• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
VRCover finally has some decent replacement faceplates in stock for the Quest 2.

2IPTXEG.jpg

https://eu.vrcover.com/products/facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set-for-oculus™-quest-2

These have not been in stock since launch. I ordered on on Oct 13 and it still hasn't shipped.

Resenge

These have not been in stock since launch. I ordered on on Oct 13 and it still hasn't shipped.
This is the first time they have had these fake leather covers on sale since launch for the Quest 2 and these are the ones I have been waiting for. They had some pigment problems with the foam covers where the pigment would leak and stain your face and clothing.

Maybe you should contact them? since they just had them in stock your back order might finally be filled? also looks like they have sold out already.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

This is the first time they have had these fake leather covers on sale since launch for the Quest 2
They have been available for order on the Oculus store (same product, supplied by VRCover) since early October, but they haven't shipped any that have been ordered since launch day yet.

Last edited:

Resenge

They have been available for order on the Oculus store (same product, supplied by VRCover) since early October, but they haven't shipped any that have been ordered since launch day yet.
They had some pigment problems with the foam covers where the pigment would leak and stain your face and clothing.
That's the reason they stopped selling them and this is the first time they have been back in stock since then. Unless your talking about the fabric or silicone covers as they have been on sale for a while.

We were ready for launch but there have been reports of some foams having issues with color fastness and some of the color coming off the foams. The color pigments we use have been tested for biocompatibility and are safe to use. If you experience the color coming off, it can be simply washed off with soap and water.
We are now taking the necessary steps to ensure the color fastness will be consistent throughout all the foams we produce and ship in the coming weeks.
Only a small fraction of foams are affected. If you already ordered from Oculus and have this issue with our Facial Interface Replacement Set for Oculus™ Quest 2, please contact us at team@vrcover.com and we will replace your foam.
Again, we are truly sorry about this and are working overtime to get flawless products to you as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Holy shit that dude's twitter is a cluster fuck of complaints and whining.

Are you having any problems? let me know what's going wrong with what games and i'll check mine out and report back.

try to record your gameplay

and you really can't see how smooth scrolling for menus kinda got butchered?

I'd say Quest 2 is not ready for 90Hz

Resenge

try to record your gameplay

and you really can't see how smooth scrolling for menus kinda got butchered?

I'd say Quest 2 is not ready for 90Hz
I'll have a go at recording gameplay but my menus are smooth as butter.

namekuseijin namekuseijin Just tested while recording and a had a little jitter sometime but nothing I would worry over. The menus stuttered a little but became smooth again, I played some games, Beat saber which was smooth and Population One had a little stutter while loading but gameplay was smooth. This will be the first time I have recorded gameplay so I do not have anything to compare it to. Its much better than the Quest 1 ever was though even while recording.

How bad is it for you? do you have any vid to show so I can compare? Is this a confirmed problem?

Last edited:
I'll have a go at recording gameplay but my menus are smooth as butter.

namekuseijin namekuseijin Just tested while recording and a had a little jitter sometime but nothing I would worry over. The menus stuttered a little but became smooth again, I played some games, Beat saber which was smooth and Population One had a little stutter while loading but gameplay was smooth. This will be the first time I have recorded gameplay so I do not have anything to compare it to. Its much better than the Quest 1 ever was though even while recording.

How bad is it for you? do you have any vid to show so I can compare? Is this a confirmed problem?

my menus are not quite smooth as butter - some occasional jitter - but anyway not as bad as this morning. I'll attribute it mostly to boot up background loading hiccups

but not while recording. That stuttering is there.

anyway, forgot about morning issues and just lost myself into my first hour into Half-Life - without recording. Yes, now I can see why the series is very highly rated. Even the dated graphics in VR still give amazing immersion and sense of scale. Hopefully 2 also gets the VR treatment.

this is exactly the purpose of VR: to let the player be inside their old favorite games, not to buy idiot limited minigames they keep pushing in VR... do it more often and more players will come

Last edited:

Techies

There is definitely a jitter that wasn't there before. The jitters last for about 2 seconds at a time followed by a period of being really smooth then after a few seconds of turning/watching the controllers I see it again.. I can actually see the jitters happening with Virtual Desktop's performance graph. I found out those frame drops was due the Quest2, did a factory reset.

I was completely gone after the reset, but I see it's back again.

There is definitely a jitter that wasn't there before. The jitters last for about 2 seconds at a time followed by a period of being really smooth then after a few seconds of turning/watching the controllers I see it again.. I can actually see the jitters happening with Virtual Desktop's performance graph. I found out those frame drops was due the Quest2, did a factory reset.

I was completely gone after the reset, but I see it's back again.

I don't think hardware reset helps much in networked devices that begin updating as soon as you turn them on.

anyway, last week after the update there were a lot of people in FB Quest groups complaining about increased motion sickness and I dismissed them. Now, look, during playing Quest native games I notice no jitter - except if I begin recording and, I imagine, during casting to tv as well. So I can see where these complaints come from...

they definitely need to sort this out and address fixes in a further update - we expected further smootheness, but it's mostly not seen and besides introduced this annoying jitter. Too early to play out like phone makers and making their devices ever more slow at each update...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, sounds like a mere bug, just don't record for now and enjoy the smoothness in actual play since you claim it's fine there >_>

Kinda silly to suggest it's on purpose to make it slower to then sell a Quest 3 when they're still not getting enough stock to satisfy sales as it would only hurt the rep of a product they want to get to as many hands as possible now. That'd be like saying Sony has issues on PS5 atm to sell you PS6.

Edit: ok now you say it's not just when recording but just there all the time, like, decide what your eyes tell ya already.

Last edited:
all I know is that 90Hz was supposed to be smoother but there's annoying judder now that was not there before at 72Hz

and you don't even need to record anything: try moving your head from side to side in the home environment and check the menu getting the same awful judder as in SW Squadrons...

I want my smooth 72Hz back, that's all.

Resenge

my menus are not quite smooth as butter - some occasional jitter - but anyway not as bad as this morning. I'll attribute it mostly to boot up background loading hiccups

but not while recording. That stuttering is there.

anyway, forgot about morning issues and just lost myself into my first hour into Half-Life - without recording. Yes, now I can see why the series is very highly rated. Even the dated graphics in VR still give amazing immersion and sense of scale. Hopefully 2 also gets the VR treatment.

this is exactly the purpose of VR: to let the player be inside their old favorite games, not to buy idiot limited minigames they keep pushing in VR... do it more often and more players will come
I love that about VR. Games I have given up on and would not play these days feel fresh and interesting in VR. I am excited to revisit some old games again if they get ported.

Something about VR can make the shittiest game on a flat screen feel good if ported well.

I want my smooth 72Hz back, that's all.
Last time I checked there was an option in SideQuest to go back to 72hz, maybe it still works after the patch?

Last edited:

Resenge

I have done some more testing at 90hz, but I am sure that I am not having the problem namekuseijin namekuseijin is having. I do not see anybody else on reddit discussing this problem so maybe it is only a small number of people that have it.

I have stood in the home screen and shook my head from side to side and span around. When I am recording I noticed a couple tiny stutters but it was rare and not constant, without recording there is no stutter at all. I did test Sidequest ability to go back to 72hz and it works although it means you have to set it to 72hz everytime you reset your headset.

I would be interested to see if your headset is still stuttering at 72hz.

Last edited:
would be interested to see if your headset is still stuttering at 72hz.

I'll try tonight with Sidequest then.

I'm brazilian (that 50/60Hz option is set to automatic) and I changed my batteries about the same time the update came, but they're Duracell 1.5v so I think that can't be it.

btw, I tried to again draw my guardian, and again it went into some really crappy slideshow. Really bizarre, it's same floor, same space, same light.

Also playing In Death: Unchained just now and it kept losing tracking and going to home screen and telling some message about cloud synchronization...

I don't think I'm alone in this. While this week is quieter, last week or so after the update was full of complaints in FB groups about people finding it too a less smooth experience. I attributed it to FB hating but hey, just like with snapping elite straps, it looks like a rushed update instead...

Last edited:

Resenge

I'll try tonight with Sidequest then.

I'm brazilian (that 50/60Hz option is set to automatic) and I changed my batteries about the same time the update came, but they're Duracell 1.5v so I think that can't be it.

btw, I tried to again draw my guardian, and again it went into some really crappy slideshow. Really bizarre, it's same floor, same space, same light.

Also playing In Death: Unchained just now and it kept losing tracking and going to home screen and telling some message about cloud synchronization...

I don't think I'm alive. While this week is quieter, last week or so after the update was full of complaints in FB groups about people finding it too a less smooth experience. I attributed it to FB hating but hey, just like with snapping elite straps, it looks like a rushed update instead...
Wow that is very strange, boundry setting is completely smooth for me I cannot figure out what could be different between our headsets. Keep my updated on the 72hz setting please, am genuinely interested and worried this might happen to me.

[edit]
This is making me paranoid, I have been testing and although I am not getting bad stutter I am suddenly getting games just crashing out to home screen. My daughter has been playing Rec Room and we had to reset the headset a couple of times. I tried loading Virtual Desktop and it also crashed to home screen when I tried to change environments.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
When was the 90hz update released? Last week? I started using my Quest 2 exactly one week ago, so does that mean I already have it? Does it make all games run at 90hz, or does it just add support for it?

I haven't really noticed any stuttering in regular gameplay, but I DO definitely get it if recording gameplay. More in some games than others.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Pretty underwhelming I must say.

I bought Premium Bowling and Eleven Table Tennis.

I agree. I was expecting more from the Black Friday Sale - specifically Beat Saber.
I picked up Eleven Table Tennis and it's pretty great though. I think I will get Superhot as well.

How is Premium Bowling?

Shakka43

When was the 90hz update released? Last week? I started using my Quest 2 exactly one week ago, so does that mean I already have it? I haven't really noticed any stuttering in regular gameplay, but I DO definitely get it if recording gameplay. More in some games than others.
It's been like two weeks since they started rolling out the update, I did mine manually thought as I wasn't getting it OTA no matter what I tried. Check your settings and if you are on V.23 you have it, V.21 you don't.

I agree. I was expecting more from the Black Friday Sale - specifically Beat Saber.
I picked up Eleven Table Tennis and it's pretty great though. I think I will get Superhot as well.

How is Premium Bowling?

Haven't try it yet, let you know later.
Edit:
Play it a few rounds and it is alright, the ball physics work well enough and the graphics aren't too bad either.

I think it'll a fun party game for when my brothers come to visit.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ah, didn't even know there was a sale. Any must haves? Bought Vader Immortal trilogy and The Climb. Already have Superhot, Beat Saber and Eleven (my three favorite VR games so far). No Red Matter sale (except in the pack, but I don't want all of those and already have a few), shame, really wanted that.

A Fisherman's Tale worth $10.49? It seems interesting, but people say it's really short.

Any hidden gems in the Black Friday sale? I've got Superhot and Beat Saber already and both are fantastic.

As mentioned, Eleven Table Tennis if you don't already have it. Feels incredibly close to real table tennis, perfect VR experience.

Last edited:
Wow that is very strange, boundry setting is completely smooth for me I cannot figure out what could be different between our headsets. Keep my updated on the 72hz setting please, am genuinely interested and worried this might happen to me.

[edit]
This is making me paranoid, I have been testing and although I am not getting bad stutter I am suddenly getting games just crashing out to home screen. My daughter has been playing Rec Room and we had to reset the headset a couple of times. I tried loading Virtual Desktop and it also crashed to home screen when I tried to change environments.

yes, the update is definitely not ok. I had no crashes, but the guardian system is now too touchy and can occasionally get passthrough in unexpected spots...

searching FB groups is useless, but reddit is full of complaints:

I think partially this is a measure of unexpected huge commercial success and they still trying to get to grips with large crowds in support... I'll give them time to get fixes rolling...

also, I stopped having issues in In Death by turning off WiFi (their message about cloud synchronization have me a clue)...

Shakka43

yes, the update is definitely not ok. I had no crashes, but the guardian system is now too touchy and can occasionally get passthrough in unexpected spots...

You can go to settings and lower the guardian sensitivity, by default it's on normal which I found to be too sensitive and showed the guardian wall while still being fairly away from the drawn line.

Resenge

Well it seems suddenly my Quest is gone to shit, all my games constantly crashing to home screen even Virtual Desktop is unstable. I have done a full reset and Virtual Desktop is running for now. namekuseijin namekuseijin is completely right this new update has screwed a load of Quests, what is strange is it didn't instantly screw me and took a number of days to become unstable so I guess it could become unstable again even after a reset.

Last edited:
Im still on 23.76 same as you. No updates yet.

76 here too

yes, it's weird that it took a couple days from the original update to things begin to crumble

I was playing In Death and Rec Room and in both cases it would often lose tracking and passthrough and the home screen would come into view for a second and then back into the game. Very annoying.

well, I've decided to try another reboot, but before that set my tracking to 50Hz (it was automatic both before and after update) and when it turned on again, guardian was lost so I drew it again - didn't find the ground level automatically again but at least wasn't in slideshow mode. I also adjusted the guardian sensibility settings to lower so guardian wouldn't come up often.

I gotta say, it feels smoother and I did play In Death and Path of the Warrior here without the aforementioned issues ever creeping in again, except for stuttering while recording or streaming - but menus seem smooth again even if you watch them rocking your body side to side. I do think the transparent overlay of the guardian was the cause of the stuttering and now that it's greatly reduced how often it shows up, it's back to smooth...

anyway, I'm sure they'll fix the issues in further updates...

Resenge Resenge

guys, my issues with tracking, stuttering and guardian are positively solved now and I'm not exactly sure how. Still update 23.76 here. Running now very smooth.

I can tell what I did:

1) I decided to set tracking frequency to 50Hz (it was automatic before and after update). It's 50Hz for 220V and 60Hz for 110V

2) after rebooting, guardian was lost and I drew a new one (this time without any judder)

3) finally, following a tip here, I set guardian sensitivity to lower levels, so it's far less aggressive and intrusive

now running butter smooth, all menus and guardian without any stuttering. Games running fine without any of the previous issues - though streaming video or recording still implies some stuttering.

Instead of factory resets, just try manually setting tracking frequency and cleaning guardian history and drawing again. And rebooting of course.

also love that I can upload videos to YouTube now

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That Top Golf on Q2 is amazing. A lovely chilled out experience

On a different subject. I almost got fell over playing Lies Beneath when I got chased. I add to rip the thing off my face. Lol.

Last edited:

Techies

That Top Golf on Q2 is amazing. A lovely chilled out experience

On a different subject. I almost got fell over playing Lies Beneath when I got chased. I add to rip the thing off my face. Lol.

I completely missed Lies Beneath !!!
Already spend my monies, dangit.

I got Rush VR and Path of the Warrior (Rift store, free Quest port) in the BF sale.

mind-blown by how much sharper Rush is on Q2 while retaining same graphics, aside from lower res textures and no grass - but what good are those when it's all a jagged mess even on Pro?

Path of the Warrior is pure Streets of Rage VR:

all punches, jabs, uppercuts and item swinging and throwing are due my own physical effort, but kicks are just button mashing. I can fully see why VR will never go mainstream: there's no way flat asses will ever go through the muscle pain in games like this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I have back and shoulder pain myself after this short but intense session yesterday - been awhile since I've last played Skyrim on psvr, swinging sword in that one also used to get me trashed, but at least the action is paced with inventory management, exploration, crafting, reading and so forth... not the case of a plain action arcade game... still, it feels great in both cases, so I endure and eventually get more fit

Last edited:

Billbofet

is it worth buying the 3 vader episodes for $20 for Oculus Quest 2?
I hope so. I just bought it about 30 minutes ago. I'm going to check it out tonight and I can post some thoughts. I did look on youtube a bunch prior to the purchase and the overall feedback is that it's amazing, but short, but amazing...nothing wrong with that. I guess the replayability is in the dojo mini-games as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
ALTDEUS: Beyond Chronos just came out (PC too).

Last edited:
I want to see more Third-Party, RTS, and Zelda: LTTP - like experiances. I like the First Person stuff, but the physics feel off in a lot of games.

magaman

Banned
you're always in first-person in VR, either as protagonist or cameraman

That's not always true. That's like saying you're technically always playing FPS games outside of VR because your eyes are your own.

VR is a new set of eyes, nothing more. You can still play third person games in VR. It's just that I don't believe anyone has properly done it just yet. Moss was pretty neat, for example.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
classic problem with vr lack of games....

killer apps like HL ALYX

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

When was the 90hz update released? Last week? I started using my Quest 2 exactly one week ago, so does that mean I already have it? Does it make all games run at 90hz, or does it just add support for it?

I haven't really noticed any stuttering in regular gameplay, but I DO definitely get it if recording gameplay. More in some games than others.
You can go into the settings pane and check what version you're on. V23 is the latest on the Quest 2 and adds 90Hz support.

It is enabled on a game by game basis, most games still run at 72Hz for most people. 72Hz won't feel like stuttering, it's acceptable just not as fluid feeling as 90.

Top Bottom