• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 releases on October 10.

Draugoth

Gold Member

The Quest 3 is available for preorder now, and will officially hit stores on Oct. 10. The headset starts at $500 with 128GB of storage, with a $650 configuration available for folks who want a larger 512GB of free space.

Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 is powering the Quest 3 -- twice the graphics power of before.

We're getting a demo of various games coming to Quest 3 like Assassin's Creed Nexus, with Zuckerberg talking about how stunning they look on the Quest 3. Roblox is launching something too.

You'll be able to watch fully immersive NBA games, some mixed martial arts fighting, and other live sports. Zuckerberg promises new Horizon comment to many cheers from the audience. Quest 3 shows the physical space with 10x more pixels than Quest 2 could use. You can drop a video screen right in your room. Buying either Quest 3 option from now until January 27th will get you a free copy of Asgard’s Wrath (normally $60), and if you spring for the 512GB model, Meta will throw in a six-month Meta Quest+ subscription for instant access to a curated selection of games.

kc9iAdy.png

Also, Xbox Cloud Gaming will come to Quest in December. You'll be able to play on a massive screen anywhere you go.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This October is shaping up to be one of the most anticipated. Legendary month in an already legendary year

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yup. Just need a single USB-C cable (or USB3 to USB-C cable if your PC doesn’t have USB-C ports)

Literally as easy as connecting a cable. Or it's possible to do it via WiFi but when I tried (a while ago) the graphics quality would take a big hit and there was some noticeable lag. Heard it got better though.

awesome. Is the quality good through the single USB C cable too? it will be replacing my old rift S

Klik

I bet Quest 3 is gonna sell amazingly for PC VR,even though its not wired.

Especially knowing it will have 30% higher res than Q2 + pancake lens..

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
Did I miss something? Was this expected? Or did they really just drop the release date two weeks before launch? lol

PSVR2 lack of content has been bothersome. Might buy this just to make it my Population One machine like my Quest 2 basically was

LordOfChaos

Xbox cloud gaming for it is awesome, giant virtual screen for it anywhere

If Apple keeps cockblocking Gamepass streaming on their next platform in the Vision, that's a serious hamper to it

Actually seriously considering this, my first VR product

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Did I miss something? Was this expected? Or did they really just drop the release date two weeks before launch? lol

PSVR2 lack of content has been bothersome. Might buy this just to make it my Population One machine like my Quest 2 basically was
Does seem sus. Like they're senidng out to die.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
is it easy to do pc vr with a quest?
No. No 10 times. It's only thing that can make me mad and don't tell me that I don't know the thing. Only one thing I can help you - VRAM is matter a LOT more in VR because you are basically streaming high quality 120fps video and it will eat 2-3GB of VRAM. Just know when you have a big problems with the performance and nothing seems to make sense - VRAM. 8 gigs is absolute minimum to play at low settings/resolutions and it's like having 3-4 gigs on PC with high end games - they seem to work but strange glitches and problems appear.

Codiox

No. No 10 times. It's only thing that can make me mad and don't tell me that I don't know the thing. Only one thing I can help you - VRAM is matter a LOT more in VR because you are basically streaming high quality 120fps video and it will eat 2-3GB of VRAM. Just know when you have a big problems with the performance and nothing seems to make sense - VRAM. 8 gigs is absolute minimum to play at low settings/resolutions and it's like having 3-4 gigs on PC with high end games - they seem to work but strange glitches and problems appear.
this.

also fucking frametimes! these fucking microstutters!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
this response makes no sense to me at all

It's the best way to use PC VR -- fully wireless if you want (corded option still there, but no one who tries both keeps using the cable), easy to scan your room space / guardian, works brilliantly with Virtual Desktop app.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No eye tracking is a big miss, proper foveated rendering could work wonders on a low power device like this. Fixed foveated rendering is pretty awful.

Is that tech very expensive, or power hungry, or what?

I bet Quest 3 is gonna sell amazingly for PC VR,even though its not wired.

Especially knowing it will have 30% higher res than Q2 + pancake lens..
This might trigger a PC rig upgrade. (still on a trusty 1080ti i74790k)

shit's about to get expensive

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Are you talking about wireless? There's no "streaming video" if you are wired, it's just... a display.

The reason VR games take so much horsepower/memory has more to do with the nature of VR itself than anything to do with "video streaming." It's like running the same game twice on the same machine at a time.

violence

Wow, I didn’t even know about this. I don’t really use my quest 2, but I wish it was OLED for watching movies in a virtual theater

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
550 eur a bit 2 much. PC upgrade comes first anyway. Definitely want to get one though. Unless alternatives come along of course, as most of the advancements are due to the new chip (Pico 5 or did Zuck once again buy all the chips they can launch for the first years exclusively?).

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Stop trying to make the meta verse happen.

It looks like a good headset, but probably the last hope we have for VR.

GHG

Debating whether or not to get this day one or wait to see if there are any issues.

Either way, the specs and price look good to me, will be going for the 128GB version since it will primarily be used with the PC.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Are you talking about wireless? There's no "streaming video" if you are wired, it's just... a display.

The reason VR games take so much horsepower/memory has more to do with the nature of VR itself than anything to do with "video streaming." It's like running the same game twice on the same machine at a time.
Are you sure that Quest 3 (on PC) will be not stream-based like Quest 2? Can't find exact information right now.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Are you sure that Quest 3 (on PC) will be not stream-based like Quest 2? Can't find exact information right now.
Oh, so you were talking about the performance impact on the PC side of having to stream the game. That exists, but it just means you need a strong PC.

I've also found (along with many others... in fact I'd say this is the standard wisdom from the many forums where I've read about different setups) that Virtual Desktop gives you much better performance than either the real link cable or Airlink, if your PC is struggling. The way it encodes has significantly less overhead. My PC was struggling with Alyx on both Airlink and the cable, but it was a night-and-day improvement to use Virtual Desktop instead.

Not really true, as I recall. Using the cable still means encoding the video to a different format, and that encoding has a major impact on your PC. Which is again why almost no one who has a PC which is struggling a bit with VR would ever use the cable. I can confirm along with others that your PC takes a major hit to do all that encoding fast enough while the game is running.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Oh, so you were talking about the performance impact on the PC side of having to stream the game. That exists, but it just means you need a strong PC.
Are you sure that you know how it's working?
Quest ALWAYS stream a compressed video to your helmet. That destroys colors, introduce banding and other artifacts at any bitrate. That's why you always have an option to choose a bitrate. I'm not talking about wireless streaming or fucking streaming from server my God...

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Quest ALWAYS stream a compressed video to your helmet. That destroys colors, introduce banding and other artifacts at any bitrate. That's why you always have an option to choose a bitrate. I'm not talking about wireless streaming or fucking streaming from server my God...
I feel like we're discussing different parts; here's an attempt at clarity:
  • yes, it's always compressing the video when you send to the Quest, even over the official cable; that's why I said that IntentionalPun IntentionalPun pun was a bit incorrect on this point.
  • that does have a performance impact on your PC, compressing the video for the stream. But I assert that it's much better if you use Virtual Desktop, because their compression is more efficient, and the official Oculus Link compression is simply a resource hog on lower or mid PCs.
  • I thought you were talking mostly about the compression's impact on the PC, which is true but not bad at all if using VD
  • now you're talking about the impact of compression on visuals. For that, I can tell you that Virtual Desktop with a great router in the room lets you bump up the settings to a very clean appearance. If the compression looks lossy at all it's because your router or bitrate is set too low.

Antwix

$150 extra to go from 128gb to 512gb? Wow. Not really worth it in my opinion. VR games usually aren't that big in size.

I've had really great experiences (or luck) with the Virtual Desktop app on the quest store. I'm pretty sure the official wireless method (Air Link) worked great for me too.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I feel like we're discussing different parts; here's an attempt at clarity:
  • yes, it's always compressing the video when you send to the Quest, even over the official cable; that's why I said that IntentionalPun IntentionalPun pun was a bit incorrect on this point.
  • that does have a performance impact on your PC, compressing the video for the stream. But I assert that it's much better if you use Virtual Desktop, because their compression is more efficient, and the official Oculus Link compression is simply a resource hog on lower or mid PCs.
  • I thought you were talking mostly about the compression's impact on the PC, which is true but not bad at all if using VD
  • now you're talking about the impact of compression on visuals. For that, I can tell you that Virtual Desktop with a great router in the room lets you bump up the settings to a very clean appearance. If the compression looks lossy at all it's because your router or bitrate is set too low.
Still, compressed video comes with compressed color space (not RGB) which introduces washed colors and banding. You can see it on same game running from PC and native on helmet (latter have much more clarity and actually have colors)
I hope VD is now much better than year ago, because it was using CPU to compress the video which comes with its own problems.
Anyway, VRAM usage at high render resolutions is ridiculous, and to have clean picture you must supersample (or technically render/compress video at native panel resolution, which was 5408 x 2736). Good luck render it at 90+ fps.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do I still need a facebook account to use this thing? I don't mind making a separate account specifically for this, but when the Quest 2 came out I passed on it solely because I don't want to have to give Facebook / Meta / Instagram my real info.

Top Bottom