• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 releases on October 10.

Romulus

My trusted youtube channels are bringing up an advantage they didn't expect. The Quest 3 is much better than Quest 2 at PCVR overall. Night and day apparently. Everyone expected slight improvements to clarity etc, but supposedly connectivity and the overall performance were superb. Both Beardo and Gamertag are great PCVR guys, so you know if they both said that, it's the real deal. That was the main thing that jumped out to them besides the standalone's extra power. Gamertag said it was so much better than Quest 2 that it gave him that "first time" in VR experience.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
My trusted youtube channels are bringing up an advantage they didn't expect. The Quest 3 is much better than Quest 2 at PCVR overall. Night and day apparently. Everyone expected slight improvements to clarity etc, but supposedly connectivity and the overall performance were superb. Both Beardo and Gamertag are great PCVR guys, so you know if they both said that, it's the real deal. That was the main thing that jumped out to them besides the standalone's extra power. Gamertag said it was so much better than Quest 2 that it gave him that "first time" in VR experience.

Yeah, I saw that gamertag one, he has WiFi 6 and said it was better than native, the blacks and sharpness streaming over PCVR (at least from what I can read from the subs, can't do audio atm).

I'm really curious to see AV1 impressions vs hevc or whatever, but someone needs to have a 4000 series card for that. Still I'm very happy it's shaping out good so far, but once it gets in to actual regular people's hands who post on forums we'll see. All the previews from the reviewers raved on the PSVR2 and then the people got it in their hands and didn't find the same results as the reviewers.

I'm excited for this thing, I think it's going to be a great investment and provide tons of new experiences from the Meta store and PC VR for me, and hopefully also provide a few new fun workout apps.

Resenge

I’m hearing reports that a lot of folks who ordered the 512GB version are getting notifications that it won’t arrive until November.
Meta has stated that the order has shipped but it won’t arrive for another 30 days. Sounds a bit shady to me.

seems to be a Europe issue
Amazon emailed me earlier informing me that I wont get my pre order tomorow and they are hoping to have it dispatched before the 20th.

Boo.

Edit
Fuck it, canceled and ordered the 128 as that will arrive tomorow, I'll get the 512 later and give the 128 to my kids.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

My 512 arrives tomorrow and I've ordered my zenni lenses, I'm so hyped for the upgrade over my rift s on pcvr. Can't wait.

jcorb

Honestly, "Meta" pulling that shit *raising* their prices astronomically on the Quest 2 has basically killed any interest I ever had of buying from the company.

Fuck em.

Rambone

Honestly, "Meta" pulling that shit *raising* their prices astronomically on the Quest 2 has basically killed any interest I ever had of buying from the company.

Fuck em.
While I think the price raise was not a pro move, I feel there was plenty of opportunity and ample time for people that wanted one to pick one up or at least save up for.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The reviews I've seen for the Quest 3 are generally very positive. Especially about the things I'm most interested in: pancake lenses, wireless PCVR, and color passthrough/mixed reality.

I was originally planning on getting it day-1, but I just burned way too much money on a trip so it might be a week or 2 after launch. We'll see.

phant0m

While I think the price raise was not a pro move, I feel there was plenty of opportunity and ample time for people that wanted one to pick one up or at least save up for.
Not to mention this is very much still an in-development segment of the industry. Cutting edge/pushing technology isn't cheap. Especially isn't cheap in the post-COVID world where even a basic combo at any fast food restaurant is now $12+. I know consumers are used to prices going down as tech advances and gets cheaper but that's not going to be the case for a while.

VC funds are drying up too, so tech companies actually have to charge consumers money to pay for their R&D, production costs and employees. Can't just bet on the future and "user growth" anymore while taking a loss.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I got a 512GB because the average sizes for current and future Quest VR games will only go up from here due to higher texture and bigger game scope

That's true and I don't think you'll regret it one bit, especially if you enjoy trying lots of VR games, but I think the hardware itself is not strong enough to see 100GB games or anything, there's definitely a limit to how far it'll get compared to the PS5 generation - it's not at that level yet. I personally feel like Asgard's Wrath 2 is going to be around the upper limit for most Q3 games, something like 40-50GB (I also think this is a particularly telling example as the first game was 2x the size, at ~100GBs), with the norm for Q3 games being in the very wide range of around 2GB-20GBs.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That's true and I don't think you'll regret it one bit, especially if you enjoy trying lots of VR games, but I think the hardware itself is not strong enough to see 100GB games or anything, there's definitely a limit to how far it'll get compared to the PS5 generation - it's not at that level yet. I personally feel like Asgard's Wrath 2 is going to be around the upper limit for most Q3 games, something like 40-50GB (I also think this is a particularly telling example as the first game was 2x the size, at ~100GBs), with the norm for Q3 games being in the very wide range of around 2GB-20GBs.

Yah but I think I’ll install lots of games on it.

Also a small portion will be for the OS

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm an idiot so I'll ask. For Quest 3 with PCVR, you need a capable rig to run the game tethered to the headset, right?

I don't think tethered is necessary in there (being wired or wireless has little effect), but you need a rig capable of running the game, yes. You can look at the Meta / PC Link store and see the requirements - some games I see 1000-series nVidia cards, others 2000-series, and some 3000-series. Obviously the better the rig, the better you can have the settings, but plenty of people have played Alyx on hardware worse than mine, so I'm not too worried about it. Plus it gives me a good reason to upgrade eventually.

ArtHands

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't think tethered is necessary in there (being wired or wireless has little effect), but you need a rig capable of running the game, yes. You can look at the Meta / PC Link store and see the requirements - some games I see 1000-series nVidia cards, others 2000-series, and some 3000-series. Obviously the better the rig, the better you can have the settings, but plenty of people have played Alyx on hardware worse than mine, so I'm not too worried about it. Plus it gives me a good reason to upgrade eventually.
I saw on Twitter that there's a VR mod for Ghostwire: Tokyo and man, that might be the thing to get me to invest in a capable PC and then headset at some point. 🫠

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I saw on Twitter that there's a VR mod for Ghostwire: Tokyo and man, that might be the thing to get me to invest in a capable PC and then headset at some point. 🫠

Yeah - you have a bigger palette for horror games than me - but I feel like if there's maybe ~30 games I have wishlisted on PSVR2, there's easily another 30+ on PCVR/Quest, probably closer to 50 games I'll want to play when you add in mods and give the library a second pass, so if I wasn't drowning in choices of what to play before, now I really will be. There's some really cool looking adventure-esque games and games not PSVR2, and stuff like RE4 original in VR. So yeah, I'm positive if you really look through what's out there, you'd find even more than what the PSVR2 offers, not counting any overlap with what is already on PSVR2.

Minsc

Gold Member
Can anyone provide a good link detailing how pcvr games are bought? Do you buy them through meta or steam or what?
Someone else may have a better answer, but I was told this is a good site to keep bookmarked.

As you can see from there, it links to the 3 main places - Quest Store (not PC VR), Rift Store, and Steam. The stuff from Steam and Rift Store can be played through Virtual Desktop for the easiest experience, Air link (a little less intuitive) and/or maybe a third option not sure. But Virtual Desktop is the big one most people like for it. It can launch the games and everything, so you don't even need to use the PC (other than it has to be on to run the games), everything can be done right from the headset, wireless.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Can anyone provide a good link detailing how pcvr games are bought? Do you buy them through meta or steam or what?
You can buy through Meta PC app or Steam. But I highly recommend buying on Steam, as Steam support all range of PCVR headsets. Which gives you the freedom to switch to a non-Meta VR headset and play the PCVR games you purchased

mclaren777

I literally need to dust off my Reverb G2 (been sitting in my garage, untouched since December 2020) and see how this compares to my new Q3. If the image quality is comparable, I'll have to find the HP a new home.

Hey I ordered a 128gb from very and it's coming today. But I've been concerned that I should have got the 512gb version.

Its been a disaster on meta/amazon for a lot of 512gb buyers so I thought I'd miss out and have to settle for the 128gb for launch day.....

Well I've just looked at Argos and my local store has a few 512gb to collect at 9am TODAY

Just got the 512gb and I can now send the VERY order back.

Argos also take PayPal credit to spread the cost if it helps!!

Good luck guys

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
There is a Meta store with games both PCVR and Quest-only. Then there is SteamVR games, like HL alyx and more, with it's own VR settings and that's bit a pain in the ass.

Minsc

Gold Member
You can buy through Meta PC app or Steam. But I highly recommend buying on Steam, as Steam support all range of PCVR headsets. Which gives you the freedom to switch to a non-Meta VR headset and play the PCVR games you purchased

AFAIK anything you buy through Meta Link PC store would indeed work on any PC VR headset, would it not? Just the Quest store stuff that runs on the headset itself, not a PC.

And if you're lucky there's a decent number of Meta/Link titles that are cross-buy, like Walkabout MiniGolf, so if you buy the Quest store version you also get the PC VR version for free.

ArtHands

AFAIK anything you buy through Meta Link PC store would indeed work on any PC VR headset, would it not? Just the Quest store stuff that runs on the headset itself, not a PC.

And if you're lucky there's a decent number of Meta/Link titles that are cross-buy, like Walkabout MiniGolf, so if you buy the Quest store version you also get the PC VR version for free.

No the PCVR games from Meta store only work with Oculus/Meta VR headsets connected to PC

ArtHands

Reviews roundup

[Adam Savage's Tested] - Meta Quest 3 In-Depth Review!

[Upload] - Meta Quest 3 Review: An Excellent VR Headset With Barely Passable Mixed Reality

[CNET] - My Life With the Meta Quest 3: The Best VR Headset for the Moment

[The Verge] - Meta Quest 3 review: almost the one we’ve been waiting for

[Tom's Guide] - Meta Quest 3 review: The best VR headset with mixed reality potential

[IGN] - Meta Quest 3 Review: Heir to the virtual throne

[Mixed News] - Meta Quest 3 Review: The best XR Headset by far

[Eurogamer] - Meta Quest 3 review impressions - one of VR gaming's best options

[PC Gamer] - Meta Quest 3 review: The best VR headset just got a whole lot better

[Polygon] - Meta Quest 3 is a major VR advancement in need of more games

[PCGamesN] - Meta Quest 3 review – the dawning of a golden era for VR gaming

[WIRED] - Meta Quest 3 Is an Excellent Portal to an Empty Metaverse

[Digital Trends] - Meta Quest 3 review: the VR headset you’ve been waiting for

[TechRadar] - Meta Quest 3 review - the new best VR headset for most people

[Engadget] - Meta Quest 3 review: A bit of mixed reality makes for better VR

[Mashable] - Meta Quest 3 review: There’s only one thing I dislike about this VR headset

[NPR] - Meta Quest 3 review: powerful augmented reality lacks the games to back it up

[VentureBeat] - Meta Quest 3 hands-on review — A big bet on mixed reality

[ZDNET] - Meta's $500 VR headset made me a little less excited about Apple's Vision Pro

[Android Central] - Meta Quest 3 review: The best VR headset you can buy

[The Independent] - Meta Quest 3 early impressions review: Is this the VR headset we’ve been waiting for?

[Evening Standard] - Meta Quest 3 review: a slick, stylish headset that does everything better

[Road to VR] - Quest 3 Review – A Great Headset Waiting to Reach Its Potential

https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-quest-3-review-mixed-reality/

Minsc

Gold Member
No the PCVR games from Meta store only work with Oculus/Meta VR headsets connected to PC

Interesting, thanks for the info... then that's definitely a consideration, but it's not like many of the PSVR1 games worked on the PSVR2 too lol. Still good to know! I stand corrected, though I didn't know for 100%.

I would have expected Virtual Desktop would be able to fool the Rift PC games from the meta store in to thinking there was a compatible headset, but I guess not. Still as it is the Quest 3 thread, and there is a tangible benefit to buying software that runs natively and requires no PC at all, something to balance out, unless of course there's no native version at all.

I guess a few PC VR - Quest only exclusives exist then? I am not sure, but I don't think Asgard's Wrath 1 or a few other bigger PC VR titles exist outside that rift store?

FingerBang

Got my 512GB as expected. Will play with it later. It's sold out (the 512, not 128) on Amazon uk too.

The hunger is real!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Managed to have a brief shot at lunchtime. The MR game is stunning. Much better than I thought it might be.

ArtHands

Interesting, thanks for the info... then that's definitely a consideration, but it's not like many of the PSVR1 games worked on the PSVR2 too lol. Still good to know! I stand corrected, though I didn't know for 100%.

I would have expected Virtual Desktop would be able to fool the Rift PC games from the meta store in to thinking there was a compatible headset, but I guess not. Still as it is the Quest 3 thread, and there is a tangible benefit to buying software that runs natively and requires no PC at all, something to balance out, unless of course there's no native version at all.

I guess a few PC VR - Quest only exclusives exist then? I am not sure, but I don't think Asgard's Wrath 1 or a few other bigger PC VR titles exist outside that rift store?

You can use Revive to play Meta (Oculus) PCVR games on non-Meta VR headsets like HTC Vive, but this won't be perfect.

I haven't try using Virtual Desktop myself for that though, might work. But to save all the troubles it is best to play from Steam whenever possible

Danknugz

hate to be that guy right in launch day, but gotta say it's kind of disappointing going back to check out the latest VR games and it's all still best sabre and alex

ArtHands

hate to be that guy right in launch day, but gotta say it's kind of disappointing going back to check out the latest VR games and it's all still best sabre and alex

Check again.

Assassin's Creed and Asgard's Wrath 2 is coming this year.

Resenge

Check again.

Assassin's Creed and Asgard's Wrath 2 is coming this year.
I'm not an Assassins Creed fan on flat screen but I am looking forward to the VR version. Just to add a few more suggestions.

Is just about to get multiplayer apparently.

And the latest one Im enjoying is..

All of these are very good games.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Plus games are getting MR modes for Quest 3. I must admit Synth Riders in MR sounds like it could be cool too, and I'm definitely curious to see how the MR modes change up the existing library when it's applicable. Same for the MR Lego building game, could be neat depending on how well the tracking works. At least you won't be crashing in to tables and lamps in the MR mode, as much anyway.

But yeah, there's not way you could watch this video and say there's only a couple games imo. Unless you played them all already, there's a good 30+ games there rated over 80, and many of the 65-80 range may also be worth looking at too. Granted they're not ALL Quest/PCVR, but the majority are.

MarkMe2525

The quest 3 has been fucking awesome so far. PSA to any potential elite strap buyers, they have some on Amazon for the 3rd of the price. I got an elite strap knockoff for $33 and it works really well. Same for "active straps", I got controller covers with integrated hand straps for $11, and they fit great.

Enough of that though, the color pass through really does work well. I'm not really interested in mixed reality, so my use case for pass through is walking through the kitchen to grab a drink, and it's infinitely easier to do now. I also changed a diaper through passthrough, to which my 11 month old was cracked up over, so that was fun.

The sharpness of the image is there. I'm coming from Quest 1 so it is as if I received glasses for the first time. Image quality is great on games that take advantage. I'm able to comfortably watch movies in bigscreen now, which wasn't true with the Quest 1.

Multiple tasking it totally a usable thing now. I can be in thr middle of a game, pull up menu to browse internet, to then hop back in the world seamlessly without hiccups. Such a big difference from the Quest 1 which would spaz out anytime I needed to pull up a menu. This SoC is bringing the heat.

Now for the big negative. The contrast fucking sucks. Every dark area loses all details and comes across as washed out. I knew going from the oled in Quest 1 would make a difference, but I had no idea it would be this notable. Bright content is awesome, and dark content just doesn't look that good. Such a shame. It isn't as noticeable when I'm playing a game, but in bigscreen it rears its ugly head. The dark theater areas are bad 👎.

Last edited:

Romulus

Resist has a massive update for Quest 3 if you like 6th-generation style games.

30% higher resolution
Framerate increased to 90fps from 72.
Better shadows
Increased NPCs/traffic
Increased reflections

This is the Quest 2 launch trailer

MarkMe2525

Light brigade is not new, but awesome. I just discovered it last night, and it feels like a real game instead of a tech demo. The sound design is supreme, which I didn't realize I was missing in many games.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I played Tetris Effect and the upgrade in clarity over my Rift CV1 is immediately noticeable. However, the strap is just so bad, it's really uncomfortable. That's the only game I played so far as I don't have a Meta library, just games on my PC. I think it's scummy that Zuck is selling a horrid strap and then selling the fix alongside it, when we are talking about a $500+ device.

MarkMe2525

I played Tetris Effect and the upgrade in clarity over my Rift CV1 is immediately noticeable. However, the strap is just so bad, it's really uncomfortable. That's the only game I played so far as I don't have a Meta library, just games on my PC. I think it's scummy that Zuck is selling a horrid strap and then selling the fix alongside it, when we are talking about a $500+ device.
I mentioned it a few posts up. I got an elite strap knockoff for $33 off of Amazon. It works really well and allows for hours of use without discomfort.

Edit: wrong price

Last edited:
Top Bottom