• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obduction |OT| Explore, uncover, solve, decide in a Mysterious world

Ludens

Banned
Well yeah, point it through the gate at the machine that shoots the laser itself.

Lol, I didn't think about doing that. So in this case what's the purpose of
bringing the chart back to the beginning of the hub? Just to getrid of glowing rocks?

EDIT: Nevermind
I just saw there are more tracks for the chart behind those barriers.

Zackat

ok I am done being stuck at this part. how do I
get underground to "connect the trees and roots"

Edit: I am done, 2+ hours and I couldn't figure that out. I looked everywhere.

Ludens

Banned
I'm stuck it too, but I think it's a very stupid thing:
I need to call a number, 1-555-helpyou!, or 1-555-435-7968, but no matter what combination I use on the phone, nothing happens. I mean, I'm not even sure I need to solve this or whatever, but I think if the number is in the game and there's a phone, I can call.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lol everyone giving up so early! Me personally im stuck
with the cart in the scrap heap on the other side of the fence. Not sure what to do.

Zackat

with the cart in the scrap heap on the other side of the fence. Not sure what to do.

I'm not quitting, I just had to step away for a while. It is frustrating going around in circles.

Ludens

Banned

I think that part serves only to
reverse the position of your chart. I'm pretty sure you need to do something with the ray involving the sphere since you can rotate it, but behind the sphere there's also an antenna-like thingy but the ray does nothing on it.

Any help with my problem? I mean, I wanna know if its an actual puzzle or just an easter egg :D

Vexidus

I won't be able to fully dive into the game until my son is in bed, but I did fire it up to tweak the graphics settings and check it out and, WOW!

For one thing, my CPU is below the min spec (2010 computer, first gen i5) with an oldish video card I upgraded to (GTX 750) and I'm getting way over 30fps with settings on high at 1680x1050. I can probably bump a few things up actually but so far I am extremely impressed by how good this thing is running.

Standing in the moonlight listening to all the ambient sounds and wonderful music, and having the game running well made me SO happy. I definitely got the old Myst vibes in the atmosphere. This game was made with love.

I walked around the second area as well and my god, this game. I want to savour every minute of it.

AgeEighty

Man, I didn't think this game would so closely hew to the feel of Myst... and I'm loving it. The way the puzzles are just laid out with no hand holding and you need to carefully examine the environment for clues is so true to what I've loved about Cyan's past work.

The creativity of lore on display is just lovely. And the graphics aren't the most technically impressive but they do combine to create a really stunning environment. I'm fortunate to be able to run the game on max settings with a pretty steady framerate; only a few hitches here and there.

Zackat

I figured it out!!!

god damn there is some cool visuals in this game.

Ah shit that flew right over me head damn im STOOPID. But at least i made it to another world.

how about that
sequence where you go to another world

that will look so fucking cool in VR

nickcv

Don't get me wrong: the game looks great and I'm definitely going to buy it, but there is something I don't understand.

This has not been made by cyan ex employees. This was made by cyan themselves. Why didn't they just make a proper myst? They don't own the rights anymore?

Gurrry

Is this game available for mac? Before release I read that it would be but when I look at the steam page I only see Windows.

Is the mac version coming out later?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I need to call a number, 1-555-helpyou!, or 1-555-435-7968, but no matter what combination I use on the phone, nothing happens. I mean, I'm not even sure I need to solve this or whatever, but I think if the number is in the game and there's a phone, I can call.
I tried the same thing and then realized there's no handle XD

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is this game available for mac? Before release I read that it would be but when I look at the steam page I only see Windows.

Is the mac version coming out later?

3dfcc7ee40a2ff0100b33ea141a30c75.png

megalowho

Don't get me wrong: the game looks great and I'm definitely going to buy it, but there is something I don't understand.

This has not been made by cyan ex employees. This was made by cyan themselves. Why didn't they just make a proper myst? They don't own the rights anymore?
They wanted to make a game in the tradition of Myst but still be a fresh start, not get tied to an existing world. Think they mentioned in the original pitch it'd be easier to make another Myst but more satisfying to try something new.

They could've, they most certainly own the rights, but they decided they wanted to do something new. Part of the magic of the original Myst that could never be quite recaptured other than perhaps with Riven is being dumped into a new world with no idea what's going on and needing to work out the mystery of where you are and what happened. In all future Myst games particularly Exile onwards, you already knew all about Atrus and the D'ni. The games became less about the mystery of the setting and more about Atrus' struggles, and there was nothing wrong with that but Cyan wanted to work on something that recapture that magic of mystery.

~Kinggi~

Banned
oh goddamn boom there it is. Obscure gigantic contraption with numbers and dials and good lord wtf

How long is the game? I mean, I'm probably going to buy it regardless but I'm curious as to how long the ride will last.

heck of a lot longer than i thought it was going to be. Im gonna guess 10-30 hours. Ive played for like 6 now and have barely touched 2 large areas.

Oh wow, didn't know this was coming out so soon and all of a sudden I was greeted by it when I opened steam. Look forward to playing it this weekend.

They could really use a bigger marketing team. There is a large amount of people that still have fond memories of Myst. Granted, most of these people probably don't read video game news sites.

oh goddamn boom there it is. Obscure gigantic contraption with numbers and dials and good lord wtf

heck of a lot longer than i thought it was going to be. Im gonna guess 10-30 hours. Ive played for like 6 now and have barely touched 2 large areas.

Geeze, I was expecting like, 6 hours for the total length! After the story of the failed publisher and them having to cut back to make the game leaner I really wasn't expecting it to last as long as people are saying it does.

Drain You

Whattttt how did I not hear about this till now. Myst and Riven are absolute classics in my eyes. Can't wait to try this sometime.

They could really use a bigger marketing team. There is a large amount of people that still have fond memories of Myst. Granted, most of these people probably don't read video game news sites.
Hell, a big reason why people were so excited for The Witness was because they wanted another sprawling puzzle adventure in that vein

~Kinggi~

Banned
There are 70 buttons and dials on this fucking thing. I will call it 'The Machine of dead playthroughs'.

Word of mouth should work, it is clearly one of those games that is really really good and people will start to notice.

Vexidus

Played it for a bit today and loving it so far. Love the music especially, glad Robyn was able to do it.

Yeah, I was really pumped to hear that Robyn was involved with this game. Myst 5 felt like it was missing something partly due to his absence. From the little I've played so far, the music is fantastic.

prag16

Banned
They probably largely don't have rigs that can run this either. But yeah, they could use some more promotion. I see this getting great word of mouth though.

I'll be firing this up shortly. Deus Ex has the night off.

epmode

This is so much more impressive than I expected from the Kickstarter budget. Looks and sounds great. Stylish as hell.

Zackat

Is it well optimized?

it's alright, there are some spots that my frames dip to noticeably bad.

I am at 1080p, full ultra settings.

I have a 1070, 5820k, 16gb ram.

For a Kickstarter game though, it is pretty damn impressive.

Edit: when I say noticeably bad I mean below 30, and it was only in like 1 spot and it actually has a loading screen. Most of the time I am averaging about 80-100. I haven't heard about lower spec'd hardware much in here yet.

sqwarlock

it's alright, there are some spots that my frames dip to noticeably bad.

I am at 1080p, full ultra settings.

I have a 1070, 5820k, 16gb ram.

For a Kickstarter game though, it is pretty damn impressive.

Edit: when I say noticeably bad I mean below 30, and it was only in like 1 spot and it actually has a loading screen. Most of the time I am averaging about 80-100. I haven't heard about lower spec'd hardware much in here yet.

Huh, that makes me wonder how my 770, 2500k, and 8GB will handle it.

Zackat

Huh, that makes me wonder how my 770, 2500k, and 8GB will handle it.

lower some settings and you would probably be fine. you are above the minimum specs.

edit: this is it. this is where my playthrough dies, I don't even know where the fuck to go from here.

bg6weUf.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
lower some settings and you would probably be fine. you are above the minimum specs.

edit: this is it. this is where my playthrough dies, I don't even know where the fuck to go from here.

bg6weUf.jpg

i told you all. 70 buttons and dials. I counted.

Ill give a hint though that might help you
there are two portals in that world, one of which allows you to do something near the river and get access when you couldnt before

Ozium

I want to get this so bad but no launch discount and me being immersed into Mankind Divided and having some other upcoming games I've already bought, means I might wait for the winter sale :/

I was actually kind of betting on this game getting delayed again because they were so quiet up to launch..

glad to hear people are enjoying it

Erevador

This is definitely a game that could grow in audience through fans talking about it and doing the job marketing would be doing if Cyan had a bigger studio. Honestly, it's so impressive they made a game this great looking on this low budget.

Hope more people discover the game, and hopefully it gets written about more in the hipper game sites.

Dsyndrome

Bought it today, will probably wait until my new laptop comes with the GTX 1080 to get into it. Xotic PC needs to hurry up...

Vexidus

Man, this game is something else. I just played for an hour and a half, and haven't felt a sense of wonder this strong since Riven. Seriously, the world is interconnected so beautifully and naturally, and it's HUGE! I just walked around and explored every nook and cranny and solved my first real puzzle
getting the train engine/generator running
and that's when I stopped for the night.

Just exploring the world is a joy, and the design is so lovely. There are tons of interesting and mysterious things. Lots of places you can look at but can't access yet, but see ways of gaining access further down the road. Following pipes and wires to places, figuring out how things are connected. Seeing enigmatic machinery that you know you'll have to interact with at some point, seeing strange alien artifacts. The entire world is so damn tantalizing, and absolutely gorgeous.

I didn't think I would play another game this year or next few years that tops the feeling of wonder like The Witness, but this game is just killing it.

Instro

Looks great, glad to see that it turned out so well. I'll wait on picking it up for now though, I'm planning to upgrade my GPU later this year, so that will be a better time I think.

Top Bottom