• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes November 10th

Boke1879

I hope everyone so sure of a PS4 win aren't shocked if it doesn't win the month. For me it's a toss up. I literally have no idea.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Less consoles sold + more profit.
More consoles sold + less profit.

MS did the latter last year so I am guessing they were relying on Halo to help them out with the former this year.

Pretty this. It looks like this time MS wanna see some money from XBOX sector this year.

I hope everyone so sure of a PS4 win aren't shocked if it doesn't win the month. For me it's a toss up. I literally have no idea.

This month will be pretty close, that's for sure. Not gonna be shocked if XB1 wins.
But for what i seen for now, PS4 > XB1 seem more likely than XB1 > PS4.

Well... we will know in one day. :D

Boke1879

Pretty this. It looks like this time MS wanna see some money from XBOX sector this year.

This month will be pretty close, that's for sure. Not gonna be shocked if XB1 wins.
But for what i seen for now, PS4 > XB1 seem more likely than XB1 > PS4.

Well... we will know in one day. :D

Yea it'll be close imo but I truly hope there won't be any genuinely shocked people in that thread if XB1 wins

tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif
YSkNTAx.gif

Kyoufu

Oh ok. Nevermind then

Yes you do..

I have 0 NPD sources and even if I did I wouldn't spoil it here.

Just seems to me that if MS is winning any month it'd be Halo month. That franchise sells consoles.

My sales predictions have been horribly wrong before so I'm willing to feast on crow again, but it's Halo 5, man. Halo 5. A 50 dollar price drop isn't really enough of a counter but Black Friday's $299 deals are where it's going to be at.

Shenmue

Banned
People will only be shocked if XB1 kick PS4 ass, I mean a significant gap between them.

I'd be extremely shocked if PS4 even got close much less won. Halo 5 broke guiness records and had the largest launch of any Halo game in history. Previous ones can't claim that and xbox kicked playstation's ass in all their launches.

I'm talking about shocked to the degree I'd be suspecting the accuracy of the count and Florida hanging chad recount stuff man.

mejin

It's Halo month and biggest Halo launch ever in history of mankind, Xbox kick PS ass won't be a shock at all, it's given.

I'd be extremely shocked if PS4 even got close much less won. Halo 5 broke guiness records and had the largest launch of any Halo game in history. Previous ones can't claim that and xbox kicked playstation's ass in all their launches.

tumblr_lv77688jZA1qcbby3o1_250.gif

Boke1879

It only had the biggest launch based on Money right? Not exactly sales? Didn't they include hardware in that as well?

UK it really didn't set the charts on fire and many predict about 1.5 million NPD for Halo 5 in the states. While that's great it no where near what the franchise has sold in the past.

Remind me, who is responsible for making all the popcorn this month? Is it Welfare or Rex? We are going to need a ton tomorrow night. Extra butter, please.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I wont be shocked if XBO does win....I will be mildly shocked if it doesnt. Even tho I left my final prediction with PS4 winning. I just kept making the gap smaller with each prediction change...lol.

Me too....me too....

Mankind?

wapplew

It only had the biggest launch based on Money right? Not exactly sales? Didn't they include hardware in that as well?

UK it really didn't set the charts on fire and many predict about 1.5 million NPD for Halo 5 in the states. While that's great it no where near what the franchise has sold in the past.

UK low sales mean all the sales come from NA, huge portion of that 400 millions.
That's why Xbox will take NPD or else how can you explain record breaking biggest ever highest rated Halo launch in history?

RexNovis

Banned
XB1 winning would heavily go against Amazon and what other online charts said over the month in October. Yeah, Amazon and online chartzz, but they've been a good gauge ever since.

Amazon banned if so......

Not really. Halo 5 bundle had a substantial amount of preorders in its reveal month. Since those aren't counted in October it could easily skew the results in PS4s favor.

Yea it'll be close imo but I truly hope there won't be any genuinely shocked people in that thread if XB1 wins
I bet my ass off that there's gonna be lots of "genuinely" shocked people no matter who wins. Get ready for "surprised" comments like "WOAH, Halo came out and still MS lost, how is that possible!" and "First price drop and only few days of Halo and Sony still lost, WOAH!"

viHuGi

Banned
Tomorrow will be fun over here, i hope mods wont go too serious on tomorrow NPD because things will get crazy.

As that said, i cant wait xD

Shenmue

Banned

I don't think anyone can really say for certain other than the guys at Microsoft. All I know is it was a freaking huge dollar amount that the game's launch brought in.

Boke1879

I bet my ass off that there's gonna be lots of "genuinely" shocked people no matter who wins. Get ready for "surprised" comments like "WOAH, Halo came out and still MS lost, how is that possible!" and "First price drop and only few days of Halo and Sony still lost, WOAH!"

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not going to confuse those types of "trolling" posts.

I'm more so talking about those meltdown inducing ones. You know which ones. Where the person is clearly hurt by the information.

dEvAnGeL

I will be surprised if Sony wins for sure but all things aside it wouldn't be improbable, most of the people that were play halo 5 already had an xbone

Wouldn't it be shocking if Xbox wins though?

I mean, there is a $50 price drop for the PS4. I expect big numbers out of both unless the PS4 price drop didn't do much in pushing the console.

Can't really say who'd win any more to be honest but I am super interested in seeing the boost the price drop provided the PS4.

I guess I expected a bit too much thinking there'd be a near 50% increase (not over last month but last October).

What if the PS4 wins? There are a lot of people that will be shocked the other way. It goes both ways.

Some of us that have lasted through many of these NPD threads are going to be fine, regardless of whomever wins. We know the NPD game, we know how PostSeason works. It will become pretty obvious why one console won over the other (Price Drop vs Halo at the most elementary level).

I wouldn't worry about either "side" just sit back and watch the fireworks. Get all your "Dead" images ready, get all your "BANNED" gifs ready. Get your popcorn ready. Hide your kids, hide your wife. I dont think there has been an NPD month Since Titanfall Month that was going to be so exciting either way, regardless of who "wins" October.

While I still expect XBO to sell (slightly) more than PS4, the only way I'd be genuinely surprised is if either console wins by a wide margin. Anything more than 80k difference either way and I'll probably raise an eyebrow.

I have 0 NPD sources and even if I did I wouldn't spoil it here.

Just seems to me that if MS is winning any month it'd be Halo month. That franchise sells consoles.

My sales predictions have been horribly wrong before so I'm willing to feast on crow again, but it's Halo 5, man. Halo 5. A 50 dollar price drop isn't really enough of a counter but Black Friday's $299 deals are where it's going to be at.

Thats next month. Lets keep our focus on October! I made the same mistake earlier in this thread lol. So much discussion about October NPD, it quickly started materializing into November NPD.

Boke1879

What if the PS4 wins? There are a lot of people that will be shocked the other way. It goes both ways.

Some of us that have lasted through many of these NPD threads are going to be fine, regardless of whomever wins. We know the NPD game, we know how PostSeason works. It will become pretty obvious why one console won over the other (Price Drop vs Halo at the most elementary level).

I wouldn't worry about either "side" just sit back and watch the fireworks. Get all your "Dead" images ready, get all your "BANNED" gifs ready. Get your popcorn ready. Hide your kids, hide your wife. I dont think there has been an NPD month Since Titanfall Month that was going to be so exciting either way, regardless of who "wins" October.

For all intent and purposes. The XB1 SHOULD win this month. Halo 5 should have secured that. Yet here we are talking about the possiblity of a PS4 win. I think it would be more shocking if PS4 won.

Amazon chart for october:

#19 PS4 Uncharted Bundle
#25 XB1 Halo 5 Bundle
#26 PS4 LE Star Wars Bundle (counted for november)
#39 PS4 COD Bundle (counted for november)
#49 PS4 TLOU Bundle
#59 PS4 Destiny Bunle
#77 XB1 GOW Bundle
#89 PS4 Star Wars Bundle (counted for november)

For the record, I'm totally not expecting xb1 to win and this is a big reason why im just saying if xb1 somehow does manage to win we can point the myriad of bundles as a reason why.

In my numbers, I have the PS4 winning by a slim margin even though I mostly expect the XB1 to take October.

Like others have already said, the ONLY way I'd be shocked tomorrow (no matter who wins) is if the gap is HUGE!

Shenmue

Banned
Wouldn't it be shocking if Xbox wins though?

I mean, there is a $50 price drop for the PS4. I expect big numbers out of both unless the PS4 price drop didn't do much in pushing the console.

Can't really say who'd win any more to be honest but I am super interested in seeing the boost the price drop provided the PS4.

I guess I expected a bit too much thinking there'd be a near 50% increase (not over last month but last October).

I don't feel like the PS4 price drop is as big as the launch of Halo 5 because it's not like Sony broke a new price floor when it dropped. The Xbox One has been $349.99 for a long time now, Sony merely matched. If Sony had gone to $299 or even $329, I would agree that it would be shocking if Xbox won.

I don't know, I just don't feel like the price drop will be all that wow-inducing to the general public. I imagine a lot of people were thinking "Oh that's it? Xbox One has been that price for months."

Conduit

Banned
UK low sales mean all the sales come from NA, huge portion of that 400 millions.
That's why Xbox will take NPD or else how can you explain record breaking biggest ever highest rated Halo launch in history?

Halo 3 sales revenue vs. Halo 5 sales revenue + hardware included. You fell on MS's PR spin.

Top Bottom