• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I tried to follow the steps from some youtube channels to update to firmware version 23 but somehow it didn't work. These Facebook incremental updates are freaking lame. Just release it to everyone already. Tomorrow I am getting my 3070 I can't wait to try the Quest 2 with Alyx and VD :))))
you dont need that new update with VD at all just wait a bit to use your cable..
i give you a very high chance that you don't ever want to go back wired VR after using the quest2

well, it finally happened!

almost a month after getting my Quest 2, the controller batteries are finally dead. I was right in the middle of a tough arena battle in In Death Unchained when my bow stopped responding :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I've never seen such amazing longevity before, really magical stuff they got here. It was in the 10% mark for the last few days already... I bought replacement a AA Duracell pair long ago, even forgot where I've put them. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just get eneloop rechargables and you're set. 4 pack means you can always have 2 charged up & ready.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not out yet, you could play the PC mod it's based on (I think, the guy who uploaded this said they don't know if they'll be able to port the teleport locomotion option from that when someone asked), Fully Possessed. But usually Dr. Beef's ports play best, sucks they don't port them back to PC.

Last edited:
the sad part about Dr. Beef ports is that they are far better games than 90% of "VR games" out there and that they're relatively easy to make so hobbyists do it but when studios do it they often cost full price

the lack of official support from game studios to VR makes me want to pirate old games like these

well, Doom 3 and possibly RE4 are very welcome additions to Quest library... glad I didn't play the former nor finished the latter back on PS2...

Resenge

How do I get hold of Doom 3, guys? Looks amazingly well done. Is it just on Sidequest?
If you have Doom 3 BFG edition (The Quest Version will use normal Doom 3) and a PC you can always use the PCVR mod of Doom 3 until the Quest release. It is way better in VR than on a flat screen and I am hyped to play it on Quest.

https://github.com/NPi2Loup/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases

[Edit]
Better forked version link

Last edited:
Doom 3 BFG won't work with the mod for Q2 though.

One more game receiving hand tracking on Quest:

the sequel to classic Job Simulator, which showed me and many others what VR was all about back then: directly manipulating virtual objects around you. Now more directly than ever, though without any haptics...

Last edited:

the archivist is in VR :messenger_sunglasses:

Btw, I tried this before, but JavaScript performance still not the best even on XR2... also, couldn't figure out how to control... I don't understand why touch controllers simply can't be identified as a regular gamepad in software that needs gamepads: it has 2 analog sticks, 4 regular buttons, 4 trigger buttons... come on!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I finally caved and ordered one of these, should be ready for pickup later today. My first VR headset (I've tried the Vive before), pretty excited! Not getting a PS5 until next year helped make the decision easier.

What are some games I need to try out? A few ones are obvious:
  • Beat Saber
  • Superhot
  • Vader Immortal
  • Job Simulator (tried this on the Vive and found it very enjoyable)
What else?

I don't have a capable gaming PC, so no need to recommend PC VR stuff.

Last edited:

Romulus

I finally caved and ordered one of these, should be ready for pickup later today. My first VR headset (I've tried the Vive before), pretty excited! Not getting a PS5 until next year helped make the decision easier.

• Beat Saber
  • Superhot
  • Vader Immortal
What else?

On your list you don't have any full length games. I would recommend Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, a deep, engaging survival game.

Resenge

I think to start out with I want a bunch of great VR experiences rather than full length games.
Get familiar with SideQuest. It has a ton of free apps, most are just tech demos from solo devs that are experimenting but some are really good including Brutal Doom, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Quake and soon Doom 3.

Last edited:

Shakka43

• Beat Saber
  • Superhot
  • Vader Immortal
What else?

Drop Dead: Dual Strike is a fun arcade zombie shooter.
Angry Birds VR: Isle of Pigs ain't bad as a pick up and play for short times.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I got mine on Wednesday night and I there are a ton of great recommendations here. I would also add "The Key." It's free and about a 10-15 minute experience.
I think it's great at showing the potential of storytelling in VR. I liked it more for the tech than the actually story, but it is a pretty amazing experience.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The new Star Wars game is awesome. I'm really enjoying it. I can't believe the graphics.

Resenge

I have a friend who bought a Quest yesterday who is probably big mad.
To qualify, you need to activate a Quest 2 and use it with a Link cable between today and January 31st, 2020.

I think anyone who has a Quest 2 should be able to get it so hes ok, unless you meant he bought a Quest 1 then the question is why?

Last edited:
I got the last v23 update yesterday or the day before finally. Still to see 90Hz in action in actual games, though I find 72Hz acceptable enough. Tbh, messing with Sidequest parameters I saw the home environments in awesome crisp resolution and would wish for that instead.

Btw, did any one notice that if you scroll menu items to the right it seems like the depth for the items goes further back and when you scroll left they get closer? It's not a bug, it's clearly a feature, small detail that is still very interesting.

Still about menus: Rec Room also got an update on this area and the new menus are very awesome, kind of a touch+Matrix vibe to it. Plus, Go Private for rooms is finally much more visible - those folks annoyed at all the kids should enjoy.

Last edited:
The new Star Wars game is awesome. I'm really enjoying it. I can't believe the graphics.

has a certain Borderlands vibe, though much shorter obviously

I just hate that there's no jump - no, folks, teleport is no substitute for jump. If you're already allowing smooth walk for people who have VR legs, go all the way through...

I like the gadgets. Hopefully also more challenging in hard mode.

Yes, the graphics are unbelievably good for a mobile chip. Frankly, puts a lot of PS4 VR games to shame, specially texture work...

I zapped through sections of the video but will stop watching. This is a definite buy. *edit* Just did, my Friday night fun

Last edited:
ok, glad I couldn't help myself and got Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy, because it is great! It's Xmas for Quest already!

I regrettably didn't play Vader Immortal series yet, but heard all about it being a short experience. I'm pretty sure this is in the same line, but they got more action rather than just the interactive narrative parts. Shooting action is actually pretty good, the guns look great in your hands, the enemies are NOT the usual dumb cannon fodder running at you ready to be shot, they actually take cover too. Btw, don't recommend Hard mode: 2 shots and you're dead

Only explored 3 maps so far, the initial ship, the cantina and that beautiful hill in the outskirts of the main city - think about 1 hour and a half so far. Areas are not open map, it's mostly linear but quite extensive and very nicely detailed. Seriously, that a mobile chip is running this is nothing short of amazing. Very crisp, very detailed and textured, great animations and character design.

One thing that's really well designed and polished is the VR inventory, the bag in your chest. You can also just grab it and release in the air and from there choose items. Plus, there are 2 main blaster holsters, a tool holster below the bag and a medicine holster in each hand. Your left hand also has a tech interface with buttons for a holographic comm device, a scanner and a goal pointer. Clever interface all around. The episodic nature of this franchise means they don't need to reinvent something that is already incredibly good. The screw tool reminds me of Blood and Truth in its polish handling of the interaction.

Had to charge it. Indeed it reminds me very much of Borderlands VR - shorter and less open but a lot more polished for VR and with better graphics and resolution to boot...

Last edited:
Top Bottom