• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus: Palmer Luckey Trying to Answer Questions

NoPiece

Facebook doesn't want to sell you hardware. They want to sell you services and show you ads

The question is how they are going to do that. They could very likely turn future OR systems into a closed platform for all we know.

How would a closed platform work that makes any sense, and would negatively impact gaming?

See, that's where your argument falls apart. There is no Half Life 3. :p

Trying to keep it optimistic. My gut response to the Facebook acquisition is "ugh", but ultimately I don't think it is bad.

Then why spend $2billion to hold back something that will be ready by the end of this year? So he wants money but he doesn't?

Like I said it's possible they release enthusiast products until a more mainstream option is possible

I'm not entirely sure what that would mean going forward though as transitioning a product from an enthusiast market to a casual one and changing focuses from almost purely gaming to well everything it would seem doesn't sound easy

Facebook may value trying to launch the mainstream version of the product as the first consumer product will get the most attention most likely

Selling OR to what 100,000 PC enthusiasts [is that too small an estimate?] is never going to make much money for Facebook so not sure why they would care about that or risk their brand over it

How would a closed platform work that makes any sense, and would negatively impact gaming?

Facebook controls the APIs for Oculus rift. Think of the kinect and the XB1. Sure it's just an input device and can be hacked for other applications but it will never reach the same level of support as it would if it had open APIs to begin with [although saying that a PC version of kinect 2.0 is coming out I think?]

Devs might be forced to create their own APIs to utilize the rift effectively. That's not a small investment

Are you asking how a closed platform would negatively impact gaming? You could only play games you bought on their platform. The Facebook OR platform/ecosystem.

I am pretty skeptical about the future of Oculus under their new ownership... but some of the responses to this news are just completely over-the-top. I feel like Luckey is doing his best to try to calm people down and people are just being mean for the sake of it.

I wonder how many of these people have Facebook accounts...

YuShtink

As shocked and appalled as I was upon first hearing of this, after some thought I really don't think Facebook is stupid enough to fuck with what Oculus has going here. Has a company ever shown as much promise without a retail product as Oculus has? If they're willing to spend 2 billion dollars to secure something like this, it's because they were massively impressed with Oculus' current direction.

It's not like Oculus is a company with a nice little service that's already been proven and is making tons of profits (like Instagram or Whatapp). Oculus has only the potential of it's prototype devices at this point. Facebook can only be in love with what Oculus is DOING not what rewards can be reaped from what they've already DONE. I think this is going to be very different than your typical "acquisition." And if they don't fuck it up, Facebook and Oculus could be onto something huge together. I'm uneasy about it, but I'm not going to write off Palmer and co as soulless sellouts who threw away the VR dream for a quick buck.

sflufan

Banned
If they're willing to spend 2 billion dollars to secure something like this, it's because they were massively impressed with Oculus' current direction.

Or their financial analysts are goddamned terrible and significantly overvalued an acquisition that has an extremely limited user base.

fade_

As shocked and appalled as I was upon first hearing of this, after some thought I really don't think Facebook is stupid enough to fuck with what Oculus has going here. Has a company ever shown as much promise without a retail product as Oculus has? If they're willing to spend 2 billion dollars to secure something like this, it's because they were massively impressed with Oculus' current direction.

It's not like Oculus is a company with a nice little service that's already been proven and is making tons of profits (like Instagram or Whatapp). Oculus has only the potential of it's prototype devices at this point. Facebook can only be in love with what Oculus is DOING not what rewards can be reaped from what they've already DONE. I think this is going to be very different than your typical "acquisition." And if they don't fuck it up, Facebook and Oculus could be onto something huge together. I'm uneasy about it, but I'm not going to write off Palmer and co as soulless sellouts who threw away the VR dream for a quick buck.

"According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/t...l-reality-headset.html?hpw&rref=business&_r=0

Let's hope this is not true

Mit-

This all sounds great and it sounds like I will be getting a better quality Oculus Rift with a lower price point and an earlier release date.

Excellent. Haven't seen a single reasonable complaint yet.

demolitio

By the sounds of it, Palmer really thinks he did this for good intentions (or at least acts that way obviously) so the real question is whether or not he's naive and if FB will adhere to his vision. I don't think a company like FB buys something like this just to make money off of the original plan but to implement their own plans with it as well.

To think FB is just going to be a silent partner writing the checks as if this was a Shark Tank product is quite optimistic. I don't doubt it will still be great for gaming, but it will be shoved down people's throats for other things as well.

Virtual reality ads to make you feel like you're sitting down inside a McDonald's with a juicy burger and some fries in front of you while something crazy goes on in the background...I can see it now.

NoPiece

Facebook controls the APIs for Oculus rift. Think of the kinect and the XB1. Sure it's just an input device and can be hacked for other applications but it will never reach the same level of support as it would if it had open APIs to begin with [although saying that a PC version of kinect 2.0 is coming out I think?]

Devs might be forced to create their own APIs to utilize the rift effectively. That's not a small investment

Are you asking how a closed platform would negatively impact gaming? You could only play games you bought on their platform. The Facebook OR platform/ecosystem.

But why would Facebook close the API? That just limits the usefulness and sales of the headset. If their goal is to have people using VRFacebook in the future. they want as many people as possible to buy Rifts, and even other headsets. It would make more sense to have an open API, and even share it with Sony so people could Facebook on the PS4.

Even Microsoft opened the Kinect APIs for PC, and Facebook is a lot more open and forward looking than MS.

But why would Facebook close the API? That just limits the usefulness and sales of the headset. If their goal is to have people using VRFacebook in the future. they want as many people as possible to buy Rifts, and even other headsets. It would make more sense to have an open API, and even share it with Sony so people could Facebook on the PS4.

Even Microsoft opened the Kinect APIs for PC, and Facebook is a lot more open and forward looking than MS.

I will admit having an open API is a distinct possibility

The problem is what you yourself said earlier

What does that even mean? It is hardware and and API. If there is facebook software bundled with it, who cares? I plug in a rift, launch steam, then launch Half Life 3, what exactly do you think is going to happen? How is FB going to insert itself and ruin the experience?

How is Facebook going to make money off you if you do the bold? They want money from users after the hardware purchase. Having an Open API runs the risk of whatever services/software/ads they try to push or sell being completely circumvented by the userbase

Guess Who

Banned
I feel like Luckey is doing his best to try to calm people down and people are just being mean for the sake of it.

After reading his fairly reasonable, friendly, level-headed Reddit posts and then seeing how they're downvoted to hell for no reason, I'm inclined to agree.

After reading his fairly reasonable, friendly, level-headed Reddit posts and then seeing how they're downvoted to hell for no reason, I'm inclined to agree.

That's just how reddit works, though. The Oculus subreddit turning from a echo chamber of positive "we did it reddit!" sentiments into a hate circlejerk is a pretty common trend across most large subreddits.

NoPiece

I will admit having an open API is a distinct possibility

The problem is what you yourself said earlier

How is Facebook going to make money off you if you do the bold? They want money from users after the hardware purchase. Having an Open API runs the risk of whatever services/software/ads they try to push or sell being completely circumvented by the userbase

I think the plan will be something like: After I play HL3, I then log into Facebook and start a VR-Facebook chat session with my brother living in the UK, and while we talk, I get a floating feed of updates (and ad) from friends. Then I decide to book a trip to visit my brother, and check out some Facebook recommended hotels in London, and do a little virtual walkthrough.

Mit-

How is Facebook going to make money off you if you do the bold?

Just because most people can't think of something that isn't insane doesn't mean that the only options possible are insane.

The first post already talks about having a content distribution platform with ads on it. Palmer has also made it clear that they would never lock down such a thing on the Oculus platform (ie requiring you use said platform for any and all content that works with the Rift).

Just because it isn't required doesn't mean no one will use it. If I loathed Google but loved Amazon I could refuse to use the Google Play Store on my Android phone and instead use the Amazon Marketplace app. I could unsubscribe from everything Google possible and give them nothing valuable but the money used to purchase the phone (assuming this is a Google made phone).

It sounds like they previously had plans for a content distribution platform (something that would be very helpful for the growing medium of VR on an open platform like PC), and adding Facebook ads to said platform should not completely fucking obliterate the user experience and affect your ability to enjoy VR in any way. Hell if it's run via a website just use an adblocker.

Odrion

Banned
Is there anything someone can show me that disproves my opinion on Facebook being irrational, greedy, and short sighted?

By the sounds of it, Palmer really thinks he did this for good intentions (or at least acts that way obviously) so the real question is whether or not he's naive and if FB will adhere to his vision. I don't think a company like FB buys something like this just to make money off of the original plan but to implement their own plans with it as well.
I don't doubt this one bit, but I'm skeptical that it will be a net negative for gaming. Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but I really don't think Facebook is going to jam ads into every corner of the actual hardware unit, or lock it down to Facebook-specific software; I can't see a scenario where you're playing a non-Facebook game on Oculus and suddenly an ad pops up, or where the headset is only good for Facebook games and "virtual parties". The last thing they would want is poor word of mouth that stalls sales.

They will want this thing into as many peoples' hands as possible so that they can push their own social VR experiences, which then will probably have ads.However, I don't really think this is a bad thing, since the hardware being in more hands means more potential customers for VR game developers, which in turn means more focus on development of these titles.

Edit:
SwiftDeath said:
I'm sure Facebook will attempt to come up with various social VR apps that appeal to people.

Haines

Banned
This all sounds great and it sounds like I will be getting a better quality Oculus Rift with a lower price point and an earlier release date.

Excellent. Haven't seen a single reasonable complaint yet.

wat.
Go on Facebook. Is that the future of VR gaming to you?

LOL!

I think the plan will be something like: After I play HL3, I then log into Facebook and start a VR-Facebook chat session with my brother living in the UK, and while we talk, I get a floating feed of updates (and ad) from friends. Then I decide to book a trip to visit my brother, and check out some Facebook recommended hotels in London, and do a little virtual walkthrough.

That just doesn't sound at all compelling as a product to me though. It's all such minor things that could easily be done on a tablet after you take off your VR headset besides the virtual walkthrough

Just because most people can't think of something that isn't insane doesn't mean that the only options possible are insane.

I already admitted that an open API platform is a distinct possibility. It is my opinion that it isn't the most likely possibility. Nowhere do I say its an impossibility

The first post already talks about having a content distribution platform with ads on it. Palmer has also made it clear that they would never lock down such a thing on the Oculus platform (ie requiring you use said platform for any and all content that works with the Rift).

Just because it isn't required doesn't mean no one will use it. If I loathed Google but loved Amazon I could refuse to use the Google Play Store on my Android phone and instead use the Amazon Marketplace app. I could unsubscribe from everything Google possible and give them nothing valuable but the money used to purchase the phone (assuming this is a Google made phone).

It sounds like they previously had plans for a content distribution platform (something that would be very helpful for the growing medium of VR on an open platform like PC), and adding Facebook ads to said platform should not completely fucking obliterate the user experience and affect your ability to enjoy VR in any way. Hell if it's run via a website just use an adblocker.

But OR is a big investment by Facebook. It seems short-sighted to me to turn that investment into a long-term service that can be entirely circumvented if the users simply don't click with it. Similar to Google+ when more compelling solutions are offered

Wasdie

Neo Member
Is there anything someone can show me that disproves my opinion on Facebook being irrational, greedy, and short sighted?

How are they being greedy if they risk 400 million in cash on a completely unproven device that has only a tiny, niche market at the time of acquisition? They could have just pissed away that cash and all of that stock. Somebody who is just greedy wouldn't want to risk their money like that.

At this point, this could just be Zuckerberg thinking the Oculus Rift is an awesome machine and wanting to ensure that they can launch it properly. It's just such a weird move for Facebook to purchase such a company.

demolitio

I don't doubt this one bit, but I'm skeptical that it will be a net negative for gaming. Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but I really don't think Facebook is going to jam ads into every corner of the actual hardware unit, or lock it down to Facebook-specific software; I can't see a scenario where you're playing a non-Facebook game on Oculus and suddenly an ad pops up, or where the headset is only good for Facebook games and "virtual parties". The last thing they would want is poor word of mouth that stalls sales.

They will want this thing into as many peoples' hands as possible so that they can push their own social VR experiences, which then will probably have ads.However, I don't really think this is a bad thing, since the hardware being in more hands means more potential customers for VR game developers, which in turn means more focus on development of these titles.

Yea, I don't necessarily think it's going to be bad for gaming, but I don't think it's automatically inconsequential either. It's something that can only be answered after some time with FB at the helm.

As long as the gaming applications are separate from the FB motivations, the cash flow will end up helping OR.

I'm never one to be cynical so I'm not writing it off yet, but I do think some are naive to think FB won't do anything with it. Whether or not it hurts the product is what matters and I hope it doesn't.

Reallink

I wouldve done the same thing for much much less.

Any of you would.

This is not 2 years ago working out of a garage. They were already a very valuable brand with huge potential for success (so much so mega corps were making multi-billion dollar offers). Guy was already guaranteed a wealthy comfortable life without a mega buy out. Even if Oculus went completely belly up, he could have his pick of cushy, incredibly well paying jobs at any number of Tech/CE firms. So no, not everyone would have accepted a buy out, perhaps not even yourself.

Hopefully a dedicated hacking and modding group will fix all the problems that rift will now inevitably have. Or maybe Sony will make morpheus pc compatible.

Not exactly the same but Instagram hasn't changed (for the worse) since being bought by FB. They've even added decent video support.

Mit-

wat.
Go on Facebook. Is that the future of VR gaming to you?

LOL!

I'm sorry I must have missed the news that Oculus was shifting their focus to convert the Oculus Rift into Facebook. That wasn't in the OP I guess.

No more VR, the Oculus Rift is now Facebook. The social networking service.

I'm sorry I must have missed the news that Oculus was shifting their focus to convert the Oculus Rift into Facebook. That wasn't in the OP I guess.

No more VR, the Oculus Rift is now Facebook. The social networking service.

"As for exactly how Facebook will monetize Oculus, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on the call to investors, "We're clearly not a hardware company. We're not going to try to make a profit off of the hardware long-term...but if we can make this a network where people are communicating, and buying virtual goods, and there might be ads down the line...that’s where the business could come from."
http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/why...bought-oculus/

The time for optimism is over, now we search for alternatives

Mit-

"As for exactly how Facebook will monetize Oculus, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on the call to investors, "We're clearly not a hardware company. We're not going to try to make a profit off of the hardware long-term...but if we can make this a network where people are communicating, and buying virtual goods, and there might be ads down the line...that’s where the business could come from."

Because of ads on a store that you won't be required to use?

"Q What if Facebook tries to create its own version of Steam or Origin where all Oculus games have to go through?

A We are already working on our own VR game platform/launcher, but we are not going to force everything to go through it. Facebook has no interest in changing that, they believe in what we have been doing all along."

Because of ads on a store that you won't be required to use?

We'll see about that. I would certainly put money on facebook tightening the reins on content. Certainly there will be software certification required for it, which will allow facebook to have a grip on how people release software for it. Hacked riffs that can get around it might still be good, assuming they will also be able to get around the enormous amount of data mining facebook will do.

A We are already working on our own VR game platform/launcher, but we are not going to force everything to go through it. Facebook has no interest in changing that, they believe in what we have been doing all along."

If you want to put your faith in a spying megacorp feel free.

Mit-

We'll see about that. I would certainly put money on facebook tightening the reins on content. Certainly there will be software certification required for it, which will allow facebook to have a grip on how people release software for it. Hacked riffs that can get around it might still be good, assuming they will also be able to get around the enormous amount of data mining facebook will do.

What data mining related to a VR headset are people so worried about?

That they know what you buy and play on it? Even though that would be limited to you using their content distribution platform, EVERY content distribution platform knows this about all of its customers and the huge ones ALL leverage said info to pipe relevant ads and suggestions to you.

YuShtink

Elitro

At this point i'm not really sure about what to think of this.

I believe that Palmer did this with the best of intentions, and everything he says is true in his eyes, sadly for me i'm not really a FB fan thou.

However, i feel this PR hellstorm could be averted if they get Valve to publicly get on their side. Even better would be to convince Notch as well.

I'm still excited to try the rift, and i'll be carefully watching the events unfold until the DK2 ships to decide if i keep my order or not.

Still, i don't agree with alot of negativity in this thread. I see where people are comming from with the idea of corporations taking over, but it is still too soon to absolutely confirm that this is a terrible decision (imo).

What data mining related to a VR headset are people so worried about?

That they know what you buy and play on it? Even though that would be limited to you using their content distribution platform, EVERY content distribution platform knows this about all of its customers and the huge ones ALL leverage said info to pipe relevant ads and suggestions to you.

Anything you do on that could be transferred back to facebook via a required internet connection (certainly a possibility). That means not only software downloaded from an official store but also software used from other outlets. Private data could be sent back, including addresses , phone numbers or even credit card numbers (facebook has also had multiple huge leaks of user data over the years). Basically anything you do no the rift- games, homebrew software or even adult entertainment- could be sent back to facebook, a company known for trampling user privacy.

Roshin

Gotta love the people who think Facebook just gave them 2 billion dollars to have no say in how they operate? Some people are so fucking stupid its astounding.

This. FB invested 2 billion dollars into this. They will want something back.

You're overanalyzing a single quote from a call to investors, that directly focuses on the long-term possibilities of the acquisition. It's plain stupid to announce defeat at the first rumor you're scared by.

Oh he really thinks Facebook is just going to let him do whatever he wants. How cute.

Do you just invision Facebook as the corporate version of Russia? That they just walked into Oculus' front office, dropped $2 billion on the ground, and declared that the whole company start adding advertisements to the UI? No. This was a nuanced acquisition, and if Palmer & Carmack are still on board & speaking positively - I don't see why people are jumping to panic.

20cent

Banned
How many people playing farmville are going to buy a $300.00 peripheral (most likely a lot more) to see their cartoon animals in 3 dimensions? Don't forget they will need a much stronger GPU than the mainstream computer has today. Also lets not forget everyone nowadays is just gunna get a tablet right? When will those GPUs (tablets) be at a mass market price?

how many tech ignorant people buy top of the line samsung or iphones at $699 on day 1 to go on FB/instagram only? You need a TITAN gfx to run a game with cartoon animals in 3D? Have you seen any 3D games running on smartphones/tablets since the last 3 years? In 6 month they can easily do the dual stream for VR, or even today with optimized games. Conveniently, that's also the target of OR to work on mobile devices.

Do you just invision Facebook as the corporate version of Russia? That they just walked into Oculus' front office, dropped $2 billion on the ground, and declared that the whole company start adding advertisements to the UI? No. This was a nuanced acquisition, and if Palmer & Carmack are still on board & speaking positively - I don't see why people are jumping to panic.
This. It would be completely absurd for Oculus to just accept the deal without establishing clear conditions that Facebook would not be able to force a walled garden or any of that nonsense on the Rift, if Palmer's comments on Reddit are of any indication.

Guys

What if it's actually Carmack who engineered this deal

He's kidnapped Romero and has him in this kid's basement

And he's forcing him to help him remake Doom

In VR

And use Facebook to suck people's souls into the game to power a ritual which will allow him to defeat Gabe's army of nuclear unicorns and take over Valve

This is all bullshit. There's no way it's going to remain free AND monetized. Dude took a cash grab and will hang onto his baby for as long as possible before he realizes he's way over his head here, and is just an employee of his own company.

Guy seems pretty honest to me, and he's not speaking PR speak. He's been extremely direct. Also, I have friends in the tech industry that basically confirm that FB has little control over their acquired companies. It's not that they don't have the ability to dictate things, it's that they play the long game, and haven't cashed in on them yet. FB is a company that follows the "make it popular and good first, then make it profitable later" philosophy. So I'm not concerned about how this will impact the tech. The money is definitely a boon for them. Before this, production was stopping due to part shortages. After this, they will be able to demand custom parts on their own terms.

This. It would be completely absurd for Oculus to just accept the deal without establishing clear conditions that Facebook would not be able to force a walled garden or any of that nonsense on the Rift, if Palmer's comments on Reddit are of any indication.

Exactly. And if Facebook was making radical changes to the Rift, Palmer wouldn't be out defending the sale in such a grassroots manner. He comes across as a guy honestly trying to defend his decision.

Top Bottom