• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 releases on October 10.

dem

Pre-ordered the 512GB on Amazon (search for 'Meta Stardust' to find it, at least until they list it properly). Games are pretty small, but educational videos are fucking massive and it was a real pain juggling all the educational content on the 128GB quest 2

Do you need to download the educational content? Is it that much more... educational than streaming? Can't you just go to educationhub.com and watch?

Last edited:
I know ill buy it, barring some insane valve announcement. But I just don't preorder things, especially since meta is good at stocking shelves. Stoked to see how much better the FOV is. I hate the looking through diving goggles feel.

It's interesting how much more power Q3 is compared to Q2. I was using Q2 only with PC because of graphics, now it seems I can use Q3 much more often without PC.
Also 8GB of RAM (vs 6GB on Q2) means higher memory bandwidth? That can explain how Q3 is so much more powerful.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Do I still need a facebook account to use this thing? I don't mind making a separate account specifically for this, but when the Quest 2 came out I passed on it solely because I don't want to have to give Facebook / Meta / Instagram my real info.
No you don't!

I pre ordered mine, I'm quite excited tbh, October 10th is really close :)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm so close to pre ordering but compressed video sounds a bit dodgy for pc vr. So ita basically like home streaming to the headset?

I have a 4090 so I imagine I'm good for vram

CobraAB

I was close to getting a PSVR2 but decided on this instead.

Just not sure of Sony’s commitment on the thing.

Techies

I preordered mine from Amazon. I have no idea how stocked it's going to be.
It's confirmed that most headstraps like Bobovr m2 won't fit without the upcoming upgrade kit to m3, which is a bummer.
Wifi6e, 6Ghz should be possible now, 160mhz channel will put it on par with any link cable. Wifi6 was already great, now it should be basically perfect.

Unreal VR injector around the corner, looking forward to playing Darksiders 3, Life of pi in VR.

The standalone games look impressive. Although there's also been some nice boomer classics ported from 2D recently that run on Quest2 natively that might also get improvements on Quest3 with the enhanced performance. Fidelity of the pancake lenses, it would feel like a legit alternative to a TV screen now.

I can see myself literally walking around the house cleaning and doing stuff, while watching a movie. Demeo should be fun, even though I pllayed it a lot before. I can now make coffee, use my hands to roll the dice and play.

Funny thing is, it could also maybe play switch games, faster than a switch.

Last edited:
I'm so close to pre ordering but compressed video sounds a bit dodgy for pc vr. So ita basically like home streaming to the headset?

It's only way Quest can work with PC. It's not like internet streaming because it's very low latency (with cable). It's actually very playable but it comes with another (very big) layer of complexity because streaming (or Oculus Link) will have it's own graphics options and you will be mad trying to tune everything up with game settings. Get something with at least 12 GB of VRAM and very good CPU and you will be okay.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man, I feel like a wiener. This tech looks so awesome, and I should be excited about this. But the Facebook association still sours things for me. I want to like this, I want to get it… but after getting locked out of my Quest 2 for a while due to not logging into Facebook for a year, that really affected how I look at these products.

It’s such a bummer when shitbottle CEOs and execs ruin good things for consumers.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

Virtual Desktop has some excellent features like color enhancement, sharpening & super-resolution all offloaded to the headset GPU, or even "spacewarp" to interpolate extra motion frames using the headset GPU if your PC struggles. And if you have a good router in the same room, you can crank up the settings so that compression won't be something you notice.

To each his own, but once you go wireless I just can't imagine going back to a wire only to slightly enhance a bit of compression at the edges of the experience, while losing the benefits of wireless which are a total game changer for VR.

Romulus

Man, I feel like a wiener. This tech looks so awesome, and I should be excited about this. But the Facebook association still sours things for me. I want to like this, I want to get it… but after getting locked out of my Quest 2 for a while due to not logging into Facebook for a year, that really affected how I look at these products.

It’s such a bummer when shitbottle CEOs and execs ruin good things for consumers.

I've hadn't had a facebook in over a year and never had an issue. I play it almost daily.

Romulus

Virtual Desktop has some excellent features like color enhancement, sharpening & super-resolution all offloaded to the headset GPU, or even "spacewarp" to interpolate extra motion frames using the headset GPU if your PC struggles.

I had no idea it used the headset GPU to do this. Pretty fucking cool.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've hadn't had a facebook in over a year and never had an issue. I play it almost daily.
I'll have to try to reconfigure things. This was back in like... 2021 or something. I really haven't played with it much since then. It was just such an annoying hassle.

I haven't even gotten PSVR2 yet, either. In fact, I haven't even set up my Index in my new house yet... For someone who kickstarted the original Oculus Rift and then bought basically every VR headset after that, I sure am a fake VR gamer these days. :(

Come to think of it, I kinda stopped playing VR regularly after I beat Half-Life Alyx. That game was just too fucking good. I should play through it again.

Last edited:

Romulus

How does everyone feel about this vs. the PSVR2?

Very different.

Quest 3: More convenient, probably more comfortable, and better resolution, you can play wireless PCVR games and those are almost limitless, especially with mods.
Standalone has around 500 games, maybe 90 are decent-good, but that's way more than PSVR2 because walled off its library with PSVR1. Quest 3 plays Quest 2 games at higher resolutions and framerates, 50 of the bigger titles are customized for Quest 3 hardware.
Retro games.
Quest 2/3 has a nice retro mod library with quality ports via Team Beef
Doom 1-3, All the Quake games, Wolf, and a ton more...

Jedi Outcast and Academy with motion controls

PSVR2 has some games you just can't play anywhere else like GT7 RE8 etc. Big AAA games that are few but seemingly far between. Potential to get first-party stuff hopefully. I still play GT7 and its incredible, but I haven't really played anything else in 2 months. It's not a bad deal at all, but I feel like its a wait-and-see purchase unless you're a huge RE or GT fan.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Not really true, as I recall. Using the cable still means encoding the video to a different format, and that encoding has a major impact on your PC. Which is again why almost no one who has a PC which is struggling a bit with VR would ever use the cable. I can confirm along with others that your PC takes a major hit to do all that encoding fast enough while the game is running.
Huh that’s really odd.

MarkMe2525

Oh, so you were talking about the performance impact on the PC side of having to stream the game. That exists, but it just means you need a strong PC.

I've also found (along with many others... in fact I'd say this is the standard wisdom from the many forums where I've read about different setups) that Virtual Desktop gives you much better performance than either the real link cable or Airlink, if your PC is struggling. The way it encodes has significantly less overhead. My PC was struggling with Alyx on both Airlink and the cable, but it was a night-and-day improvement to use Virtual Desktop instead.

Not really true, as I recall. Using the cable still means encoding the video to a different format, and that encoding has a major impact on your PC. Which is again why almost no one who has a PC which is struggling a bit with VR would ever use the cable. I can confirm along with others that your PC takes a major hit to do all that encoding fast enough while the game is running.
Doesn't also have to encode the signal when outputting wireless

Buggy Loop

awesome. Is the quality good through the single USB C cable too? it will be replacing my old rift S

You'll be impressed with just airlink.

cable i would keep for sitting sims, racing, flight, etc. Everything else, airlink.

Wifi 6E + AV1 decoding, if not at launch, it will eventually be a massive upgrade further down the line over a Quest 2 streaming quality

LordOfChaos

Which size would people get? Never had one before but I'm very buy-curious here. Are there enough killer apps that 128GB would be an annoying struggle bus?

Annoying that the larger size is a pure cash grab on 8 dollars of NAND but with no storage expansion it is what it is

STARSBarry

Gold Member
has this got eye tracking yet? because its an amazing feature to have, I don't think I could buy a headset without it these days.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Doesn't also have to encode the signal when outputting wireless
It does for all 3 options: cable, AirLink (built-in wireless solution), and Virtual Desktop (3rd party wireless solution)

But these all have different performance. The compression used for Virtual Desktop is just so much lighter on your PC, which you may not notice if you have a monster machine, but most of us experience at least some struggle to avoid stutters or issues on heavier PC VR games.

You'll be impressed with just airlink.

cable i would keep for sitting sims, racing, flight, etc. Everything else, airlink.

Wifi 6E + AV1 decoding, if not at launch, it will eventually be a massive upgrade further down the line over a Quest 2 streaming quality

I'm sure AirLink has improved some since I last tried it, but I can't see any reason not to use Virtual Desktop when it includes all the in-headset upscaling and enhancement features, heavy focus on fast performance, tons of tweakable settings, and a lot of other QOL enhancements for connecting to your PC for virtual home theater views, etc.

KXVXII9X

Do I still need a facebook account to use this thing? I don't mind making a separate account specifically for this, but when the Quest 2 came out I passed on it solely because I don't want to have to give Facebook / Meta / Instagram my real info.
You don't need a FB account anymore. It has been like that for a year now.

Pcvr on quest 1 sucked ass, Hope this one has full video passthrough without video compression for pcvr. Not really interested in playing mobile vr games. Sucks we have very little competition in this space, valves deckard is likely to use x86 apu, which means it will be more powerful at the cost of size, weight and battery life,

Justin9mm

Yup. Just need a single USB-C cable (or USB3 to USB-C cable if your PC doesn’t have USB-C ports)
If you have really good internet speed and good WiFi 6, you don't even need a cable. The difference (at least in my setup) between cable and through my router is not discernible.

Poppyseed

Pre-ordered the 512GB on Amazon (search for 'Meta Stardust' to find it, at least until they list it properly). Games are pretty small, but educational videos are fucking massive and it was a real pain juggling all the educational content on the 128GB quest 2
Got a link? Can’t find it.

The only reason I don’t use my psvr2 is game quality, mostly look low poly awful.

The only ones to save were, resident evil, gran turismo and horizon . (Tried synapse and “ red something 2” and no good)

So this with a mobile cpu/gpu … meh no way.

20cent

Banned
Since I was looking for a comparo, I'll just post it here

RO7gIcE.png

Buggy Loop

Virtual Desktop has some excellent features like color enhancement, sharpening & super-resolution all offloaded to the headset GPU, or even "spacewarp" to interpolate extra motion frames using the headset GPU if your PC struggles. And if you have a good router in the same room, you can crank up the settings so that compression won't be something you notice.

To each his own, but once you go wireless I just can't imagine going back to a wire only to slightly enhance a bit of compression at the edges of the experience, while losing the benefits of wireless which are a total game changer for VR.

This

I started Half Life Alyx with cable. Mid-game i installed virtual desktop (no virtual link yet), and it was a game changer.

Never going tethered again.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

Yeah, I really hope Valve has something coming down the pike.

Since I was looking for a comparo, I'll just post it here

RO7gIcE.png

Interesting, so the Quest 3 is Dual LCD compared to single LCD for Quest 2? How does that impact things: FOV and IPDs, or something different?

I really want the 512GB model but it’s a whopping $200 CAD more. That’s kind of insane. Do we think Black Friday sales are possible?

Last edited:
Top Bottom