• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion PC system reqs announced

siege

Banned
What are the PC system requirements? New!

Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 1 GB System RAM
* ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP
* 512MB System RAM
* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
* and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
* 8x DVD-ROM drive
* 4.6 GB free hard disk space
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

* ATI X1800 series
* ATI X1300 series
* ATI X850 series
* ATI x800 series
* ATI x700 series
* ATI x600 series
* ATI Radeon 9800 series
* ATI Radeon 9700 series
* ATI Radeon 9600 series
* ATI Radeon 9500 series
* ATI Radeon 9000 series
* NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
* NVIDIA GeForce FX series

I guess the Betheseda rep saying it ran great on his 4 year old machine was full of shit...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Damn I spent too much on my computer, that is exactly my system (except I just added 512mb or ram)

demi

Oh man I just barely scratch the surface...

512MB
1.9GHz AMD
Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB

I can probably run it at like 800x600 :D

LAMBO

That's pretty much my PC too, but i'll beef it up when certain vid cards and processors get cheaper. Shadows off!!

Guess it's low-med for me then, considering system requirements usually are horrible lies. But at least I'll be able to play the damn game.

AMD64 2800+
1GB RAM
6800GT

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
looking at these makes the 360 version look far more appealing(especially from a mass consumer perspective), even though I am currently building a new comp that exceeds the recommendations

I'll probably be OK.

eVGA Geforce 7800 GT
Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.52 GHz (315x8)
2x1GB of Corsair Value Select @ 2.5-3-3-7 1T, 157 MHz

The 7800 is running at stock everything right now, so I can overclock it if I need to.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
YES! I make the recommendations!

3.8Ghz Pentium 4
1GB of DDR2 RAM (probably gonna double that before the game hits)
ATI Radeon X850 XT

Stryder

Perfect, my system is pretty much the recommended one.
P4 2.8, 1gb of ram and a 6800GT.

Now to choose between which I will get, X360 or PC version.

LAMBO

GashPrex said:
looking at these makes the 360 version look far more appealing(especially from a mass consumer perspective), even though I am currently building a new comp that exceeds the recommendations

Well "mass consumer" is a term that has nothing to do with pc gaming. the 360 version will outsell and be the commonly referred to version no matter what. I'm just thankful to the devs that this game is comming to pc with mod tools like they did with morrwind.

Raistlin

P4 (w/HT) @ 3Ghz
512 MB RAM (dual channel DDR2 I believe) - I'll probably double this soon.

See, the problem is - I have a Dell Dimension 3000. And with it, that crappy old Intel MoBo. :\

PCI ftl

I have an Nvidia 6200 PCI (128MB) arriving in a couple of days. Unfortunately, that about the best you can do for PCI.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
My AMD processor is listed at being clocked at 2.0 GHz. I've heard that the clock speed on AMDs are really lower than what they actually are. Any truth to this? My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1 GB RAM
X800 pro 256mb

Lukkas

Banned
Coin Return said:
My AMD processor is listed at being clocked at 2.0 GHz. I've heard that the clock speed on AMDs are really lower than what they actually are. Any truth to this? My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1 GB RAM
X800 pro 256mb

Yes. My 3800 is clocked at 2.4 ghz. But it doesnt matter, they actually operate faster than the intels.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Aww shit, I was hoping I could get by with my ram and cpu and just have to upgrade the video card. NOPE! Poor people can't be pc gamers anyway I guess.

Lukkas

Banned
emomoonbase said:
Aww shit, I was hoping I could get by with my ram and cpu and just have to upgrade the video card. NOPE! Poor people can't be pc gamers anyway I guess.

How can you afford next gen consoles then where you need a 1000 dollar t.v. at min to even tell if the game looks next gen or not

Lukkas

Banned
Minotauro said:
Oblivion 360 reqs also announced:

* Xbox 360
* controller
* electricity
* television

those recommended requirements will probably be cheaper if you buy the parts on new egg than the television alone youll need for the 360 so the game doesnt look Fable on the Xbox 1.

Lukkas said:
those recommended requirements will probably be cheaper if you buy the parts on new egg than the television alone youll need for the 360 so the game doesnt look Fable on the Xbox 1.

You honestly believe that? :lol

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Lukkas said:
How can you afford next gen consoles then where you need a 1000 dollar t.v. at min to even tell if the game looks next gen or not

Who the fuck said I was buying any of those either douchesack? Did I wrong you in a past life?

Lukkas

Banned
FallenOne666 said:
You honestly believe that? :lol

Ive seen it. I saw Kameo running on a SDTV and it looks no better than Conker for Xbox. DOA4 on a SDTV looks EXACT minus some nicer looking textures to DOAUltimate.

My friend isnt planning to get any new 360 games until his family buys a HDTV or he can get a flat plasma with a vga plug. Either option will be very expensive.

Lukkas said:
Ive seen it. I saw Kameo running on a SDTV and it looks no better than Conker for Xbox. DOA4 on a SDTV looks EXACT minus some nicer looking textures to DOAUltimate.

My friend isnt planning to get any new 360 games until his family buys a HDTV or he can get a flat plasma with a vga plug. Either option will be very expensive.

Yeah, the problem with that is that those games are not Oblivion (a true next-gen game). You think Fight Night 3 will look like FN2, or MGS4 like MGS3 on a SD tv? Don't be silly.

Lukkas

Banned
FallenOne666 said:
Yeah, the problem with that is that those games are not Oblivion (a true next-gen game). You think Fight Night 3 will look like FN2, or MGS4 like MGS3 on a SD tv? Don't be silly.

ofcourse not. but the whole focus of these new consoles, x360 and ps3 atleast, is that youll only get their true visuals is with a 1000 dollar tv, pretty much fucking over 90% of the people that buy them.

instead of focusing so much on running these games in 720p and 1080p devs are sacrificing lots of detail and effects in order to get these games to run at those resolutions for only a fraction of the market userbase.

Coin Return said:
My AMD processor is listed at being clocked at 2.0 GHz. I've heard that the clock speed on AMDs are really lower than what they actually are.
If you mean that the number in the product's name doesn't match up to its speed in MHz, then this is true. My Venice 3000+ is only 1.8 GHz at stock. Even overclocked it's still well below 3000 MHz.

black_13

Banned
wait so what is the AMD 64 3700 equivilant to in Pentium terms?

Aside from that I seem to meet or exceed every other requirement.

LAMBO

Pc gaming is for the few willing to pay and configure for the hope of wider range of control, graphics, and user created content creating years of enjoyment.

If freespace 2 came out for xbox or ps2, sure it would have been easier to get working and cheaper in terms of required hardware, but freespace 2 came out for the pc in 1998, and it is still getting better!!!

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/inferno/screens/shot12.jpg

If the mod community is strong enough i could still be playhing Oblivion years from now.

Slo

black_13 said:

~ Pentium @ 3.7 Ghz

Pushing the limits of sanity with my 3-year-old mobo:

Athlon XP 2400+
1.5GB DDR
X800 Pro

I should at least be able to run it as fast as I can run Morrowind on this system! Ha! Haha! Hahahahahahah!

Lukkas

Banned
black_13 said:

a 3700 can either be 2.4 clocked or 2.2. Most likely 2.4 but with a smaller l2 cache then the 3800.

But in Petium terms thats exactly what its equivilant too, a 3700. The actual clock speed cant be compared to the Intels because the way they work is different. Thats why AMD puts the higher numbers first and the clocks second in little letters.

cool, sounds good to me.

A64 X2 4200+
X850 XT PE
2GB Ram

should be able to run it with full gfx quality and hopefully some form of AA and AF.

Lukkas

Banned
WTF happend to this game ? Did they downgrade the graphics ? I havent looked at any shots of it for awhile and these are the latest I find.

the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20051027034438083.jpg

649_0001.jpg

649_0003.jpg

I hope these are some very bad shots caught at very bad angles and the game still looks like this

924363_20041023_screen001.jpg

924363_20041105_screen001.jpg

924363_20050404_screen002.jpg

siege

Banned
Lukkas said:
WTF happend to this game ? Did they downgrade the graphics ? I havent looked at any shots of it for awhile and these are the latest I find.

the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20051027034438083.jpg

649_0001.jpg

649_0003.jpg

I hope these are some very bad shots caught at very bad angles and the game still looks like this

924363_20041023_screen001.jpg

924363_20041105_screen001.jpg

924363_20050404_screen002.jpg

That happens with every game. The first screenshots are heavily touched up and then later near the release, you get what it really looks like.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
According to SteveMeister, the only real graphical downgrade was that they killed the uber-expensive self-shadowing on all world objects. Characters and monsters still self-shadow, IIRC, but things like apples, cups, etc (everyday items) do not anymore. This is true of both PC and X360 versions, btw.

Top Bottom