• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 releases on October 10.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Very different.

Quest 3: More convenient, probably more comfortable, and better resolution, you can play wireless PCVR games and those are almost limitless, especially with mods.
Standalone has around 500 games, maybe 90 are decent-good, but that's way more than PSVR2 because walled off its library with PSVR1. Quest 3 plays Quest 2 games at higher resolutions and framerates, 50 of the bigger titles are customized for Quest 3 hardware.
Retro games.
Quest 2/3 has a nice retro mod library with quality ports via Team Beef
Doom 1-3, All the Quake games, Wolf, and a ton more...

Jedi Outcast and Academy with motion controls

PSVR2 has some games you just can't play anywhere else like GT7 RE8 etc. Big AAA games that are few but seemingly far between. Potential to get first-party stuff hopefully. I still play GT7 and its incredible, but I haven't really played anything else in 2 months. It's not a bad deal at all, but I feel like its a wait-and-see purchase unless you're a huge RE or GT fan.

Replace "coffee" with "post"
Twin Peaks Coffee GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

Legit one of the best posts I've ever read on Gaf.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Definitely picking this up for the pancake lenses and full-color passthrough. Cas from Cas and Cherry VR said she can "finally read text from her phone" in the passthrough mode. That's pretty fucking cool.

drezz

Buying two VR headsets in the same year seems excessive but I might have to do it. Sigh.
I just did.
PSVR2 and now Quest3.

Im using my PSVR2 more then my Q2, Q2 is only used for Pavlov SuperSND(12v12players and revives) on PCVR.
Pavlov on PSVR2 is great, but the Chaos with higher playercount and modded SND makes it "worth" lowering the VR standards a bit...

All other VR games I'm playing on PSVR2, cause of the display and thoose damn good controllers, triggers like these should be standard on every system forward IMO(Just maybe make them as HARD as the PS5 Duelsense controller please.)

I've got my PSVR2 wire on bungy cords, attatched too a Vest, that loops the cord around my back, So I never feel the wire. No thuggs or nothing, with a biiig area too play and run around on.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Did I miss something? Was this expected? Or did they really just drop the release date two weeks before launch? lol

PSVR2 lack of content has been bothersome. Might buy this just to make it my Population One machine like my Quest 2 basically was

This has been announced earlier this year. Today is just the date for the remaining launch details and the pre-order

Basic gist is it will have about twice the power, hardware improvement like new pancake lens, and much better mixed reality support. Various released Quest games will offer enhanced fidelity when played on Quest 3

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am so sick of asshole device makers not including options for external storage so they can fucking charge you up the ass for internal memory. It is a shitty practice started by the most consumer unfriendly company out there, crApple.

Seriously this type of blatant extortion needs to stop. Same goes for custom memory that is just regular chips in a different package. They charge hundreds of dollars for something you could, in theory, buy for a fraction of that cost. A fast 2TB NVME drive cost me 130 while these cunts charge 150 for less than 400 GB of cheaper flash. crApple charges even more. This behavior prevents me from wasting money on their shit.

pachura

It looks like is a really nice and balanced piece of hardware. Of course, it would be great if it had HDR, OLED/MicroLED/QLED with dimming, an enormous FOV, 12 GB RAM, eye tracking and was able to run Half-Life Alyx natively, but it would then be called Apple Vision Pro and would cost 7 times as much. I'll wait for reviews, though.

PS. This Walking Dead Q2 vs. Q3 comparison looks like they've just increased contrast/burnt blacks and that's it...?

Romulus

PS. This Walking Dead Q2 vs. Q3 comparison looks like they've just increased contrast/burnt blacks and that's it...?

There's more geometry in the city, way more enemies with actual shadows and better lightning. The Quest 2 version is static with no shadows and ultra low enemy count. I wouldn't be surprised if it's lower resolution and framerate also.

SiahWester

I'd by hyped if VR software was actually good. Ever since Meta went mobile only the games have been mediocre. The passthrough is the only selling point for me. I'll probably buy from best buy and if I don't like it I'll return it lol

Last edited:

Danknugz

FOV is 110 confirmed. Combined with pancake lenses and higher resolution, that's massive.
Are we sure about this "confirmed"? how come it's not listed in the specs? Did someone actually use the headset already with that program that accurately measures the true FoV that they've been using all along with other headsets, or is that just what zuck said.

Bry0

Unless valve drops a bomb in the next few weeks looks like I’m getting one of these. I have never used pancake lenses but I hear good things from someone I know that has a quest pro.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

Remember when Microsoft gave a "demo" of Minecraft AR on a table like this?

Of course, MS doesn't actually care about making the game, they just acquire studios like Mojang so that they can exploit their assets in these half-fake sizzle reels at conferences. So we never saw the game.

In an alternate universe, Mojang would have been purchased by literally anyone but MS and we'd have fully supported VR and AR versions by now.

But, on a more hopeful note, the community-created Quest 2 Minecraft port is actually very good, with full VR features. The only problem it has is struggling a bit with performance--so on Quest 3 it should run beautifully at last.

You know, as much shit as we give Facebook and the Zuck for being little data thieves, they're really the only one consistently maintaining a very open, marching forward take on VR. Valve releases something then fucks off for years barely touching it with SteamVR updates. These guys are much more transparent about their future plans and keeping it alive, and I really appreciate that.

Romulus

I'll believe it when i see it

Meta said the Quest 2 was 96 fov at launch and 110fov.

For me, it's not as big of a deal as I'd like to think. I played PSVR2 last night right before Quest 2 and its just barely noticeable tbh PSVR2's 110 vs 96. I think the real difference is when you get up to the 140 range like the Index. Or if you're really an fov guy the Pimax has over 200 if I'm not mistaken. Now that's actually worth discussing as a bulletin point.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Are all of the games backward compatible and or upgraded? Or do we have to buy new versions to get the quest three version? Also, are there any must play titles coming for the three or are they just relying on two or three launch titles?

FunkMiller

My PSVR 2 and Quest 2 are sat gathering dust, so I think I'll pass on this one. Interested to see what Valve do though. That's the big one.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Are all of the games backward compatible and or upgraded? Or do we have to buy new versions to get the quest three version? Also, are there any must play titles coming for the three or are they just relying on two or three launch titles?
For Quest 1 games on Quest 2, there were never paid upgrades or new versions to buy--the games would just get a free update at some point to take advantage of the newer hardware.

I'd love to see updates for RE4 (even though it already feels perfect on Quest 2) and particularly Bone Lab (struggles a bit on Q2, has many compromises built in).

I wonder if we're at the point yet where more never-ported Rift games can be released on the Q3? Like Lone Echo / Lone Echo II, which could probably run on this new headset natively with a few tweaks.

Last edited:

Danknugz

For me, it's not as big of a deal as I'd like to think. I played PSVR2 last night right before Quest 2 and its just barely noticeable tbh PSVR2's 110 vs 96. I think the real difference is when you get up to the 140 range like the Index. Or if you're really an fov guy the Pimax has over 200 if I'm not mistaken. Now that's actually worth discussing as a bulletin point.
well that's what's confusing because the official tested fov of the index is around 109. it's always been this way, there's like 2 different ways to measure FoV or something, one which vastly distorts the actual FoV to be much greater (such as the 140 degrees for index as you mentioned) and then the "user experience" fov which is measured using a software tool when you are actually wearing the headset (which always come out drastically lower than the aforementioned specs), so the question is, is this reported 110 fov one or the other.

way back with CV1, the initial reported fov was like 107, then after 3 or 4 years it was accepted to be actually around 89

Last edited:

Danknugz

My PSVR 2 and Quest 2 are sat gathering dust, so I think I'll pass on this one. Interested to see what Valve do though. That's the big one.
i still have a valve index in the box with 4 sensor stations i bought back in 2021, sucks, i never have had the time or motivation to set it up. considering ebay to sell it before it drops too much in price.

Techies

This has been announced earlier this year. Today is just the date for the remaining launch details and the pre-order

Basic gist is it will have about twice the power, hardware improvement like new pancake lens, and much better mixed reality support. Various released Quest games will offer enhanced fidelity when played on Quest 3

That's actually pretty damn impressive. Always felt like the Quest/Quest2 was sacrificing too much. Now It looks like the games maintain almost 80% of their original intended look.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They had some good deals on Quest 2 at one point. I'll wait and see if Gamestop does some trade in shit, or there's some Christmas deal in 2024/2025. If I did upgrade I wouldn't want the Quest 2 anymore obviously.

I was sceptical too and I too had Quest 2 and have PSVR2 but more I learn about Quest 3 more it seems to be a very good device. Personally I want a new 'pro' model with better everything plus eye and face tracking.

Also this:

Last edited:

It’s not a huge difference, but I actually think it IS pretty noticeable. Even that small adjustment makes it feel a lot less like looking through goggles than the Quest 2. I’m excited about the Quest 3.

Romulus

It’s not a huge difference, but I actually think it IS pretty noticeable. Even that small adjustment makes it feel a lot less like looking through goggles than the Quest 2. I’m excited about the Quest 3.

Its probably more noticeable for different people. I actually thought it was more until I tried them back to back last night and just don't see what the fuss is about.
However, Quest 3 having an unexpected increase in fov is great! Dual panels instead of one is another unexpected win.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are you talking about wireless? There's no "streaming video" if you are wired, it's just... a display.

Actually you do get a compressed video stream even when connecting a Quest to a PC over USB. It doesn't support DisplayPort over USB like the PSVR2 (which does work more like a "display" in the way you suggest), only a compressed video data stream.

At least this is the case with the Quest 2, not sure if they have changed it with the Q3.

Edit: Late as hell lol.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
im curious. How do people think this will shape up vs. PSVR2?

Is there more software support? Is it as comfortable to wear? Is it usable for people with glasses?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
im curious. How do people think this will shape up vs. PSVR2?

Is there more software support? Is it as comfortable to wear? Is it usable for people with glasses?

Much more software support, that's for sure. But you're not really gonna get the AAA stuff (standalone at least).

No eye tracking either, but in pretty much every other way it seems better than the PSVR2. No fresnel lenses is BIG, those are always more or less awful.

But also, having a standalone headset that you just put on and go is kinda magical. I don't think I can go back to being tethered after having used the Quest 2 for a few years, that's a big reason why I haven't bought a PSVR2.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Even if you don’t have a strong PC, the homebrew things you can install in the headset are great—actually kind of amazing that Facebook didn’t lock it down, but there would be a revolt at this point if they tried to.

A few in-headset VR experiences from the community:
- doom 1/2 era emulator (Hexxen etc)
- doom 3
- quake / quake 2
- duke 3D
- Jedi knight
- MAME emulator arcade, which is a bit jank but sure to improve
- perfect Virtual Boy emulator if you want to finally try that bit of history
- Minecraft with excellent VR immersion features—struggles a bit with performance but Q3 extra should make it smooth
- … and who knows TeamBeef will create next with that extra power

Last edited:

ArtHands

Remember when Microsoft gave a "demo" of Minecraft AR on a table like this?

Of course, MS doesn't actually care about making the game, they just acquire studios like Mojang so that they can exploit their assets in these half-fake sizzle reels at conferences. So we never saw the game.

In an alternate universe, Mojang would have been purchased by literally anyone but MS and we'd have fully supported VR and AR versions by now.

But, on a more hopeful note, the community-created Quest 2 Minecraft port is actually very good, with full VR features. The only problem it has is struggling a bit with performance--so on Quest 3 it should run beautifully at last.

Minecraft was released into VR on PC and PSVR

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/741306562635466/

https://www.minecraft.net/es-es/article/minecraft-gets-playstation-vr

ArtHands

the Quest 3 has backward compatibility with Quest and Quest 2, you do not need to rebuy games. Some of them will have Quest 3 upgrade in terms of fidelity and/or mixed reality support.

In terms of the upcoming/new must play games there are Asgard’s Wrath, Assassin’s Creed Nexus, Ghostbusters Rise of the Ghost Lord, Lego Bricktales, Roblox.

Quest 3 exclusive will happen in the future but not at launch. They don’t want to upset their current Quest 2 fanbase by artificially locking Asgard’s Wrath or Assassin’s Creed Nexus behind Quest 3.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

Buggy Loop

PSVR 2 110 FOV is diagonal though

Dorfdad

Gold Member
the Quest 3 has backward compatibility with Quest and Quest 2, you do not need to rebuy games. Some of them will have Quest 3 upgrade in terms of fidelity and/or mixed reality support.

In terms of the upcoming/new must play games there are Asgard’s Wrath, Assassin’s Creed Nexus, Ghostbusters Rise of the Ghost Lord, Lego Bricktales, Roblox.

Quest 3 exclusive will happen in the future but not at launch. They don’t want to upset their current Quest 2 fanbase by artificially locking Asgard’s Wrath or Assassin’s Creed Nexus behind Quest 3.
Yeah not a good selection tbh ever played asgards wrath but the video looks meh to me and AC not worth spending 700 when all said and done

LordOfChaos

Literally me right now.. or a oled switch. Choices choices.

Are you leaning either way so far? I really don't need to spend so much on both but I could get myself one toy. It would be my first VR product so I'm not sure if I'm on the use it all the time side or the use it for 50 minutes the first year and not use it again side

How is the movie watching experience on it?

Top Bottom