the choices you make will have substantial consequences. This is your story now.

sysreqlzupm.png
MINIMUM:
Processor: CPU Intel i5-2500 equivalent or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 660 GTX w/1GB / AMD 7700 series w/1GB equivalent or better
Storage: 20 GB available space
RECOMMENDED:
Processor: CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 w/4 GB / AMD R9 290 w/4 GB equivalent or better
Storage: 20 GB available space
Additional Notes: SSD highly recommended

graop92u98.png
(Thanks Afro!)
Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wCPOTK587o
Teaser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsWHoOKa24E

reviewsuhu5x.png

A.V. Club
Obduction is the perfect reminder of what made Myst so great
Destructoid 9/10
It’s a special thing when a game gifts you a superior experience without traditional or prescribed story mechanics, and from that perspective Obduction prevails completely. Some of the puzzles and paths can become overused and tiring after a while, but on the whole it stretches the mind in the right ways. For what it sets out to do, it does it pretty perfectly, and I think both fans and newcomers alike will appreciate its ingenuity.
Attack of the Fanboy 4.5/5
Obduction is a true successor to Myst and its legacy. The game can be painfully unforgiving at times, and its puzzles might feel both confusing and unintuitive, but there is a logic at its heart. Once you figure it out the feeling of accomplishment and success is unrivaled. Those who've waited years for more games like Myst need look no further.
PC World 4/5
I miss it, now that it’s over. I’ve waited a long, long time for another Myst game. There have been some substitutes, some pinch hitters that tried to emulate that style. But there’s something special to me about an honest-to-goodness Cyan game. Me, personally—meaning I’m not strictly sure whether there’s a real-life difference or if my opinions are colored by nostalgia. It doesn’t matter, really, except insofar as I felt like I should write that lengthy disclosure up top. I like Cyan’s work.

I think others may find it divisive. I fear it won’t be Myst enough for some longtime fans. And for the people who never liked Myst? Well, this certainly won’t sway you. There’s still a lot of digging through journals for clues, reading lore that’s almost entirely inconsequential except for what it creates in your imagination. There’s a lot of pulling levers, turning cranks, pushing switches.

http://opencritic.com/game/3166/obduction
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/obduction

screenp9u15.png

outnow7dus8.png

$29.99USD (See SteamDB for prices in your local store)
Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/306760/
Humble
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/obduction
GOG
https://www.gog.com/game/obduction

This is the first time in absolutely forever that I simply don't have any machine that can run a game I want to play. I don't plan on getting a new computer any time soon, so I might just have to resign myself to watching a let's play or something, as lame as that is.
(My MacBook has an Intel 4000 card, and this post recommends at least a 4600.)

Afro

Excellent reviews, let's go!

For gamepad users, use "mouse sensitivity" to lower joystick sensitivity. Way too high at default.

edit: You can change your character shadow from male to female. That's cool.

Kyuur

I just found out about this game yesterday due to the thread bump, and now I may purchase it once I get off work. These games are always a blast to play through with my fiancee, two minds are better than one!

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I was meaning to go back to the Myst series as I own all of them and never beat any but didn't get around to it. Just bought this and I'm definitely going to beat it.

mitchman

Gold Member
Trailer claims it supports "Rift". Is it also in the Oculus Rift store now? I see no VR support mentioned on the steam release.

Can't believe they damn near stealth released this! Not sure if I'll be jumping in today, but I'm excited to see what people think.

Tain

Sounds wonderful.

I have no choice but to wait for the VR version. I'm kinda doubting this game will ever get VR controller support, but it sounds like it's built with standing in mind.

I was meaning to go back to the Myst series as I own all of them and never beat any but didn't get around to it. Just bought this and I'm definitely going to beat it.

oh man, they still hold up brilliantly. My wife and I played through Myst, Riven, and Myst Exile not too long ago. Stellar games.

This is the first time in absolutely forever that I simply don't have any machine that can run a game I want to play. I don't plan on getting a new computer any time soon, so I might just have to resign myself to watching a let's play or something, as lame as that is.
(My MacBook has an Intel 4000 card, and this post recommends at least a 4600.)
On this note, I need to know if anyone has played it on integrated specs. I got an i5, HD 5500. Think that would run the game okay?

Gorger

Kickstarter key arrived, activated it on steam and finished downloading just now. Can't wait to start it up :D

prag16

Banned
oh man, they still hold up brilliantly. My wife and I played through Myst, Riven, and Myst Exile not too long ago. Stellar games.

I didn't play Exile until a few years ago, but it was surprisingly good, being far less heralded than Myst/Riven. Never got around to finishing Revelations or End of Ages. Need to do that some day.

jett

D-Member
Thanks for making an OT.

As an ol' Myst fan, I'm definitely getting this somewhere down the line.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Any obvious OT feedback? Hope the title is alright with everyone. Reviews look great so far, just need time to play it!

Edit: If anyone sees new reviews please let me know

Erevador

My key from Kickstarter just arrived! Been looking forward to experiencing this game for a long time. Great to see the Miller brothers back in action.

vermadas

Re: VR, from a Kickstarter update (copy/pasted from reddit, I'm not a backer):
The VR (Rift) version of Obduction is coming soon. Sorry for the slight delay, but it needs a bit more optimizations and some UI polishing. The good news is that your code will also give you the full VR version. Everyone who gets the game will get the VR version. No questions asked, no hidden fees or handling charges. ;) We don’t have an exact ship date for it, yet. We’ve got an update already underway that we’ll be testing as a possible candidate for VR release. We’ll keep you updated on the VR progress.
Also, RoadtoVR review with the Rift based on a prerelease version:
http://www.roadtovr.com/obduction-vr-review-oculus-rift-myst-vr/

TheExodu5

Banned

If you ever go back to Myst, I'd recommend starting with Myst 3.

It's probably the least impressive game in the series, but it's the most approachable and will teach you what kind of puzzles to expect from the other games.

Riven is fantastic, but the puzzles are incredibly intricate and unforgiving. It's by far the hardest game of the bunch. I sadly never beat it without a guide.

I mean to go back to Myst 4 one of these days. It really seemed to have a great balance in terms of world building and puzzle difficulty.

Excellent reviews, let's go!

For gamepad users, use "mouse sensitivity" to lower joystick sensitivity. Way too high at default.

edit: You can change your character shadow from male to female. That's cool.

That is pretty cool, little features like that are awesome. Never really ever thought about such a subtle (but important) change.

I received my key and my game is downloading! So excited to play this as someone whose first game ever was likely The Manhole.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
The PC World review talks about graphics performance but only a little.
And the art is worth mentioning. While we’re still not quite on par with the photorealism of Riven’s most beautiful areas, Cyan’s turned Unreal 4 into a treat. Both aspects inherent to the engine (phenomenal lighting) and some aspects unique to Obduction (not going to say lest spoilers) are a technical marvel.

I did notice some hitching, even after Nvidia’s latest driver update. I think it’s caused by load-streaming and don’t know if it can be fixed. In any case it didn’t bother me too much, though my GTX 980 Ti is a powerful card. Woe be to all who hoped to run Obduction on a lower-end machine.

I don't get the impression this will run well below the minimum spec.

Inkwell

Banned
I don't have time to actually play this yet, but I messed with graphics settings to get a feeling of how this runs. I'm on a system with:

i5 750
GTX 760 (2 GB)
8 GB ram

I only did the intro, and walked around a bit in the next section. The game's auto-detect placed everything on the lowest settings. I used Geforce Experience at it's default optimal settings and got a mix of mostly medium settings. The game's framerate bounces around quite a bit. Some sections are running at 60 and others are below 30 along with hitching here and there. I feel if they had the resources they could have optimized this a bit better, but considering the system requirements I'm happy I'm getting the performance that I am.

Pedersen

Played Myst and Riven a lot in my childhood, but I remember not being able to proceed at all. So I'm a little scared of going into this, but I'm hellbent on doing it without too much help lol

woxel1

OHHHHH I am so excited! I've been hoping for years that Cyan would have an opportunity to return to the kind of mysterious puzzle solving games that put them on the map. Time to get a journal and a pen...

prag16

Banned
Played Myst and Riven a lot in my childhood, but I remember not being able to proceed at all. So I'm a little scared of going into this, but I'm hellbent on doing it without too much help lol

Myst difficulty is fine for me as an adult (got rekt as a kid though). Though that stupid mazerunner section still roadblocked me for a bit when I went back to the games some years back.

Riven difficulty is on another level. I still needed a guide to help me here and there when I went back to it as an adult. Based on the reviews and feedback so far, Obduction stops short of Riven territory and is closer to something like Myst or Myst 3 in difficulty, which should be perfect.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game is an interesting one. They havent said jack shit about it outside of vague stuff. And its getting good reviews? Lol glad i backed it. Ima download it now just got my key. They gave me a GOG and Steam key so thats awesome.

Tain

VR support is coming soon, Rift first and Vive later.

Have they said much on "Vive" support? I'm mostly curious if it will be the same game as the OculusAPI version but using SteamVR, or if it will actually have motion control support.

Pedersen

Myst difficulty is fine for me as an adult (got rekt as a kid though). Though that stupid mazerunner section still roadblocked me for a bit when I went back to the games some years back.

Riven difficulty is on another level. I still needed a guide to help me here and there when I went back to it as an adult. Based on the reviews and feedback so far, Obduction stops short of Riven territory and is closer to something like Myst or Myst 3 in difficulty, which should be perfect.

Sounds good. Maybe I will muster up the courage to give Myst a try again after I see how well I'll manage in this game. I'm kinda excited to see how my grown brain will handle the Cyan logic. Recently it didn't go so well with The Witness:/

PolishQ

Have they said much on "Vive" support? I'm mostly curious if it will be the same game as the OculusAPI version but using SteamVR, or if it will actually have motion control support.

Here's the most detailed information we've gotten: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3gpydy/cyan_seems_to_confirm_at_mysterium_convention/

It doesn't specifically confirm motion controls, but room-scale seems to be in, as well as node-based "blink" movement, with the ability to physically walk around inside each node.

Psykoboy2

Rift comes first. But a Vive version is in the works. No idea on the details for that though. They will be at PAX and I'll try to remember to ask them.

Nzyme32

Nothing yet other than it is coming to Rift first and Vive (later)

A rare case of a Kickstarter game turning out awesome. And I'm a backer! Look for "There's always a lighthouse" in the credits :p

Congrats to Cyan, I had a hunch they were on to something when I signed on in 2013.

Inkwell

Banned
By the way, I was having some issues using a controller. I'm not sure if it matters that I'm using a DS4. The menu would randomly stop working with a controller, usually when I used a mouse to do something. I was also getting some keyboard prompts instead of xbox ones. Other than that the controller seemed fine in-game.

Zackat

yay reviews are good :D I was day 1 on this thing, it's installing right now.

Deus Ex gonna have to wait a little bit.

Edit: The skyboxes in this game are incredible.

~Kinggi~

Banned
this game looks crazy good. Unreal 4 is no joke. Art design is also amazing. And i can already tell this gonna be super weird.

takoyaki

Have they mentioned if a console version of Obduction is in the works?

I've been intrigued by the game ever since someone mentioned it in one of the Witness threads as the next big puzzle game.

Zackat

where are the screenshots saved that you take with spacebar?

edit: nvm those are just photos you take ingame

Top Bottom