• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 releases on October 10.

Minsc

Gold Member
I played Tetris Effect and the upgrade in clarity over my Rift CV1 is immediately noticeable. However, the strap is just so bad, it's really uncomfortable. That's the only game I played so far as I don't have a Meta library, just games on my PC. I think it's scummy that Zuck is selling a horrid strap and then selling the fix alongside it, when we are talking about a $500+ device.

Even if you build in the battery strap at $130 + the $500 this device is still a steal imo. The only real negative is the blacks as MarkMe mentioned, but that's somewhat forgiven by how versatile and great everything else is.

But at $630 for everything this is? Super clear always in focus, pancake lens, super comfortable can use practically all day long, AV1 decoding, hand tracking, excellent controller battery life, excellent wifi, great quality PC VR / Steam VR. the list goes on and on.

Next to the PSVR2 even, this thing feels like a more premium, useful product to me, could easily be around $800 and still find it worth it.

And you technically get $120 back through the Asgard 1 / 2 free games, @ $60 each. I was going to buy AW1 though not at $60, on sale, so it's nice that was free.

Even if you build in the battery strap at $130 + the $500 this device is still a steal imo. The only real negative is the blacks as MarkMe mentioned, but that's somewhat forgiven by how versatile and great everything else is.

But at $630 for everything this is? Super clear always in focus, pancake lens, super comfortable can use practically all day long, AV1 decoding, hand tracking, excellent controller battery life, excellent wifi, great quality PC VR / Steam VR. the list goes on and on.

Next to the PSVR2 even, this thing feels like a more premium, useful product to me, could easily be around $800 and still find it worth it.

And you technically get $120 back through the Asgard 1 / 2 free games, @ $60 each. I was going to buy AW1 though not at $60, on sale, so it's nice that was free.
Easily around 800??? LOL

Techies

I played Tetris Effect and the upgrade in clarity over my Rift CV1 is immediately noticeable. However, the strap is just so bad, it's really uncomfortable. That's the only game I played so far as I don't have a Meta library, just games on my PC. I think it's scummy that Zuck is selling a horrid strap and then selling the fix alongside it, when we are talking about a $500+ device.
Just glad you can exhange it, I'm going for the BoboVR of course. Just like Quest2, with default strap it's just an incomplete device.

there are some other interesting straps out but I feel Halo plus the 'two supports' on top of head is the best solution out there for my big head anyways.

The elite atrap is just overpriced and after mine cracked last time I'm avoiding it.

Last edited:

Romulus

Even if it was $800, with 2 free AAA games it's not bad considering how flexible this thing is. The best portable option and a great PCVR option on top of everything else.

I mean the Index was around $1000 complete was it not? And this is a superior product in most ways. Just saying, compared to the PSVR2 @ $500 (or $600) it offers a much better value, lacking only a few things, but offering vastly more.
It's seems a great option but easily $800 it's a bit of a stretch, especially for standalone. What is has to offer is subjective.
The psvr 2 has its pros as well, the lenses aren't pancake but oled is far superior in blacks and colors. It has eye tracking, foveated rendering and cool haptics on the controllers and headset, plus pcvr quality games and Sony exclusives.
The Quest 3 for pcvr sounds great, but the majority of people will be buying it for standalone and mixed reality, thus anything over 600 will be a hard sell especially after the quest 2 low price...

SilentUser

Light brigade is not new, but awesome. I just discovered it last night, and it feels like a real game instead of a tech demo. The sound design is supreme, which I didn't realize I was missing in many games.
Absolutely! Hopefully more people will play this gem! My very first PSVR2 title and I only have fond memories about it, should do some more rounds since the latest major update brought tons of cool new stuff, also the audio with Pulse is sublime. Would love to see them adding coop, though. The game is perfect for that.

Ozriel

M$FT
hate to be that guy right in launch day, but gotta say it's kind of disappointing going back to check out the latest VR games and it's all still best sabre and alex

Those aren’t the ‘latest VR games’. Stop lying. Those show up in peoples favorite VR games, and certainly isn’t an indictment on the platform.

It’s like complaining about console gaming being stagnant because many people say their best games are Bloodborne from 2015 or Breath of the Wild from 2017.

Romulus

I think the lenses are slightly better for Quest 3, but this video gives you a good idea of what it looks like to me with these pancake lenses. The way you can see details is just different beyond the resolution numbers.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Loving it so far. First VR experience and really impressed. Just messing around so far. Thinking of getting RE4.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's seems a great option but easily $800 it's a bit of a stretch, especially for standalone. What is has to offer is subjective.
The psvr 2 has its pros as well, the lenses aren't pancake but oled is far superior in blacks and colors. It has eye tracking, foveated rendering and cool haptics on the controllers and headset, plus pcvr quality games and Sony exclusives.
The Quest 3 for pcvr sounds great, but the majority of people will be buying it for standalone and mixed reality, thus anything over 600 will be a hard sell especially after the quest 2 low price...

Yeah, it's a very weird set of units that don't really replace each other. The exclusive games like GT7 RE8 and RE4 and a few others are incredible experiences for sure. The blacks are perfect. Headset haptics are one-of-a-kind no other headset has them. It gets the benefit of the PS5 / PS5 Pro powering it. The HDR is great. Definitely a respectable set of positives. But almost all the negatives are address by the quest:
-Terrible clarity outside center sweet spot
-Sweet spot needs somewhat constant readjusting as headset moves
-Far less comfortable
-Cannot be wireless
-No apps/media
-Controllers only last ~4 hours on a charge.
-Requires PS5, and if you also need to get a PS5 can be a little pricey
-There's not any mods or PC VR with it.
-No mixed reality
Edit: - no/little backwards compatibility
Edit: +foveated rendering
Edit: +HDR
+Great blacks
+haptics
+exclusive hybrid AAA games (very few though)
+strong gpu/cpu for graphics
You can pretty much flip-flop those +/- points and have exactly the Quest 3 list haha. and media consumption (3D movies, Bigscreen, etc) Steam / PC VR, and wireless freedom are a pretty huge deal. And holy shit the clarity cannot be understated. You ever try loading up a flat game on the PSVR2 you almost cannot read anything outside dead center on it. Dragon Quest XI S was painful. Quest 3 is so clear and easy to read I can use my PC on it. Yeah, they certainly don't replace each other and have their own strengths/weaknesses, but the Quest 3 definitely has more of the strengths and few weakness than the PSVR2 does imo.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
THis headset pisses on any other ive used. The only issue is WHY ISN'T IT OLED! lol

The blacks are grey, let me pay 200 more for OLED and ill do it. I hope they release an update with eye tracking and an oled screen and Im day one. I'd give this the kids. More than happy overall though.

MarkMe2525

THis headset pisses on any other ive used. The only issue is WHY ISN'T IT OLED! lol

The blacks are grey, let me pay 200 more for OLED and ill do it. I hope they release an update with eye tracking and an oled screen and Im day one. I'd give this the kids. More than happy overall though.
This 1000%. Oled is sorely missed coming from the OG Quest. The clarity absolutely makes up for it, but why not both?

Romulus

Yeah, it's a very weird set of units that don't really replace each other. The exclusive games like GT7 RE8 and RE4 and a few others are incredible experiences for sure. The blacks are perfect. Headset haptics are one-of-a-kind no other headset has them. It gets the benefit of the PS5 / PS5 Pro powering it. The HDR is great. Definitely a respectable set of positives. But almost all the negatives are address by the quest:
-Terrible clarity outside center sweet spot
-Sweet spot needs somewhat constant readjusting as headset moves
-Far less comfortable
-Cannot be wireless
-No apps/media
-Controllers only last ~4 hours on a charge.
-Requires PS5, and if you also need to get a PS5 can be a little pricey
-There's not any mods or PC VR with it.
-No mixed reality
+Great blacks
+haptics
+exclusive hybrid AAA games (very few though)
+strong gpu/cpu for graphics

You can pretty much flip-flop those +/- points and have exactly the Quest 3 list haha. and media consumption (3D movies, Bigscreen, etc) Steam / PC VR, and wireless freedom are a pretty huge deal. And holy shit the clarity cannot be understated. You ever try loading up a flat game on the PSVR2 you almost cannot read anything outside dead center on it. Dragon Quest XI S was painful. Quest 3 is so clear and easy to read I can use my PC on it. Yeah, they certainly don't replace each other and have their own strengths/weaknesses, but the Quest 3 definitely has more of the strengths and few weakness than the PSVR2 does imo.

Agree with all the positives on PSVR2. It's great. along foveated rendering. Another negative I'll add is backward compatibility was a huge one for me. I hated a lot of things about PSVR1, but it had a strong library that should be on PSVR2. Quest 3 can run PCVR games that go back forever and mods that are standalone too. The flexibility of apps and games is absolutely ridiculous. I've gotten more enjoyment out of the Half Alyx and its mods than the entire PSVR2 lineup. While still fairly new of course, it just shows how limited PSVR2 is with no BC.
I will say the blacks look better in PCVR Quest 3 vs standalone. I heard Gamertag say that too.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This 1000%. Oled is sorely missed coming from the OG Quest. The clarity absolutely makes up for it, but why not both?

Exactly, I don't understand it...but hey ho....The thing blows away my rift S but i'd say the greyish blacks are about the same.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

BTW, whoever wants a referral to receive 25% off (and I get $5 credit) let me know. I own "Death unchained", ""pistol whipped", "beat saber", "light brigade (the best)", "golf+ (which is awesome)"

Edit: I had to look up more "RealVr Fishing (amazing)", "Gun Club", "Red Matter 1".

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
BTW, whoever wants a referral to receive 25% off (and I get $5 credit) let me know. I own "Death unchained", ""pistol whipped", "beat saber", "light brigade (the best)", "golf+ (which is awesome)"

Edit: I had to look up more "RealVr Fishing (amazing)", "Gun Club", "Red Matter 1".

I need to wait for payday but if you could ping me a referrals for all those that would be much appreciated. Deffo want fishing right now lol

phant0m

hate to be that guy right in launch day, but gotta say it's kind of disappointing going back to check out the latest VR games and it's all still best sabre and alex
The fuck are you even talking about, Dungeons of Eternity has been #1 on the store since before launch day. Yes Beat Saber is up there too but so is B&S Nomad, Bonelab and NFL Pro Era.

Ogbert

The first one got rave reviews and was total balls.

I’ll wait until normal people have played it.

Edit: wrong thread! I was talking about Asgard’s Wrath 2.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Has the pc vr been improved or is it still compressed video with lots of lag, even when wired.
It's been perfect for me, I am pretty picky about video compression and I don't notice any myself. And playing FPS like Half-Life 2 I felt no lag or visual issues at all. By almost all accounts from the youtube video reviewers and impressions posted online, the PC VR is a substantial upgrade in clarity (pancake lens) and overall IQ.

Top Bottom