• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obduction |OT| Explore, uncover, solve, decide in a Mysterious world

Afro

I'm getting some hitching/stutter running around in the desert area. 980 Ti, i7 3770, g-sync. 1080p res.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Controller controls are a bit glitchy. that dont seem to work in menus, but in-game it seems fine. Im only playing controller because im on my TV. Game looks beautiful at 60fps maxed with a 980ti, although id expect that. Game has multiple control methods, like old-school point and click with old school fade camera movement. So far this is a Myst-ass-myst game im getting excited. Hope it stays good.

I'm getting some hitching/stutter running around in the desert area. 980 Ti, i7 3770, g-sync. 1080p res.

every now and then ill notice a small one but not anything i thought worth mentioning. Have a 6700k and 16 ram though and my pc fan is blowing fierce

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Ill get this when the VR option is in. It sounds awesome.

Pedersen

how do you get the center cursor to disappear? I just wanna take a screenshot without it lol

Press the C button.

This game is too pretty, man

306760_20160824191116kkkx6.png

rje

Played about 90 minutes before work today - so far it's great.

Took me a bit to realize that the camera system works as a note taking system - first half hour I used it almost entirely to take screenshots of pretty locations. :p So yeah if you don't want to write stuff down on paper just use the camera.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Played about 90 minutes before work today - so far it's great.

Took me a bit to realize that the camera system works as a note taking system - first half hour I used it almost entirely to take screenshots of pretty locations. :p So yeah if you don't want to write stuff down on paper just use the camera.

lmao didn't even realize this too. Well now im gonna start taking notes.

Spoo

Maybe about 2 hours in. Very interesting game so far. I like that the puzzles are very built in to the world, and not obvious in-your-face "you must do X" stuff. They help here and there with signaling, but it's very much an 'explore and a path will be opened to you' game, if you're perceptive about the environment. A lot of times it comes down to "when in doubt, try it" to move forward.

~Kinggi~

Banned
There is an actual narrative too like Myst, which is great. Good ol actors doing their FMV thing lol. Now im just hoping the game isnt too short.

yeah I'm getting some as well with all ultra settings on my 1070 with i7 5820k, gsync.

It looks beautiful though.

this area makin my card chug lol

Hm...I have a 1060. If it doesn't run that well then idk. Is there a frame lock setting or something? I'd lock at 30 if I could.

Ludens

Banned
I think it's a pretty much a safe bet saying this is truly a spiritual successor to Myst, the atmosphere, the way it plays...they are all in.
I played just a bit, wondering around, solving a couple of puzzles (well, the first one was literally "pull a level"), now I'm exploring around.
Any news about how long the game should be?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
It's incredible how much it's another one of those.
I just got to my first "Age"

rezn0r

Knew it had a release date but the excitement didn't hit me until I just redeemed my Steam code and hit install. Going to sneak out of work early in awhile!

skonvolt

I don't know if i can use my "FULL KNOWLEDGE" of the D'ni language again, but i got the game

A girl appear on the wooden path and i fall from the chair, RIVEN
Thank you CYAN

Zackat

Hm...I have a 1060. If it doesn't run that well then idk. Is there a frame lock setting or something? I'd lock at 30 if I could.

I bet if you put a setting or two down to high instead of ultra you would be fine. you pay for ultra settings pretty hard in games lately.

megalowho

Really looking forward to this as a backer. Solid reviews, happy for Cyan.

Will poke around until I get stuck and then try to put it out of mind until the VR version is complete.. not sure if that's feasible but having recently picked up a Vive I'd love to experience this kind of game in there.

Christ this game got so little push, I've been following it more of less and was surprised to see the OT/it being released today. Will have to nab it later. Hope they still got that world building magic intact from the old games.

prag16

Banned
There is an actual narrative too like Myst, which is great. Good ol actors doing their FMV thing lol. Now im just hoping the game isnt too short.

After The Witness (hate to keep shitting on that game because I liked it overall, but I think it's a valid comparison) totally dropped a ball on the narrative side.
WOW, LOOK A THIS! IT'S FUCKING NOTHING.

As far as length, one of the reviews I think said 10-20 hours. I'm slow with these types of games; wandering around, etc. It'll probably be more than the high end of that for me. Can't complain for $25 (price I paid when backing this).

I'm stuck.

It's just like I'm playing Myst again.

And I love it.

scumcone.png

jwj442

Does anyone know if there are multiple worlds, if so how many? Can spoiler tag for others.
I was a backer, and their initial goal was
3 worlds (I think this is in addition to a hub world, but not sure). They talked about possibly increasing that but I don't know if they did in the end or how much.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I was a backer, and their initial goal was
3 worlds (I think this is in addition to a hub world, but not sure). They talked about possibly increasing that but I don't know if they did in the end or how much.

I mean,
more than 1 is already more than what i was expecting. First area is so cool as it is and there are a shit ton of things i have no idea what to do with. Some of the screens look completely different than this world. Very exciting.

After The Witness (hate to keep shitting on that game because I liked it overall, but I think it's a valid comparison) totally dropped a ball on the narrative side.
WOW, LOOK A THIS! IT'S FUCKING NOTHING.

As far as length, one of the reviews I think said 10-20 hours. I'm slow with these types of games; wandering around, etc. It'll probably be more than the high end of that for me. Can't complain for $25 (price I paid when backing this).

scumcone.png

Same, due to historically how much a dumbass I am with Cyan puzzles :p

If this is on Riven levels this'll be like an Elder Scrolls game for me time investment wise XD

~Kinggi~

Banned
Holy shit on my 980ti with all Epic settings game uses 5.5 gb of vram lol. But its mostly 60 fps on my 60hz display so thats good. Wondering what perf is like on lower end machines with lesser settings.

Holy shit on my 980ti with all Epic settings game uses 5.5 gb of vram lol. But its mostly 60 fps on my 60hz display so thats good. Wondering what perf is like on lower end machines with lesser settings.

This must be why I'm getting stuttering on my 980 with it's 4GB RAM. Guess I'll try and turn down the texture setting if it's that VRAM intensive. Between this and Mankind Divided 4GB VRAM is definitely seeming outdated!

Haven't got to play much, will return to it after work tonight. How nice for two games I've been anticipating to come out side by side!

Psykoboy2

Can't even get the game to install. On Steam the connection times out during the "preparing Obduction files for install" part.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Can't even get the game to install. On Steam the connection times out during the "preparing Obduction files for install" part.

People are having this issue. Suggested fix is to change your steam download location to Seattle. Something about the servers not propagating to other regions. There are other places that work i think, check steam community area people are discussing fixes.

Stoze

10-20 hours is way longer than I was expecting if that's true. For some reason I assumed 7-8 hours, maybe because they said it was comparable to the length of Myst or something a while back.

Either way I'm very excited, I'm still waiting on some new headphones to come in before I jump in. Basically planning on just playing this all weekend. Game looks gorgeous in those screenshots.

~Kinggi~

Banned
so are these puzzles crazy myst obscure? what about the narrative?

Narrative has been based on FMV people and some text and VO stuff so far, but im very early. I imagine the story will stay like that, just like Myst/Riven. Puzzles is hard to say, most people havent gotten very far yet, but im still progressing, not stuck yet.

Psykoboy2

People are having this issue. Suggested fix is to change your steam download location to Seattle. Something about the servers not propagating to other regions. There are other places that work i think, check steam community area people are discussing fixes.

Seattle did the trick. Thanks!

I didn't play Exile until a few years ago, but it was surprisingly good, being far less heralded than Myst/Riven. Never got around to finishing Revelations or End of Ages. Need to do that some day.

I never got my hands on Myst 4 or End of Ages either. They aren't available online to download--at least I don't think they are.

I heard Myst 4 was great.

Riven is still my favorite Myst game. The world observational/context elements to the puzzles are so cool.

owasog

It's mostly 60fps on my GTX 970 too. Max settings (1080p). With a few stutters though, probably because of the 3.5GB VRAM.

CHC

This sounds (and looks) fantastic. Came out of nowhere for me, I only learned of its existence about a week ago.

Bl@de

Found out about it today. Game looks great and reviews are positive. Will put it on my wishlist. Should be a great holiday game for long winter days :)

Ludens

Banned
A little help needed:
I unlocked the moving chart with the ray, I backtracked near the beginning of the game, near the house. My guess is I should break the barrier by pointing the laser on those red things, but if I follow the tracks I end in a dead alley, near the graveyard, and I can't see the red thingy. What can I do?
I already opened the house if this can help.

~Kinggi~

Banned
A little help needed:
I unlocked the moving chart with the ray, I backtracked near the beginning of the game, near the house. My guess is I should break the barrier by pointing the laser on those red things, but if I follow the tracks I end in a dead alley, near the graveyard, and I can't see the red thingy. What can I do?
I already opened the house if this can help.

If you push the cart backwards near the river you get a clear shot at the red laser and that kills it.

jwj442

My mini-review of Myst IV:
  • Graphics and art design are gorgeous of course - the pre-rendered beauty you expect from the series, only this time the static backgrounds are animated.
  • There are small but very nice mechanical additions. You can "tap" surfaces to hear what they sound like, and you get an amulet that lets you view flashbacks.
  • Music is close to Myst III and generally good.
  • Story is pretty good. Atrus is older, has a daughter now, want to see if his sons have a chance at redemption (a slight retcon to the way Myst's trap books work, I think). It does take some bizarre turns in the third age though - too bizarre for some people.
  • The game is definitely longer than Myst and Exile.
  • The hub world is small but wonderful.
  • The first two ages are great. They're like mini-Rivens in the way you have to piece clues together from all over and the way everything fits together. They're also larger than every other age besides Riven. A couple of annoying timed puzzles, but overall they're some of the strongest ages in the series.
  • The third age (which opens after you complete one of the first two) looks nice and has some good parts, but it has a lot of magical/mystical stuff that's different from the rest of the series. Some people think this age ruins the game. I did not really get far enough to see if the hate is deserved. But parts of it were a jarring change from what you'd expect from the series, and I will say that there are a lot of very badly acted characters in there.
  • Unfortunately the physical copy has SecuROM and there is no digital yet.
  • Disclaimer: I have only completed one age and partially advanced through two more - I got really busy during my playthrough and forgot to pick it back up. So this is not an authoritative review.
Basically, it's not Riven but it's good. In some ways it's better than Myst and Exile, but it is also more uneven. I have Myst V (physical) but have not played it.

Ludens

Banned
If you push the cart backwards near the river you get a clear shot at the red laser and that kills it.

Wait, so I need to
interact with the red laser pointing in the air? Because I already tried but nothing happened apparently.

Top Bottom